F Chord on Baritone Ukulele - Anyone use four fingers?

mauiman

Reaction score
Hi,

I still struggle with the F Chord on my baritone ukulele. After doing a lot more chords that require 4 fingers, I thought "Why can't just use 4 fingers?" Does anyone play it this way? Are there any downsides to this approach? Thanks.

Hi,

I still struggle with the F Chord on my baritone ukulele. After doing a lot more chords that require 4 fingers, I thought "Why can't just use 4 fingers?" Does anyone play it this way? Are there any downsides to this approach? Thanks.

Try barring across the first fret with your index finger, instead of just strings 1&2.
Using four fingers is ok, but it will probably slow you down getting into the chord.

Use your thumb to capture the fourth string...

Not to argue with Ian, but I don't think the thumb is a good habit to get into.
It puts you wrist in the wrong position on the back of the neck.
I know lots of excellent guitar and ukulele players who do it, but I just don't like it.
You may already have your thumb wrapped around instead of behind the neck making a barre chord more difficult.

Thank you!

Try barring across the first fret with your index finger, instead of just strings 1&2.
Using four fingers is ok, but it will probably slow you down getting into the chord.

That's a big help!

Hi Mauiman

I agree with SailingUke. Also, if you barre all four strings with your index finger, you do not have to press down all four strings. D and G strings are fretted elsewhere so your pressure can be eased a little.

When you start play chord melody stuff or just a simple riff, your free pinky can help you a lot (if you do not use all four fingers)

Cheers
Chief

The baritone F is just the Bb fingering and as such I highly, highly recommend that you get into the habit of barring all the way across with your index finger - you don't necessarily have to hold the third and fourth strings down firmly because they will be fretted by other fingers anyway. Using the full length barre positions your hand better to get to and from other chords that are used with the F. (For example, moving between F and C, a very common change in either direction, is much easier if you just drop your hand down from the C to the F, extending that index finger as you do so.)

At the end of the day, of course, you can finger a chord any way that gets the job done for you. But, for most anyway, the full barre is a more natural position when one considers the chord transitions* that must be made.

*Always think of a song as a set of chord transitions, not as a set of chords. You are playing transitions, not isolated chords. The biggest mistake beginners make is thinking that knowing the chords used in a song means they can play the song. That is not so, because until you have mastered the transitions you will never get the timing right and timing is 1/2 the battle, maybe more.

John

Not to argue with Ian, but I don't think the thumb is a good habit to get into.
Ah, go on, I have a thick skin... I'm a politician, after all...
Actually it's not as necessary on the uke because it's only four strings, but it's very common among guitar players. It means the thumb doesn't have to act as as the supporting prop for the tension, because the neck rests in the palm. Mostly an ergonomic position. It's also a little easier to deaden the string under the thumb than under a barre chord...

You are playing transitions, not isolated chords. The biggest mistake beginners make is thinking that knowing the chords used in a song means they can play the song. That is not so, because until you have mastered the transitions you will never get the timing right and timing is 1/2 the battle, maybe more.

Very well-put.

Ah, go on, I have a thick skin... I'm a politician, after all...
Actually it's not as necessary on the uke because it's only four strings, but it's very common among guitar players. It means the thumb doesn't have to act as as the supporting prop for the tension, because the neck rests in the palm. Mostly an ergonomic position. It's also a little easier to deaden the string under the thumb than under a barre chord...

You are also a gentleman and a scholar.
I am still finding tunes from your vintage collection.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I bar across the first fret ok at first, but then I place my middle finger and my index finger lifts a little off of the E string, and when I place my ring finger and my index finger lifts more off of the E striing and a little off of the B string. Do i just need practice and to buildup finger strength or am I doing something else wrong? Appreciate your input.

Hi kuwilikai!

Do i just need practice and to buildup finger strength or am I doing something else wrong? Appreciate your input.

The left one is the real one and bit harder, right one is called banana and the index finger is banana shape. Both ok.

It is not difficult if you see it in front of you. Because we can compare what is wrong at once. I think you can not see the point even you see these photos, that is very normal. I taught it to my friends. If you upload your photos or PM me I can help you. Or just go to local ukulele club where you can see and compare it. If you have a friend who plays guitar, you can ask him how to play grip F (bottom one).

Instead of barring on the first fret. Move up to the 5th fret and practice the barre chord there. It is easier and you can build up your strength, then when you master that move back down the neck and eventually you will be able to barre at the 1st fret. Be patient and practice well. Good luck and enjoy the journey. Like any other skill it takes time.

These lessons may help.

We use index finger (red in the figures), middle and ring fingers (green) for Bb (F on baritone).
There are two directions of power on the board, hence we take two lessons.
We use index finger for lesson 1 (red). It is not difficult but the direction of the power is unusual. We need to pull back the index finger. The fulcrum (red circle) is thumb. We use middle and ring fingers for lesson 2. This direction is also unusual. We need to grip the neck like Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton. Then we pull forward our peripheral joints. The fulcrums are finger tips (green circle).

After these lessons of the power directions of the fingers, we combine them together (bottom figures). When we extend (white arrow) our wrist, index finger looks natural (finished).

Even if you can not accomplish this one, it is not your fault. This is not difficult if you see this finger shape in front of you and learn. mahalo.

Your thumb position in the photos will actually make it harder to fret this particular chord, I would highly recommend that the thumb be located behind the neck, somewhere near the centreline of the neck is ideal. The middle & ring fingers should also be leaning in the opposite direction to which you have illustrated, they need to be leaning towards the nut/headstock.

I would also locate the thumb about 2 or 3 frets above the barring finger (in this case it would be behind the headstock).

And a general tip for barring chords. Use your right forearm to hug the ukulele to your body. This will cause the neck to pull away, helping apply pressure against your fretting hand.

It is odd that when I first got my baritone the F chord was easy. I had played Tenor and concerts for a while and expected to have a problem with my Bari, but I quickly adapted to the stretch and the half barr F. This was despite avoiding the B flat on the C tuned ukes. I have a wonky thumb joint that makes using my thumb behind the neck painful for very long, so I generally keep the neck in the web of my thumb, but I have long fingers so it works out pretty well.

Top Bottom