Uke in progress

RPA_Ukuleles

Reaction score
Here's a soprano I'm working on. It's a gift for my mother's birthday. She asked for one. And I was surprised she wanted one, but hey... if she want's a uke for her 79th birthday... who can say no to that? The body is made of cedar. Not sure the exact variety, but it's from her yard so all the more special. The bindings and fretboard are purpleheart. The bridge and my logo/initials on the peghead, also purpleheart. Mahogany neck. I'm debating on carving some purpleheart violin style pegs for it. Kind of time consuming so... we'll see.

The Cedar was surprisingly stiff, and tapping on the soundbox has quite a ringing tone. Hope the sound is good, but in this case, it's really the thought that counts. Will post a pic when completed. I am really loving the build of this one!

Purplhrt.jpg

Oh man, you totally took my idea. I'm also working on a soprano with purpleheart fingerboard and bridge for my mom's birthday. Of course, your piece of cedar is beautiful. I was wondering how much black fret markers would show up, I guess you answered my silent question. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Dan

Nice. How is it to bend cedar?

Thanks, the cedar bent "okay". I did have a crack near the neck block that had to be mended before I glued it up in the form. The sides are one continuous piece, so that added some difficulty to the bend.

It smelled pretty good when it was on the iron!

...I was wondering how much black fret markers would show up

Dan

There are no fret markers in yet, those are just the holes. A little bit out of sequence, but I think I can get some abalone in there with the frets in place.

I'm hoping the fingerboard stays purple. Not sure if I should put oil on it or not.?

Top Bottom