Cases for my ukes?

Livetosculpt

Reaction score
Hi all. Can anyone give me a lead on cases/gigbags that I can purchase wholesale for the ukes I'm building? Gigbags may be the choice because of the un traditional shape of my instruments. Thanks.

Attachments

• John#1.jpg
    John#1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 87
I'd have to take some measurements, but they are too pricey to include with a uke. Rick Turner has a nice gig bag that he uses for his compass rose that fits nicely, but I don't know if it's appropriate to ask an established builder to sell me bags at wholesale for my hobby (although it is an extension of my sculpture business, which I have always made my living at) when he's doing it for a living.

Those are really good prices! 100 piece minimum order could be split up amongst people like me that are only building a few instruments a year.

I use Access Stage 1 and Stage 3 bags. That is the standard on any instrument I sell. I refuse to ship anything without a case. These are what I call a "rigid" soft case. They use a thicker foam material and are light like a typical gig bag but offer more protection than a chipboard case. A friend of mine uses the mandolin bag for his tenor ukes. A concert fits perfectly in their uke bag and they have spacer insert to make up the difference if you have a soprano. I don't know if they'll sell wholesale, or even retail, to you but I do know they like to sell them by the case. I believe there are six in case.

Almost looks like you should use an F style mandolin case.

Have you used anyone from here Timbuck?- i found a guy who had Aquila string sets for $2 but didn't go through with it.
I bought 15 soprano ukulele hard cases from a Guy on Alibaba about 3 years ago it worked out at about £8 each (good quality too) ....My family and I have purchased other things in the past from China/Taiwan....like 500 Swivel Plasma TV brackets...300 sets of Aquilas...200 Plastic project boxes...500 X 6mm jack sockets..And other Items I can't remember ..only problems were the import taxes if they got spotted by the imports police but you just unload the extra cost on to buyers.
Other than that it's easy...Never got stung once.

Hi all. Can anyone give me a lead on cases/gigbags that I can purchase wholesale for the ukes I'm building? Gigbags may be the choice because of the un traditional shape of my instruments. Thanks.
Remember what "Chuck" repeatably quotes in threads .."if you design a new type of instrument make sure that there is a case to fit it";)

Remember what "Chuck" repeatably quotes in threads .."if you design a new type of instrument make sure that there is a case to fit it";)

Someone needs to 'splain that to Lanikai with their 8 strings... *grin*
I despise my foam case with a white hot passion.

Last edited:

I know that makes good sense, but I'd rather work without limitations and struggle with the fallout later. Things usually work out, I have more fun, and have great conversations with people like you!

I had inquiries about the Access cases after we discussed them here, so I decided to post some photos so that people could see what we were discussing. First, the Access Stage 1 and Stage three cases are standard on every instrument I ship without a hardshell case. The reason I call this a case is because there is a rigid piece of plastic surrounded by lightweight foam material which makes it stronger and more protective than a typical "gig bag". I think its the best compromise between a hard case and a gig bag. The dimensions for the Stage 1 and Stage 3 cases are fairly identical. They may be off by about 1/2".

The first picture is of the Stage 3 mandolin case. The bottom instrument is a tenor and the top is a concert. There is about 1.5" to 2" in space all the way around the concert. The second photo is of the Stage 1 uke case. The bottom is a concert and the top is a soprano. There is about 2" in space all the way around the soprano. What I like about the uke case is that they include a neck support and some additional matching filler material to go around the instrument. They were offering a variety of filler pieces that you could buy for odd shaped instruments, but I'm not sure if that is still the case or not. Finally, the last picture is of my five string. I included it because someone had a question about a wide instrument with a larger upper bout. This instrument is 10.5" across.

Attachments

• uke case.jpg
    uke case.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 14
  • mandolin case.jpg
    mandolin case.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 000_0577.jpg
    000_0577.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 15
I have a Max Case which is one of those cordura nylon, solid foam zip cases, lined with velvet. I can't say enough good about it. The pockets are big enough to hold music, there are additional pockets for tuners and strings, and inside, there are velcro straps to secure the uke even more firmly. It's light but strong and I am totally happy with it.

Top Bottom