PDA

View Full Version : Routed the Binding to channel too deep

dofthesea
08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Any ideas on how to fix this with taking the back off?

Rick Turner
08-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Stacked up purfling.

Sacrifice uke to Pele.

Timbuck
08-21-2012, 02:26 AM
I'd burn it... and make another one .... and save the neck.

ksgjlg
08-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Well these guys know/have forgotten more than I know about it but I personally think learning to fix a screw up is almost as important as the construction. I would put a wide binding or as Rick suggested, a stacked purfling. It may be that your effort will still go in the trash but see what you can do to make lemonade. I had a bad router experience on the front of my uke. I used that opportunity to do an inlay with some copper I had laying around. Everyone comments on the neat little inlay I put on the front of my ukulele, little do they know...

Timbuck
08-21-2012, 02:55 AM
From what I see in the picture it will need the linings replacing..so a wider binding won't work....so to fix it i'd remove the back fit new linings ..replace the back and re-rout to the correct depth.

thistle3585
08-21-2012, 03:27 AM
Why not cut through the blocks and reglue the lining to the sides? You'd be losing a bit of the body depth.

David Newton
08-21-2012, 03:33 AM
If you use wood binding, in this case I think at least two-part is reasonable, you will restore the structure to full strength.

If you burn it, please invite us to the ceremony.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
08-21-2012, 03:36 AM
Just take the back off. New linings. be careful in repositioning the back- purfling on back. Done. Or just buy a new piece of mahogany for the back.
I'd raise the linings above the sides as much as you can to regain some lost depth.

maclay
08-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Just take the back off. New linings. be careful in repositioning the back- purfling on back. Done. Or just buy a new piece of mahogany for the back.
I'd raise the linings above the sides as much as you can to regain some lost depth.

I agree with Beau and Timbuck here, that lining is busted. If you are going to fix it......fix it correctly.

oudin
08-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Burning CITES listed woods is a great idea. You should dump pcbs into the water supply while your at it.

You closed that gap the first time with kerfed linings. The intrument will not suffer if you close it again with some carefully placed spruce or basswood. Easy fix and a lesson learned.

Michael Smith
08-21-2012, 11:50 AM
I agree with the make the body shallower crowd.

Liam Ryan
08-21-2012, 09:11 PM
How big are the bindings you use? I guess it's a personal thing but I reckon 5x1.5mm looks right, not including any purfs.

olgoat52
08-22-2012, 08:30 AM
So what percentage of the lining is safe to expose without losing structural integrity? Seems that some portion of it is exposed for a stacked binding. Never thought about it before seeing this post.

Thanks

dofthesea
08-22-2012, 08:44 AM
I ended up taking off the back and replacing the tentelones with taller ones. Gluing the back on later today. Now I'll probably have to add purfling to this nightmare. I'll take some pics of the process.