PDA

View Full Version : Since owning a ukulele how many clip on tuners

Uke Republic
08-21-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm always clipping a digital tuner on my belt, case, leaving them in the car, parrot crunched one, etc. I must have gone through a gazillion! How many clip on tuners do you think you've gone through during your ukulele ownership?
Hey just found one under the desk!;)

mailman
08-21-2012, 01:52 PM
I've bought four, and still have them all! No two the same, either....

Hippie Dribble
08-21-2012, 01:54 PM
hey Mike...I can tell you exactly. Bought my first one a couple of years back. snapped. Was gifted a second one by members of a uke group I ran. shipped of accidentally in a case when I sold a uke. Bought another. repeat step 2. :o Finally just got round to buying two blue snark ones a month ago which are going great. Then just a couple of weeks back I ordered 4 cool orange ones from some dude on ebay in Asia somewhere. They are excellent and only $6 each...so now I have one in each case of my uke collection. whew! O happy day... So my answer is 9...shucks :o I agree , they are elusive little buggahs and hard to hang on to :)

addicted2myuke
08-21-2012, 01:59 PM
I have 2 only because I bought one for my sister thinking that she would get the bug like I did. She didn't. I leave mine clipped on all my ukes heads permanently after tuming. That way I always know where it is. I had the same problem of misplacing them, but then I saw the light. Leave it on your uke. That's the solution.

Markr1
08-21-2012, 02:10 PM
I've bought 4 snark tuners and one Lanakai which I don't use because I think the snarks are so much better. I gave 1 of the snarks to each of my 3 kids that I bought ukes for this past Christmas so I actually have 2 in my possession the snark and Lanakai. I am planning on buying a couple of more snarks for myself tho. If I wasnt able to find the snark I do have I would be lost without it.

rpfrogner
08-21-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking 7......or it could be 17. Of all the ones I've had I only use one, and it was the first one I bought. Just can't seem to find one that really suits me. Kind of like blue tooth cell phone ear pieces......

Steedy
08-21-2012, 04:10 PM
I've got a half-dozen or so scattered around the house. :cool:

TCK
08-21-2012, 04:32 PM
At least ten- put tunapitch on the phones and the Ipad and I stopped losing them

erivel
08-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Four and counting...

itsme
08-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Three. Bought an ENO, then bought a second one for a spare because it was one sale. (Still in the box and never used.) Then I bought a red Snark that I leave on the table next to my music stand. I also have a Korg and a Boss (non clip-on). Never lost or misplaced one yet, knock on wood. :)

Mandalyn
08-21-2012, 05:35 PM
2. One for my cousin and one for myself. :)

ukeeku
08-21-2012, 05:35 PM
like 10 or so. I am either giving them to new players or just plain losing them. 2 have been washed so far. I may need help.

Hikingstevo
08-21-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm on my first. I think I've had it for about 5 years. I've replaced the battery twice and it still works great. I bought one for my wive about a year ago and parts of the LED is burnt out. I got a tuning fork a few weeks ago but haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

BIGDB
08-21-2012, 05:54 PM
i have one and its always on my ukulele so i never lost it

Freeda
08-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Oh gosh, I must be getting close to double digits. It's really ridiculous. I lose them all the time.

wickedwahine11
08-21-2012, 06:30 PM
One crappy no name one, and three Snarks. I need to get at least one more Snark though, so thanks for the reminder.

MisterRios
08-21-2012, 07:49 PM
My first one snapped after a couple of months, I glued it, it was hideous, so I gave it away. I got a snark as a replacement. Then another to keep in my case. And I'm getting another one today in the mail.

The thing is, I don't lose them so much as I hate having to get up and find them. I figured, three ukes three tuners, no?

marymac
08-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I have 4 snarks clipped to my desk, plus 1 upstairs and 1 in my uke class bag. On top of that I've probably bought 4-5 non-snarks and gave them all away, plus a couple snarks I bought to go with ukes I gave as presents. How many is that? A dozen or so?

kvehe
08-21-2012, 08:32 PM
I've lost track, but I just ordered five yesterday.

ukuhippo
08-22-2012, 01:09 AM
One, it's in my case.

Pukulele Pete
08-22-2012, 01:28 AM
I've got 2 , and what cool gizmos they are. I'm old so before this I always tuned by ear with a tuning fork.

rreffner
08-22-2012, 01:35 AM
One and I clip it on whatever uke i am playing at the time.

Louis0815
08-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Well, I've got 4 altogether.
One is on permanent loan with the Dolphin, one is for clarinet/sax so it doesn't really count even though it is a clip-on....
The other two are Planet Wave mini headstock tuners (http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/product/ns-mini-headstock-tuner) and live on my concert ukes - no chance to lose them that way.

And if everything fails I still have a tuning app on all my mobile phones :)

Must admit I am thinking about another PW mini for the Soprano though - it's really comfortable once you got used to it.....

stevepetergal
08-22-2012, 01:55 AM
I only have two. Bought a second one only because the battery compartment lid disappeared from the first (original still works with duct tape). I figure I can only use one at a time. Well, I'm lucky if I can find one at a time!

Skitzic
08-22-2012, 02:34 AM
Gah, I couldn't even tell you how many tuners are in the house. There are 3 musicians living in my house...every time I move something I find a tuner.

I think I personally own 4? 5? Somewhere around there. I'm a little afraid to put all the tuners in one spot to count...I'm sure the total number is in the 20s.

mikelz777
08-22-2012, 02:45 AM
I'm still a ukulele newlywed, only 6 months in and I'll soon be the owner of a 2nd clip on tuner. I have a Cherub that came with the ukulele which seems to be working fine but I wanted to check out the Snarks that I've read so much about. (I got a new blue one for < $9 delivered.) It'll be interesting to check out the tuning between the two and the chromatic tuner will be more versatile. I'm not a clip it on, leave it on kind of guy. I tune my uke then put the tuner right back in my case so I never lose track of it. I just hope there's enough room in that little compartment to fit the Snark in there.

Mandarb
08-22-2012, 03:42 AM
I have two - one in the case of whichever uke I might be travelling with and another one in the house. I have some spare batteries for them as well.

SailQwest
08-22-2012, 04:09 AM
I've probably purchased more than 30 clip-on tuners, covering a wide range of brands. I've only lost one.

I've given 6 or 8 to people I play with regularly, and we've included one with each uke we've gifted.

We have one in the case of each of our (nine) ukes, a couple within reach of our recliners, one by the computer, one on my work bench, one in our "strings" bag, etc. (I also have a keychain tuner that I keep in my purse for "emergencies.")

dkcrown
08-22-2012, 04:40 AM
Three. Two Kala's and a Snark. Got one Kala as a throw in from MGM when I bought my KoAloha Pikake concert a couple of years back.

My Snark does not work well. It often doesn't register at all, especially on slotted headstocks. I think that I got a lemon. Anybody else have problems with their Snark?

Skitzic
08-22-2012, 05:32 AM
Three. Two Kala's and a Snark. Got one Kala as a throw in from MGM when I bought my KoAloha Pikake concert a couple of years back.

My Snark does not work well. It often doesn't register at all, especially on slotted headstocks. I think that I got a lemon. Anybody else have problems with their Snark?

I've never had a problem with Snarks. Is it one of the ones with a mic setting? I cursed and cursed one of my tuners, changed the battery, eventually wrote it off as a piece of junk...

...it was set to mic and not clip.

dnewton2
08-22-2012, 05:35 AM
2. the same one, both came with a uke from MGM. One has dead battery though.

Skottoman
08-22-2012, 05:36 AM
I have one. I never use it. It's clipped to my uke rack with dust covering it. I've had it for about 4 years.

I tune by ear 99% of the time, and I usually just tune my ukuleles to themselves.
If I need to get a proper tune to match learning a song or something, I use this online tuner, and tune by ear - http://www.get-tuned.com/online_ukulele_tuner.php

I will say I do audio for a living, so my pitch hearing ability is pretty high.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Manalishi
08-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Bought one when I started uke just over 3 years ago.
Still using it.Mainly use relative tuning after tuning one
string by it though!

Coconut Willie
08-22-2012, 07:27 AM
I had two but gave one to my nephew when he started learning to play. Now I only have the one....but really should get another.

vanflynn
08-22-2012, 07:56 AM
I was doing good until I started having freinds over to play. They seem to get borrowed and the disappear into a parallel dimension. I think I'm easily into double digits. Oh well, that's better that everyone being out of tune!

Hey Mike, do you give bulk discounts?

dkcrown
08-22-2012, 08:01 AM
I've never had a problem with Snarks. Is it one of the ones with a mic setting? I cursed and cursed one of my tuners, changed the battery, eventually wrote it off as a piece of junk...

...it was set to mic and not clip.

No Tammy, it is set to VIB. I have tried it both ways. Sometimes it works, sometimes nothing.

mds725
08-22-2012, 08:11 AM
I have a bunch of ukuleles and would often find myself without a tuner because I'd left the tuner in the case of the last ukulele I'd played. Snarks are so inexpensive that I've since bought several, and I keep one in each case.

ItsMrPitchy
08-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Luckily only 1 but only bought it last Christmas so there is still time yet.

hoosierhiver
08-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Lost count

tigersister
08-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I have had 7. Three Snarks, 1 Fishman FT1, 3 Planet Waves mini.

The Fishman was given to me when my husband got his first Snark. I liked his Snark better, so I picked up my own. I picked up a second Snark to keep with the uke I take to uke meetings because I kept forgetting to pack my tuner before leaving the house. Sometimes I leave the house with a different uke than the one I normally take, and again forget to pack a tuner so I purchased the mini tuners to keep on my top 3 most played ukes. (Yes, I really am this forgetful. :o) I picked up the third Snark for my son, planning to give it to him when he got his guitar. He decided to he wanted the shared Frankensnark I made out of a couple of my husbands broken Snarks, so that third one has become the shared tuner I keep by the instrument wall.

BTW my husband has broken 4 Snarks, so I got him a Tune Tech Orb off of Amazon. They have a similar big brightly colored display as the Snarks, but without any of the added features like the metronome. He can easily read it without the aid of his reading glasses and the neck joining the clip and tuner is bulkier than the Snark, so I think he'll have a harder time breaking it. Maybe. Only time will tell. (I swear that man could break an anvil with a marshmallow.)

missameeames
08-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Zero (the horror! :eek:). I always use the iStrobosoft app or tune it to itself.

uke42
08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
I have 5. Three Planet Wave mini tuners that live permanently on 2 of my tenors and 1 super concert, one Snark that floats amongst the other ukes, and one FZONE FT-800 tuner that eats batteries so I don't use it anymore.

UkuleleSprinter
08-22-2012, 09:59 AM
I only have one, an Intelli IMT-500 which I got for $30-40 from HMS. I keep mine next to my laptop, decreasing the chance of it getting lost.

Prior to the clip-on I always had Korg chromatic tuner.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-22-2012, 10:09 AM
I prefer to tune by ear to clean tones, so I didn't buy a clip-on tuner for a while. Then I played a show with my uke---it was too loud in the bar for me to tune confidently---and discovered how useful a tuner can be.

I've had two so far---a Snark which I first broke, then lost---and a now a Korg. Hoping to not break or lose the Korg for a while. Heh.

Newportlocal
08-22-2012, 10:28 AM
A not sure the name tuner that I bought at island bazaar years ago back when i was taking lessons at seal beach music. It did things like --C,-C,C,C+,C++ wish I knew what brand it was. Probably was sold with a uke. I have started a gradual garage cleaning looking for it. I currently have a tiki gogo tuner I like very much. Thought about getting a Korg ukulele tuner for a second one just due to tuner acquisition syndrome and need another when my wife gets a ukulele,but may just stay with the tiki tuners.

OldePhart
08-22-2012, 12:28 PM
I've purchased I think eight of the little red Snarks but five of them were purchased for grandkids and I've still got two. Crunched one in a case. Also went through cheapy "free" tuners I received with ukes - neither of them lasted long enough for the battery to run down.

I also have a Fishman miniature clip on around here someplace, plus the old first-generation Intellitouch (big honkin' thing) in one of my guitar cases. And, of course, I have the StroboClip in the plastic box with my strings, nut files, etc.

Now...guitar capos...those I can never seem to find - I must have purchased a dozen of them over the years and it took me over an hour to find one last week.

Now...picks let's not even talk about. They seem to evaporate. I buy them buy the bag (10 or 25) and have purchased literally hundreds over the years. I could probably scare up about 20 right now if I was diligent about it...

John

OldePhart
08-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I was doing good until I started having freinds over to play. They seem to get borrowed and the disappear into a parallel dimension. I think I'm easily into double digits. Oh well, that's better that everyone being out of tune!

Hey Mike, do you give bulk discounts?

Well...you could always follow the example of gas stations and chain them to a cinder-block like the bathroom key...

OldePhart
08-22-2012, 12:35 PM
The other two are Planet Wave mini headstock tuners (http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/product/ns-mini-headstock-tuner) and live on my concert ukes - no chance to lose them that way.
Must admit I am thinking about another PW mini for the Soprano though - it's really comfortable once you got used to it.....

I really like the looks of those - how well do they fit on a soprano headstock, though? Is there room between the tuners for them?

OldePhart
08-22-2012, 12:39 PM
At least ten- put tunapitch on the phones and the Ipad and I stopped losing them

Heh, heh. If I was given to losing tuners (which fortunately I'm not, just capos and picks) the last thing I'd do is put a tuning app on my phone or iPad - I'm going on the theory that doing so would ensure that I lost the phone or iPad and those I can't easily replace... :)

John

Lola
08-22-2012, 12:58 PM
One-half? I'm still on my first little red Snark but I broke the casing for the ball joint. It still tunes fine, but the face is never at a good angle for quick fixes. I should probably bite the bullet and pick up a new one.

The little non-clip Korg I had when I first started got stolen out of my car. :/

Tootler
08-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Two red Snarks and a clip on Mic for a Korg Chromatic tuner.

Also free tuner app on my Android phone which I mostly use for setting up my flute when I put it together.

I still do an Aural check after tuning with an electronic tuner. Sometimes needs a little tweak.

franklin.habit
08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
So far: one uke, one tuner. I don't expect this state of affairs to last very long. I'm still newish.

Mine's an IntelliTouch. I like it so much with my cheap Lanikai that I bought one for my father to keep in the case with the Kamaka Concert he never plays.

ukegirl
08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
A dozen at least....maybe we should buy in bulk! PS..had a dead snark that they replaced...great customer service!