Concert vs. Pineapple

robc

Reaction score
I'm a new ukulele player, but have played acoustic guitar off and on for years.
I have a cheap (and very cheap-sounding) Mahalo soprano uke and would like to get a new, better one. I'm having trouble, though, deciding between a concert size or a pineapple model. I do find some of the fingering a little tight on my current soprano (though that may be a result of it being a very cheap, badly made one), so thought a concert size might help with that (plus, the sound would be a little more full). Yet, I've also read that pineapple uke's have a more mellow tone, which really appeals to me - and I think they look cool! However, I think all pineapples are soprano size, yes?

So, I guess my questions are:

Are the frets spaced farther apart on concert sized ukes than sopranos?

Are all pineapples soprano sized?

Are there any disadvantages to buying a pineapple uke?

I want to keep my purchase under $100 and have been looking at the Kala KA-P and Makala MK-P for pineapple models.

Thanks!
Rob

Are the frets spaced farther apart on concert sized ukes than sopranos?
Yes

Are all pineapples soprano sized?
No, they come in concert and tenor as well.

Are there any disadvantages to buying a pineapple uke?
Some find them harder to hold.

I want to keep my purchase under $100 and have been looking at the Kala KA-P and Makala MK-P for pineapple models.

The Kala is a nice one. For a little more, there is a nice pineapple in the UU store.

Thanks!
Who makes concert-sized pineapples? I haven't been able to find any on the web.

Unfortunately, I live in Canada, where the ukulele is pretty uncommon, so can't really compare models and try playing them in any stores. Usually the only one sold in my area is the Mahalo....

Rob

Mele, Nice, Mike DaSilva

Koahola's Pineapple Sunday is considered a concert.

I guess a concert-sized Flea could be considered a pineapple.

If I think of more, I'll be sure to list them.

Last edited:
I never understood why pineapple ukes aren't more popular,and why are they almost always soprano?.My first serious uke was a pineapple and I still love it,I always liked the shape.It's strange that the pineapple uke came from Hawaii,but doesn't seem as popular there anymore,maybe that's just my impression.I never found it more difficult to hold than a traditional shaped uke.

For those not familiar with the history of the Pineapple Uke, an excerpt from the Kamaka site;
. . .In the mid-20s, Sam Kamaka laid out a pattern for a new oval-shaped ukulele body. His friends remarked that it looked like a pineapple, so one of Sam's artist friends painted the front to duplicate the tropical fruit. A few years later in 1928, Sam Kamaka patented the design. Thus began the original Pineapple Ukulele, which produced a resonant, mellow sound distinct from the traditional figure-eight. The Pineapple Ukulele became an instant success worldwide, and continues to be Kamaka's signature ukulele to this day.
As far as popularity goes, I think it has to do with what people see. When the ukulele started its reemergence, performers/artists like Eddie Kamae, Moe Keale, Peter Moon and others were using the traditionally designed instruments during their performances. My 2 centavos.

I would also hazard that the figure eight is just generally a more familiar instrument shape to most people. It's the shape of most acoustic guitars. People tend to gravitate towards the familiar. (I personally really like the sort of elongated figure eight of the early Kumalaes etc..)

I've never played a pineapple though. How does the larger soundboard area effect the overall sound of the instrument?
Louder? Fuller tone with more area to vibrate? I'm curious.

Although some people may disagree with me,in my experience in setting up ukuleles for a ukulele company,In general I never noticed a big difference in volume or tone of a pineapple compared to a standard soprano if they are both made well.But I have noticed that for whatever reason,traditional sopranos, if they are not made well, sometimes sound "plinky" and without much resonance or personality.Pineapple sopranos do not seem to be as suseptable to this problem.

Top Bottom