Fretboards

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I doubt this is the right place for this, but why do all ukulele builders not round out the high end of the fretboard to conform to the sound hole? The squared off ends just look so unprofessional. Just wondering. I know I won't buy a uke with a squared off fretboard.

It's simply a matter of economy. It's much faster to chop a fret board end square than it is to make it conform to the sound hole or any other design.
That's the information I got from a very large guitar manufacturer anyway. It makes sense to me.
I've never made an uke with a squared off fret board. To my eye it looks awkward.

Last edited:
It is a look. Each builder and player has preferences.
Personally I wouldn't want all uke fretboard ends to look the same.
The squared end saves some wood, and I think it looks nice IMHO.

I doubt this is the right place for this, but why do all ukulele builders not round out the high end of the fretboard to conform to the sound hole? The squared off ends just look so unprofessional. Just wondering. I know I won't buy a uke with a squared off fretboard.

It is a look. Each builder and player has preferences.
Personally I wouldn't want all uke fretboard ends to look the same.
The squared end saves some wood, and I think it looks nice IMHO.
To me, and I mean just to me, it looks kinda unfinished.

I disagree. I love the look of a squared off fretboard and the rounded off ones look ugly. I wouldn't buy a uke with a rounded end, but each to their own! good thing there's so many options out there eh
:cheers:

I like the look of the Squared off fretboard!...

The rounded end fretboards look kind of feminine too, me.

I also, like straight bridges instead of the rounded mustache type bridges. :)

Last edited:
Ha, I love rounded fretboard ends or Martin style ends, and also mustache bridges! :D

I like the look of the Squared off fretboard!...

The rounded end fretboards look kind of feminine too, me.

I also, like straight bridges instead of the rounded mustache type bridges. :)

To each his own, BUT Chuck Moore has more pics of "other than squared off" fretboards on his websight than squared off ones and I really think he knows the score on what is cool and what is not. But, like I said, to each his own.

To each his own, BUT Chuck Moore has more pics of "other than squared off" fretboards on his websight than squared off ones and I really think he knows the score on what is cool and what is not. But, like I said, to each his own.

I think you hit the nail on the head mate, what is 'cool' is very much a personal thing. Hey, I like peanuts comics, table tennis and Happy Days...baby I'm one of the coolest cats at geekcamp. :cool:

I think you hit the nail on the head mate, what is 'cool' is very much a personal thing. Hey, I like peanuts comics, table tennis and Happy Days...baby I'm one of the coolest cats at geekcamp. :cool:

UBCool with me, dude. :D

Top Bottom