Which Low G single?

UK Paulie

Reaction score
I recently changed the strings out on my concert from aquilas to martin flouro's. I'm not 100% whether I like the martins but wanna give them a chance to settle and warm up a bit. Thing is, an arrangement I'm working on calls for a low g so I want to get a single. Which would you guys recommend? Candidates are an aquila red, which just came off it (was dead) or a freemont..Anyone know whether one of these will sound ok with martins? Whether freemonts low g is wound or not? Have any other recommendations? Cheers

I replaced my snapped Aquila red low g with the new squeakless wound "Soloist" low g, which can be obtained on eBay as a single string. Left the other three Aqulia unwound strings on the Kamaka tenor as they were. At first it didn't match, too loud like a lot of wound strings, but after a couple of days it settled right in with the other strings and has mellowed and sounds fine. This is the only wound string I've ever liked. Until I glanced at this thread I'd forgotten it was wound. It really doesn't squeak! I bought it because I really like the Fremont Blackline strings on my Kanilea. Plucks better than the Aquila red, which had a bit of a rubber band quality. Probably won't snap, either.

I replaced my snapped Aquila red low g with the new squeakless wound "Soloist" low g, which can be obtained on eBay as a single string. Left the other three Aqulia unwound strings on the Kamaka tenor as they were. At first it didn't match, too loud like a lot of wound strings, but after a couple of days it settled right in with the other strings and has mellowed and sounds fine. This is the only wound string I've ever liked. Until I glanced at this thread I'd forgotten it was wound. It really doesn't squeak! I bought it because I really like the Fremont Blackline strings on my Kanilea. Plucks better than the Aquila red, which had a bit of a rubber band quality. Probably won't snap, either.

Is 'Soloist' the brand name? I dont know whether its because I'm in the UK and they're not out yet here but when I put that into the search, nothing comes up...may have to try the freemont. I know what you mean about the red aquila, for me it was still better than the sqeaky, droning 'overpowering everything else' low g strings of days of old...

I'd go with a Worth clear, it will match your Martins.
You might also give Ken Middleton's new string a whirl. (He is also in the UK).

The string is a Fremont from the same company that makes the unwound low g recommended by Ukulele Republic. "Soloist" is the designation of the type of string, like their Blackline type. It's a new model, so it might well have not made it to the UK. You could check with Mr. Middleton of Living Water and see if he now sells a single low g. Those strings are unwound and a low g set is now available if I'm not mistaken.

I just re-read my post and I see that it was not clear that the Soloist string is a Fremont. Sorry and good luck. The unwound Fremont is nice, too. I have that set on the Kanilea.

Top Bottom