PDA

View Full Version : gospel clawhammer ukulele, Ain't No Grave

ukuleletim
08-21-2012, 01:54 PM
I played the Austin Friend's of Traditional Music open mic this past Sunday in a room filled with fiddles, banjos and guitars. This was the song that got the best response.

I played a handful of other clawhammer songs too and was approached by most everyone there afterwards saying they'd never heard a ukulele played that way.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here (no pun intended) but I really like raising eyebrows as well as the legitimacy of ukulele as something other than a musical toy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6PNB_DZRWg

Hippie Dribble
08-21-2012, 02:00 PM
oh yeah now that's what I'm talkin bout Tim. This is my kinda stuff mate. Instant favorite in Birralee. SUPERB!!!

Camsuke
08-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Great work Tim, if anyone can give the uke legitimacy it is you mate, ripper tune, top performance. Love that Cowgirl on the back too!

rreffner
08-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Amen brother. Now that was one fine tune. Fine indeed. Thanks.

tcanova
08-21-2012, 04:32 PM
That is just plain awesome! Loved it.

aspieman456
08-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Lots of fine fingerpicking there, guy.

bluesuke
08-22-2012, 03:38 AM
That was FANTASTIC !

jwieties
09-02-2012, 04:01 AM
Well done Tim!!! Great playing and liked the little surprise at the end.
This would be a great one for Ukulele Secrets. *hint hint*

Gmoney
09-02-2012, 04:27 AM
SWEEEEEET! Love how that tune just resonates & drives, and... the unexpected first position chords that usually seem to only be where us rank amateurs hang out. Thank you!

I also note the pinky finger muting - a common guitar technique that I still use as it took me a long time for "chunking" to feel natural.

Again, excellent video. No Grave indeed!

Mahalo

barefootgypsy
09-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Only one word for that - magnificent! A real spirit-raiser in any sense of the word! No grave - ha! :D

ukuleletim
09-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Well gosh.. thank you everyone. I really like playing that song. You can really dig into it.

And that's my new ukulele! It's made by a local (Austin, TX) banjo builder, Lame Horse Instruments. Aside from my harp ukulele it's the nicest quality uke I've had so far. It is a real joy to play. And yes, there is a cowgirl on the back.. I haven't named her yet.

OldePhart
09-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Great song, great clawhammer, great singing...just all around great!

I played the Austin Friend's of Traditional Music open mic this past Sunday in a room filled with fiddles, banjos and guitars. This was the song that got the best response.

I played a handful of other clawhammer songs too and was approached by most everyone there afterwards saying they'd never heard a ukulele played that way.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here (no pun intended) but I really like raising eyebrows as well as the legitimacy of ukulele as something other than a musical toy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6PNB_DZRWg