any thoughts on Freshman Concert uke FU2C

filipinouker

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any opinion on the Freshman Concert ukulele, model FU2C ? It has "doa" wood (what is it?)- and not sure if it's solid. I saw it in a shop today, sounded lovely - but when i googled it, there was very little description and no reviews.

I fancied it - the sound was gorgeous!- but didn't want to part with £199 without knowing more about it and reading a review. Here's a link I found:
http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/new-gear/read/ukuleles-new-range-from-freshman/016603

Any ideas/thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

Never heard of them, but I don't know that I'd want an "FU2"....

Wouldn't want one of those too, lol...............................

My wife has a Freshman Guitar and if thier Ukes are as good as her guitar you won't be going far wrong. As for the wood, it's 'Koa' and for that price I doubt if it's a solid instrument. Koa is grown in Hawaii and some Asian countrys and is the wood of choice for many builders of top end Ukes. As you put the price in pounds I'm guessing your in the UK, if so check out the Southern Ukulele Store, they have an extensive range in your price bracket, hope this helps.

My wife has a Freshman Guitar and if thier Ukes are as good as her guitar you won't be going far wrong. As for the wood, it's 'Koa' and for that price I doubt if it's a solid instrument. Koa is grown in Hawaii and some Asian countrys and is the wood of choice for many builders of top end Ukes.

Does that mean that solid-top concert ukes cost over £200 ? Sigh...

Yes, from what I gather, Freshman makes good guitars but have just recently ventured into making ukuleles.

The shop was insistent that the wood was called 'dao' (as an example, see this website which describes it: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/ukuleles_detail.asp?stock=12071011325058 )

The sound was lovely! Only shame about the model name :|

As you put the price in pounds I'm guessing your in the UK, if so check out the Southern Ukulele Store, they have an extensive range in your price bracket, hope this helps.

Yes, I am in the UK (north Somerset) - and I have seen the Southern Ukulele Store website and they have a good, wide range of ukes! Just wish it wasn't 2-3 hours away from me! I am way too cautious to buy a ukulele online.

Thanks UkuEroll!

Yes your right it is dao, not a wood I've heard about but maybe someone here can give you help with that.
If you were happy with the sound the build quality and it's playability, what's in a name?

Top Bottom