PDA

View Full Version : WTB sopranino ukulele

Hippie Dribble
08-16-2012, 05:49 PM
any brand except the Kala pocket ukes...

black bear, ohana, loprinzi etc... anyone prepared to part with one at all? Thanks!

:cheers:

connor013
08-16-2012, 05:52 PM
For what it's worth, Jon, I've had two Ohana SK21s. The first was a nightmare in terms of intonation -- it always wanted to run sharp. The second has worked well, but I think that's more luck than anything else.

So go with a Loprinzi. Worst case: if you don't like it I'll take it off your hands.

Sopraninos are ridiculous fun, by the way. Who knew?

mm stan
08-16-2012, 06:15 PM
any brand except the Kala pocket ukes...

black bear, ohana, loprinzi etc... anyone prepared to part with one at all? Thanks!

:cheers:
Did you sell your beloved Loprinzi sopranino......that one I thought was a keeper...

Hippie Dribble
08-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Did you sell your beloved Loprinzi sopranino......that one I thought was a keeper...

yeah mate, I did...and miss it too. It was a mistake for sure :(

Hippie Dribble
08-16-2012, 06:41 PM
For what it's worth, Jon, I've had two Ohana SK21s. The first was a nightmare in terms of intonation -- it always wanted to run sharp. The second has worked well, but I think that's more luck than anything else.

So go with a Loprinzi. Worst case: if you don't like it I'll take it off your hands.

Sopraninos are ridiculous fun, by the way. Who knew?

hey Connor, thankyou for the advice mate, about the Ohana model. I've never tried one so I appreciate the tips and warning. I had a custom sopranino built for me by Donna about 18months ago, but sold it like so many others. It was such a great instrument and a mistake, as I miss it bigtime. I agree brother, these little ukes are so much fun and great to pull out for an impromptu jam or singalong, can hide it in the coat pocket next to the rows of fobwatches LOL!!!

Skitzic
08-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Have you tried Mim? I got a great deal on mine and I know she ships international. :)

Good luck. You can't have mine. :D

ETA: I got my Ohana sopranino from Mim and while it is a bit of a drama queen at times (it definitely lets me know when it needs new strings, or when the temperature/humidity/hormone levels have changed) it is still a joy to play. It will never leave my collection.

mm stan
08-16-2012, 06:55 PM
For sure Eugene, You need a Martin vintage soprano....I bet your fingers will never let it go .....:love:

Hippie Dribble
08-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Have you tried Mim? I got a great deal on mine and I know she ships international. :)

Good luck. You can't have mine. :D

ETA: I got my Ohana sopranino from Mim and while it is a bit of a drama queen at times (it definitely lets me know when it needs new strings, or when the temperature/humidity/hormone levels have changed) it is still a joy to play. It will never leave my collection.
thanks for the shout out for Mim Tammy...I just ebayed a search and sure enough Mim was right there with the cheapest deal on the Ohana sk-21's and a really good shipping price. I'll hold out for a bit and see if there's a BB or LoPrinzi around, but Mim is where I'll be going otherwise. Thanks mate. :)

Skitzic
08-16-2012, 07:14 PM
thanks for the shout out for Mim Tammy...I just ebayed a search and sure enough Mim was right there with the cheapest deal on the Ohana sk-21's and a really good shipping price. I'll hold out for a bit and see if there's a BB or LoPrinzi around, but Mim is where I'll be going otherwise. Thanks mate. :)

No problem. You should email her before you buy off the evil bays. She can usually do better when you email her.

VinnyQH
08-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Interested in a KoAloha Noah?

d-mace
08-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Interested in a KoAloha Noah?

I just played one the other day. It was surprisingly loud and had that signature Koaloha sound but in a bite-size package.

1937Scott
08-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Eugene!

I hope you are doing well! I agree with the others, Mim makes sure every uke leaving her shop is properly set up. No rolling the dice for a 'good' or 'bad' factory uke. Willie Wixom built me a wonderful sopranino I took delivery on last month and I love it. Here's a link:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?68668-New-Willie-Wixom-Curly-Koa-Sopranino&p=1011842#post1011842

The wait is the hardest part. It's Willie's first sopranino, but it's great. I almost ordered a LoPrinzi....but instead decided to go with a custom. (There was a 4 month wait for LoPrinzi which was the same as Willie's at the time I ordered from him.) I love playing a 12" scale.

I see that Vinny is offering you a KoAloha Noah. I also have one and they are amazingly LOUD. They are a very, very, thin build uke combined with the brightness of Koa wood makes the sound like a big dog barking. If you don't work something out with Vinny, PM me and I might be able to figure something out for you with my Noah. I believe you're Down Under, so I'd have to look into shipping first.

Anyway, be sure to let us know what you do.

Scott

Hippie Dribble
08-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Thankyou folks for all your comments and advice, it's much appreciated. Those Noahs look like superb instruments and I bet they sound amazing, unfortunately they may be a little out of my price range these days. Thankyou Vinny for your offer mate. Scott, thankyou too for your post. I just sent you a PM about your uke as well. :)