A little bit of Blackwood for stock

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Just took procession of some Blackwood (Acacia Menaloxylon) with my mate Micheal Connor. This stuff comes from the Otway region of Australia. Still green so will season for quite some time.

It's going to make quite a few ukulele sets. Will even get some guitar sets out of several of the boards if the mood strikes. Looks like we'll have some really nicely figured Blackwood for "Build a Uke" classes for years to come.

IMG_1310.jpgIMG_1311.jpg

Nice Allen. Blackwood is such great wood. For those of you who don't know the beauty of it- here are a few things i've made from it. The one with the sapwood figure (well, rot) is my personal guitar.

blackwood.jpgguitar and uke.jpgloo JY.jpgloo.jpgooo.jpg The uke shown in my profile/avatar pic is also Tassy Blackwood.

Last edited:
Wow...that should keep you going for a while. That would satisfy even my wood acquisition syndrome (for a few months anyway)

I am not wholly convinced by this wood. Looks and works great but the few instruments I have built with it, in the final analysis seem a bit under powered compared with King koa...

Just took procession of some Blackwood (Acacia Menaloxylon) with my mate Micheal Connor. This stuff comes from the Otway region of Australia. Still green so will season for quite some time.

It's going to make quite a few ukulele sets. Will even get some guitar sets out of several of the boards if the mood strikes. Looks like we'll have some really nicely figured Blackwood for "Build a Uke" classes for years to come.

View attachment 41665View attachment 41666

They're quite green right now. They will get to dry for a few months and then we'll split them in half and let them season for a while after that. From there it will just be a wait and see. Test a board to see if it can be sliced up at around 2.5mm with a nice clean cut (hate cutting at 5mm just to get a board that will salvage out to 2.0mm when it's cut too early). And when that's done it will go into the dehumidification kiln for a nice slow curing.

I'd say at best there will be some ready to go in a years time.

And to think all I've scored lately is a 1x3x0.5m packing crate made from planks of Norway spruce. I had to pull it out of the dumpster myself too.

Good score, Liam. I've just deconstructed an ugly old 70's dressing table made from South American mahogany. Not sure which particular country but I'll be able to tell from its accent once it finds its voice.
Miguel

Got another Baritone done yesterday Bill. Similar to the one you got to play at Bosko's and I think it sounds even better. Red spruce top on this one. It'll be off to Melbourne soon.

Top Bottom