Just a new guy saying hello!

Kona-Son

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just stumbled across this site while searching the net. It looked cool so I thought I'd join.

I recently inherited 2 ukuleles from my Dad. He lived in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii and suddenly passed away at 62 from a heart attack a little less that 2 months ago. He played the guitar most of his life but when he retired over in Kona to surf away the rest of his life away he started playing the ukulele. He had several of them over the years and he was really good at playing them all.

Now that he's gone, I am trying to learn to play them myself, after all they are meant to be played not to sit on a shelf right! I feel like he passed the torch onto me and I still feel close to him when I play.

With all that being said, if anyone has any advise for a beginner I'd love to hear it. I'm just playing around with some chords and trying some different strums but so far I love it. It's addicting!

E Komo Mai and welcome to UU. My condolences on your recent lost. Yea, I'm glad you've taken an interest in playing especially being in the islands where it's an everyday thing. I dunno what kine music you like, but you can check out da List of Tabs and the Tabs Resource List fo songs. If you can, try find one instructor or guys fo jam with and you goin pickup stuff fasta. If you get odda questions, post 'um and somebody goin come up wit one ansa. K-den, latahs.

E Komo Mai and welcome to UU. My condolences on your recent lost. Yea, I'm glad you've taken an interest in playing especially being in the islands where it's an everyday thing. I dunno what kine music you like, but you can check out da List of Tabs and the Tabs Resource List fo songs. If you can, try find one instructor or guys fo jam with and you goin pickup stuff fasta. If you get odda questions, post 'um and somebody goin come up wit one ansa. K-den, latahs.

Thanks for the "Welcome". I actually live in Southern California, my dad lived in Kona for about 10 years. I started listening to Hawaiin music about 5 years ago whe my dad started sending me CD's. Some of my favorites are slack key stuff, Gabby Pahinui, Ledward Kaapana, and of course IZ. I start lessons on Wednesday from a guy I work with. Thanks for the links, I'll check it out!

There's several groups in the SoCal area who often get together. Check out the Regional Get Togethers forum and you can contact some of the guys/gals. If your interested in Hawaiian Music, check out Hawaiian Hula Archives for traditional music (Sorry, no chords - just lyrics) and for contemporary stuff, TSH. One more resource of Traditional Hawaiian music is a songbook entitled He Mele Aloha and I think available at Borders. Most of the Hawaiian music, the traditional stuff is usually comprised of 3-4 chord progressions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the "Welcome". I actually live in Southern California, my dad lived in Kona for about 10 years. I started listening to Hawaiin music about 5 years ago whe my dad started sending me CD's. Some of my favorites are slack key stuff, Gabby Pahinui, Ledward Kaapana, and of course IZ. I start lessons on Wednesday from a guy I work with. Thanks for the links, I'll check it out!

Welcome Kona-Son! We jam to traditonal Hawaiian ukulele music Tuesdays (except the first Tues. of the month) at 7:00 at Island Bizaar in Huntington Beach. Most of the songs we play can be found in He Mele Aloha and played using 3 or 4 chords. We have beginner beginners to advanced players. Come out, it's good fun!

There's several groups in the SoCal area who often get together. Check out the Regional Get Togethers forum and you can contact some of the guys/gals. If your interested in Hawaiian Music, check out Hawaiian Hula Archives for traditional music (Sorry, no chords - just lyrics) and for contemporary stuff, TSH. One more resource of Traditional Hawaiian music is a songbook entitled He Mele Aloha and I think available at Borders. Most of the Hawaiian music, the traditional stuff is usually comprised of 3-4 chord progressions.

Welcome Kona-Son! We jam to traditonal Hawaiian ukulele music Tuesdays (except the first Tues. of the month) at 7:00 at Island Bizaar in Huntington Beach. Most of the songs we play can be found in He Mele Aloha and played using 3 or 4 chords. We have beginner beginners to advanced players. Come out, it's good fun!

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it and I'll check it all out. Probably won't make it down to HB but do appreciate te offer, sounds like fun!

Hello and welcome to the Ukulele Underground. My sincere condolences for your loss. Whenever you strum those ukes, your father strums with you.

sorry about ur loss man i wouldn't be able to cope no lie! but welcome to the site!

My heart goes out for you, my friend. I am sorry about your loss. I think that your dad would really want you to start playing ukulele. May he be with you with every strum.

Aloha and welcome to UU! Sorry about your loss. I bet your dad would be happy to hear that you picked up the ukulele and he will be in your heart when you play it. I am also a beginner to and I also began taking lessons 2 weeks ago. Good luck with your lessons! Have fun and keep on strumming!

Top Bottom