Rick Turner on Terry Gross' "Fresh Air" today...

Rick Turner

Reaction score
We hope! Could be bumped but...I got a heads up last night.

My old band, Autosalvage, from 1966 to 1968 is being featured in a profile by rock historian Ed Ward on Terry Gross' "Fresh Air" today on National Public Radio.

We were what? I guess proto-prog/psychedelic/punk might cover it. We did one album for RCA, got really nice reviews in Crawdaddy, Cream, the Village Voice, and Rolling Stone; the album has been re-releaset twice, once in vinyl on Edsel Records, once as a CD on Evangeline. Now it's on both iTunes and Last FM (where's the money?) and various people have posted some of the songs on YouTube.

There's talk of a reunion, and of course, I'll have to use uke on something or other! We're putting together a website, www.autosalvagemusic.com It's just a place holder right now, but a real site is coming soon with some old photos that our bass player, Skip Boone found. I've posted a couple of them on my Facebook page. Skip is the brother of Lovin' Spoonful bassist Steve Boone and he indeed started his long musical career on...drum roll, please....ukulele sometime in the 1950s.

We may wind up being the band with the longest time between gigs...45 years!

Please stand by!

Thanks for the heads up, Rick. I was looking for an excuse, besides 105 degrees, to stay in the shop, fiddle around with ukes and listen to NPR.

Just got the word from Phyllis Meyers at WHYY that it's a go for today...airs from 2:00 to 3:00 and 7:00 to 8:00 Pacific time, probably the same elsewhere.

That's awesome!!! I love NPR.

Wow. You guys were great. Edgy and psychedelic.

Podcast is pending still. Shouldn't be long.

That was a nice piece, Rick. So, am I correct in assuming that the pull of moving west was like the Yoko Ono of Autosalvage?

Congrats on the upcoming reunion gig at SXSW...

Top Bottom