Interest check - Cedar and Walnut BlueGrassUke Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieFromOntario

Reaction score
TRADED - I no longer have this ukulele.

(here's a link to a better sound clip than the others from the old review: https://www.box.com/s/203606e279ebb9589e2c I'm playing tuned down to EAC#F#; the clips from the review are played at GCEA with overly taught strings.)

Howdy folks!

I'm playing with the idea of selling or trading my beloved BlueGrassUke made by Tom Guy in 2010.

This is one of his early-ish traditional tenors made with a cedar top and walnut back/sides.

I've loved this uke and still frequently play it, but my MP is getting relatively more and more play time. I'm also considering picking up a quality soprano or concert. I keep re-injuring my wrist doing big stretches on the tenors.

This uke is in pretty good shape. It has one ding, maybe 2-3 mm across, on the lower bout. There are also scratches below the sound hole (the results of the very soft cedar and lending the uke out to an interested and perhaps over-enthusiastic teen).
I would certainly include the hard-shell Kala case (not one of the foam ones). This uke will only fit in the largest tenor size cases - there's no way it would fit in a mainland tweed case or an ameritage.

It's currently strung with Southcoast Heavies tuned to EAC#F#.

If anyone's seriously interested, I'll post some current photos and sound clips. In the mean time, here's a review I did of this uke from 2 or 3 years ago:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...dar-Walnut-Tenor-BlueGrass-Ukulele-by-Tom-Guy

To purchase or trade for this uke, I'd be looking for:
- $550 (including $25 towards shipping - local folks in the Toronto to Ottawa 401 corridor can meet me somewhere and pay only $525)
- a quality (not china-made brand) soprano, super-soprano or possibly a concert
- possibly a good factory made soprano (mainland, ohana, etc) plus some cash

Shoot me a pm if you're interested, have something to trade or just want more info.

Jamie

Last edited:
Those old audio clips - the ones from the review - don't do this uke justice. I was using Southcoast strings like I do now but had the tension up waaay too high. I think I was playing on SC heavies tuned to GCEA (I'm happy the bridge didn't come off, though I guess that's a testament to how well it's built...).

Here's a link to some of the same music (and some other random music) that I just did a quick and dirty recording of:

https://www.box.com/s/203606e279ebb9589e2c

In this recording, I am using SouthCoast Heavies tuned down to EAC#F#. I also play a bit in there where i'm tuned to DAC#F#. This instrument wants to be tuned low or with a low G; it's got a big body and tonnes of resonance. In one of the pics I posted, you can see it's size relative to my MP tenor.

Nice uke at a good price. I know because I bought a walnut spruce top from him last Christmas for $795 when he was down here visiting his Inlaws to be whom I'm friends with. I play it quite a bit. It's got a great sound.

Thanks for the comment, Mark.

I really like this one... but I'm hoping it will find a nice new home so I can have a nice soprano or concert to play. It'll be hard to see the BlueGrass go, but my wrists will thank me (as you know, these ukes have thick necks. I find that this one makes me stretch too much for my tendonitis-prone wrists).

Labour day bump and price drop; now $525 (including $25 towards shipping) or $500 flat for local Ontario meet up (come on Corktown Jammers, somebody must want this - you can pick it up right across the street from the Dominion!).

Another bump.

I'm happy to swap out the strings (Worth browns, fremonts, martins, high or low g) and tune it up to GCEA...just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom