New Vintage Martin Day

gnordenstam

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Today I purchased a vintage Style 1 Martin from a private party. It's from the 40's - 50's era.

Beautiful condition, no cracks, minimal wear, straight and level neck/fretboard. One ding to the corner of the headstock quite a while ago based on the color/discolorization of the bare wood.

I just strung it with Worth Browns. The strings are settling in, but man does sound good!

I'll post some pictures tonight.

[Added pictures below]
--G

Last edited:
Congrats on your new vintage ukulele! I've had great success touching up dings on my vintage Martin. It was easy....let me know if you want to know what I used.

Can't wait to see pictures!

Congratulations! You got yourself a great soprano.

@RyanMFT, I'd like to know what you use for touch up:eek:

I used to have some very expensive pool cues. If I got a ding I would very very lightly sand the spot and then press a wet paper towel there. It would expand the wood and when it dried it wouldn't have the ding. Obviously, this wouldn't work on a huge ding, but would still reduce it, and I am in no way shape or form trying to impersonate a luthier.

I used to have some very expensive pool cues. If I got a ding I would very very lightly sand the spot and then press a wet paper towel there. It would expand the wood and when it dried it wouldn't have the ding. Obviously, this wouldn't work on a huge ding, but would still reduce it, and I am in no way shape or form trying to impersonate a luthier.

Sometimes you can steam out a ding, but you have to be careful about the finish.

I have had some luck using 12,000 grit micro-mesh to smooth off dings.
Brown shoe polish is close to the color of mahogany and can color in a bare spot.
It may not be a perfect fix, but hides dings. After all the ukulele is 50+ years old and should not look pristine, unless you are using as a show piece.
I found an old Gibson with some nasty nicks on the upper bout from the case.
It is really hard to see or feel them after I worked on them.

Congrats on the martin Score...I have a few....you can to the craft store and buy wood stain markers...$2.99
Steaming won't work for chips, only dings...but it is good to know...for sure.. good tip howie...

WOW, what a beauty! No secret to my touch up....I use what Stan does, wood stain markers. They usually come in three different shades - light to dark. On my Martin I used the darkest one but started with the middle darkness just to not over darken. I touch a small light spot, then immediately wipe it with a cloth. Works like a charm....

That's a great looking uke. I have a Style 1 of about the same vintage (judging from the tuners). I don't think the chip looks bad at all. If it was mine, I'd just leave it alone. Older instruments that have honestly earned their scuffs and dings have a beauty of their own.

Cracking looking uke you have there.
My Martin barri has a chip in roughly the same place. The guy I bought it from tells me he darkened it down
with a little boot polish. It disguises it pretty well. After a while you won't even acknowledge that its there!
Enjoy
Cheers
Gary

Top Bottom