Recommendation for a "method" for private lessons for an 11 year old...?

beautifulsoup

Reaction score
I've got a pile of method books at home. I like The Hal Leonard/Lil' Rev, but I'm not sure the song selection in that book is right for age 11.

Mel Bay Easy Method: I dunno.

I've got some others I could look through. Some of the kid's ukulele methods I've seen seem "too young."

Or.. perhaps I could come up with my own bunch of stuff/activities to start him off.

As usual, I seem to be thinking out loud while I'm posting my question. Still, I wonder if you all have any recommendations?

Thanks.

keep it fun. Teach him/her songs they know, and like. At that age, they are "trying" to act and be like older teenaged brothers and sisters, so teach them things current and cool..

I've got a pile of method books at home. I like The Hal Leonard/Lil' Rev, but I'm not sure the song selection in that book is right for age 11.

Mel Bay Easy Method: I dunno.

I've got some others I could look through. Some of the kid's ukulele methods I've seen seem "too young."

Or.. perhaps I could come up with my own bunch of stuff/activities to start him off.

As usual, I seem to be thinking out loud while I'm posting my question. Still, I wonder if you all have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Keep the lessons short.

Can get this for around $20 bucks with a little searching. He needs a good "foundation" of the basics. combine practing chords with Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp, and a few of his favorite songs. 11 year olds who have musical talent pick this stuff up faster than you think. Ukulele for Dummies is also good, but you have to determine how easily he "gets" playing the uke,

http://www.emediamusic.com/dvdrsc.html

He's 11. I don't think you need to keep it short or just teach chords with no rhyme or reason to them because he might not understand anything else. I've been on both ends of that stick. Plenty of kids are taking all sorts of music lessons by that age, and I've given lessons and I didn't have to do any special consideration past what you'd normally do when teaching anyone.

If the Lil Rev book has a proper method to it, meaning teaching notation, go for that. Sure it's not playing I'm Yours, but he'll learn more and he can handle knowing that. What you could do is use that method book and then throw in the Boot Camp stuff because those chords are so very handy. No need to stick to just one method. When you start to feel that frustration coming through, then throw in a duet where he can start to hear and feel it all come together.

In terms of the theory questions, I'd let the Lil Rev book be the foundation of those. The questions will come and instead of any one book I'd rather just talk it out with some staff paper and various bits from lots of books copied as crib sheets. For example, you'll probably throw in the circle of 5ths when he's ready... or you could not use that, and teach the same thing just using a staff. Whatever seems more natural, but it sounds better coming from you, than it does as "take this and learn it." :)

Of course you don't have to be a stick in the mud. Music is fun, but it's also challenging and I think it's ok to leave some of that challenge on the table. I didn't like being patronized at that age and I don't think any preteen does.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I'll use Lil Rev of Mel Bay as a foundation, and supplement with "cool" tunes.

That really sounds like a plan. My first lessons were on clarinet, and the teacher was kinda boring and without much personality. But she did do duets when I was ready, and that was the part I looked forward to most. But then her husband would sub for her sometimes, and he taught using the same exact book, but with 100% more awesomesauce in his personality. Between him and my first band director... if not for them I may be playing squat nothing today. :)

Top Bottom