$100-200 dollar ukes?

J-dawg5

Reaction score
hey UUers!!!! My girl friends been strumming now for a few months now, and shes getting pretty good. her birthdays coming up and i want to get her a nicer uke cause she has isnt that nice, any suggestions of nice ukes in the 100-200 dollar range, perferibly a concert or soprano. thanks guys! :shaka:

Last edited by a moderator:
hey UUers!!!! My girl friends been strumming now for a few months now, and shes getting pretty good. her birthdays coming up and i want to get her a nicer uke cause she has isnt that nice, any suggestions of nice ukes in the 100-200 dollar range, perferibly a concert or soprano. thanks guys! :shaka:

Big difference from 189- 220.... save 19 bucks for the concert, or get her a soprano for 189.00 a couple bucks more and get a
Mainland...she will be alot more happy and jumping for joy...believe me...:eek: Go for it Dude....http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=9&categoryId=3
here is their site..http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3 good luck, if you are out to make her smile, this is
the way to go!!

Last edited:
Big difference from 189- 220.... save 19 bucks for the concert, or get her a soprano for 189.00 a couple bucks more and get a
Mainland...she will be alot more happy and jumping for joy...believe me...:eek: Go for it Dude....http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=9&categoryId=3
here is their site..http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3 good luck, if you are out to make her smile, this is
the way to go!!

Wow, that concert is pretty... and if you're saying they're good... maybe my concert is not so far down the road...

I second the Bruko advice. I got a No. 6 from Thomman Music store online. With shipping to the US, exchange rate on my credit card, and any other fees etc. it came to like $175 or $180. Great ukulele and I can't put it down. Plus the headstock is very cool looking.

Lucky girl!!!!
My vote goes for a Flea or a Fluke. a Flea (fleamarketmusic.com) was my first uke and most days it is still my favorite uke because:
1. Great intonation all the way up the fretboard (I have realized sound is more important than looks as I have travelled on my ukulele path & I have realized that great intonation is not as common as you (I) might expect)
2. Indestructible. Well, it seems like it. I do not pamper this uke. It goes hiking with me and to the beach, it lies around the house, comes to parties... it does not have it's own humidifier :eek:
3. High fun factor. DIfferent colors. It's not so expensive so I have felt free to decorate it with stickers so now it is 'one of a kind'.
4. Stands out in a crowd.
I am sure your girl friend will appreciate whatever uke you decide on. Have you thought of getting her input? I know the surprise factor is a great part of the gift but maybe she has her eye on something...
Happy hunting!
ME

I like my Lanikai ($129) but it was only after trying ALL the sub-$200 ukes in my local store that I settled on it. There's a lot of variation in this price class, even among the same models.

I had thought of getting one of the more expensive models, but all of the fretboard actions were too high or too low and the store I bought from wasn't able to adjust them (and I'm a newbie and the thought of putting a nail file to a brand new uke scares me). The ones with high actions really hurt my newbie fingers.

I think she'd be much much happier if you gave her a birthday card with a picture of a uke in it and ask her to go to the store with you and she can select the one she likes the most.

Then she can choose a concert, soprano, tenor, etc. She might like the design of one, the color of another, the tonality of a third, the feel of the strings of a fourth, etc. :)

I think for newbies, it's really important for us to touch and feel the ukes we play with before buying. When we get up to 5+ ukes, then maybe we can do mailorder. ;-)

Karen

Top Bottom