How many are satisfied with the Uke you have now?...

GKK

Reaction score
I have a Pono Mahogany Tenor MHTSH Uke I use as a daily player and it is Beautiful!!!...

I can Honestly say that, it is everything I like in a Ukulele! The sound, gloss finish, wood grain, ebony binding, ebony slotted headstock, abalone rosette, bound fingerboard and smooth frets. This Ukulele looks Amazing!

I always wanted a Kamaka with a slotted headstock but, after looking at and hearing many other K-brand and custom ukes and playing the Pono the past year or so, I came to the realization that I am not interested in any other uke in any price range!

I recently said to my wife, if I had a chance to buy any ukulele I wanted in the whole world, I would pass and just keep my Pono MHTSH!!!...

Just wondering how many others are just as satisfied as me?...
IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

installed JJB Transducer pickup.
IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Fender Nohea Tenor, and I love everything about it. I've pretty much set my heart on a Mya Moe and maybe one of the Kamoa Gibson 335 copies (they ARE!). The Fender does everything I want a Uke to do though, and I'm in no rush to add to my collection (of 2).

I have a Fluke,

and I am 1000000000000% over the moon with mine.

I always think that i would like a really good nice solid wooden one nice finish and all that lot, but when i think about how much mine gets bashed around with my family.

and all the hassel that comes with a solid wooden one in terms of humdity and temperature, i think for me, at this time, its just not worth it,

especially when i currently have one which i think looks quirky, and gives such an amazing sound.

Im completely sold with my fluke!

Is the question satisfied with the uke or ukes?

I could be happy with the ukes I have now but on the waitlist for one more. Personlly, I could never be happy with just one as low G vs high G as I like to play both depending on the song. I woud be very content with 2 tenors!!

Your Pono is beautiful!!

I have my dream ukulele. It is so me. I will never need another one. Because I am a stupid idiot -- my words to myself -- it is missing one thing: a side sound hole. There. I said it out loud. My own fault. Otherwise it is so perfect I can't believe it.

all of my ukes have terrible intonation, i would like to find a store near me that sells them so that i can try them out but there are none. In short i most enjoy playing when i am playing some body else's uke.

This is so sad and illustrates why we players should really learn to set up our instruments. On all but the absolute cheapest ukes, reasonably good intonation can be achieved at least in the first position with nothing but a decent tuner and a single, <$30 nut file (you can do without the file but the file is worth every penny and will give professional results even when wielded by amateurs). This is because poor intonation at the first few frets is almost always the result of nut slots being too high.

Intonation up the neck is more dependent on string selection than action or setup, unless the action is outrageously high at the bridge or the bridge is actually in the wrong position (again, mostly only happens on the cheapest of instruments).

John

I love my Mya Moe and have a Ko'olau on order (plan to string up the Mya Moe with a low g once the Ko'olau arrives). Once that's here I'm set for good. Famous last words, I know...

Hmmm, tough question for some of us because even the best uke can't necessarily meet our desire for variety. I think maybe the way you would have to phrase the question for me is, "do you have a ukulele that you would not risk exchanging for another?"

In that case I have two, both sopranos, oddly enough. I wouldn't exchange either of my Mainland sopranos (mango and mahogany) for another uke. Does that mean I'll never buy another soprano? Not necessarily, if I found the right deal on something really stunning I might well add it to the stable for variety.

Oddly, while I love my KoAloha longneck soprano I don't include it in the same "wouldn't risk" category as the two much cheaper sopranos. The KoAloha is truly a wonderful uke and in the format that I most love - but I know it's easily replaceable in that if something happened to it I could just buy another KoAloha longneck soprano and be equally pleased with it. I'm not certain that's the case with the two sopranos because I really think they're probably the pick of their litter (though I'd love to be proved wrong about that). :)

I don't necessarily consider any of my other ukes in the "wouldn't risk" category because, while they're good ukes well worth what I paid for them, they aren't in that special "might not be able to replace" category that the sopranos occupy. The Mainland mango tenor would come close, but I know that realistically I could get a little better uke (albeit for a lot more money) by going to a custom or a K-brand tenor. But, until tenor uke becomes a higher priority for me than it currently is, I don't expect to be buying expensive tenors.

John

I love all my ukes. I did give an old one away once and I might add to the collection, but I would never ever exchange any of the ones I have now, not even for fancier more expensive ones. My ukes might not be the best on the market but I've invested time, energy and research on choosing, acquiring and improving them, and the result of this is that in my eyes, ears and heart they are just perfect for me (just need to find the right strings for my banjo uke).

I'm really sold on my Dolphin now w/Freemont Blacklines. I have a Mainland concert and tenor, both mahogany gloss and a Limited Edition Big Island Koa. These are all nice, but I enjoy my Dolphin as much or more than the others.

Well, I've only got the one, so if I weren't happy with it, I suppose I'd have a problem. Luckily, I am more than satisfied, and have no wandering eye (as it were).

Oh, maybe there is a better one for me out there, but I'll never know because I'm not looking

I agree with John. There are a few ukes I have that I know I' ll never part with (Moore Bettah soprano, Compass Rose tenor, a couple more concerts and sopranos). However, I like a little variety in ukes (just as I don't want the same meal every day, too). When I see the words in BluesUke (Perry of Covered Bridge Ukuleles) avatar "Chasing the perfect sound", I think that is what most of us are doing. But for me it probably would be better just to practice more on only 1 uke to get closer to the perfect sound, than to keep trying new ukes.

So, I am satisfied with my ukes. If I never got a another uke I would be happy. But, I really do need to get a new Covered Bridge Ukulele, and maybe try a Collings, and I've always wanted to play a Maui Music uke, and a Donaldson, and a Wixom, and ... :D

Last edited:
I have 1 that I play regularly. The rest barely see the light of day and will be sold at some point.

I am very happy with Makala Tenor with a setup by HMS that I bought off a user on this forum. A very cheap ukulele but I like the way it sounds and find it suites me.

I am SUPER Happy with my Moore Bettah Tenor. I too will never need another Uke. I had even considered selling my Mainland because I wasn't playing it. I just strung it with a Low G and now at I'll keep it around and maybe use it a bit more. A sure fire cure for UAS is a Moore Bettah!!

I would say that on a given day, I play at least four different ukes. Satisfied, sure, but I like to hear different things with different songs, and I like having the whole house littered with them. I have not bought a new on in a long time because my Mya Moe is being built, but I doubt she will stop the urge when she gets here

I have three regular players (soprano, concert, baritone), a beater, a banjolele, and a quiet practice/solid body electric. Plus a couple of wall hangers. I love this stable, as the kinds of music I play and style dictate different voices, but I can see replacing all of them with higher end instruments. I have designs on customs for the first three, though not enough scratch to make that happen yet, and can truly see stopping there.

But, I also have eyes for a fourth regular player -- a tenor eight string. I would love to have it stop at some point. I hope that my self control in the last few weeks has been indicative of a longer trend, but I have doubts. Ah well.

Top Bottom