Mya Moe

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
I've just been browsing their site and having a fiddle with the Uke builder.

I spotted a Uke in the gallery with a single sided headstock, but I can't find an option for it.

498Full.jpg

I also noticed a section that mentioned they'll build a Uke with a Quilted Maple top, but again, no option to select it.

Do any of you Mya Moe owners know if it's possible to personalise a build with them, maybe design your own headstock shape within reason etc ?

I will, I just thought it was worth asking here first, as so many of you own them and have dealt with them already. I don't want to be wasting someone's valuable time if I'm not at the point where I'm ready to order one (or even know if it's a MM I want).

I'm wastin' your time instead, 'cause y'all got nothin' better to do than read this forum ;)

In one of the videos Gordon says they often turn down certain requests, and try to keep things simple, as if they accommodate one request, then everyone will want the same thing and it will be more work than they can do. I love the simplicity of their ukes, though.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwqFf-Sp2Mg&list=PL9AF2972D40BFF2AD&index=31&feature=plpp_video

I don't think you'd be wasting their time if you call. Answering questions from potential buyers is part of any job that involves a sales transaction. You wouldn't go into a shop and buy something you were unsure of without asking a salesperson (as scarce as they make themselves)? Would you?

I e-mailed Gordon last week with an inquiry about extending the fretboard all the way down and having the bottom curve to follow the radius of the sound hole on my upcoming build.

Within 30 minutes, there was a very detailed e-mail sent back from Gordon with a request denial, explaining exactly why they felt that it should not be done. I was quite appreciative of the quick response, honesty and attention to customer service.

I think he must have a laptop attached to his chest. I got a reply within 7 minutes. And when you take off the 5 minutes it probably took him to answer my stupid questions, that's a 2 minute reply! Not to mention the other 3 emails he sent in response to my additional questions, all within the space of 20 minutes that he could have spent doing something more important.

These folks are currently at the top of my list based on that alone.

The fact that they do cutaways, single sided headstocks and radiused fingerboards just seals the deal.

Just give Char a call and she will be happy to discuss whatever options you want. I have a Mya Moe pineapple tenor that is the most playable uke up and down the frets that I've ever touched.

Just give Char a call and she will be happy to discuss whatever options you want. I have a Mya Moe pineapple tenor that is the most playable uke up and down the frets that I've ever touched.

I have a pineapple tenor from MM scheduled for a Feb 2013 delivery (#958). NIce to hear about yours playing well, lkdumas. What # is yours?

Myamor experience the real deal

:drool::eek:
I think he must have a laptop attached to his chest. I got a reply within 7 minutes. And when you take off the 5 minutes it probably took him to answer my stupid questions, that's a 2 minute reply! Not to mention the other 3 emails he sent in response to my additional questions, all within the space of 20 minutes that he could have spent doing something more important.

These folks are currently at the top of my list based on that alone.

The fact that they do cutaways, single sided headstocks and radiused fingerboards just seals the deal.

Just received our his and hers bari's monday of this week after a 6 month wait. (nos. 783 and 785), and well worth it. The ukes are everything that we expected and more. Besides the product, the process was just as exceptional. These guys are incredible to work with. I get totally frustrated when people take days to respond to an e-mail or phone message. Response from Myamoe was almost instantaneous through the whole process. I could talk about sustain, volume, tone, etc, but you really have to play one to to appreciate them. I'm saving my empty beer cans now and should soon be able to order a MM tenor soon.

The process was one of the big selling points for me when I was considering my custom uke. I kept seeing references to "MM" and "Gordon and Char" and "Mya-Moe" and it intrigued me enough to go and find their website.

As I watched the videos and cruised their website, it really made me want to experience the "Mya-Moe process" with the personal attention through the configuration, wood selection, and build process. I felt like Mya-Moe provided a unique experience in that I would be as involved in my uke production process as I could be without actually being local to them and stopping by the shop every couple of days to keep tabs on my instrument :p

Couple all of that with Gordon and Char's attention to customer service (case in point the speedy email replies) and their transparency (shop tours, videos on everything and anything related to their build process etc.) it really made me feel great about starting this journey. All of this combined with the great reviews that their instruments get here on UU and I was sold.

As soon as I got my line in the build queue the number 983 took on a whole new significance to me. The dates February 11, 2013 and March 5th, 2013 suddenly became noteworthy, and it's the closest that I will probably get to feeling something like awaiting the birth of a child (until i have one of my own) and I will be anxiously awaiting uketracker photos like a parent waits for ultrasound pictures.

The Mya-Moe website talks a lot about the "Mya-Moe Sound" but I think the "Mya-Moe Process" is as big a part of what makes Mya-Moe what they are.

Well said, Panda! Gordon and Char offer a remarkable customer experience, and I'm a pretty demanding customer. I would recommend them to anyone--they are the best.

Well said, Panda! Gordon and Char offer a remarkable customer experience, and I'm a pretty demanding customer. I would recommend them to anyone--they are the best.

Me too !, I am lucky to own two Mya-Moe's.
The whole process was fun.

I've just been browsing their site and having a fiddle with the Uke builder.

I spotted a Uke in the gallery with a single sided headstock, but I can't find an option for it.

498Full.jpg

I also noticed a section that mentioned they'll build a Uke with a Quilted Maple top, but again, no option to select it.

Do any of you Mya Moe owners know if it's possible to personalise a build with them, maybe design your own headstock shape within reason etc ?

#629 has a similar headstock. What number is that one? Great looking headstock.

Last edited:
I think I'd want the headstock slimming down a little up near the pointy end. Once I have the cash, I might ask the question.

Top Bottom