What Is The Best Way To Sell A Uke

I am thinking of selling some of my ukes. I would sell them on here but I don't want to deal with shipping and stuff like that. So where else should I be thinking of trading or selling. Do most music stores do trade ins? Any other advice? I just have to many that I dont play anymore.

Thank You

what city do you live in?
and why did you buy all those ukes if not to play them?i do not understand..

Craig's List has always been easy for me. I have sold a lot of old camera equipment, video gear, recording gear, flyrods, bicycles. I often meet in the parking lot of a nearby grocery store.

what city do you live in?
and why did you buy all those ukes if not to play them?i do not understand..

I did play them for a while. I started with my round maholo, played that for about a year then got a higher quality OS OU2T and played that for about a year. My Kala was a gift from my Grandmother so i will not sell that. Now my main ukes are my tenor Cordoba and Bruce Wei mahogany tenor. I live in Henderson Nevada.

I did play them for a while. I started with my round maholo, played that for about a year then got a higher quality OS OU2T and played that for about a year. My Kala was a gift from my Grandmother so i will not sell that. Now my main ukes are my tenor Cordoba and Bruce Wei mahogany tenor. I live in Henderson Nevada.

i would take pippin's advice and try craigs list and maybe meet the person somewhere in public..just to be safe..fyi i dont think i would sell any of my ukuleles..unless i do not like sound of it>> i kind of buy them to PLAY them>> but that is only me ha ha

I do play my ukuleles all the time. But I just like sticking to a few instroments at a time. Eventually I will get a very nice concert and 2 tenors that I will stick with forever but now I am still advancing and expirimenting with differant companys.

I don't think there are too many B&M music stores left that still take trade-ins. Or if they do, it's because they want to sell you something more expensive. Consignment, maybe?

CL is a good option, but be aware that there are many scammers on CL. Definitely meet the person in a public place. Inviting total strangers into your home is a good way to get cased for a burglary or even robbed. ebay and recycler.com both offer free local classifieds as well.

Any uke clubs in your area? Seems bringing your FS ukes to a meet-up would be a good possibility. :)

I am thinking of selling some of my ukes. I would sell them on here but I don't want to deal with shipping and stuff like that. So where else should I be thinking of trading or selling. Do most music stores do trade ins? Any other advice? I just have to many that I dont play anymore.

Thank You

Some music stores will do trade ins, however, you will generally get about 30-40% of what they cab sell an item for. So, if your used uke will sell for $100, the store might give you $30 for it. You are usually better off selling it yourself, unless you are willing to eat a lot of profit.

I'd also look at the cost of the uke brand new. If it isn't an expensive uke it may not be worth selling. I would stay away from a music store. They are going to make a profit and you won't make but maybe 20% of what you could in a private sell.

I have only sold my ukes here on UU and privately through our uke club. No luck on CL b/c most people are wanting a GREAT deal or don't really appreciated a ukes value. To mist musicians a uke is still a toy.

I've sold stacks of ukes and some personal thoughts to share:

1. at a minimum take 20% off the RRP (sometimes more) as a baseline asking price, even if your uke is near new. That way everyone feels like they're getting a good deal.
2. take lots of good, detailed pics and offer as detailed description of specs as you are able.
3. no, most shops will not do trade ins or take commissions. Except shops that explicitly deal with trading, buying and selling second hand stuff. However in such instances you will probably only get around 1/3 of the market value rice, making it a total waste of time unles you are really desperate for immediate cash.
4. an ad in the local paper?
5. contact local uke groups with a flyer re your for sale instrument
6. try and provide a video sound and visual sample in your ad. This often has a really strong impact.
7. reconsider your decision not to ship. Your market will open up exponentially. Shipping isn't as difficult or complicated as you may think provided you pack with due care.

all the best with your sales! :)

I sent you a message a few days ago because I saw a comment saying you got the Cordoba from us and it has incorrect bridge placement making the intonation off. My message was to please contact me so that we can get it back and either replace it. You can also try a different model using that money toward it. I have not gotten a reply.
The whole basis for our success is to have happy customers. We have 5 emails on our website and 4 phone numbers including my cell number. We have a store that is open 7 days a week. If we made a mistake and let something like that out, I want to make it right. So don't sell it to someone else. Things like that need to go back to the maker, and I apologize if you ever attempted to reach us and did not get through but we are here and want to get you set up with something you are gonna love. That was not a cheap ukulele. I am curious why you don't want us to help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom