New Uke for Me! Donaldson Tenor Cutaway

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
New Uke for Me! Donaldson Tenor Cutaway - Video Review now posted!

Sound Sample now posted.

Wanted to post some pics of my Donaldson. This is my second one as the first one sounded good but my arm brushed against the bridge when strumming as it was connected at the 12th fret. Brad told me to return it and he'll make me a new one! Here is the original post.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...2903-Brad-Donaldson-First-pics-of-Tenor-on-UU!!!

There were a couple of changes he made. The most obvious is that it's connected at the 14th fret so the bridge is higher. Secondly, I asked for Ebony binding w/ Maple purfling on the fretboard and headstock. I also went with larger frets and it is so much easier for me to play. And of course, used koa this time around, which required a diff't finish to highlight the beauty of the wood. Still have the K&K pickup and radius fretboard and went with slightly difft Maple binding on the body and a couple of other small changes.

If I can choose one word to sum up the difference in the two ukes, it's "Refined". Things just a look and a feel a little better to me. For all you UCLA, UNC fans...you gotta use Turquoise Recon Stone!!

Brad is awesome to work with and he makes you feel like yours is his favorite project!! He has 20+ years of making stringed instruments and mine is #214 (he goes chronologically). I don't think you can get a better sounding and looking uke for the price!! Don't ask me the price as I'm a little bit embarrassed by how cheap his uke is!! :eek:

I can write some more but let's get to the pictures!!

Donaldon (1).jpgDonaldon (2).jpgDonaldon (3).jpgDonaldon (4).jpgDonaldon (5).jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to say that he uses different Pegheds now that are much shorter on the back! Do you agree it looks much better now? Do you remember how long it looked on sopranos? LOL

Donaldon (6).jpgDonaldon (7).jpg

Dang N. that is stunning. Really looks refined. I like the shorter pegheads much better. We are so blessed to have such great luthiers who love what they do.

Beautiful uke. Excellent combo and love the shorter pegs. Not too many folks get a second shot like that. Brad does wonderful work for sure. And as a Tarheel, I'll have to remember the turquoise tip. Love to hear it some day. Enjoy!

Wow, and I thought your 12 fret was beautiful. This one is gorgeous! Beautiful koa, and the whole design just fits together so well. Would love to hear your thoughts on tone and playability after you've had time to play it in to shape. Enjoy!

Aloha D,
Congrats on that new, new uke. Very nice indeed. I'm not a fan of cutaways (in a uke), but yours is beautiful.
Enjoy it as I know you will............................BO.....................

That is f**king beautiful. The headstock looks a bit too skinny without normal tuners for my taste, but I'd still fight you to the death for it.

How much ?

Congratulations! That is really nice.
I do like that recon stone, good choice. The flame on your koa is outstanding!
The Donaldson "swoop" on the headstock, fretboard end, and cutout really tie in well.

Hopefully, this fall I should see a Donaldson uke arrive at my house. Brad's wait list must be at least a year or two long by now.

Congrats Daniel,
She look awesome....Happy Strummings.... Gee everybody is getting new ukes.....

Looks fantastic! I've seen pictures of the wood Brad will be using for mine, so my day is getting very close! :)

Please tell us about the sound/tone, etc.

Last edited:
Congrats Daniel. the uke looks lovely. Yootoob demo required ASAP!!! :drool:

That's a beautiful uke. I can't wait to get my Bradford Donaldson ukulele.

Dan

Wow, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!!!! I'm on Brad's list for this fall and still trying to decide if I want a tenor or a pineapple - settled....both.....lol!!!

Not so sure about the soundhole on the side tho'. I'm guessing it makes it louder so the player can hear - I do have that issue with my current ukes - seems I can't really hear them that well with the soundhole on the front.

Awesomely gorgeous, congrats on a lovely design and choice of elements in this build. Very unique, clean, and elegant and smoooth. Brad is really a fabulous builder, and I would love another when my ship comes in (currently it's being bailed out so it doesn't sink in the harbor).

Sounds sample is now posted on first post. I'm sure it'll sound much better in a few weeks with the uke opening up and with the right strings.

Oops...I made a mistake in the video. I talked about the side soundport's purpose for making the uke louder but it really didn't matter since I had a pickup. That was a mistake and what I meant to say is that I'm not sure if I really heard the uke better because of the side soundport. I think because the top soundhole is in the upper part and closer to me, it's plenty loud for me to hear. Hopefully this clarifies my statement in the video.

Top Bottom