Learning to Strum (the actual motion)

Thefalkon

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just picked myself up a ukulele on Saturday and I'm having a bit of fun messing around with it. Just starting off with it, my issue is strumming. I tried following the video on here about strumming, but it seems like on some strums a catch a string with my finger and it creates an awkward sounding strum.

Are there any other techniques I can use?

Ah falkon, welcome to the UU and our humble forums... Take real slow strums and when you get the hang of it and feel comfortable increase speed or tempo..concentate on your strumming hand and practice your strum in an easy chord like C 0003 concentrate on hitting or attacking the strings just right...good luck and happy strummings..

Last edited:
:agree::agree:

I don't know if there is any one best way to strum. I use the side of my thumb on both down and up strums and it hasn't caught on any strings. But the sound is slightly different from when the string is struck by a fingernail.

Down with finger nail, up with the finger pad (meat part). If it sounds bad, you may be attacking the strings too harshly, lighten up a bit and see how it sounds. Keep trying, repetition is the best teacher.....................BO..............

Welcome to UU, falkon. :)

If you are catching the strings, you are either strumming too hard or have a nail problem. Usually it's strumming too hard for a newbie. :) So try a lighter touch.

If your nails are rough, jagged or not well shaped, they can catch as well. I like a bit of nail for fingerpicking, but it's important to keep them trimmed and smooth.

When I first learned....I had that problem controling my finger getting caught....I'd go slow and hit the side of the fretboard and then drag my finger across the strings on the fretboard...try it...

When I first started, I found that strumming was easiest for me when I strummed with the sides of my index finger, as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYzf6cFSD9E

At first, it worked best for me if I used just the meat of the index finger--no nail contact with the string at all. Now I am comfortable using other fingers and fingernails.

Some great advice above!

Don't fret (no pun intended) too much as you will soon adapt to strumming cleanly without catching the strings. Had the same issue when I first started. Not sure if this is a good way of putting it and I could be wrong (gurus correct me if I am) but you want to make sure your fingers/thumb are hitting the strings at an acute angle and too square to the strings and you want your fingers slightly relaxed so that they sort of glide over the strings. If you keep too much tension on your fingers, you'll end up snagging them.

I'm no teacher so what works for me may not be the same for anyone else... momma always said I was different. lol

Have to master strumming techniques slowly....as slow as you need to strum to do it correctly. Speed comes later...with practice. I still practice strums in front of the TV, muting all the strings so I don't bother others. Works for me...did the same with fingerpicking techniques....again, as slowly as you need to go to do it perfectly.

Good luck

Have to master strumming techniques slowly....as slow as you need to strum to do it correctly. Speed comes later...with practice. I still practice strums in front of the TV, muting all the strings so I don't bother others. Works for me...did the same with fingerpicking techniques....again, as slowly as you need to go to do it perfectly.

Good luck

So true, I used to put a piece of folded up kitchentowel under my strings on the ukulele body, so i could practice both strumming, and strumminbg with chords silently, and then i bought an electric ukulele with head phones so i didnt have to!

but yea, my biggest regret with the ukulele is n ot taking the time to begin with to really lay the groundwork for the strumming. Its hard to form a good habbit, but hell its easy to fall into bad ones!

My strumming motion is kind of an up down circle. When I am doing the downstroke my index finger points towards the bridge, and on the upstroke it points towards the nut or headstock. All of the up down motion for the strum comes from the wrist. I find this keeps it from getting caught on the strings and makes a nice smooth strum.

Top Bottom