Mya-Moe

Prius23

Reaction score
Mya-Moe: Does size matter??

I am having a hard time deciding between ordering a tenor vs concert mya-moe. I like the concert size but love the full sound of a tenor. If you had the choice, what would you choose and why?

Last edited:
I am in the middle of this exact choice (same luthier). I've been spending some time with a low-G tenor. My concert and my longneck soprano are 6000 miles away.

Verdict: I am definitely going with a concert. Tenor feels too big. Frets are too far apart. Just seems wrong. Totally personal, but I guess I think a ukulele should be smaller than a tenor. Feels like I'm walking toward guitar-land, where I don't want to go.

I started with a concert, and when i was looking into purchasing my second ukulele I was steered towards a tenor. Reasons cited were that tenors were the "standard" for most modern ukulele players/performers. When I went to the local music store to try out some ukes just to see how the sizes felt, I initially grabbed a baritone thinking that was the tenor size :p

To make a long story short, I bought a tenor and have never looked back. The feel is just right for me (I'm kind of a chunkier guy with large hands) and I have never really gone back to my concert size. I also love the full sound I get out of my tenors. I've tried a couple different string sets on my concert and have yet to get the sound where I want to play it over my tenors. I now have two tenors, one strung traditional reentrant tuning, and one with a low G. I also currently have a Mya-Moe Curly Mango Tenor on order (#983!) that I am anxiously awaiting...

So I guess I'm in the camp of "once you go tenor, you never go back" :p

I made the same choice for my upcoming MM build. For me it's the scale. The concert fits my smaller, shorter, stubbier fingers - so I'm choosing a concert with a 1.5" nut. I know it will sound wonderful and I will play it better as well.

When I spoke with Gordon, he recommended going with the Tenor unless fret reach is an issue (as in my case). So I would strongly recommend talking it out with Char & Gordon.

Good luck and Congrats!

Last edited:
What size instrument do you end up playing the most? I'd go with that.

For me, I don't feel comfortable on a tenor, so I went with a concert. As it is the HF3 I have doesn't get played very often. I didn't want to spend the dough on a custom instrument that would sit in its case most of the time.

There are a lot of things to consider with uke size but I'll share what my main deciding factor is. First I'll say, in general, most people who aren't used to a certain size will get used to the size after a very short period of time so don't stick with the size you play just because your used to it. That being said, the main issues I think of with size are reach on a tenor and congestion on a concert:
A good reason to avoid a tenor would be that you play one at Guitar Center and your fingers just don't reach where they need to go because your hands are too small. If it's clear that a bit of finger yoga wont cure that, then a tenor is out of the question. I think this is a pretty rare problem though.
I've been playing a concert for about a year. I love it but I have big hands and I play high up on the neck quite a bit. If I'm trying to make a G shape at the 12th fret it gets a bit congested. It's doable but tough. For that reason, my next ukulele will be a tenor and that's probably the size I'll play from now on.
If either of those things aren't a factor for you, just go with the tenor. It's good to have variety.
Hope that helps.

How about a super soprano or super concert...ha ha never saw a super concert...but saw a super soprano...I guess Gordon will chime in here....

I've got larger hands and like the feel and sound of a tenor. Like the guys above said; it depends on your playing style and what ever one you choose, you'll get used to it. Like Bob, I like playing high up the neck so a tenor fits my style. The MM's neck is one of the best if not the best neck I've played on in 52yrs of playing stringed instruments.

I've got a great MM BluePond Myrtle tenor for sale. There's a thread on it in the Marketplace.

I think, seeing you've already said you prefer the sound of a tenor scale uke, then there's no confusion...get a tenor. :) For the concert sound will always be frustrating to you by comparison.

I thought I was a tenor man until I got a KoAloha concert. I can't stop playing it and my other ukes are getting neglected,

I have been mainly a baritone player and even have a Mya Moe baritone on order.
Since my Pohaku tenor arrived, I can't put it down.
My buddies play mainly concerts and sopranos--with an occasional sopranino thrown in.
It's hard to characterize the different tonal qualities of each size but in ensemble playing, the tenor seems to 'sing' more. And the smaller ukes have more 'bark'. This is just my impression from listening to the 10-15 other ukes in the group.
I'd second Eugene's suggestion to focus on the 'sound' of the instrument and put less emphasis on other factors.

I am having a hard time deciding between ordering a tenor vs concert mya-moe. I like the concert size but love the full sound of a tenor. If you had the choice, what would you choose and why?

Tenor with a concert neck.

Tenor with a concert neck.

:stop: eeeeew, sounds like an ugly mistake. Not sure MM offer that option at this point... :uhoh:

...maybe we should ask Willie to invent one...he already invented a super baritone for Stan

:deadhorse:

Last edited:
seems to me that for you it just comes down to weighing up the comfort you enjoy in the concert scale against the tone you prefer from a tenor, and deciding which is more important. If the extra stretch of the tenor neck isn't a problem for you then perhaps your decision is already made...

Thanks for everyone's input. I am leaning toward the tenor...at least for today...and Coolkayaker, you always crack me up.

I have been mainly a baritone player and even have a Mya Moe baritone on order.
Since my Pohaku tenor arrived, I can't put it down.
My buddies play mainly concerts and sopranos--with an occasional sopranino thrown in.
It's hard to characterize the different tonal qualities of each size but in ensemble playing, the tenor seems to 'sing' more. And the smaller ukes have more 'bark'. This is just my impression from listening to the 10-15 other ukes in the group.
I'd second Eugene's suggestion to focus on the 'sound' of the instrument and put less emphasis on other factors.

I often use the word "bark" to describe ukulele sounds. Glad to know I'm not alone. ;)

Top Bottom