If you had $1,000 and no ukulele......

BassGuyukin'

Reaction score
Hello, I'm sure some form of this question has been asked before, but I am fairly new here and have only been playing ukulele for a few months now. I started out with a few inexpensive ukes ($100-$200 range), bought a nice one for $800, bought a few more affordable ones and am now thinking of a custom made Kanilea.

So my question is, if you do not have any ukuleles at all, and you have $1,000 to spend, do you buy one very nice uke, a couple decent ones, a bunch of cheap ones or what? Of course if you wanted a variety, say a 4-string tenor, a 6-string tenor and a soprano then you'd need to spread the money around. So of course having one of very good quality or a variety of cheaper ukes is to be considered. And yes I know some ukes are of very high quality for just a few hundred $$.

Anyway, I'm going through these questions for myself right now and was just wondering what you all thought!

If you can, afford a nice one get it....you will save in the long run and your house won't be cluttered with lots of low end ukes...Plus
you will have a way better sounding and more comfortable playing uke which you will learn faster....Go for it man...Happy Strummings..
be sure you try playing it before you buy it so you know you get the one you like.....if possible, as at that price, You won't want to make a
mistake and get one you don't like...

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far! I keep seeing all these varieties and brands of ukes and I want them all! Some are very affordable, but then yeah, I end up with a bunch of cheap ukes that are OK, but not the kind of instrument I fall in love with. I am starting to agree with the trend, better to put my efforts into one or two nice ukes rather than an arsenal of mediocre ones.

Me personally? I'd get a Koaloha Pineapple Longneck with case/humidifier upgrade and use the rest of the money to pay for shipping and customs into Germany.

I'd get a Mya Moe tenor tradition and scrape up an extra 100 bucks for peghead tuners.

One nice one. Seriously. Afterall you can only play one at a time, and it gives you time to get acquainted with your new uke buddy!

I'd get a stock Kanile'a K1 and possibly pocket a bit of change for other bits and pieces down the line (case etc)

Beyond the stock models, you are only paying for finish and bling, and if I was only having one uke, i'd want the money spent on tone.

Having spent an inordinately large amount of time swapping back & forth between high and low G, I'd spend the money on 2 Tenors, and have one in each tuning.

+1 to Big Kahuna

I like having one low G and one high G tenor on hand.

But now that I think of it... I also subscribe to the idea of getting a quality instrument as opposed to a bunch of borderline ones.

Get a quality tenor. Play it and love it while you save up more money and then get another tenor to string it the other way... then you have a quality high g and a quality low g :)

Then play those two while you save up for a pineapple, or a long neck soprano, or a concert...

Having spent an inordinately large amount of time swapping back & forth between high and low G, I'd spend the money on 2 Tenors, and have one in each tuning.

If you can, afford a nice one get it....you will save in the long run and your house won't be cluttered with lots of low end ukes...Plus
you will have a way better sounding and more comfortable playing uke which you will learn faster....Go for it man...Happy Strummings..
be sure you try playing it before you buy it so you know you get the one you like.....if possible, as at that price, You won't want to make a
mistake and get one you don't like...

I agree 100%!!!! :agree::agree::agree:

Yep, buy one good one.

...if you do not have any ukuleles at all, and you have $1,000 to spend...
I wouldn't be a ukulele player if I didn't have any ukes, so why would a novice with no experience on the instrument (and obviously no prior interest in it) spend $1,000 on a totally unknown quantity? $200 might be a lot more reasonable.

If I had no ukes and $1,000 to spend... I would probably still be a guitar player, so I'd be looking at another six-string. Or maybe that Epiphone bass I've been reading about. Or paying my annual motorcycle insurance...

Well I have spent a lot on wallhangers so far, but am still scared of the solid wood instruments. I'd probably buy two decent laminates.

I'd get just one nice one. But then again, I'm one of the minority that believes that having just one good one is enough.

Top Bottom