High Tension Strings

Ikelele

Reaction score
Hi, I recently restrung my Gstring super soprano with Hilo High Tension Concert Strings, with the recent threads on bellying should I be concerned?

I have not tried Hilo high tension strings...but like the regular ones, because they are thinner and more comfortable....not sure why you chose high tension strings but,
you have to be careful as you never know....there is more severe like bending the neck or joint neck separation ...

Hi, I recently restrung my Gstring super soprano with Hilo High Tension Concert Strings, with the recent threads on bellying should I be concerned?

From your question, seems like you already are.

But, to reassure you, there's no need to be. I've not once heard of a ukulele player killed by a flying bridge. Maimed, perhaps. The good news is, no time to be concerned. When it pops off, it's so sudden that you won;t have time to react. So, shouldn't be concerned about things so unpredictable. Nothing you can really do except wear safety glasses, I suppose.

You could consider tuning down a step or step and a half (e.g. EAC#F#) and see if the uke still sounds good with those particular strings. Many ukes sound great tuned down a tad. And, you could tune down anyway between playing just to not store it under high tension.

Like mmstan, I like Hilo strings, too. I have them on my most expensive ukulele (normal tension) and find them to be completely under-appreciated by many (most?) players. They sound lovely.

G'luck and good uking, Ikelele.

Last edited:
Top Bottom