gospel clawhammer ukulele, Ain't No Grave

ukuleletim

Reaction score
I played the Austin Friend's of Traditional Music open mic this past Sunday in a room filled with fiddles, banjos and guitars. This was the song that got the best response.

I played a handful of other clawhammer songs too and was approached by most everyone there afterwards saying they'd never heard a ukulele played that way.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here (no pun intended) but I really like raising eyebrows as well as the legitimacy of ukulele as something other than a musical toy.

oh yeah now that's what I'm talkin bout Tim. This is my kinda stuff mate. Instant favorite in Birralee. SUPERB!!!

Well done Tim!!! Great playing and liked the little surprise at the end.
This would be a great one for Ukulele Secrets. *hint hint*

SWEEEEEET! Love how that tune just resonates & drives, and... the unexpected first position chords that usually seem to only be where us rank amateurs hang out. Thank you!

I also note the pinky finger muting - a common guitar technique that I still use as it took me a long time for "chunking" to feel natural.

Again, excellent video. No Grave indeed!

Mahalo

Well gosh.. thank you everyone. I really like playing that song. You can really dig into it.

And that's my new ukulele! It's made by a local (Austin, TX) banjo builder, Lame Horse Instruments. Aside from my harp ukulele it's the nicest quality uke I've had so far. It is a real joy to play. And yes, there is a cowgirl on the back.. I haven't named her yet.

Great song, great clawhammer, great singing...just all around great!

I played the Austin Friend's of Traditional Music open mic this past Sunday in a room filled with fiddles, banjos and guitars. This was the song that got the best response.

I played a handful of other clawhammer songs too and was approached by most everyone there afterwards saying they'd never heard a ukulele played that way.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here (no pun intended) but I really like raising eyebrows as well as the legitimacy of ukulele as something other than a musical toy.

Top Bottom