PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Uke on Kickstarter

CoLmes
08-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Saw this on kickstarter. Thought I would post it up here and see what people think of it. Sounds alright to me. The guy is pretty low on his pledge right now, hopefully he gets it.

http://kck.st/NRpmt4

Freeda
08-20-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm in, but mostly because it will be made here in the midwest. ;)

Ron
08-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Not a new idea but nice design, I reckon.

katysax
08-21-2012, 05:35 AM
I signed up - looks like a nice design. Pledge is awfully low though so far.

GKK
08-21-2012, 07:27 AM
I like the look, really Stealthy looking!

It sounds really nice too! Not plinky like a lot of plastic ukes.

ukeeku
08-21-2012, 07:54 AM
My issue is the flat neck design. How comfortable will that be to play is what I wonder. I might pull the trigger and hope it works out. If anything it will be a novelty. I love the base tuners by the way. very cool design.

ukemunga
08-21-2012, 02:17 PM
My issue is the flat neck design...

I saw that too and thought it was odd. Figure it would be big time uncomfortable to play, I don't get it.

But never having the opportunity to play anything like it... maybe they're on to something. But I still don't get it.

MutinousDoug
08-21-2012, 02:32 PM
My issue is the flat neck design. How comfortable will that be to play is what I wonder.

I visited the website and asked Scott about the neck. He said the testers he showed it to had liked it.
I really like the tone I heard from the website and think it's a neat idea but I'll have to feel the square neck before I'll buy in. (Of course, I just bought a chocolate Dolphin so I'm in on the bottom rung along with my Harmony/Kay 1954 Airline and Lanikai LU-21c) so, there's that...
Doug

nscafe
08-21-2012, 02:46 PM
I just backed it too. I make backer #20. He just started it yesterday, so there's almost a full month to go still. We'll see!

Doc_J
08-21-2012, 04:06 PM
I like the look, really Stealthy looking!

It sounds really nice too! Not plinky like a lot of plastic ukes.

Yes, it does sound surprisingly good in the video. It makes me wonder why the Flea/Fluke never did an all plastic uke (or did they ever do that?). Seems that would be an easier path for a new all plastic uke, than to design one from scratch. I'll probably back the project. It sounds like an interesting project. Although, I'm not sure it will it get enough funding.

webby
08-21-2012, 04:45 PM
why does he need 125 grand ? seems like a hell of a lot to me.

Doc_J
08-21-2012, 04:58 PM
why does he need 125 grand ? seems like a hell of a lot to me.

Molds and other tooling aren't cheap. I used to have molds made for fairly simple small parts (thumb nail sized) I remember them costing several thousand dollars back in the 1990's. So he's got 6 larger parts to mold and he's budgeting $65,000 for molds/tooling. Plus, you have to account for mistakes and rework. Then he actually will produce at least a 1000 or more of these. So, the costs seem reasonable.

ukeeku
08-21-2012, 05:19 PM
I am now a supporter and also did a little write up. Thanks Colin for the link.
http://ukeeku.com/2012/08/22/plastic-ukulele-project-on-kickstarter/
Help spread the word people

Pondoro
08-21-2012, 10:20 PM
I am not sure if I am in because I've got too many ukes around now. But I work in manufacturing and his tooling costs are very reasonable.

webby
08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
or you could buy a black dolphin for 40 bucks and drill out the dots !

Doc_J
08-22-2012, 04:45 AM
I am not sure if I am in because I've got too many ukes around now. But I work in manufacturing and his tooling costs are very reasonable.

Yes, the schedule seems amazingly fast for producing molds, tweaking them, and producing good parts.
But, I'm in.

ukeeku
08-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Yes, the schedule seems amazingly fast for producing molds, tweaking them, and producing good parts.
But, I'm in.

thanks for the link. I figured I could reach people outside of the UU community (Yes there are people who play uke and have no idea what UU is)
Honestly, I would be surprised to have it by x-mas. For me that is fine. I really hope after he makes his first 1000 he can make it cheaper than the $150. If he can get it to $75, that would be amazing (Yes we paid $125, that is the price you pay for being first to get it, like iPhone people)

coolkayaker1
08-22-2012, 05:58 AM
I'd rather pay $150 for a sure thing than $125 for a maybe.

If it's a successful idea, he can get funding from many traditional sources (Wall Street, venture capital funding, large and small local banks, credit union, private large-scale investors, mom and dad) and will do well.

A $25 savings over retail on an instrument that may never happen is quite a risk. Only each investor can determine the value of the $125 in their life (some, pocket change--some, it's next week's gasoline fund).

Looking forward to this gentleman showing everyone some ukuleles.

Jimmy Ukulele
08-22-2012, 06:40 AM
I'd rather pay $150 for a sure thing than $125 for a maybe.

If it's a successful idea, he can get funding from many traditional sources (Wall Street, venture capital funding, large and small local banks, credit union, private large-scale investors, mom and dad) and will do well.

A $25 savings over retail on an instrument that may never happen is quite a risk. Only each investor can determine the value of the $125 in their life (some, pocket change--some, it's next week's gasoline fund).

Looking forward to this gentleman showing everyone some ukuleles.

Not sure if you know how kickstarter works. In case you don't, if the pledged goal is not reached within the timelimit, everyone who backed the project will get their money back and you will have lost nothing. But maybe you meant the risk that you have to trust him that he really makes instruments with the money and doesn't go on a trip around the world with it? ;)

coolkayaker1
08-22-2012, 07:18 AM
But maybe you meant the risk that you have to trust him that he really makes instruments with the money and doesn't go on a trip around the world with it? ;) yep.... true

nscafe
08-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Not sure if you know how kickstarter works. In case you don't, if the pledged goal is not reached within the timelimit, everyone who backed the project will get their money back and you will have lost nothing. But maybe you meant the risk that you have to trust him that he really makes instruments with the money and doesn't go on a trip around the world with it? ;)

Just to clarify this a bit further, it's not that you get money back if the project doesn't meet its funding goal, it's that you simply don't pay anything unless and until the project meets its funding goal.

It's true that you're still taking a risk that the person who started the project will fulfill their stated obligations...

katysax
08-22-2012, 07:42 AM
I backed it for the fun of it - not because I need another uke. The guy doing this is being creative - doing something fun and interesting and maybe something that can make a few jobs for people. I like the idea of supporting the venture - if I get a new uke and its good - well that's great.

fernandogardinali
08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
The uke looks cool, but like that japanese plastic uke, this is overpriced.

Also, I don't fall for that "USA Made" crap.

Doc_J
08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
The uke looks cool, but like that japanese plastic uke, this is overpriced.

Also, I don't fall for that "USA Made" crap.

Good sounding plastic ukes from Japan cost $145.
http://ukuleleacademy.bigcartel.com/product/all-plastic-paradise-peace-and-ukulelia-soprano-ukuleles
A flea is mostly polycarbonate and Retails at $179.
https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=6&curPage=3&sortField=sort+desc

So is $125 out of line? No.
(Being made is the USA is a plus for most of us Americans. )

I applaud Scott Seelye's effort and wish him success.

scottseelye
08-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks to all of the people that have backed this project, and the people that have asked questions on this message board.

I thought I should begin addressing some of the questions and comments.

Why is the pledging low? I completely understand. I was explaining on some news channels last night that Kickstarter not my typical route for producing a product. I much prefer to start small and build the company over time. I think this is what is actually happening on Kickstarter anyway. They are not a marketing company, so we are still required to find our own backers. We all do hope to be placed on the front page however. The project has begun to gain some momentum though. My wife and I plan to add an update in a couple of weeks stating that it takes roughly 1000 ukuleles sold to fund the project. If the project is funded, we will match the 1000 ukuleles, and donate them to school music programs.

Why the flat neck? First reason, I wondered what it would feel like. It makes the neck thinner overall, and maintains a constant thickness to the fretboard. It feels awkward when ukulele players first use it, but they soon forget and then love it. The flat neck design also compliments and transitions to the headstock better.

Why will it take $125,000 to make? As mentioned on the project site, the tooling alone is $65,000. Surprisingly, the tool for just the body is about half the size of a VW Beetle. I have over 60 products on the market, and know many of the hidden costs when producing products like this.

Will it really be done by Christmas? That is a very important goal, and one of the reasons to make it in the USA. If it were made in Asia, the tooling would take 3 months to produce, and then another 2 weeks in transit and customs. We found a great tool maker and molder here in the USA that makes these tools in 4 weeks. They are aluminum tools, which last only 50,000 parts, but the tools come with a guarantee for the life of the product. This means we would never need to pay for another tool. This is one way USA companies are competing with Asia. We were going to outsource assembly, but did not like the work conditions of assembly companies here in the USA. So we decided to use some of our space to set up assembly. We will also be able to control quality better this way.

Why Black? The Henry Ford comment was right on. Colors are special order resins that also require additional setup. A black ukulele will also stand apart from the cheap ukuleles that are very colorful.

As mentioned above. The momentum is beginning to build. I have been doing a lot of phone and video interviews, and each one of these will help spread the word. Thanks so much for your support.

Scott

rocko
08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Good luck, Scott. I'm intrigued an hope hte project gets funded. I'd love to try it out, but I'd buy one if it sound and feels right.

AndrewKuker
08-22-2012, 09:28 PM
The process and materials that made the prototype are very different from the way he plans to "mass produce" it. What you saw in the video, with him assembling in a wood shop, won't be happening. That was the prototype. He's raising money for a machine that will spit these onto a conveyer belt. Which I am not entirely opposed to, BUT even a Blackbird for $1,000+ completely made with carbon fiber is outperformed by wood. Now they do serve a travel friendly purpose and I am not against them. I'm just sayin', let's be realistic. The "sound sample" is a synced professional recording.

Made in the USA is sort of irrelevant. It's a piece of plastic made by a machine and it won't sound as good as a wood one. Now I can dig a plastic uke, but $150? I would buy one for $50, maybe. The old Dolphin Makala's that hang outside the store get beat by the Hawaii sun for the entire time the sun is out every single day. They still appear unharmed and strum quite nice. Now that's a $50 travel uke! Maybe it was made in China but at least it was made by a human. And along the way no one got rich, but many survive. The worst part is thinking about these ukes donated to schools as he promised in part. They have old violin style friction pegs (hows that gonna work on plastic?.... the sound of a classroom full of them may not do the ukulele any favors)

gnordenstam
08-23-2012, 03:49 AM
I'm in. Good luck with this venture Scott. I understand that I'm paying a premium as an early adopter and backer. I hope that you'll see continued growth that enables a lower retail price over time.

JamieFromOntario
08-23-2012, 04:27 AM
I like the way he says, "the Mass Production side of me always wondered, is it be possible to manufacture a plastic ukulele that performs as well as a wooden one? The answer is yes".
Translation - "When I saw that ukuleles were popular, it made me wonder, could this make me rich? The answer is yes!"

The process and materials that made the prototype are very different from the way he plans to "mass produce" it. What you saw in the video, with him assembling in a wood shop, won't be happening. That was the prototype. He's raising money for a machine that will spit these onto a conveyer belt. Which I am not entirely opposed to, BUT even a Blackbird for $1,000+ completely made with carbon fiber is outperformed by wood. Now they do serve a travel friendly purpose and I am not against them. I'm just sayin', let's be realistic. The "sound sample" is a synced professional recording.

Made in the USA is sort of irrelevant. It's a piece of plastic made by a machine and it won't sound as good as a wood one. Now I can dig a plastic uke, but $150? I would buy one for $50, maybe. The old Dolphin Makala's that hang outside the store get beat by the Hawaii sun for the entire time the sun is out every single day. They still appear unharmed and strum quite nice. Now that's a $50 travel uke! Maybe it was made in China but at least it was made by a human. And along the way no one got rich, but many survive. The worst part is thinking about these ukes donated to schools as he promised in part. They have old violin style friction pegs (hows that gonna work on plastic?.... the sound of a classroom full of them may not do the ukulele any favors)

Let's give Scott the benefit of the doubt and assume that his ukes will be good quality for the price rather than assuming that he's just in it to sell us all cheap crap only to make a buck. Time will tell us more about his product and motives. I wish him well in his endeavour.

Freeda
08-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Made in the USA is sort of irrelevant. It's a piece of plastic made by a machine ...

Injection molding is a huge business here in the Midwest, creating lots of jobs to support lots of families. Work is done in shops that meet OSHA standards for safety, and don't use child labor. It's not irrelevant at all.

blab
08-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Why the flat neck? First reason, I wondered what it would feel like. It makes the neck thinner overall, and maintains a constant thickness to the fretboard. It feels awkward when ukulele players first use it, but they soon forget and then love it. The flat neck design also compliments and transitions to the headstock better.
I think you should put this text on the Kickstarter page. The neck is very different from a regular Ukulele and deserves an explanation.

Good luck with your endeavour.

Good sounding plastic ukes from Japan cost $145.
I have an Amuse and don't like the sound at all. It also has construction issues. There's room for more plastic ukes.

To those who think the Kickstarter uke should be cheaper because it's plastic: this is a low quantity production. Some numbers are available, it's just math.

AndrewKuker
08-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Let's give Scott the benefit of the doubt and assume that his ukes will be good quality for the price rather than assuming that he's just in it to sell us all cheap crap only to make a buck. Time will tell us more about his product and motives. I wish him well in his endeavour.

Ok, I apologize if I was mean. I just don't agree with a few things including the violin style tuning with plastic knobs. These aren't like the Pegheads with a gear on the inside. And you can pay $20 in the kickstarter to get the grover 2b's that cost about $3 a set bought in bulk. They should come with these. The flat neck thing is kind of funny because uke makers spend a lot of time taking it from that point of flat and shaping it to a radius is for better feel. But that's no big deal.

Scott is a business man. And a successful one. He doesn't need luck. He has 60 products on the market and a very successful skate store/online store. He can take the info/video for kickstarter and with a business plan get backing a number of ways for the plastic uke. And he probably will if kickstarter doesnt succeed. And honestly, all I hope is that his ukes don't suck, because the world doesn't need more crap. It just seemed like "the mass production side of him" is just interested in making a buck. But I guess that's how most business people are. But for real, I hope they sound good and inspire music.

rocko
08-23-2012, 09:10 AM
O... But for real, I hope they sound good and inspire music.

I agree. The proof is in the playing the finished product. I find Kickstarter a strange funding model for this as the funders take all the risk and the reward (a small discount) is not much of an incentive to my thinking.

But nobody is forced to fund it. Caveat Emptor!

gitarzan
08-23-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm in. If they sound as good as the video I'm sure I will be pleased. Good Luck, Scott.

beautifulsoup
08-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Gotta admit, I'm tempted.

What strings will be on the uke?

gitarzan
08-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Gotta admit, I'm tempted.

What strings will be on the uke?

Maybe they are injection molded too! :p

beautifulsoup
08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Maybe they are injection molded too! :p

Strings are not a deal breaker for me, but I am curious. :D

scottseelye
08-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the additional comments and questions. I will try to answer them as best as possible.

Grover tuners. Looks like these tuners will be a popular option. The Grover Pegs I am using actually retail from Steward MacDonald for $27.65 for 1 set. There are quantity discounts by going direct, but I imagine you would need to purchase over 1 million sets to get them for $3.

I think both tuner styes have a place. If I were going to use the ukulele at the beach around salt water, or be hiking around with it in a backpack, then I would use the tapered tuners for corrosion resistance and light weight. If I were a professional playing at coffee shops, then I may choose the Grover Tuners.

Strings. The strings used in the video are the standard Martin Ukulele strings. I tested a bunch of strings, but ultimately decided to keep them standard looking for the video. The production version will also have clear monofilament strings, but with a slightly higher density then the Martin.

Can we trust you to donate ukes to schools? We began donating trees for every complete longboard and skateboard sold with our skateboard companies 7 years ago. Since then, we have planted nearly 40,000 trees. Kickstarter has some pretty strict charity rules, so we are beginning to format how the school donation program will work.

The end of the video is the best representation of how the uke sounds in person, and this is a live recording. I will try to find better players then myself to do additional videos.

Also keep in mind the production version will sound better. The prototype was sprayed with .020" of teflon paint by the prototype shop to create that injection molded appearance. This added some extra weight.

Cheers,
Scott

scottseelye
08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
I forgot to mention that I had a wonderful call with the guys behind Ukulele Underground today. They are very inspiring and supportive.

Cheers,
Scott

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Just backed this one. Couldn't resist the idea of plastic ukuleles designed and assembled in right here in Oregon. Too cool. Best of luck, Scott.

AndrewKuker
08-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the additional comments and questions. I will try to answer them as best as possible.

Grover tuners. Looks like these tuners will be a popular option. The Grover Pegs I am using actually retail from Steward MacDonald for $27.65 for 1 set. There are quantity discounts by going direct, but I imagine you would need to purchase over 1 million sets to get them for $3.

I think both tuner styes have a place. If I were going to use the ukulele at the beach around salt water, or be hiking around with it in a backpack, then I would use the tapered tuners for corrosion resistance and light weight. If I were a professional playing at coffee shops, then I may choose the Grover Tuners.

Strings. The strings used in the video are the standard Martin Ukulele strings. I tested a bunch of strings, but ultimately decided to keep them standard looking for the video. The production version will also have clear monofilament strings, but with a slightly higher density then the Martin.

Can we trust you to donate ukes to schools? We began donating trees for every complete longboard and skateboard sold with our skateboard companies 7 years ago. Since then, we have planted nearly 40,000 trees. Kickstarter has some pretty strict charity rules, so we are beginning to format how the school donation program will work.

The end of the video is the best representation of how the uke sounds in person, and this is a live recording. I will try to find better players then myself to do additional videos.

Also keep in mind the production version will sound better. The prototype was sprayed with .020" of teflon paint by the prototype shop to create that injection molded appearance. This added some extra weight.

Cheers,
Scott

Nice response Scott. I was wondering if you were going to address these things and build the confidence. Which you have. Touché good sir. I will be a backer. To sound sample it right next to a Makai and Islander soprano for the same price. So let my challenge fuel your ambition for optimal tone. And please make sure tuners can stay in tune and get smooth movement. For tuning keys look up the DER JUNG company for grover style at a lesser cost. It may be worth it. BTW Stew Mac is only for things not available anywhere else.
I have never heard or even tuned the prototype, of course, but I have recorded a lot and the shot at the end seemed synced. It is just too hard to get that full of a sound from that distance even with great instruments. Perhaps post editors ran it through some killer preamps or plug-ins, but it sounds good anyway and you gotta have something good to work with from the get go.

Oh if it can be done, shape the neck like other ukes. With the flat neck you will lose many automatically, and with it regular you will lose none. No one will say, "I would get it but the neck is not flat."

coolkayaker1
08-23-2012, 06:56 PM
I think Andrew has many excellent points in his three posts on this thread.

Good luck with the expensive plastic uke.

Paul December
08-24-2012, 04:36 AM
An expensive, cheap uke...
...why didn't I think of that?! :eek: :D

ukeeku
08-24-2012, 05:25 AM
I think this is the grand experiment. if this works, and I have faith in Scott that it will, it will pave the way for other projects like this. I have been toying with making cases out of vacuuform plastic. If this works I may kick it into overdrive and get the prototypes done and figure out if it is doable. Being first means you pay more sometimes. For me I know I am buying a plastic uke that should be half the price, but....I want to support this idea and see where it goes. and to do that I put my money in.
I respect people trepidation around this, but keep this in mind. the Takumi ukes retail at $160

pootsie
08-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Scott:

I must admit that I was a tad dubious, but you are overcoming my dubiousity (if that is a word).

Can I make a suggestion on the design? Make a black that is extra thick at the butt to allow a strap button to be screwed in. Most plastic bodies don't have that but some ukers like a strap even on a soprano (e.g., this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?68724-Hints-for-installing-strap-buttons-on-a-Dolphin)). It would add a smidge of material but should not harm the design I think in terms of sound or balance.

Please give that consideration.

I do not have $$ handy to contribute right now, but would quite possibly be a customer in the future. So I can do this! (HT Hoosierhiver for the cool idea) (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?67134-Keep-cool-and-be-cool!)
thanks

Garydavkra
08-24-2012, 05:34 AM
I think this is a great idea. Well to a degree. For those of us that live in a dry climate this works great. I'm also assuming that since it is machined, the tolerances are going to be pretty much standard. So, there shouldn't be a need for a setup, correct?

I would be really tempted except for two things: it's black and it's not a tenor. The black bothers me because, it's solid. There's no variation in the value. In other words, if there were streaks of perhaps a dark grey in the black that might make it look more interesting. Hopefully if this venture is successful, other sizes and colors will be offered.

Good luck and I hope it's successful!

pootsie
08-24-2012, 05:36 AM
I think this is the grand experiment.

Perhaps Scott could let Tim review the prototype?

I respect people trepidation around this, but keep this in mind. the Takumi ukes retail at $160

Did anyone mention that they are also hideous? I dig the black.

ukeeku
08-24-2012, 05:45 AM
Perhaps Scott could let Tim review the prototype?

I am on the top 20 backers, I think. So I should have it pretty quick. I would rather review the real ones anyways. thanks for the plug either way :cheers:

pootsie
08-24-2012, 06:05 AM
I am on the top 20 backers, I think. So I should have it pretty quick. I would rather review the real ones anyways. thanks for the plug either way :cheers:

Looking forward to your uflinchingly honest opinion.

Have you ever played one of the Takumi ukes? I'm curious about them and plastics in general. So many plastics were just TV promotion toys that I think it is hard for a serious player to trust a "real" uke made entirely (soundboard included) of plastic.

Mandarb
08-24-2012, 06:28 AM
I think this is a great idea. Well to a degree. For those of us that live in a dry climate this works great. I'm also assuming that since it is machined, the tolerances are going to be pretty much standard. So, there shouldn't be a need for a setup, correct?

I would be really tempted except for two things: it's black and it's not a tenor. The black bothers me because, it's solid. There's no variation in the value. In other words, if there were streaks of perhaps a dark grey in the black that might make it look more interesting. Hopefully if this venture is successful, other sizes and colors will be offered.

Good luck and I hope it's successful!

I don't mind the black but yeah a tenor model would be cool.

AndrewKuker
08-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Have you ever played one of the Takumi ukes? I'm curious about them and plastics in general. So many plastics were just TV promotion toys that I think it is hard for a serious player to trust a "real" uke made entirely (soundboard included) of plastic.

Mike had bought a number of these for a store, they came with an order of Kiwaya's, much to my surprise. "You didn't!"

I didn't know till they arrived and was bummed. I never wanted plastic ukes in the store. And sure enough, they sound horrible, in my opinion. Like...plastic. Worst sound in the store. My daughter came in the next day and loved them. She has a $70 uke that sounds a million times better. I just don't like the image it portrays. Ukulele being a plastic toy. The entry level guitar market isn't plastic.

I think we sold our last plastic uke yesterday. They weren't as bad as other plastic ukes I've tried. And you can stick it in the sand at the beach. So they aren't that bad. But I couldn't sell them. Mike can. Which is why I approached the money aspect like I did. I don't doubt that they will take time and money to make. But I have a lot of amazing ukes in the store for $150. The market is full of beautiful sounding ukes at this affordable range.

Oh by the way, I think Flukes sound awesome. Amazingly rich in tone. A completely different design made in USA. A roots operation started by people truly passionate about music and the ukulele. The Takumi plastic ukes are the same price range but nowhere even remotely close in sound quality. (there is something cool about them...the cuteness? ) If you have one and make it sound good, that's a testament to your ability and you have my respect. If they had a flat neck and violin style plastic pegs, I bet Mike wouldn't even buy them. But Scott's got nothin' to lose. He's getting the start up money from us. And securing the sale of his first batch. So Scott, if it doesn't make it on kickstarter, are you gonna lay your own money on the line?

coolkayaker1
08-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I'd go with one of Andrew's $150 ukes long before I'd buy a matte plastic uke with square neck and odd tuners. But, That's me.

I couldn't resist...this uker, ukulelezaza, is an excellent player (consider a sub to his utube channel), and here he makes an old 1950s toy uke -- a sopraNINO, no less -- sing like a playful bird!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_bZfV8SC8&feature=plcp

snarf
08-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Another one, ukulelezazza and Paul Moore as Betty's Boys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAsTEBz5vcQ

It's beautiful, but I wasn't as keen on playing one afterwards for one reason or another, but it was a great show and a wonderful festival.

freakpower
08-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Oh if it can be done, shape the neck like other ukes. With the flat neck you will lose many automatically, and with it regular you will lose none. No one will say, "I would get it but the neck is not flat."
As the german ukulele club (www.ukuleleclub.de) is currently "collecting" supporters for the plastic uke, the flat neck is the main criticism. With a standard neck, there would definitely be more supporters.

@Scott: Please consider changing the neck design!

ukeeku
08-29-2012, 01:37 AM
I hope this is not our fate

Fermin
08-30-2012, 03:48 AM
Am I the only one concerned about the durability of plastic frets?

ukeeku
08-30-2012, 04:35 AM
Am I the only one concerned about the durability of plastic frets?
no, but the flukes and fleas last a really long time, as long as you don't use a metal wound string (Low G)
that is why I won't worry

webby
08-30-2012, 04:37 AM
i've come up with this amazing invention, it's a lever type thing that sticks out of the side of a motorcycle engine that allows you to start it by pushing down with your foot, i'll put it on kickstarter as soon as i think of a name for it :)

ukeeku
08-30-2012, 04:45 AM
i've come up with this amazing invention, it's a lever type thing that sticks out of the side of a motorcycle engine that allows you to start it by pushing down with your foot, i'll put it on kickstarter as soon as i think of a name for it :)

Nice one. I think "Motorcyle stick out thingy that starts the bike" or MSOTTSTB

Doc_J
09-11-2012, 04:40 AM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottseelye/the-plastic-ukulele

With over 100k$ to go and only 7 days left, doesn't look like it will be funded. Too bad.
Cool idea anyway.

nscafe
09-11-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm interested to see if he finds a different way of funding it. There was obviously a lot of interest in the product itself, it's just that the $125K was probably not feasible on kickstarter. He seems to be a successful businessman. Maybe he could sell some of his massive car and boat collection to fund it.

glass
09-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Thats a bummer only 7 days left....

AnalogJ
09-11-2012, 08:18 AM
What happens to the money people pledge if you don't end up following through? You have about 1 week to go. If I were to advance you the money to buy a uke, what happens after September 19th if you have not raised the $125,000?

Jeff

ukeeku
09-11-2012, 08:37 AM
What happens to the money people pledge if you don't end up following through? You have about 1 week to go. If I were to advance you the money to buy a uke, what happens after September 19th if you have not raised the $125,000?

Jeff
It fails and no one is charged. So, nothing

Freeda
09-11-2012, 09:03 AM
It fails and no one is charged. So, nothing

Yup. I'm a backer, which means I signed up and gave them my credit card info. If he reaches the goal, then on a preset date, the amount I pledged is charged then. As of right now, no money has changed hands.

AnalogJ
09-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Okay, I'm in. Let's hope this thing goes through. I figure I have been looking for a plastic ukulele I won't have to worry about with regard to the elements. Vintage plastic ukes are fragile and prone to warpage. Fleas and Flukes are nice but are upwards toward $200 (though they have a factory backed warranty -- I don't know what's offered here).

AnalogJ
09-14-2012, 03:19 AM
While it looks unlikely that he'll reach his own stated goal, I wonder if the relatively good number of people pledging for one of the ukuleles will prompt him to either go ahead with it or retry in some way?

Any other potential buyers here?

Doc_J
09-14-2012, 06:59 AM
While it looks unlikely that he'll reach his own stated goal, I wonder if the relatively good number of people pledging for one of the ukuleles will prompt him to either go ahead with it or retry in some way?

Any other potential buyers here?

He'll probably hit the $25K mark, but that's $100K short. Hopefully Scott can secure other funding. He may have to raise the target price.

AnalogJ
09-14-2012, 08:48 AM
He'll probably hit the $25K mark, but that's $100K short. Hopefully Scott can secure other funding. He may have to raise the target price.

What do you mean by "..may have to raise the target price"?

Doc_J
09-14-2012, 12:51 PM
What do you mean by "..may have to raise the target price"?

If he gets money from real investors who want to make some profit, the price may have to go up.

webby
09-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Maybe he could sell some of his massive car and boat collection to fund it.

Yeah Baby !!! well said.

Jimmy Ukulele
09-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Well there seem to be a lot of people asking him to make the neck round instead of flat. I can see a lot of people (including me) not wanting to put down that kind of money for something they don't know how it feels, as it is off the usual norm. I'd understand if he had technical reason to do this, but it seems it is just a design choice one could change.

Doc_J
03-06-2013, 03:33 PM
The kickstarter plastic uke appears to have proceeded even though funding was unsuccessful.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottseelye/the-plastic-ukulele/posts/421758

bnolsen
03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Well there seem to be a lot of people asking him to make the neck round instead of flat. I can see a lot of people (including me) not wanting to put down that kind of money for something they don't know how it feels, as it is off the usual norm. I'd understand if he had technical reason to do this, but it seems it is just a design choice one could change.

I personally prefer a flat fretboard to a rounded one. I don't see mention of price at the moment.

Macmuse
03-06-2013, 05:13 PM
I personally prefer a flat fretboard to a rounded one. I don't see mention of price at the moment.

This isn’t flat vs. radius fretboard. It's a flat neck. No rounded back.

HeWhoTalksLoudSayinNothin
03-06-2013, 11:36 PM
I am curious what the new retail price will be. But still no flat neck as it seems, I will wait for reviews before I make a decision to get it.

UkeKiddinMe
03-07-2013, 01:38 AM
Very happy to hear this proceeded. I just wrote to Scott with an interesting idea.

UncleMoon
03-07-2013, 01:04 PM
I am curious what the new retail price will be. But still no flat neck as it seems, I will wait for reviews before I make a decision to get it.

I checked the facebook page - he's saying "around $100"

OldePhart
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
I wonder if there is such a thing as age-related dyslexia. I read this thread title as "plastic kickstarter on ukulele" and had to see what that was about...imagine my disappointment...

Sigh...I don't remember having these problems twenty years ago...

John

Freeda
03-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Not too thrilled with the new antlered headstock logo. :/

bnolsen
03-07-2013, 01:54 PM
I checked the facebook page - he's saying "around $100"

That's impressive. Straight polycarbonate is awesome stuff. Mountain Ocarina's cheap models are made out of this and they are extremely strong. Sorry about the misunderstanding of the neck. My hands are pretty big, I need a neck made out of a 2x2 to even know the difference between a flat and curved back. I have to also verify there's a post saying "around $100". No solid price yet though.

03-08-2013, 05:29 AM
Well, if its $100 it's $25 cheaper than the backers price and $50 cheaper than the projected retail price back in the kickstarter campaign. Good development in my opinion, if it sounds good this will be really interesting.

UncleMoon
03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
That's impressive. Straight polycarbonate is awesome stuff. Mountain Ocarina's cheap models are made out of this and they are extremely strong. Sorry about the misunderstanding of the neck. My hands are pretty big, I need a neck made out of a 2x2 to even know the difference between a flat and curved back. I have to also verify there's a post saying "around $100". No solid price yet though.

Here ya go - it's kind of buried and tough to find.

coolkayaker1
03-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Trying to better understand Kickstarter.

So, for those that backed it with cash, what has occurred? Since it didn't hit the target amount by the target date, do you automatically get a refund? Did they give you a choice about a refund or to keep your money in with this new project, or are you "automatically onboard" (this gentleman did not change the project too much, but wondering how much one could veer from the initial project and still keep kickstarter's money)? Since they are in production at a lesser price, below that which was to be sold to you for kickstarting this, do you get an even deeper discount on one if they hit production?

ukemunga
03-10-2013, 07:04 AM
Trying to better understand Kickstarter.

So, for those that backed it with cash, what has occurred? Since it didn't hit the target amount by the target date, do you automatically get a refund? Did they give you a choice about a refund or to keep your money in with this new project, or are you "automatically onboard" (this gentleman did not change the project too much, but wondering how much one could veer from the initial project and still keep kickstarter's money)? Since they are in production at a lesser price, below that which was to be sold to you for kickstarting this, do you get an even deeper discount on one if they hit production?

If a Kickstarter project does not reach its goal your card is never charged.

UkeKiddinMe
03-10-2013, 07:51 AM
I think this guy is onto something, and generally, I think this is an untapped approach
with Enormous Potential.

This is not unlike Ovation realizing that their synthetic roundback was a good way to build half of an acoustic guitar.

Something like this is a great way to offer a good instrument that is Extremely consistent piece to piece. Without a setup. At a low price point.

I tried to entice him to think about doing a UBass version of it, but I don't think he understood what a UBass was.
If he did, he'd trip over himself to do it, because there is a Whole Lotta Money there.

UKEonomics
03-10-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm glad this project proceeded even without full funding. great idea!

OldePhart
03-10-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm eager to see the first reports - if they sound decent and have good intonation this would make a great knockabout uke.

Gadzukes!
03-10-2013, 09:35 AM
If Scott can get outdoor stores like REI to carry this, I think he'll have a hit. The uke is neat looking, the logo indicates he know something about branding, the price is right at $100 ($99 would be better!), and the outdoor market is huge. I really see possibilities for this.

bnolsen
03-10-2013, 11:32 AM
the quality beater market is wide open. this is pretty direct competition to flea/fluke (IMHO well needed).

ukulele-melee
03-10-2013, 02:12 PM
I wish it had a rounded neck profile rather than rectangular though... thats a turn-off on the fluke/fleas too.

ukemunga
03-10-2013, 02:39 PM
If you play as I do, with thumb firmly planted on the back of the neck as opposed to cradling it, a flat neck may be more comfortable.

I know I'd like to try one!

ukemunga
03-10-2013, 02:42 PM
the quality beater market is wide open. this is pretty direct competition to flea/fluke (IMHO well needed).

The comparison will be inevitable and frequent. And with the Dolphin. Should be interesting. I think he has a real winner!

Chris Tarman
03-11-2013, 05:47 AM
For $100, I would be willing to give the flat neck a try.

coolkayaker1
03-11-2013, 06:18 AM
There are plenty of well-received vintage plastic ukuleles available already for $100 that retain their value and are playable.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-11-2013, 06:37 AM
I'm so happy that the new (Oregonian!) plastic uke is back on track for production. Woohoo!

I'm guessing (hoping, actually) that the neck's shape is designed for strength and stability. A plastic uke with a slender, rounded neck may also have a bowed, no-way-to-be-tuned-properly neck.

bnolsen
03-11-2013, 08:42 AM
There are plenty of well-received vintage plastic ukuleles available already for $100 that retain their value and are playable.

The quality of plastic is lower and apparently there's a risk to getting a warped neck on a vintage plastic. Any particular reason to discourage a new ukulele manufacturer who is using the highest quality plastic available for mass manufacturing? :cool:

OldePhart
03-11-2013, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't leave any of them in a car here in Texas in the summer - but I've left my polycarbonate shooting glasses on my dashboard in my car here in Texas in the summer with no problems... :)

ukemunga
03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
For $100, I would be willing to give the flat neck a try.

Just have to tell you I love your

Chris Tarman
03-11-2013, 03:00 PM

Yes, and I have a few of them.

Chris Tarman
03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Just have to tell you I love your

My what???

ukemunga
03-11-2013, 03:07 PM
My what???

Your sig!? :D

03-17-2013, 02:56 AM
To anyone who is not following them on facebook, retail price was announced as 100$ and first instruments will be finished in about 6 weeks.

UKEonomics
03-17-2013, 07:44 AM
To anyone who is not following them on facebook, retail price was announced as 100$ and first instruments will be finished in about 6 weeks.

Just saw that on fb yesterday. I'm getting excited for this!

Louis0815
03-17-2013, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't swap my Flea for it, but I can feel my UAS already.....

No more worries about humiditiy - we might as well found a first underwater ukulele orchestra with these ukes http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_biggrin.gif

we tigers
03-17-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm feeling the UAS kicking in as well. But I would like to see and hear some samples. Really curious!

Chris Tarman
03-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Your sig!? :D

Ahh... OK, I get it now!

UkeKiddinMe
03-17-2013, 12:17 PM
No UAS for me without a baritone model.

ukemunga
03-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Ahh... OK, I get it now!

:cheers:

This line's here because you can't just post an emoticon... too short.

UkeKiddinMe
03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
:cheers:

This line's here because you can't just post an emoticon... too short.

Yes, that is frustrating sometimes, isn't it? ;)

beautifulsoup
03-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Just saw that on fb yesterday. I'm getting excited for this!

Hmmm, looks good to me, too. I was just about to post a thread about what uke to get for busking. (We need to stay acoustic where I'm planning on busking; you must get noise variance permits if you're going to have amplified sounds; arghh! This uke would be good and loud, I'm guessing?

UKEonomics
03-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Not sure how loud it will be. I'd love to hear more of a sound sample myself. So far, the only playing of it that I know of is a little snippet at the end of the video on their original kickstarter page here...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottseelye/the-plastic-ukulele

I think that the ukulele playing at the beginning of the video and as the background music during the video might be this ukulele...but not entirely sure.

bnolsen
03-18-2013, 02:34 AM
No UAS for me without a baritone model.

i'd like to see you haul a bari back into the wilderness for a week.

ksiegel
03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Still no contact info for those of us who don't use facebook...

And have no desire to.

ukemunga
03-18-2013, 11:46 AM

http://outdoorukulele.com/

Louis0815
03-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Still no contact info for those of us who don't use facebook...Well, on the homepage http://outdoorukulele.com there is at least a mail address - but not really much more useful information for non-Facebookers.
Hopefully this will change once the ukes are available....

bnolsen
03-18-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure why they would pick facebook. I for one don't use it for anything, now it's only to occasionally check their progress.

OldePhart
03-18-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure why they would pick facebook. I for one don't use it for anything, now it's only to occasionally check their progress.

I've noticed (via my wife, daughter, and many of my friends) that many people on Facebook seem to confuse it with real life and not realize just how many of us simply absolutely refuse to waste our time that way... :)

John

ksiegel
03-18-2013, 01:59 PM
http://outdoorukulele.com/

Well, on the homepage http://outdoorukulele.com there is at least a mail address - but not really much more useful information for non-Facebookers.
Hopefully this will change once the ukes are available....

Thank you both. The email I got said nothing about a straight web site, just to go to Facebook.

I will go check out the info. I was a backer on Kickstart, and I'm still interested.

-Kurt

missameeames
03-18-2013, 02:00 PM

And have no desire to.

Most company facebook pages are public, so you don't need to join or be a member of facebook to see their pages and updates. Just go to http://www.facebook.com/OutdoorUkulele and you can still see the updates.

Xcalith
03-18-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm a bit concerned with their reluctancy to provide any sound clips. They know that it IS a music instrument and people have been constantly bugging them about it but they refuse to reply.

ukemunga
03-18-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm sure there will be sound clips when the final production model is available. The prototype is not made the same way.

bnolsen
03-18-2013, 02:47 PM
They have the sample from the kickstarter video but they say that ukulele was machined from solid polycarbonate and that the injection molded model will have a different sound. That's the fun of this manufacturing process. You have to make the molds and manufacture a few before knowing how well they will or won't perform.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
03-25-2013, 08:37 AM
looks very interesting to me.

I'm very late on this thread.

I hope it's still a 'go'.

keep uke'in' everybody,

bnolsen
03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
maybe have to beg the wife on this one or just wait and see.

03-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Latest info from the facebook page:

Outdoor Ukulele Update: Available in 3 weeks. Retail price $100. New website in 1 week with pre-ordering.

angrygnome
04-03-2013, 02:36 AM
New site is up and you can pre-order. I'm order #10! I hope they're numbered. ;D

kvehe
04-03-2013, 03:12 AM
I'm #15! Looking forward to it!

ukemunga
04-03-2013, 03:29 AM
Right behind you Kathryn, #16.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-03-2013, 03:50 AM
Sound clip coming soon after order #18 finds its way from Bend to Portland. Whee, new plastic uke!!!!

ukeeku
04-03-2013, 03:56 AM
its here
http://outdoorukulele.com

bnolsen
04-03-2013, 04:33 AM
monofilament strings? The old old fishing line stuff. Too bad no fluorocarbons.
Ha! I got #20!

Skinny Money McGee
04-03-2013, 04:52 AM
I may order one if they start using paypal as a payment vehicle. Not posting my credit card info to an unknown website. The vendor never see's your credit card info when using paypal. You never know how your cc info is collected or where and how it is stored on a private site. Potential easy pickins for a hacker.

ukemunga
04-03-2013, 04:59 AM
I may order one if they start using paypal as a payment vehicle. Not posting my credit card info to an unknown website. The vendor never see's your credit card info when using paypal. You never know how your cc info is collected or where and how it is stored on a private site. Potential easy pickins for a hacker.

Scott is the owner of the 2 largest skateboard retail sites on the net. I think your info is safe.

angrygnome
04-03-2013, 05:00 AM

I thought about that but I have a card I use for nothing but online ordering, so the worst that happens is I just cancel the card. Credit card companies are usually pretty good about getting rid of fraudulent charges. The site is HTTPS encrypted with a signed certifixate, so at least the data transfer is secure.

Skinny Money McGee
04-03-2013, 05:04 AM
Scott is the owner of the 2 largest skateboard retail sites on the net. I think your info is safe.

That may be, but paypal is much much safer. I'm tired of my credit card being canceled because some ass hacked some site somewhere and stole my cc info. Hasn't happened since I stopped using sites that didn't use paypal or amazon as payment options.

we tigers
04-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Can't order one. Shipping to the Netherlands is not an option... But Germany and the UK is. Weird!

ukeeku
04-03-2013, 06:00 AM
I am #19. Not going to even ask for a review one. Figured I would just buy it this time.
Lets all hope we will have them for UWC!!

Bob-in-Alberta
04-03-2013, 06:10 AM
I'm #28. My previous two ukuleles were both purchased while on vacation in Hawaii and it was getting kind of expensive in regards to going to the store and back. You know, flight, hotel room, rental car and dinner at House Without A Key and all that. This should be a cheaper fix for my UAS. Only problem is that we've already booked our flight to Oahu for October. Do I take this one or go see Mike at HMS again?

bnolsen
04-03-2013, 06:18 AM
I'm #28. My previous two ukuleles were both purchased while on vacation in Hawaii and it was getting kind of expensive in regards to going to the store and back. You know, flight, hotel room, rental car and dinner at House Without A Key and all that. This should be a cheaper fix for my UAS. Only problem is that we've already booked our flight to Oahu for October. Do I take this one or go see Mike at HMS again?

Go see mike again :p. Maybe you can show him the outdoor ukulele if you like :p

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Yeah, I got in line at #30!

I've been coveting a carbon fiber uke for about a year or so. At SUPA, a couple of our members bought Blackbird Tenors and have been bringing them to our monthly song circles. It's been great, but I can't afford those prices.
So when Outdoor Ukuleles began advertising their polycarbonate ukes, it was just what I was looking for.

I had been looking at Karadoo's carbon fiber ukes, but it was still much for my budget. At $100, the Outdoor Uke is perfect.

Looking forward to receiving it and taking it through its motions :)

We'll need a new thread once we start receiving our ukes:)

keep uke'in',

gitarzan
04-03-2013, 07:06 AM
I just ordered one. No idea where I am on the list anymore. Looking forward. Play this on the boat and serenade the fishes.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-03-2013, 07:09 AM
hey Gitarsan,

they'll send you an email with your #:)

OldePhart
04-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Ok, I have to confess that I had the form filled out and the mouse hovering over the button when I came to my senses and realized that I don't go canoeing or even backpacking any more...I don't need it! LOL

Of course...come to think of it I don't need any of the others, either.

Heh, heh. I probably will buy one at some point but I'm going to wait for the reviews to come in first - especially since I already have a "beater" uke (Kiwaya thin laminate longneck soprano) that I bought to take to places like UWC and I end up leaving it home and taking the KoAloha and Mainland ukes, anyway.

I am standing by with bated breath waiting for reviews, though...

John

PereBourik
04-03-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm watching too. Gonna want a uke "for the road" someday soon. It's this or a Flea.

peaceweaver3
12-10-2013, 03:50 PM
No one will say, "I would get it but the neck is not flat."

Then make me the first. I much prefer flat necks to the standard. I can play both, just prefer flat.