Hate for Hawaiians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewKuker

Reaction score
Last night I read a post by Ukeon Territory saying that Sailor Brand ukes are better than any other brand. Another poster said something like- take it easy, it's not a competition. Ukeon replies that uke
companies are in a blood bath competition.

So I replied that this was false and the best builders are more busy than they can handle and that his promotional approach was no service to the instrument. I also stated it was odd that Sailor Brand
was made in America, but the Luthier wanted to remain anonymous. American luthiers will usually stand behind their work.

So a bit controversial, but when I can make it to UU I often have a few cents to throw in and I don't agree with anyone trying to tell everyone that one brand is better than all others. Most of us understand it to be much too complicated and subjective to make such statements. I figured I would have something amusing to see here today but when I got up and checked my emails, there was one titled- "ANDREW . ARE YOU REALLY THSAT STUPID?" Spelling was funny given the subject title, and I don't usually click on things like that, but I saw it was from UKEON TERRITORY. This is the entire message copied and pasted without one word missing. Wouldn't normally share private mail but this is just outrageous,

Edit: Hateful post removed at the request of the original poster. Thanks. -seeso.

Racism is ugly and offensive. And not based in reality. Is this person actually respected as a member here? Or even allowed to enjoy this wonderful forum started by locals in Hawaii?
Checked the post and it was gone so I had no idea what was said.
But just to make sure, there are other people that have disagreed with this person and aren't..missing..right? Because I love Sailor Brand. I promise, no please....:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
andrew..i hope they kicked that guy off this site..i dont want to be on a site with people like him...kind of hard to believe..

after reading the post again this guy must be pulling our leg right?

Last edited:
shakes head in shame:(

I love Sailor Brand ukes. I know why the American Luthier wants to remain anonymous. I know the whole story.
I also love Hawaiian Brands too (not so much Kanile'a but I do like their sound monsters:))

Racism is ugly and offensive. I'm married to a Puerto Rican. I want to move to Puerto Rico one day (much cheaper than Hawaii), but I would love to move back to Maui and would do it in a heart beat.

As far as what ukes are the best....DUH!! Everyone with any sense knows that it is a MAKALA DOLPHIN:)

We need to be careful about not making this a flame war.

Let's hope the moderators take some action. I'm not sure how to fix ignorance like that; i'm not sure it can be done unless that person wants to change.

Did I miss something? Isn't Hawaii a state?

::SMH::

Just for record, I have been wanting to change my name to Ukeon Cornielious since that has been my nickname since 2009 and I now live on the Yukon River and I look just like Yukon Cornilious, but I am hesitant at times.

Andrew I was on last night and watched the whole thing unfold before my disbelieving eyes. He also sent me numerous PMs last evening as I got caught in the middle of it too.

Yes, he has been banned from the website. The post that he deleted (and replaced with a couple of short phrases) is perhaps the most disgusting and offensive thing I've ever read on this forum. As I read it I couldn't believe what I was reading. Weirder still, I noticed he 'was' a member of Ukers for Christ group. As a Christian myself, I was astounded and sadenned that someone who professes such faith could have made such remarks in a public space - let alone think them in private. To quote scripture and then write some of the most bigotted and hateful things about his fellow man was scary, to me anyway.

The whole affair was a debacle and led me to question whether or not he may have had some mental issues. The racism is another matter entirely and a utter blight on his own character. He has some history in these matters evidently.

I thought your initial post was fair and utterly warranted. To assert that a mid range uke is superior to 'all others' is ludicrous in the extreme, no matter how one looks at it, and at least a passive insult to the wide range of incredible builders around. Sure he is passionate about the ukes he loves and told me so in great detail, but there is a clear line which he crossed, and then crossed again and again.

Just glad we were able to salvage the Big K from the train wreck of that thread.

To answer your question, you won't find any more hate for the Hawaiian people on this forum I don't believe. My best friend on here is a Hawaiian and I love him dearly. As I love all the guys who began this thing and keep it ticking, and all the shop owners and builders whom I have had the pleasure to deal with in the past, Mike, yourself...the list goes on. You guys have taught me as much about loving and respecting others as anyone, and continue to.

I appreciate the courage of this thread you have begun. Cheers and blessings mate

jon

Blimmey this is all a bit startling, i have always found UU such a wonderful and warm and friendly place where everyone has a common love of the uke what ever brand, a sad day indeed. I have always had much respect and love for this site and fellow members, and always felt good it was a utopia of sites.
I still feel the same way about the site and the beautiful people on here, but i guess every now and again a space cadet or two are going to slip through the net.
There is NO excuse for racism in any form what so ever. I just hope this doesnt all blow up and lets return tot he love of our passion for ALL things Ukulele, peace and love to you all :)

Andrew I was on last night and watched the whole thing unfold before my disbelieving eyes. He also sent me numerous PMs last evening as I got caught in the middle of it too.

Yes, he has been banned from the website. The post that he deleted (and replaced with a couple of short phrases) is perhaps the most disgusting and offensive thing I've ever read on this forum. As I read it I couldn't believe what I was reading. Weirder still, I noticed he 'was' a member of Ukers for Christ group. As a Christian myself, I was astounded and sadenned that someone who professes such faith could have made such remarks in a public space - let alone think them in private. To quote scripture and then write some of the most bigotted and hateful things about his fellow man was scary, to me anyway.

The whole affair was a debacle and led me to question whether or not he may have had some mental issues. The racism is another matter entirely and a utter blight on his own character. He has some history in these matters evidently.

I thought your initial post was fair and utterly warranted. To assert that a mid range uke is superior to 'all others' is ludicrous in the extreme, no matter how one looks at it, and at least a passive insult to the wide range of incredible builders around. Sure he is passionate about the ukes he loves and told me so in great detail, but there is a clear line which he crossed, and then crossed again and again.

Just glad we were able to salvage the Big K from the train wreck of that thread.

To answer your question, you won't find any more hate for the Hawaiian people on this forum I don't believe. My best friend on here is a Hawaiian and I love him dearly. As I love all the guys who began this thing and keep it ticking, and all the shop owners and builders whom I have had the pleasure to deal with in the past, Mike, yourself...the list goes on. You guys have taught me as much about loving and respecting others as anyone, and continue to.

I appreciate the courage of this thread you have begun. Cheers and blessings mate

jon

I'm with you Jon...Hence the shaking head in shame.

I've been incognito for the last few weeks (internet is spotty here in the Bush of Alaska and UU has been blocked by ISP). But for some reason UU isn't blocked today:)

I'm just glas I missed this crap. I'm glad everything has been restored to order.

Aloha Andrew,

Your comment in the SB thread was accurate as it should be, and I also found the guy's words not encouraging at all. I think UU is getting bigger and growing too fast, so someone without a clue or respect to other forum members can do harmful things if he wants. That is the beauty and ugly of Internet. You can find treasure and trash at the same time. Lets put it behind and move on.

What a disgusting email. I hope that this doesn't turn you off to UU Andrew - I sincerely doubt that anyone else here even remotely shares his views.

All I can say is wow, just wow. I've never seen or heard anything as blatantly offensive in the two short years I've been a member here. Yes, I own a Sailor Brand & yes I own several "K" brands. I count many of you on UU as "close" friends as we've shared a bit of our lives here on UU & though I've only been to Hawaii twice several years ago, I would move to the Big Island in a heartbeat if possible.

I feel compelled to apologize to UU for even being part of the original Sailor Brand thread at all, though I was just trying to add some facts (and my subjective appraisal). It was John (HaoleJohn, or Alaska Bushman now) who let me play his beautiful KoAloha's that introduced me to the wonderful world of the Hawaiian made ORIGINATORS of the ukulele & the great group of South East Ukers who taught me so much in bi-weekly jams. Great guys & gals, all of them.

Mahalo! Think I need to go play my Sailor & a couple of my "K" brands to purge this nasty bit of business from my mind.

The person responsible for that is NOT representative of UU membership, thus he is no longer a member.

Please, let's not prolong the unpleasantness. Let's move on and talk about nice things... like 'ukuleles.

Peace to all.

Wow, just wow.

I figured I would have something amusing to see here today but when I got up and checked my emails, there was one titled- "ANDREW . ARE YOU REALLY THSAT STUPID?" Spelling was funny given the subject title, and I don't usually click on things like that, but I saw it was from UKEON TERRITORY.
I'm going to hazard a guess that given his spelling, ranting tone and it being late on a Saturday night, that perhaps he was drunk out of his gourd.

The whole affair was a debacle and led me to question whether or not he may have had some mental issues.
Some people are happy drunks, some get mean and belligerent. I suspect he's the latter and his personal demons took over. That, or he truly is mental and went off his meds.

Please, let's not prolong the unpleasantness. Let's move on and talk about nice things... like 'ukuleles.

Peace to all.
Yes Rick, agreed...I reckon a couple of us needed to de-brief today is all. I know I was so shocked about this thread yesterday I had to PM a friend about what on earth was going on in the aftermath late last night.

Seeing we're back to talking about lovin ukes...the one I bought off Andrew a couple of months back is pretty much the best soprano, pound for pound, that I ever bought...a Pono MSD, one of the blemished stock that he let go. I've tried and can find no blemish. The thing sings like a bird. For less than 200 bucks I feel I've got the sound of a thousand dollar instrument. I'm playing it even more than my Mya Moe sop which is saying something!!!! Light and responsive...so yummy

Wow, just wow.

I'm going to hazard a guess that given his spelling, ranting tone and it being late on a Saturday night, that perhaps he was drunk out of his gourd.

Some people are happy drunks, some get mean and belligerent. I suspect he's the latter and his personal demons took over. That, or he truly is mental and went off his meds.

Honestly, I really don't think he drank at all. I've never met him personally. But we have had conversations. I don't think alcohol was involved.

Thank you. That whole thing was disturbing, to say the least.

I have to really start saving, so I can go visit my Cousin Stacey in Captain Cook, on the Big Island. My wife and I need some Aloha Spirit again. It has been almost 10 years since the last trip. (Back in the days when I had a well-paid job, with lots of time off...)

Unfortunately, I didn't play ukulele at the time...

-Kurt​

The person responsible for that is NOT representative of UU membership, thus he is no longer a member.

Peace to all.

I agree with Rick, but I wanted to add one thought. It isn't just Hawaiians this guy hates; it's anyone who doesn't think like he does, anyone he percieves to be different from him, anyone who doesn't agree with him. He would say the same thing about so many others. I'm glad he's gone, but I'm happier that I'm headed to Maui in just under three weeks!

HI is the 50th state- the Americans kept the best for last!

I can't figure out how to delete this post. Too negative, and pointless, but I've spent the last half hour trying to figure it out. You go to edit post and then.... help me out guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom