PDA

View Full Version : willie wixom vs Da Silva

BIGDB
08-20-2012, 09:28 AM
i just put a deposit on a willie wixom and i was thinking is it worth me saving more money and getting a da silva or mya moe or are willie wixoms good for the price?

thanks

Mandarb
08-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Its your call. Speak with the various builders and get some feedback from them. Go with whoever you like.

808boy
08-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Aloha,
I own a Wixom and I love mine, but it's YOUR call and your MONEY.
Good luck..........................BO.................. ......

SailingUke
08-20-2012, 09:45 AM
I own a Da Silva and 2 Mya-Moe's.
All are excellent, I have never regretted buying any of them.

Dan Uke
08-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Seems like you are comparing apples to oranges...however, it's your call like everyone is saying

BIGDB
08-20-2012, 10:00 AM
I own a Da Silva and 2 Mya-Moe's.
All are excellent, I have never regretted buying any of them.

if you dont mind me asking.
how much does a james hill tenor cost?

Stevelele
08-20-2012, 10:04 AM
I seriously doubt that anyone will come on here and say one is better than the other. So maybe you can try to look at some facts that you can compare. Both Mya Moe and DaSilva have been making ukes for quite a bit longer than Willie, and they have more experience (both have built hundreds). Wixoms are far more inexpensive than Mya Moes and DaSilvas, but the Wixom fanbase is pretty enthusiastic about their instruments. Of the three, DaSilva has the most experience making artistically unusual ukes (see matt dahlberg's uke). Mya Moe has an incredibly impressive selection of diverse woods.... I know Dasilva has an awesome batch of Koa, but I don't think he dabbles in as many woods as Mya Moe.

SailingUke
08-20-2012, 10:56 AM
if you dont mind me asking.
how much does a james hill tenor cost?

It should be on his website or available from him. Mine is several years old and many price changes ago.

mangorockfish
08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
It's the player, not the instrument.

rocko
08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
It's the player, not the instrument.

The better the player, the more accurate the statement above is... IMHO, for a newbie or a less-skilled player, a better instrument helps tremendously:

1. It's easier to play. Better action, intonation, etc.
2. It sounds better (tone, sustain, volume)
3. It's an investment (which tends to up my commitment level)

It's like trying to learn golf with junk clubs or tennis with a lousy racket. The better equipment won't make you a better player, but it will take some of the discouragement out of the equation.

In terms of the OP, it is difficult to compare the relative values of custom instruments. I'm in line for a Mya-Moe and quite happy with my decision. But I've seen some fine pictures of WW in this forum...

Best,
rocko

weerpool
08-20-2012, 11:58 AM
i disagree with some of your statement. i might represent a minority here in my opinion but i learned how to play the guitar on the crappiest classical guitar ever built. the action was 1/4" at the nut among others . my tiny fingers was raw every practice. that didnt discouraged me one bit. in fact, it did the complete opposite. another thing i noticed is alot of newbie players tend to get so caught up in the idea that an expensive instrument will always sound better. that really really anoys me beacuse its a complete baloney. like the other post had said ' int not the instrument, its the player".
if you want a good investement go buy gold bars.

The better the player, the more accurate the statement above is... IMHO, for a newbie or a less-skilled player, a better instrument helps tremendously:

It's like trying to learn golf with junk clubs or tennis with a lousy racket. The better equipment won't make you a better player, but it will take some of the discouragement out of the equation.

In terms of the OP, it is difficult to compare the relative values of custom instruments. I'm in line for a Mya-Moe and quite happy with my decision. But I've seen some fine pictures of WW in this forum...

Best,
rocko

RichM
08-20-2012, 12:18 PM
i disagree with some of your statement. i might represent a minority here in my opinion but i learned how to play the guitar on the crappiest classical guitar ever built. the action was 1/4" at the nut among others . my tiny fingers was raw every practice. that didnt discouraged me one bit. in fact, it did the complete opposite. another thing i noticed is alot of newbie players tend to get so caught up in the idea that an expensive instrument will always sound better. that really really anoys me beacuse its a complete baloney. like the other post had said ' int not the instrument, its the player".

While I admire your tenacity for learning on a poor instrument, I'd be hard-pressed to recommend to anyone that they learn on a poor instrument when they have the means to acquire a quality instrument. I do agree that a quality instrument need not be expensive, and doubly agree that it is not true that an expensive instrument will always sound better (although I don't see anybody claiming that-- it would be sort of a silly claim).

With musical instruments, as with many things, "quality" is a specious term. At certain levels, "quality" has more to do with preferences than absolutes. For example, I own a fairly expensive guitar. I didn't buy it because it's expensive, I bought it because it fit me better than any guitar I had ever played, and the price was more than worth it for me. I've played $20,000 guitars that I wouldn't pay $100 for because they didn't suit me. It's not right/wrong, better/worse; it's fit and preference.

Is figured wood, fancy inlay, etc. worth the price? Obviously it is to some people, since they buy it. For some folks, the visual impact of the instrument is an important factor. Others treat them as tools, and prefer a more functional look. Not right or wrong, but perference.

For the OP: at a certain level, nobody can tell you what you want; they can only relate their experiences with a certain instrument and help you make the decision as to whether or not that's the experience you want.

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 12:20 PM
WW vs DaS???? Like, in a world-title fight? Now that'd be worth seeing on the UWC stage next year... :p

RichM
08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
WW vs DaS???? Like, in a world-title fight? Now that'd be worth seeing on the UWC stage next year... :p

I don't want Mike and Willie to come to blows, so I put Mike DaSilva and Willie Wixom in googlefight.com. DaSilva won handily, 58,900 to 2,680.

There. Now it's settled.

:)

By the way, why did you have to make me go to the DaSilva web site? The spruce over myrtle concert he has up there is sweeter than sweet.

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 12:35 PM
By the way, why did you have to make me go to the DaSilva web site? The spruce over myrtle concert he has up there is sweeter than sweet.
mmmm, stunning isn't it Rich.

SailingUke
08-20-2012, 01:07 PM

I admire your tenacity as well. I would guess more people quit learning out of frustration with the instrument.
Most beginners don't know about intonation or action, they just think they suck at playing.
Learners can get a nice instrument for learning for less than $100.

Customs are a different story.

mangorockfish
08-20-2012, 01:18 PM

Best,
rocko
Where did you come up w/the name rocko?

mds725
08-20-2012, 01:54 PM
To unhijack this thread (cyberfights between luthiers and whether it's possible to learn on a crappy instrument are legitimate, interesting and fun topics, but neither of those discussions is really helping to address the OP's specific question).

I read the OP's initial post as asking not to compare the ukuleles directly, but to compare their relative value, as the OP acknoledged that to buy something other than a Wixom would require saving more money that has already been saved for the Wixom. In other words, is a Wixom a better value at $600 than a Mya-Moe is at $1,200 or a DaSilva is at whatever Mike's charging these days? What I'd say in response to that question is that there are too many personal variables, so it really depends on what kind of ukulele you envision having. For example, Wixoms seem to be a bit heavier than Mya-Moes (which are noted for their lightness) and DaSilva ukes. If you get a Wixom uke for $600 that some might believe is worth $800 on the open market, is it really a value if you wanted a lighter uke? In addition, there's the experience of working with the builder. Mya-Moe would be the first to tell you that it builds "made-to-order" ukes; that is, you can choose along some parameters, like what wood to use, whether to get a slotted headstock, and which tuners and strings to get, but not among others, like the bracing, body size and shape, etc. I'd use this as a basic guide: If you want to get a custom uke without paying what are generally considered to be custom prices, you may prefer a Wixom. If you want a high end custom uke, you should talk with Mike DaSilva. if you want a hig end uke that isn't quite custom but has a great reputation, get a Mya-Moe. The best value for you is the ukulele that meets your expectations for both the instrument itself and the level of involvement you want to have in its design. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

justinlcecil
08-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Stick with your Wixom. You won't regret it. And as far as options go, Willie will let you pick any wood you want and will do any design you want. I wouldn't trade my wixom for a mya moe and DaSilva. Not because they aren't quality ukes but because my wixom is uniquely mine. I haven't seen another like mine. Also I was able to get a 5A Koa set at a 60 dollar upgrade charge...are you kidding me? So much curl in this thing I dare not stare at it for too long. If your not satisfied with your willie you can always sell it and invest in a DaSilva. And if your not satisfied with the DaSilva you can sell it. eventually you will find what your after. One of the nice things is that these builders ukes seem to retain their value. Better than the stock market!
-JC

hmgberg
08-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Who is Willie Da Silva anyway? What is a google fight? My Oh Moe!

Dan Uke
08-20-2012, 02:56 PM
I was able to get a 5A Koa set at a 60 dollar upgrade charge...are you kidding me? So much curl in this thing I dare not stare at it for too long.

Wow that's cheap for an upgrade!! What makes it 5A?

GregT
08-20-2012, 03:21 PM
To unhijack this thread (cyberfights between luthiers and whether it's possible to learn on a crappy instrument are legitimate, interesting and fun topics, but neither of those discussions is really helping to address the OP's specific question).

I read the OP's initial post as asking not to compare the ukuleles directly, but to compare their relative value, as the OP acknoledged that to buy something other than a Wixom would require saving more money that has already been saved for the Wixom. In other words, is a Wixom a better value at $600 than a Mya-Moe is at $1,200 or a DaSilva is at whatever Mike's charging these days? What I'd say in response to that question is that there are too many personal variables, so it really depends on what kind of ukulele you envision having. For example, Wixoms seem to be a bit heavier than Mya-Moes (which are noted for their lightness) and DaSilva ukes. If you get a Wixom uke for $600 that some might believe is worth $800 on the open market, is it really a value if you wanted a lighter uke? In addition, there's the experience of working with the builder. Mya-Moe would be the first to tell you that it builds "made-to-order" ukes; that is, you can choose along some parameters, like what wood to use, whether to get a slotted headstock, and which tuners and strings to get, but not among others, like the bracing, body size and shape, etc. I'd use this as a basic guide: If you want to get a custom uke without paying what are generally considered to be custom prices, you may prefer a Wixom. If you want a high end custom uke, you should talk with Mike DaSilva. if you want a hig end uke that isn't quite custom but has a great reputation, get a Mya-Moe. The best value for you is the ukulele that meets your expectations for both the instrument itself and the level of involvement you want to have in its design. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

As someone that has been looking at made to order ukuleles, I've got to say that the impression I get from many of the posts here on UU on the Willie Wixom instruments remind me a little of "excitement" around the Saturn automobile years ago - thought to be a good product at a relatively cheap price. As mds725 notes, it might be a $600 ukulele worth $800, but seems to me, not in the same class as a DaSilva or MM. Most all of the owners note some minor flaw(s) in the finish on the WW, and that to me speaks of a luthier progressing from a hobby builder to a high quality professional. Like most things, it appears that you pretty much get what you pay for - there is nothing at all wrong with a Saturn, just don't expect a Lexus.

RichM
08-20-2012, 03:27 PM
If your not satisfied with your willie you can always sell it

I did not know this.

Patrick Madsen
08-20-2012, 03:30 PM
There is also the opprotunity to buy a higher "quality" used uke at a much better price. Going for a custom before you really know what you want or who to build it is for down the road imo. What I thought I would want in a uke when I first changed over from a guitar is completley different than what I will order next year for my special build. I've bought a few used ukes over time with different configurations and narrowed it down.

It's exciting picking out a new build. So many choices and opprotunities. If it's not perfect, ya can sell it and go on to the next one. I'm sure this won't be your last!

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
If your not satisfied with your willie you can always sell it
hooray for the marvels of modern medicine! happy days are surely here again...

It's exciting picking out a new build. So many choices and opprotunities.
um...I'll just go ask eugenie...he he :o

mm stan
08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Ha Ha Bruddah Eugene....Bad Bad Boy....you made my pepsi go down my wind pipe.....sheesh

808boy
08-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Too funny but let's keep this rated G or at least PG, lol...........................BO.................. ..

BIGDB
08-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Stick with your Wixom. You won't regret it. And as far as options go, Willie will let you pick any wood you want and will do any design you want. I wouldn't trade my wixom for a mya moe and DaSilva. Not because they aren't quality ukes but because my wixom is uniquely mine. I haven't seen another like mine. Also I was able to get a 5A Koa set at a 60 dollar upgrade charge...are you kidding me? So much curl in this thing I dare not stare at it for too long. If your not satisfied with your willie you can always sell it and invest in a DaSilva. And if your not satisfied with the DaSilva you can sell it. eventually you will find what your after. One of the nice things is that these builders ukes seem to retain their value. Better than the stock market!
-JC

wow thats a good price for 5a wood and he has said yes to pretty much every thing i wanted he seems like a really nice guy

hmgberg
08-20-2012, 06:34 PM

I usually don't have much to contribute to these which-is-better threads, but now I will say that nobody can touch my willie ... it's the best.

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 06:58 PM
I usually don't have much to contribute to these which-is-better threads, but now I will say that nobody can touch my willie ... it's the best.
he he Howard...or might I say My Willie is the best! (and My Next Willie will be even better!!!!) ha ha

clearly I have nothing to contribute here either...shucks :o

808boy
08-20-2012, 07:09 PM
You guys are too funny.
Eugene, you should be "Eugene Ukuwillie" now. And hmgberg, you should be "humbug". lol

hmgberg
08-20-2012, 07:13 PM
he he Howard...or might I say My Willie is the best! (and My Next Willie will be even better!!!!) ha ha

clearly I have nothing to contribute here either...shucks :o

You're a hard man, Jon. The question for the missus was posed in another thread:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?69180-How-many-are-satisfied-with-the-Uke-you-have-now

Satisfaction guaranteed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zAik9LNnqU

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 07:30 PM
You're a hard man, Jon. The question for the missus was posed in another thread:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?69180-How-many-are-satisfied-with-the-Uke-you-have-now

Satisfaction guaranteed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zAik9LNnqU

aaaah Harold, I always knew you were a baritone kinda guy. I think I'm more a concert, maybe a tenor on a warm day :biglaugh:

Seriously though, back to the thread, everyone needs a good Willie in my opinion :p

808boy
08-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Jon,
If I had a choice, I'd have a Baritone size Willie, top of the size line.......................BO...............

hmgberg
08-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Jon:

Just remember this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxiw9vP3NUc

All the best,

Howard

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
absolute classic stuff mate. Two BRILLIANT songs. Thanks for them :)

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Jon,
If I had a choice, I'd have a Baritone size Willie, top of the size line.......................BO...............

Aloha Bruddah Bo! Yes Bruddah, I believe you are making a good choice...some prefer the length of the baritone scale, others prefer to strum the concert Willie's. It's personal preference. All Willie's are good in the right hands. Who is this Mike DaSilva cat anyway?

ooops...shucks...was that the line there I just crossed over? shoots...I'm, outta here before I get banned. :p

justinlcecil
08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I've got my willie in my hands right now. Tis a sight to see! When I bring out my willie it makes everyone sing and dance. The same goes for my OTHER :p ukuleles.

Canoe Lady
08-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Jon,

Ah, Bo, not everyone needs a bari. From a female standpoint, a nice solid wood tenor Willie is just about perfect. Even a concert Willie can be enjoyable if handled properly.

----I'll go stand in the corner with Eugene now-----

808boy
08-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Aloha Kakou,
Yikes, this thread went sideways, but all in fun. Just part of the UU humor, NO HARM, NO FOUL, lmao............BO.........
Love you guys..................

808boy
08-20-2012, 09:06 PM
@Diane,..LMAO......you made my morning, you're such a sweetheart, mahalo for that................BO...........

Canoe Lady
08-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Hasn't there been a "Post pictures of your Willie" thread started somewhere? Now that would have lots of views.....
I know some of you would just LOVE to show your Willies.

----ok, I'm going back to the corner now----

808boy
08-20-2012, 09:20 PM
@ Diane,
Yes there is. Mine has a "D" hole. Dodie, make a doctor's appointment for me quick..................
I'll join you and Jon in the corner. Can we play with our ukes? LMAO....................

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 09:23 PM
From a female standpoint, a nice solid wood tenor Willie is just about perfect. Even a concert Willie can be enjoyable if handled properly.

----I'll go stand in the corner with Eugene now-----

wha??? wha???Don't forget the soprano Willie's Diane. They can be exceptionally lively and vibrant ...jus' sayin.

I heard Willie had to invent a whole new scale for Stan...super baritone I believe he called it... oops, shucks I did it again...he he :o

mm stan
08-20-2012, 09:30 PM
OOhhh Mya Moe, all this talk about the Willies.....time for all of you to go to bed..
@ Eugene...I prefer a larger soundhole, which helps with the volume and projection...

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 09:34 PM
OOhhh Mya Moe, all this talk about the Willies.....time for all of you to go to bed..

Bruddah these are very wise words. I've heard Willie's solid wood builds perform better in the morning too, thanks for the heads up :p

808boy
08-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Thank you my Brothers and Sister. This really helped me tonight dealing with missing my Fiance so much.............

The Big Kahuna
08-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I think the best outcome for everybody would be if I stayed a very long way away from this thread.

Canoe Lady
08-20-2012, 09:40 PM
wha??? wha???Don't forget the soprano Willie's Diane. They can be exceptionally lively and vibrant ...jus' sayin.

Are you speaking from personal experience Jon? As much as a soprano Willie can be cute and fun to play, I mostly like to hold a Willie with a little more substance.

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Are you speaking from personal experience Jon? As much as a soprano Willie can be cute and fun to play, I mostly like to hold a Willie with a little more substance.
so does eugenie D, that's why she married me. just can't beat the feel of a super tenor eh... :p

Canoe Lady
08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
I think the best outcome for everybody would be if I stayed a very long way away from this thread.

Do you have to stay far away so we don't accidently get hit by your baritone Willie?

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 09:47 PM
but K, you're already here. why come all that way for nothing. I've heard folks rave about your Willie...

Teek
08-20-2012, 09:47 PM
@ Diane, re substance I thought so too until I met a guy with a bass Willie, he was happy to let me hold and play around with it, but it needed a Magnum case when he was ready to tuck it in and those are tough to find at 2am.

808boy
08-20-2012, 09:51 PM
@Diane,
Just got back from Maui after 5 1/2 months. You're dreaming of Hana? Well we went there, my Fiance was driving and I was playing my uke. After awhile she pulled over to let me drive. As you know, the road to Hana is very winding. It's a GOOD thing she was holding on to my Willie. Made it easier and more enjoyable to drive....................

mm stan
08-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Did your super tenor Willie Come with a warranty Eugene???

Canoe Lady
08-20-2012, 09:54 PM
@ Diane, re substance I thought so too until I met a guy with a bass Willie, he was happy to let me hold and play around with it, but it needed a Magnum case when he was ready to tuck it in and those are tough to find at 2am.

Ah, Teek, that's why the tenor Willie is perfect. Pretty tough to find a case for those deep baritones.

Canoe Lady
08-20-2012, 09:55 PM
@Diane,
Just got back from Maui after 5 1/2 months. You're dreaming of Hana? Well we went there, my Fiance was driving and I was playing my uke. After awhile she pulled over to let me drive. As you know, the road to Hana is very winding. It's a GOOD thing she was holding on to my Willie. Made it easier and more enjoyable to drive....................

It's always nice to have someone you trust and love hold onto your Willie.

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Did your super tenor Willie Come with a warranty Eugene???

ha ha...LIFETIME GUARANTEE Stan. Same as Howie, complete satisfaction guaranteed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zAik9LNnqU :)

808boy
08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Bruddah these are very wise words. I've heard Willie's solid wood builds perform better in the morning too, thanks for the heads up :p

@Eugene, reminds me of the car that the California surfers made popular in the early 60s, I believe it was called a "WOODIE", really LMAO...........................BO................. ..

Canoe Lady
08-20-2012, 10:19 PM
I've heard Willie's solid wood builds perform better in the morning too :p

I just can't even think about spending time with a Willie too early in the morning until I've had my coffee. The best Willies will perform anytime, morning, afternoon, or evening!

808boy
08-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Well said, Diane... and so true................

hmgberg
08-21-2012, 12:53 AM
@808Boy - be careful with your willie in the car. Here is a gentleman who would be happy to sell you a new ride for your willie:

@Teek - I'd bet these ladies can handle a Baritone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEeeGMpM_Nk

Kanaka916
08-21-2012, 01:34 AM
OK . . . let's stay on topic.

Hippie Dribble
08-21-2012, 02:29 AM
BIGDB, I think the Willie's have it. :)

seeso
08-21-2012, 03:51 AM
You people are mental. :D

1937Scott
08-21-2012, 04:56 AM
Good Mornin'!

Well, as a happy WW Uke owner, I'd encourage you to follow through.... However, I like Mike DaSilva, and his ukes are very, very high-end. He takes an extreme amount of pride in workmanship, and they are as thin and light as I've ever seen.

The down side to that is DaSilva has a long wait, and I'm pretty sure you'll pay more. If those don't bother you, then those aren't detractors. In fact, I bet you could order one of each today and find that you'd be playing the WW for a while before the DaSilva showed up. If you didn't like the WW, you could sell it and offset some of the cost of the second uke....

Scott

mds725
08-21-2012, 08:48 AM
There's a lot of entertaining humor (and, of course, some juvenile humor) in this thread, but it kinda sucks for the OP, who got a handful of posts that might help him with the question he was hoping this forum would help him answer and about five pages of "willie" jokes. Oh well.

janeray1940
08-21-2012, 08:53 AM
The down side to that is DaSilva has a long wait

Not true at all. I ordered my DaSilva at the end of May, and it arrived the first week of July. So, 6 weeks or so? From what I've seen here, the wait time for Wixom ukes is much longer.

tattwo
08-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Mike makes some great ukes. Very clean work and very light

Hippie Dribble
08-21-2012, 09:31 AM
There's a lot of entertaining humor (and, of course, some juvenile humor) in this thread, but it kinda sucks for the OP, who got a handful of posts that might help him with the question he was hoping this forum would help him answer and about five pages of "willie" jokes. Oh well.

hey Mark...my own view?

Is that the premise of the question makes me totally uncomfortable. I have recently responded to the OP's other threads with due seriousness, but I confess that I find this thread a little pointless. First of all I do not like the 'pitting one custom builder against another' implication inherent in the question. Second, the OP has already made a decision here. Thirdly, we cannot, in all seriousness, tell him or her which custom builder to choose, they're are apples and oranges as a couple of minutes of research would show.

The thread went...um, south, because we made a joke or two and it snowballed, as things do on quiet evenings on the forum occasionally. I don't believe we were being disrespectful, but sharing a laugh together and having fun...not at the OP's expense, but just because we could. I take responsibility for that, but I also think we can get too serious about stuff at times, and I know I am as guilty of this as anyone. I also believe the OP had had a solid amount of serious responses by that time.

Don't mean to be inflammatory brother, just to be honest with you and give my own warped Tassie redneck perspective.

Cheers mate
jon

Kanaka916
08-21-2012, 09:51 AM
I think this thread has run it's course. There should be ample info for the OP to make a decision and from what I gather, he hasn't asked for his deposit back. Consider this thread closed.