Best ukulele theory book?

SamJ1206

Reaction score
Its been on the "todo list for such a long time,

i really want to get my head around the theory of it all, can anyone suggest any books id be able to get off amazon?

Thank you

Sam

Have you tried a search? There are multiple threads regarding theory and recommended books.

I have actually, there is a few, i found that most of them were very specific,

there was one looking for an advanced book about it, which i think would be a little two high for me, there were a few people after books about theory for specific reasons, eg to build on skills, or to under stand chords.

however this isnt what im after.

i need a sort of general overview of theory before i delve deeper into specifics.

thank you.

For a general overview, the Music Theory for Dummies is pretty good.

Your local library should have a few basic music theory books. They can be pretty dry, though.

To my knowledge, the only ukulele-focused books that also focus on developing musical understanding in general are James Hill and Chalmers Doane's series Ukulele in the Classroom. Check out their website for more info and a few peeks inside the books.

hey Sam, try this one
"Fretboard Roadmaps" by Fred Sokolow and Jim Beloff
awesome book you'll find really helpful I'm sure!

There are dozens, maybe hundreds of books on music theory. Most of them I've collected cover the subject well, although some are more technically oriented and assume you are taking some music classes or instruction. The majority also use the piano as the base instrument and many assume you can read music, too. The Dummies book is a good intro, however.

Any music store will have a selection of basic books; sometimes they are specific about topics like harmony, rhythm, etc. Your local public library should also have some you can borrow for free. Another option is a used textbook store.

hey Sam, try this one
"Fretboard Roadmaps" by Fred Sokolow and Jim Beloff
awesome book you'll find really helpful I'm sure!

Yep this is a great book. Tell you what, I've got an extra copy. Send me a PM, you pay shipping and it's yours :)

Top Bottom