"After You Get What You Want, You Don't Want It"

Jnobianchi

Reaction score
Here's the latest in a series of videos where I try to put a wasted half hour to some use on alternate side of the street parking days. Singing and playing "After You Get What You Want, You Don't Want It" (Irving Berlin, 1920), on my 20's Stromberg-Voisinet uke.

For some reason, despite the clearly old-fashioned chord progression, those lyrics still describe the unchanging human condition. :)

just watched this over on da toob mate and I just love it so much. What a fantabulous song...you're a walkin talkin goldmine brother. Superbly performed with that wry delivery and the twinkle in the eye. Class mate, pure class.

Thanks, buddy! :D glad you like this one and - sadly - I got a million of 'em. :) OK, maybe like 600 of 'em.

Thanks for the kind words and - as ever - your good opinion.

I'm having Bloomberg create a special 8 times a week alternate side parking zone on lower 5th Ave, so you will be forced to cool your heels in the Saturn twice as often and we can enjoy your song stylings more frequently. Sorry, I know it's inconvenient, but it's for the betterment of society as a whole. Please understand.

Another great performance, that song could have been written for me! I want I want and when I get it, I realize I didn't want it as much as I thought I did.

What makes you such fun to watch---no matter the venue---is that your musical skill is paired with a vaudeville performer's delight. Many of your posts have engaging nudge-nudge, wink-winks that make the songs much funnier than the words on the page.

Please drop over to the 26th Season of the Uke contest, Dreams week, which closes Sunday night. I'm sure you've got a tune (or ten) that mention dreams. Winners this week will be drawn from a hat.

Another great performance, that song could have been written for me! I want I want and when I get it, I realize I didn't want it as much as I thought I did.

Thank you, Errol! He He - sure if that isn't all of us with UAS at one time or another.

Top stuff John, I love the way you nail these classic tunes, really sweet work mate.

Thanks, Campbell. Sometime I should try something new, but I can't seem to get to the end of the old tunes I want to sing. :)

I'm having Bloomberg create a special 8 times a week alternate side parking zone on lower 5th Ave, so you will be forced to cool your heels in the Saturn twice as often and we can enjoy your song stylings more frequently. Sorry, I know it's inconvenient, but it's for the betterment of society as a whole. Please understand.

:D Peewee. If it's for society, then who am I to argue? Thanks.

Incredibly tasteful performance, John - really enjoyable.....

Thanks, 23skidoo.

Please drop over to the 26th Season of the Uke contest, Dreams week, which closes Sunday night. I'm sure you've got a tune (or ten) that mention dreams. Winners this week will be drawn from a hat.

GT - thanks for the kind words and I think you pretty much sum up my unconscious approach. I'll think about it - I have a couple of dream songs somewhere in the big boxes of sheet music... :)

Excellent as always, and yeah, what GT wrote, I can never say it as eloquently as Ginny.

Wow , that was cool. I would like to be able to do that. Where do you find these songs? Where can I find them? I'll never be able to do them as well as you but I really want to try ( I think my voice sounds bad ) It would be nice to be able to sing one song with my uke .

Thank you, Roxie! And thank you, Pete. You can get a TON of opd sheet music from public library websites and university websites. The University of Indiana runs a sheet music library calld "in Harmony" which is huge. Ian Chadwick, a member here, has a very cheap CD full of hundreds of song sheets: just sEarch his posts for the info.

Finally, ebay and tag sales are the best for finding gems youve never heard of before!

Thank you, Dave. :) Glad you liked it. Since posting, I replaced the head. For some reason, I always seem to improve the sound of an instrument right after I do a post. :D

Top Bottom