PDA

View Full Version : How many are satisfied with the Uke you have now?...

GKK
08-19-2012, 08:05 AM
I have a Pono Mahogany Tenor MHTSH Uke I use as a daily player and it is Beautiful!!!...

I can Honestly say that, it is everything I like in a Ukulele! The sound, gloss finish, wood grain, ebony binding, ebony slotted headstock, abalone rosette, bound fingerboard and smooth frets. This Ukulele looks Amazing!

I always wanted a Kamaka with a slotted headstock but, after looking at and hearing many other K-brand and custom ukes and playing the Pono the past year or so, I came to the realization that I am not interested in any other uke in any price range!

I recently said to my wife, if I had a chance to buy any ukulele I wanted in the whole world, I would pass and just keep my Pono MHTSH!!!...

Just wondering how many others are just as satisfied as me?...
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/karengarret/Ukulele%20pictures/IMG_3972.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/karengarret/Ukulele%20pictures/IMG_3995.jpg
installed JJB Transducer pickup.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/karengarret/Ukulele%20pictures/IMG_0893.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/karengarret/Ukulele%20pictures/IMG_4004.jpg

The Big Kahuna
08-19-2012, 08:11 AM
I have a Fender Nohea Tenor, and I love everything about it. I've pretty much set my heart on a Mya Moe and maybe one of the Kamoa Gibson 335 copies (they ARE!). The Fender does everything I want a Uke to do though, and I'm in no rush to add to my collection (of 2).

janeray1940
08-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Me. But it took a total investment of... seven?... ukes before I found The One.

SamJ1206
08-19-2012, 08:23 AM
I have a Fluke,

and I am 1000000000000% over the moon with mine.

I always think that i would like a really good nice solid wooden one nice finish and all that lot, but when i think about how much mine gets bashed around with my family.

and all the hassel that comes with a solid wooden one in terms of humdity and temperature, i think for me, at this time, its just not worth it,

especially when i currently have one which i think looks quirky, and gives such an amazing sound.

Im completely sold with my fluke!

Dan Uke
08-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Is the question satisfied with the uke or ukes?

I could be happy with the ukes I have now but on the waitlist for one more. Personlly, I could never be happy with just one as low G vs high G as I like to play both depending on the song. I woud be very content with 2 tenors!!

Your Pono is beautiful!!

sukie
08-19-2012, 08:34 AM
I have my dream ukulele. It is so me. I will never need another one. Because I am a stupid idiot -- my words to myself -- it is missing one thing: a side sound hole. There. I said it out loud. My own fault. Otherwise it is so perfect I can't believe it.

OldePhart
08-19-2012, 08:48 AM
all of my ukes have terrible intonation, i would like to find a store near me that sells them so that i can try them out but there are none. In short i most enjoy playing when i am playing some body else's uke.

This is so sad and illustrates why we players should really learn to set up our instruments. On all but the absolute cheapest ukes, reasonably good intonation can be achieved at least in the first position with nothing but a decent tuner and a single, <$30 nut file (you can do without the file but the file is worth every penny and will give professional results even when wielded by amateurs). This is because poor intonation at the first few frets is almost always the result of nut slots being too high.

Intonation up the neck is more dependent on string selection than action or setup, unless the action is outrageously high at the bridge or the bridge is actually in the wrong position (again, mostly only happens on the cheapest of instruments).

John

Loz
08-19-2012, 09:00 AM
I love my Mya Moe and have a Ko'olau on order (plan to string up the Mya Moe with a low g once the Ko'olau arrives). Once that's here I'm set for good. Famous last words, I know...

OldePhart
08-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Hmmm, tough question for some of us because even the best uke can't necessarily meet our desire for variety. I think maybe the way you would have to phrase the question for me is, "do you have a ukulele that you would not risk exchanging for another?"

In that case I have two, both sopranos, oddly enough. I wouldn't exchange either of my Mainland sopranos (mango and mahogany) for another uke. Does that mean I'll never buy another soprano? Not necessarily, if I found the right deal on something really stunning I might well add it to the stable for variety.

Oddly, while I love my KoAloha longneck soprano I don't include it in the same "wouldn't risk" category as the two much cheaper sopranos. The KoAloha is truly a wonderful uke and in the format that I most love - but I know it's easily replaceable in that if something happened to it I could just buy another KoAloha longneck soprano and be equally pleased with it. I'm not certain that's the case with the two sopranos because I really think they're probably the pick of their litter (though I'd love to be proved wrong about that). :)

I don't necessarily consider any of my other ukes in the "wouldn't risk" category because, while they're good ukes well worth what I paid for them, they aren't in that special "might not be able to replace" category that the sopranos occupy. The Mainland mango tenor would come close, but I know that realistically I could get a little better uke (albeit for a lot more money) by going to a custom or a K-brand tenor. But, until tenor uke becomes a higher priority for me than it currently is, I don't expect to be buying expensive tenors.

John

Lalz
08-19-2012, 09:22 AM
I love all my ukes. I did give an old one away once and I might add to the collection, but I would never ever exchange any of the ones I have now, not even for fancier more expensive ones. My ukes might not be the best on the market but I've invested time, energy and research on choosing, acquiring and improving them, and the result of this is that in my eyes, ears and heart they are just perfect for me (just need to find the right strings for my banjo uke).

Yestyn The Great
08-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Surprisingly on of my cheapest ukes, the OS OU2t has the best intonation out of all of them.

BIGDB
08-19-2012, 09:42 AM
i like my martin S-1 with a misi in it but i would much rather a custom tenor or something like that. till then im good with my martin

mangorockfish
08-19-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm really sold on my Dolphin now w/Freemont Blacklines. I have a Mainland concert and tenor, both mahogany gloss and a Limited Edition Big Island Koa. These are all nice, but I enjoy my Dolphin as much or more than the others.

PoiDog
08-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Well, I've only got the one, so if I weren't happy with it, I suppose I'd have a problem. Luckily, I am more than satisfied, and have no wandering eye (as it were).

Oh, maybe there is a better one for me out there, but I'll never know because I'm not looking

Doc_J
08-19-2012, 09:54 AM
I agree with John. There are a few ukes I have that I know I' ll never part with (Moore Bettah soprano, Compass Rose tenor, a couple more concerts and sopranos). However, I like a little variety in ukes (just as I don't want the same meal every day, too). When I see the words in BluesUke (Perry of Covered Bridge Ukuleles) avatar "Chasing the perfect sound", I think that is what most of us are doing. But for me it probably would be better just to practice more on only 1 uke to get closer to the perfect sound, than to keep trying new ukes.

So, I am satisfied with my ukes. If I never got a another uke I would be happy. But, I really do need to get a new Covered Bridge Ukulele, and maybe try a Collings, and I've always wanted to play a Maui Music uke, and a Donaldson, and a Wixom, and ... :D

v30
08-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I have 1 that I play regularly. The rest barely see the light of day and will be sold at some point.

bodhran
08-19-2012, 10:07 AM
I am very happy with Makala Tenor with a setup by HMS that I bought off a user on this forum. A very cheap ukulele but I like the way it sounds and find it suites me.

costaricadave
08-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I am SUPER Happy with my Moore Bettah Tenor. I too will never need another Uke. I had even considered selling my Mainland because I wasn't playing it. I just strung it with a Low G and now at I'll keep it around and maybe use it a bit more. A sure fire cure for UAS is a Moore Bettah!!

TCK
08-19-2012, 10:27 AM
I would say that on a given day, I play at least four different ukes. Satisfied, sure, but I like to hear different things with different songs, and I like having the whole house littered with them. I have not bought a new on in a long time because my Mya Moe is being built, but I doubt she will stop the urge when she gets here

mattydee
08-19-2012, 10:28 AM
I have three regular players (soprano, concert, baritone), a beater, a banjolele, and a quiet practice/solid body electric. Plus a couple of wall hangers. I love this stable, as the kinds of music I play and style dictate different voices, but I can see replacing all of them with higher end instruments. I have designs on customs for the first three, though not enough scratch to make that happen yet, and can truly see stopping there.

But, I also have eyes for a fourth regular player -- a tenor eight string. I would love to have it stop at some point. I hope that my self control in the last few weeks has been indicative of a longer trend, but I have doubts. Ah well.

ukuhippo
08-19-2012, 10:30 AM
I am very happy with Makala Tenor with a setup by HMS that I bought off a user on this forum. A very cheap ukulele but I like the way it sounds and find it suites me.

That user was happy with that uke to, except for the size :p. And that user is also happy with his Dolphin twins that swim around the house, and is confident to be happy with the Makala concert that's on it's way. That user is even beginning to re-appreciate the Makala baritone after he restrung it with Southcoast reentrant heavy gauge strings, allthough I kind of see it as a whole different instrument.
That user does take care of his instruments, but he's glad that he doesn't have to save a lot of money to replace them when something might happen to them.

ItsMrPitchy
08-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Im satisfied with all the ukes i have now and play at least two everyday out of 4 that are playable. But in the future i would like to get a higher end uke which is what my collection is missing right now.

vanflynn
08-19-2012, 10:41 AM
My Uke is fine, it's my playing ability that I am not satisfied with.

P.S. nice Pono

Pippin
08-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I have a bunch of winners here. First, KoAloha Super-Concert and Pineapple Sunday-- both perfect. I have the Ohana CK-300G, the Ohana CK-40R, TK-80, and the Vita copy all sitting in the corner by me. They are all great players and sound really nice. I particularly love the CK-40R. I have the Mainland "Classic Mahogany" baritone that my brother borrowed and have to get it back from him if he is not going to play it. I even have an Oscar Schmidt OU5-LCE (laminated Koa with cut-away and a UK2000 pickup, perfect neck, plays like a dream, but it is quiet. Lots of other ukes. None frustrate me.

Hippie Dribble
08-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Good question! I like different ukes and tones for different songs and styles so at minimum I will always have a soprano, concert and a baritone. I have been in a continual process of trying and refining for about 6 years and have started to finally narrow down my tastes to the builders whose ukes I love most, namely, Mya Moe, Collings and Black Bear. Lots of blood, sweat and tears along the way but I have learned much - not only about ukes, but about myself - on the journey.

All that aside, if I could still only have my first uke, a mahalo sky blue soprano, I would be happy too as a $20 uke in the hand can brighten any day. That one did me for 2 full years before I started the UAS battle and I still have it and play it regularly. :)

mattydee
08-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Good question! I like different ukes and tones for different songs and styles so at minimum I will always have a soprano, concert and a baritone. I have been in a continual process of trying and refining for about 6 years and have started to finally narrow down my tastes to the builders whose ukes I love most, namely, Mya Moe, Collings and Black Bear. Lots of blood, sweat and tears along the way but I have learned much - not only about ukes, but about myself - on the journey.

All that aside, if I could still only have my first uke, a mahalo sky blue soprano, I would be happy too as a $20 uke in the hand can brighten any day. That one did me for 2 full years before I started the UAS battle and I still have it and play it regularly. :)

I love this story, Jon. I keep trying to convince myself to pass off my first uke, but can't do it! I barely play it, but it started me on this incredible journey that has had such a meaningful impact on my life and I can't stand to see it go.

As I get ready to embark on the custom/high end train, it's been invaluable to hear and see my favorite players' choices. Ive got plans for a Mya Moe Bari for sure and I'm looking at a Talsma concert. I'd love to get on Chucks build list for a soprano one day, but that comes down the line, I bet.

For now, I'm savor ing the journey. Playing as much as I can, refining my tastes and styles, and looking forward to what's next. That's what it's about. I love my three regular players now, but I imagine the next three will be just as lovely.

GKK
08-19-2012, 11:12 AM
What got me thinking about this question was because of the many UAS posts that come up.

I can see wanting to have one uke for each size but, when I read threads of members having 7-20+ ukes, I began to think to myself, do some people just like to collect ukes instead of really playing them?...(nothing wrong with that, just an observation)

Lalz
08-19-2012, 11:39 AM
What got me thinking about this question was because of the many UAS posts that come up.

I can see wanting to have one uke for each size but, when I read threads of members having 7-20+ ukes, I began to think to myself, do some people just like to collect ukes instead of really playing them?...(nothing wrong with that, just an observation)

20+ must definitely be a case of the collector bug, which is totally fine and doesn't mean they don't get played. If it wasn't for collectors, a lot of beautiful ukes wouldn't be built and a lot of models wouldn't make it to posterity in a few decades.

I only have mine because I want to play them though, and I like to play a variety of stuff. For me it's not so much a question of having one of each size but of having a variety of tunings and sounds available. If strings were more flexible so they didn't have to stretch so much when you tune them up or down and could easily go up and down up to an octave... if sopranos sounded as good as bigger ukes with low G as they do with high G and so on... and if solid wood were a bit more sturdy... then I'd be happy with just one uke or two at most. One banjo uke and one electro-acoustic soprano solid wood with a mute and I'd be done with it.

hawaii 50
08-19-2012, 11:50 AM
I agree with John. There are a few ukes I have that I know I' ll never part with (Moore Bettah soprano, Compass Rose tenor, a couple more concerts and sopranos). However, I like a little variety in ukes (just as I don't want the same meal every day, too). When I see the words in BluesUke (Perry of Covered Bridge Ukuleles) avatar "Chasing the perfect sound", I think that is what most of us are doing. But for me it probably would be better just to practice more on only 1 uke to get closer to the perfect sound, than to keep trying new ukes.

So, I am satisfied with my ukes. If I never got a another uke I would be happy. But, I really do need to get a new Covered Bridge Ukulele, and maybe try a Collings, and I've always wanted to play a Maui Music uke, and a Donaldson, and a Wixom, and ... :D

peter lieberman builder of Maui Music ukuleles has been on UU lately he says he will be posting his ukes on line soon..Ukulele Pua Pua in Waikiki has a couple of his retro ukes on their site..i have a retro tenor(1998) it still sounds great!
gryphon in palo alto has a few also..but the retro ones are really cool/my koa style C compass rose tenor deluxe should be ready anyday now too..

roxhum
08-19-2012, 02:39 PM
I am more than satisfied with my ukes. My best uke and most beloved is my kamaka soprano. I bought it used for a good price before kamaka raised their prices. I don't think I could ever replace it for what I paid for it. It is a great player and if I could only have one this would be the one. I doubt I will ever part with my mainland concert because I sold it once and was able to buy it back. I won't make the same mistake twice. The others are great but... It is such fun getting new ukes and I don't think I would enjoy them as much if had more than I would actually play. I am not a collector. Oh yeah, my Nahenahe is a keeper too,it was a gift and it is special and unique.

drjond56
08-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I have 2 tenors: Koaloha in low G. Lanikai maple (Elderly Instrument Anniv model) in high G. Oceana baritione (less well known, but high quality builder). I am set except I might go for a Koolau electric at some point.

frankiefirefox
08-19-2012, 02:49 PM
My Uke is fine, it's my playing ability that I am not satisfied with.

I completely agree. I love my Ko'Aloha concert. The problem is I'm terrible.

adam2180
08-19-2012, 02:50 PM
I have 2 handmade ukes from a local luthier, as far as I'm concerned there is nothing better in existence.

SuzukHammer
08-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I honestly cannot believe I can be satisfied with one ...... yet.

I find I will play one uke exclusively then when I get the chance to play other ukes, it just soo nice to listen to the other tones.

TheCraftedCow
08-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Yes, I have a favorite 1929 Dobro strung with taropatch Aquila strings. I have a favorite 1923 Martin T-18 strung Dd GgG BbB ee. I have a favorite Ukiyo Smeck Vita. I have a favorite 1970 Giannini baritone. I have a favorite Bloodworks soprano. I have a favorite 1944 German made Balalaika with four strings There is no ONE ukulele which can duplicate the many sounds that add tonal texture to different genres of music. A favorite open back banjo--a favorite closed back banjo. A favorite Giannini 10EL. I have a piece in progress right now that has yet to be decided which is the sound which fits the mood of the song. To go somewhere raises the question of which three shall I take. Don't take that second uke home. It is the step which starts one down that slippery slope.

consitter
08-19-2012, 08:13 PM
I am very satisfied with the uke I have now. My problem is I'm not satisfied with myself as a player. But that's another thread altogether.

poppy
08-19-2012, 08:58 PM
My Honu concert, perfect action for me, the correct strings for me , the perfect tone for me , gourgeous koa to me, I play it all the time. I take it in the car when I know I will have to wait. I will now and then play my OU6LCE when Im in the mood for electric, and it plays well and it has an excellant sound. My tenor Hono sits in the case waiting to be played, I thought It would sound very similar to my concert but alas they're different, oddly the concert is more mellow. Both set up by the same luthier and wearing the same strings. Someday I may sell the tenor , but the concert will stay. I have even quit considering a k brand or custom as I know now this is the one for me , actually its nice having found 'my uke'.

hammer40
08-19-2012, 11:14 PM
I only have one uke, a Pono AT, but I'm completely satisfied with it. The fact that wood/stringed instruments can be voiced differently and with the all the different tonewoods available, that's what drives the desire for more ukes. Hopefully, as I progress I won't want or need more than 2 or 3 ukes to satisfy any mood or type/style of song I want to play.

bodhran
08-19-2012, 11:40 PM
That user was happy with that uke to, except for the size :p. And that user is also happy with his Dolphin twins that swim around the house, and is confident to be happy with the Makala concert that's on it's way. That user is even beginning to re-appreciate the Makala baritone after he restrung it with Southcoast reentrant heavy gauge strings, allthough I kind of see it as a whole different instrument.
That user does take care of his instruments, but he's glad that he doesn't have to save a lot of money to replace them when something might happen to them.

Well said Sir! Being on a very low budget I don't want to buy an expensive ukulele because it would represent such a huge investment that I would be nervous about using it. A low cost ukulele far better serves my needs.
If my playing was better I may think differently but for just playing alone and having some nice times sitting in the garden playing ukuleles with my grandson a low cost ukulele is ideal.

jglover
08-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Surprisingly on of my cheapest ukes, the OS OU2t has the best intonation out of all of them. My $300 Cordoba that I bought from HMS would have good intonation but the bridge is placed incorrectly.

The bridge issue should be a warranty issue, as the bridge is placed by the factory. Have you called HMS about this? It seems if the bridge is placed incorrectly that should defintely be exhangeable for a new one.

Freeda
08-20-2012, 02:20 AM
I am satisfied with a few of my ukes. :)

mikelz777
08-20-2012, 02:52 AM
I'm satisfied with my current (single) uke.......for now. I was unsatisfied until I had the action lowered but now I'm really enjoying it. I'd eventually like to upgrade to a nicer, solid wood uke but knowing myself, I want to be sure that it's something I'm going to stick with for the long term so I'm giving myself at least a year with my present uke before I dive in again. I'm already about half way there and all indications are that I'll be buying my 2nd uke some time early next year.

kaizersoza
08-20-2012, 03:58 AM
I will never get rid of My KoAloha Pikkake Soprano, it sounds beautiful and for strumming is unsurpassed, I will also never get rid of my Mainland Red Cedar Tenor, it was my first serious uke and I love so much, so these ukes I am really satisfied with, My others I could let go of but would probably keep my Eleuke back for performing live, it was set up by Mim and is really nice to play, however I want to buy a KoAloha concert at some point and I am also on the waiting list for a Brad Donaldson Tenor, My aim is to own 2 ukes of each size one beater and one for best

kirbo
08-20-2012, 04:28 AM
No. Not satisfied. UAS is kicking into overdrive. Maybe once I get a super high end custom, I'll be satisfied. Maybe.

csibona
08-20-2012, 04:55 AM
I have three different ukuleles and I like them all. If I didn't like one I would sell it or give it away. I am reasonably satisfied with my playing - I'd like to be better for sure but I am enjoying the journey.

MisterRios
08-20-2012, 04:59 AM
I have a Ohana Pineapple that I very much love. So much that an SK-35 is gathering dust in the corner.

However, I have been looking at better (more expensive) ukes because I want something that is better built.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I'm partial to pineapples, so this sort of limits my choice.

G Hill
08-20-2012, 05:04 AM
The one special uke that I have and wouldn't change for any reason is my Martin Baritone. For me it is the ultimate uke. I have two others.
An Ohana SK38 which I love but would probably exchange for a Martin vintage soprano, not because I don't love my Ohana but I reckon
I could better it. The other uke is a Kala all solid acacia tenor. I also like this uke but it seems to be converting into a wallhanger nowadays and I think
that it could find itself in the classifieds pretty soon. It's not that I don't like it but, it has become redundant since I got the Martin bari.
Cheers
Gary

Garydavkra
08-20-2012, 05:51 AM
I have a Fender Nohea tenor and a Pono solid wood acacia baritone. I like the Fender very much but, if I were to get another Tenor I would seriously consider a Pono based on the baritone that I have. The sound of the baritone is beautiful and is constructed very well.

RichM
08-20-2012, 05:57 AM

Never understood why it needed to be on or the other. I have a lot of ukes, I play them constantly, and I'm very happy with my collection. Why in the world would collecting imply not playing?

John Entwistle had hundreds of basses. Pretty sure he could play. George Harrison, of course, collected ukes; pretty sure he could play, too :)

molokinirum
08-20-2012, 05:59 AM
Very satisfied with all of my ukes!!!!

RichM
08-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Well, and to answer the OP's original question: I'm very satisfied with my ukes, but that doesn't mean I'm done acquiring. I love variety and experimentation and buying ukes is a pretty safe hobby, since you can always sell them if you get in too deep. Try recouping your lift tickets or your greens fees. :)

I think my Maui Music tenor is my favorite all-around uke; wonderful tone, great playability, and pretty nice to look at, too. Those of you who said you wanted to try a Maui Music uke... yeah, you really, really do. They may not have as much brand recognition as some of the other brands, but they are just fantastic.

But that doesn't necessarily mean the Maui Music is the one that gets played the most. My Kala tenor goes with me to jams, because it sounds great, I appreciate the flexibility of a tenor at jams, and, frankly, it won't give me a heart attack if it gets passed around. :) I keep my Mainland soprano by the computer when I work, so I can pick it up and strum a few for a little mental health break. And when I want to play fingerstyle baroque or some jazz, I go to my de Mesquita, because of its exceptional volume, bass response, and clean note separation...although my new Moore Bettah looks like it's going to give the LFdM a run for its money...

bdukes
08-20-2012, 06:07 AM
I have a Pono Mahogany Tenor MHTSH Uke I use as a daily player and it is Beautiful!!!...

I can Honestly say that, it is everything I like in a Ukulele! The sound, gloss finish, wood grain, ebony binding, ebony slotted headstock, abalone rosette, bound fingerboard and smooth frets. This Ukulele looks Amazing!

Oh c'mon, Garret! Now you're just rubbing it in. :) I had a feeling that was a special uke, but if not for my Kamaka HF-3, I'd probably still be a satisfied Pono guy.

To the original question, I'm totally satisfied with my uke(s). But my eyes still wander and like somebody said earlier, I get a charge out of discovering new tones and looks from other makers. My Kamaka will always be the "one," but I like having other sizes in the mix. Although tenor is the preference, having a Mainland Soprano under the bed, the Fluke on my desk at work, Kamaka 6-string in the kitchen, a couple of Dolphins on the wall in the kid's playroom, a diamond-in-the-rough-flea-market-find strategically left at a friend's house, and a basement full of guitars, really makes me happy.

Or it's all still a desperate cry for help.

RichM
08-20-2012, 06:20 AM
I have my dream ukulele. It is so me. I will never need another one. Because I am a stupid idiot -- my words to myself -- it is missing one thing: a side sound hole. There. I said it out loud. My own fault. Otherwise it is so perfect I can't believe it.

Mine doesn't have a flamingo, but it does have a side port :) Wanna trade?

http://www.moorebettahukes.com/8-11-12_004.jpg

Dan Uke
08-20-2012, 06:34 AM

Rich...You bought the last MBU for sale!! I love the plumeria more than the hibiscus!!

sukie
08-20-2012, 07:02 AM

No can do. Is it a super-concert? Prob not. Still beautiful.

Teek
08-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Could I be forced to choose only one among my 7 "keepers"? Yes, my Donaldson because it was made for me. There are several previous threads on "which one would you keep if you could only have one", so here I would say Yes I'm satisfied with the ukes I have now.

But I'm mad about my Pono 6 string which is mahogany strung low 4th, and just started a fling with a pre-fire Maui Music 6 string (thanks Mary!) which is koa strung re-entrant. They are very very different tonally. I have mahogany and koa tenors also in the low and high tunings. I have the Donaldson long scale concert in myrtle with a spruce top, and a vintage Kamaka concert. Plus a Risa LP.

Though I am still downsizing I have not yet figured out how to choose just one tuning and only four or six strings. I could manage with no solid body electric, and have thought about having one low fourth six string and one traditionally tuned tenor, and the two concerts which makes four. I imagine fate will decide all for me at some point, we rent everything while we are here, but in the meantime I want to just enjoy them.

GKK
08-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Oh c'mon, Garret! Now you're just rubbing it in. :) I had a feeling that was a special uke, but if not for my Kamaka HF-3, I'd probably still be a satisfied Pono guy.

Thanks, again Bill for this Fantastic Uke!!!...

I'm thinking of going to Oahu for my 50th birthday next year and guess what, I don't think I'm even going to visit any Ukulele stores!...

RichM
08-20-2012, 07:49 AM
No can do. Is it a super-concert? Prob not. Still beautiful.

I don't think I was serious about the trade :) From my cold, dead hands and all. But for the record, it's a tenor.

hawaii 50
08-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Well, and to answer the OP's original question: I'm very satisfied with my ukes, but that doesn't mean I'm done acquiring. I love variety and experimentation and buying ukes is a pretty safe hobby, since you can always sell them if you get in too deep. Try recouping your lift tickets or your greens fees. :)

I think my Maui Music tenor is my favorite all-around uke; wonderful tone, great playability, and pretty nice to look at, too. Those of you who said you wanted to try a Maui Music uke... yeah, you really, really do. They may not have as much brand recognition as some of the other brands, but they are just fantastic.

But that doesn't necessarily mean the Maui Music is the one that gets played the most. My Kala tenor goes with me to jams, because it sounds great, I appreciate the flexibility of a tenor at jams, and, frankly, it won't give me a heart attack if it gets passed around. :) I keep my Mainland soprano by the computer when I work, so I can pick it up and strum a few for a little mental health break. And when I want to play fingerstyle baroque or some jazz, I go to my de Mesquita, because of its exceptional volume, bass response, and clean note separation...although my new Moore Bettah looks like it's going to give the LFdM a run for its money...

rich..

i love my maui music retro tenor(1998) also//is it the lightest uke you have seen?and peter has been using a radius on his fretboards a long time already..you are right for the sound and quality hard to believe he does not have the reputation of all the K brands..you know that peter has been posting on the builders forum lately?

bbycrts
08-20-2012, 11:26 AM
My #1 uke is perfect. It was built for me to my specs but at the hands of a real craftsman. I love it. My signature has pictures of the front and back of the headstock (and even if I didn't love it so much - not sure I could find someone who would want to buy a uke with a carrot on the back of the headstock.

syrynx
08-20-2012, 02:28 PM
My ears and my fingers couldn't be happier with my Lanikai LU-21TE. I chose it after checking out dozens of ukuleles over the span of a year and a half. This is one of the most musical musical instruments I've ever experienced, in my hands or anyone else's. My eyes don't like it at all: The body shape is just wrong, the body is bound, and the output jack is in the wrong place (it should be a strap button!). But I can live with those deficiencies for $150! :D

My Martin Style 1 looks and sounds just lovely. Unfortunately, I can't play it much; the scale is just too short for me (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?69199-Soprano-Ukuleles&p=1023613#post1023613).

Patrick Madsen
08-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I love my Griffins and have a special build for next year. My g's fit so well, that I may have a hard time ordering my next.... Not lol! I thank Griffin ukes everytime I pass them; It just comes naturally they are so special.

mm stan
08-20-2012, 05:02 PM
that is a really nice uke for the price..wow... I dunno, I got quite a few ukes and may not have been as lucky as you...I keep always searching for the better uke...hence my UAS..

Nickie
08-20-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm just head over heels in love with my uke. It should cure my UAS, not sure why I want anything else. I'd like to bling it up a little, maybe. It sure makes me happy, even though I suck big time as a player, LOL! It goes everywhere with me, everyone knows we're a couple!

AndrewKuker
08-20-2012, 06:34 PM
The bridge issue should be a warranty issue, as the bridge is placed by the factory. Have you called HMS about this? It seems if the bridge is placed incorrectly that should defintely be exhangeable for a new one.

Yes please! We want to help you. Please call or email and let us help. (808)781-9168 is my cell if we aren't open at the store.

But sorry for changing the subject. I usually play one I made about 15+ years ago. All mahogany tenor low G gold set. Love it. Others always float around the family but I have a secret desire for a Chuck Moore and this post didn't help! Damn they look good!! Mya Moe's look really cool too. I guess the brands we don't have are what have caught my eye lately. But love goes to what's in your hand. As your sitting in your room at night with frequency waves cleared out for it to take up the full range, that's when you really look at your instrument and think...how could this possibly be better. It's perfect!

PoiDog
08-21-2012, 04:10 AM
I have a secret desire for a Chuck Moore

Well, if you can't manage to get on the list for a Moore Bettah, then nobody can!

AndrewKuker
08-21-2012, 05:05 AM
Well, if you can't manage to get on the list for a Moore Bettah, then nobody can!
Ya, hopefully, I was just inquiring recently and it seems possible but not anytime soon.

I was just playing Pepe's Cigar box uke for the last few hours. Love it!! Sweet tones like a pineapple tenor, but with more of a soprano attack and sustain. Really fun and different.

I believe in having one uke and in having many ukes. But ultimately “If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having.”

Gwynedd
08-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm so happy with my Mainland mahogany tenor, once I restrung it w SC strings, that it killed all "UAS" so I'm pretty much set. I gave my Dolphin to a friend's daughter, I sometimes play the electric but I'm thinking of even letting that go. I'm very happy with the one uke. I mean, I only have ONE piano......

1931jim
08-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Because I just play a tenor Lanakai solid spruce top with laminate back and sides I am so happy just looking at RichM's picture in posting #54.
PS: I love the bear claw top RichM. Also thank you GKK.

Markr1
08-21-2012, 02:02 PM
I can't just choose just one. I've got 3 out of my 12 or 13 that I go between all the time. My Kamaka HF-3, My Kanilea K-1 Super Concert and my Tom Guy Blugrass when I'm playing low G. These are the ones I always grab and probably wouldn't want to be without. There is one more that would make it 4 but my mom has been playing it and that would be my Collings UT-1. I gave her the choice of the others but the Collings is the one she choose due to her having 80 year fingers and it was the easiest fingering one of the group that she could play. I love to play it but I can't take it away from her at this point. She told me last night when I got home from work that she happened upon CNN and an interview with Jake and he was talking about how anyone can learn to play regardless of age. She then proceeded to pick up the Collings a play a little for me to show me how she has been progressing. She was smiling which in turn made me smile.
So I actually have 4 favorites that are 100% keepers.

mds725
08-21-2012, 03:15 PM
The ukuleles I play the most are my Kamaka HF-3 tenor, my Kamaka HF-4 baritone, my Mya-Moe myrtle tenor (#635), and my Mya-Moe myrtle baritone (#669), although recently I've been spending a lot of time with a blemished solid mahogany Pono 6-string I bought on eBay (I have no idea where the blemish is, btw). I'm satisfied with all of them and don't think about additional upgrading. However, I do want a van Pelt, which i'd use to fill a hole in my roster (perhaps a 6-string or 8-string baritone). I'm also planning to go to the Big Island Ukulele Guild exhibition in Hilo in October. I may have to leave the credit cards at home.

webby
08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
I am totally happy with my Maton, can't fault it at all.