1000th post: Getting a custom!

NatalieS

Reaction score
I thought it might be appropriate for my 1000th post to announce that I have a custom uke on the way!

I've been playing out and about more often, and I'm sadly realizing that my soprano can't keep up with the volume and projection of other instruments in a band or jam session. After a particularly frustrating performance where everyone told me they couldn't hear my uke (despite having a microphone right in front of it and me playing way harder than I wanted to), I decided to look for a second uke that will be more appropriate for what I need.

I searched luthiers and builders for a couple of months. Eventually, I settled on Ana'ole Ukulele. I've emailed back and forth with Gareth Yahiku, who will design and build my new baby. We've come up with a custom design exactly to my specifications.

This is the first time I've placed a custom order, and I have a very particular idea of what I want. I'm getting a concert with koa back and sides, spruce top, black binding, a "triple" abalone rosette, ebony fretboard and bridge, and a Fishman pickup. Best of all, there will be a koi inlayed onto the ebony headstock, in white MOP and Puau abalone.

Gareth sent pictures of koa possibilities, and I really loved this combination so I chose this one.
koa.jpg

Now all I have to do is wait and look forward to it! I now know how you guys feel when you have something like this to look forward to. I've been playing uke for about 4 years now I guess, and this is sort of the culmination of what I've been looking for for a long time. I will post as more pictures and info come along.

Congrats on 1000 posts, AND your awesome custom uke! Please keep us posted throughout the whole process! I've heard only good things about Gareth, and he builds some beautiful stuff.

Congratulations - that wood will translate into a beautiful uke

Congrats on your upcoming custom Natalie and ooooooooh, nice choice on the wood set.

I think Spruce Top and Koa S&B is my favorite combo!! Great choice of woods. Keep us posted

Last edited:
Looks awesome. Will any of the sapwood make it into the body?

Hmmm Can't wait to see the Koi.

What a treat! Congratulations! Can't wait for a sound bite!

Congrats on 1000 posts, AND your awesome custom uke! Please keep us posted throughout the whole process! I've heard only good things about Gareth, and he builds some beautiful stuff.

I promise to keep you all updated. And I agree about Gareth, I've heard nothing but positive reviews of Ana'ole ukes so far.

Congratulations - that wood will translate into a beautiful uke

I think so too. Thanks!

Congrats on your upcoming custom Natalie and ooooooooh, nice choice on the wood set.

Thanks! :)

I think Spruce Top and Koa S&B is my favorite combo!! Great choice of woods. Keep us posted

I agree, I think the two wood choices really complement each other tonally.

Congratulations, it looks like it will be lovely.

Thanks, wickedwahine11!

Looks awesome. Will any of the sapwood make it into the body?

Ohhh I sure hope so! If so it will *just* make it onto the upper and lower bout edges. I suppose that's part of the surprise: seeing how it ends up.

Hmmm Can't wait to see the Koi.

I did a Google search for koi inlay and really loved this design, created by an artist named Bill Nichols. I sent the picture to Gareth as a starting point for the headstock inlay. He'll be adding just one larger koi, but you get the idea.

koi.gif

For anyone who hasn't heard an Ana'ole uke before, this is a koa/spruce tenor.

Aloha Nat,
Congrats on your 1000th post...woo hoo girl.....Hey you been hiding out girl...tee hee hee love the Koi, I want a uke too with 3 Koi swimming up the fretboard...symbol for good luck....
Congrats on the new custom coming your way...keep us informed....wish that video played him strumming too...picking not always tell the voice of the uke and the string to string note comparison... shoots.. Not shua I want a Pakalolo(stupid plant) soundhole...ha ha

I thought it might be appropriate for my 1000th post to announce that I have a custom uke on the way!

I've been playing out and about more often, and I'm sadly realizing that my soprano can't keep up with the volume and projection of other instruments in a band or jam session. After a particularly frustrating performance where everyone told me they couldn't hear my uke (despite having a microphone right in front of it and me playing way harder than I wanted to), I decided to look for a second uke that will be more appropriate for what I need.

I searched luthiers and builders for a couple of months. Eventually, I settled on Ana'ole Ukulele. I've emailed back and forth with Gareth Yahiku, who will design and build my new baby. We've come up with a custom design exactly to my specifications.

This is the first time I've placed a custom order, and I have a very particular idea of what I want. I'm getting a concert with koa back and sides, spruce top, black binding, a "triple" abalone rosette, ebony fretboard and bridge, and a Fishman pickup. Best of all, there will be a koi inlayed onto the ebony headstock, in white MOP and Puau abalone.

Gareth sent pictures of koa possibilities, and I really loved this combination so I chose this one.
koa.jpg

Now all I have to do is wait and look forward to it! I now know how you guys feel when you have something like this to look forward to. I've been playing uke for about 4 years now I guess, and this is sort of the culmination of what I've been looking for for a long time. I will post as more pictures and info come along.

Congratulations Natlie!
That's a beautiful wood set.
I've never played an Ana'ole, but they look and sound great.

Very nice. It'll be fun to read the updates. I used to get updates when my custom was built. It's been almost 2 years since I got it and I still miss update Fridays. This will help. You'll love the updates. A lot.

so pleased for you Nat. You've obviously given it a lot of thought. I think your choices on all aspects sound wonderful. Really looking forward to sharing in the excitement as the progress takes place. Blessings mate. :)

Congrats Natalie! I love the wood, I think I like it better than the wood in my WW concert. I cant wait to see pix of the finished product, wow that's gonna be real ukulele p***!
1000 posts, that's a heck of a lot!

Congratulations Natalie! That wood set is wonderful (I'm partial to grainy wood anyway) and the Ukulele Site's spruce/koa tenor sounded really great. I hope Gareth sends you lots of build update photos and you pass them along to us!

What a treat! Congratulations! Can't wait for a sound bite!

I put up a video of a tenor koa/spruce so people can get an idea of how they sound. Here's another video, of a longneck concert mango/spruce:

Aloha Nat,
Congrats on your 1000th post...woo hoo girl.....Hey you been hiding out girl...tee hee hee love the Koi, I want a uke too with 3 Koi swimming up the fretboard...symbol for good luck....
Congrats on the new custom coming your way...keep us informed....wish that video played him strumming too...picking not always tell the voice of the uke and the string to string note comparison... shoots.. Not shua I want a Pakalolo(stupid plant) soundhole...ha ha

Hi Stan! Yeah I'm not on the forums much but thought this would be worth posting. :) The video above has a little bit of strumming towards the end.

Congratulations Natlie!
That's a beautiful wood set.
I've never played an Ana'ole, but they look and sound great.

I've never played one either, but I'm very happy with my choice. :)

Very nice. It'll be fun to read the updates. I used to get updates when my custom was built. It's been almost 2 years since I got it and I still miss update Fridays. This will help. You'll love the updates. A lot.

Are you talking about your beautiful MB flamingo? I love your uke! I'm definitely looking forward to updates.

so pleased for you Nat. You've obviously given it a lot of thought. I think your choices on all aspects sound wonderful. Really looking forward to sharing in the excitement as the progress takes place. Blessings mate. :)

Thanks eugeneukulele! Good to see you. :)

Already know its gonna be an absolutely beautiful!

Thanks, ahh I can't wait!

Congrats Natalie! I love the wood, I think I like it better than the wood in my WW concert. I cant wait to see pix of the finished product, wow that's gonna be real ukulele p***!
1000 posts, that's a heck of a lot!

I know, 1000 posts is daunting to me. But I guess if they were spread out over 4 years that's not too crazy, is it?

Congratulations Natalie! That wood set is wonderful (I'm partial to grainy wood anyway) and the Ukulele Site's spruce/koa tenor sounded really great. I hope Gareth sends you lots of build update photos and you pass them along to us!

I will definitely share any updates he sends along. That's a promise!

Congrats! Sounds like it will be awesome. Enjoy the process.

Top Bottom