strap button question...

artmail4jrd

Reaction score
I am a guitar player who has been won over by the uke. I am more comfortable playing with a strap on and do not find the uke leash fitting. Everything I find online refers to the installation of strap buttons as difficult around the neck...this isn't a problem but my uke doesn't have inner support on the tail end. Can I safely install a strap button here or will it just rip out? It is just the laminated rosewood sides...no inner wood block binder that my acoustic has at its joint.

I have one of my ukes with the strap tied under the strings at the headstock and another one with a button on the bottom of the heel. A person would think there is enough support there for a button. I'm not a fan of those uke leashes either.

Not recommended without some inner support. Must be a soprano? Most larger ukes have inside support bracing. Eventually you will learn how to hold it without a strap.

Are you sure there isn't any form of block at the tail end ?

Hey, I'm a guitar player now playing uke too. I think if you give it some time you will find its easy to hold it without a strap. I tried the sound hole hook and it deadend the sound. If there is no end block, you are running a screw into something that is about the thickness of the cardboard on the back of a pad of paper. I can assure you there will be a larger, maybe much larger hole in the near future. Try it without the strap a while and I think you'll agree its not as big a deal as you think it is.

If there's a joint seam at the butt there should be a block behind it. There are ways of installing and gluing in a more substantial heel block but they are a bit tricky and more involved. I don't think you'll need to go that route.

On at least four ukes I own (Pono Koaloha, etc), I just drill right into the heel and install a button. Never had an issue. And I'm all thumbs.

Are you sure there isn't any form of block at the tail end ?

I took a peek in the soundhole with a small LED flashlight and did not see anything, it looks like smooth wood all the way around. There is no seam on the tail. It is an older (2005 or earlier) Oscar Schmidt OU3 concert size uke. I fist had my suspicion that there was no end block as I thumped the outer sides and there is no tell-tell discernible veriation of sound. I am able to hold it without a strap it just isn't very comfortable for more than 20-30 minutes. I hope this helps illuminate the situation. Is it possible to drill a hole and replace the screw with a similar nut/bolt/washer combo to add inner support? Just brainstorming!

I think a repair shop should be able to put in a block of wood, and the strap button. I would be concerned just drilling a hole without something more substantial to support it. You wouldn't want to cause a stress fracture (crack) in your nice uke.

–Lori

I just remembered and idea I ran across for this purpose. Go to Home Depot or the like and get an adhesive hook. You can get them pretty small. The adhesive will stick to the tail of the uke, not damage the finish and if you need to you can remove it easily. No drilling, no end block needed. You can get them in chrome, white, silver and brown I believe.

I just remembered and idea I ran across for this purpose. Go to Home Depot or the like and get an adhesive hook. You can get them pretty small. The adhesive will stick to the tail of the uke, not damage the finish and if you need to you can remove it easily. No drilling, no end block needed. You can get them in chrome, white, silver and brown I believe.

Now that's a good idea. They're made by 3M, and they stick like heck, and if you remove it, bingo, a little Goo Gone and you're golden. Good notion, k.

Top Bottom