The fourth instrument I'm working on...for a production tenor uke.

Livetosculpt

Reaction score
This is a tenor uke body I sculpted that I thermoform out of ABS plastic. It is the second generation design, the first is the more rounded image that's painted blue. I have a prototype that I built up, and the sound is quite amazing!

Attachments

• ABS#1.jpg
    ABS#1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 150
  • ABS#2.jpg
    ABS#2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 134
  • ABS#3.jpg
    ABS#3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 116
  • ABS#4.jpg
    ABS#4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 146
  • ABS#5.jpg
    ABS#5.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 133
Cool. But you have to come up with a better name for the ABS. Something catchy like "Ukelite" or "tonelene". Maybe "ovationoid"?

Good point! It's all in the marketing. Plastone. Durasound, I like tonelene. Tonelene is good because ABS is a modified styrene.

I just made a form for laying up the body with recycled materials like denim, old printed t-shirts, old magazines etc. When I get some time I want to build a prototype. Like carbon fiber without the carbon...I'll have to name that too!

nice

Good point! It's all in the marketing. Plastone. Durasound, I like tonelene. Tonelene is good because ABS is a modified styrene.

I just made a form for laying up the body with recycled materials like denim, old printed t-shirts, old magazines etc. When I get some time I want to build a prototype. Like carbon fiber without the carbon...I'll have to name that too!

Do you build guitars or other traditional construction ukes?

I love Port Washington. I work with a camp in fredonia.

Not yet! I've only built three complete instruments so far, I'm teaching myself as I build. If you would like to visit when you are in this area and see what I'm doing, let me know. I'd be glad to spend some time with you.

John

Really love the look of it. The curved lines and the blue. Great work!

Not yet! I've only built three complete instruments so far, I'm teaching myself as I build. If you would like to visit when you are in this area and see what I'm doing, let me know. I'd be glad to spend some time with you.

John

I am right behind you (in teaching myself).
I've got most of the tools needed and I do repairs all the time. (mostly minor guitar stuff).

I'm a bandsaw and a few handtools away from starting (I'm not going to start until I've got what I need.... no hand sawing necks for me).

I'd definitely look you up, I'll be going back this fall, maybe timing will work out.

It's one thing to design and build them. It's another whole thing to sell them (especially if you're going to wholesale them) and not lose your ass. Just try getting paid for past the first ten... We're at about 300 ukes, and it's still not easy...

It's one thing to design and build them. It's another whole thing to sell them (especially if you're going to wholesale them) and not lose your ass. Just try getting paid for past the first ten... We're at about 300 ukes, and it's still not easy...

You just get prepaid. That's standard for custom type stuff. Don't trust those shady music store people! Hey Rick, are you setting up at NAMM this year?

Who prepays? I only get pre-paid on true custom work and then only 50%. I don't know any dealers who will fully prepay. Sometimes it's hard to get paid at all even when instruments are sold on consignment.

Only if you pay your dues dearly and gain a tremendous reputation on-line. Most people want to be able to play before they buy, and that's what music stores are for. And you have to get a lot of uke out there before the general public starts to notice. We've got over 300 Compass Rose ukes out there now, and it's starting to make sense.

We who are pros and who post here make what the bulk of the uke community consider extreme high end instruments. We have a big uke club here with sophisticated uke owners, and I still think that if you did a survey of a typical night and priced the 60 or 70 ukes in the room, you'd find an average price of under $400.00. I don't really know about everyone else here, but my simplest and least expensive ukes start at close to a grand.

Will do. I'm probably a couple months out. I'm developing a sugar free chocolate right now for my chocolate business, with Stevia. So I'm trying to stay on task. I have my second prototype ABS uke very close to completion.

That looks cool! I'm interested. Email me when you start selling.

Let me know when you're in our area and we can plan a time to meet.

I am right behind you (in teaching myself).
I've got most of the tools needed and I do repairs all the time. (mostly minor guitar stuff).

I'm a bandsaw and a few handtools away from starting (I'm not going to start until I've got what I need.... no hand sawing necks for me).

I'd definitely look you up, I'll be going back this fall, maybe timing will work out.

Maybe there's a small niche out there for a sculptor designing and building unconventional ukes. Maybe not. But so far it's been a really fun ride. I'd like to continue experimenting with different designs and more abstract shapes as I learn more about the acoustics and playability of the instruments. I think this is more of a personal challenge to me than just creating a production uke. I certainly cannot compete with awesome luthiers like Rick, and that's not my motivation.

Top Bottom