The Real scoops on KoAlanas.....

MGM

Reaction score
Now that the cat is out of the bag here's the deal on the new Koalanas from Koaloha.....AMAZING.....okay here's what they did...Unhappy with the offerings of chinese makers and dealings with past spec problems and cosmetics....Alan, Paul and Alwin came up with a new approach to making their import line...they set up their own factory in Thailand....their workers, their machinery...their jigs...the unibrace..and have been shuffling back and forth some of their key workers from the Hawaii factory. For months they have working alongside and training their Thai counterparts....no more quality control or changing specs issues. what you will be getting is the look feel and sound of a Koaloha....just made in mahogany and from Thailand....and yes no Koa ones as Thailand bans export of Koa...
I first tried the original prototypes about a year ago and they sounded just like a Koaloha...slighlty warmer since it was mahogany...heres a peek of what i first saw and played

koalana 2.jpg
koalana2.jpg

As posted earlier here is the final now in production models in soprano and concert with the Koaloha standard logo witht the pearl star above
koalanas-.jpg

So there you have it...As mentioned..I've been told Koalohas will rise in price very soon...probably at the same time the KoAlanas arrive so get one now if you were wishing for one...

I should have videos of the new Koalanas tomorrow with sound samples

Oh wow, I wish they stuck with the original headstock. That is awesome!

Any word on price points?

I do but they are not finalized as of yet so no annoucement....

Aloha Mike,
The open headstock is kinda different. I have an original one from the first attempt at this uke. Sounds and plays wonderful. Troy Fernandez played it and he was surprised as well. I now have his autograph on it along with Jay Luna of SOS, he liked it too. Brian at Koaloha gave me a set of genuine Koaloha tuners to replace the ugly ones that were on there. Looks like a Koaloha from a distance.
So my rare uke isn't so rare now, except it will be like my Maui Music prefire uke, right Mike?
Mahalo for the heads up.................................BO.......................

That explains why Paul and Alan's Twitter feeds have been filled with reports from Thailand. They look lovely, I look forward to hearing how they sound. Thanks for the info Mike.

Oh wow, I wish they stuck with the original headstock. That is awesome!

Any word on price points?

Not too hard to guess, if the price range falls into the same one with Islander.... I'm game.

Oh wow! When these puppies arrive at HMS, you boys gonna be working lots of overtime packaging/shipping ukes worldwide! I know I'm interested for a soprano to start with. :)
Thanks for the heads up, MGM. Gives me some time to save up!

Sweet! If I didn't already have a KoAloha soprano, I'd get one of these in a heartbeat.

Wow it was soo hard to keep quiet about this one......yup they will be a whole lot better than the chinese one....but you know they sounded not bad too...
I'm waiting for the price now...

MGM, didn't Koaloha increase their price earlier this year already? Will there be two price increases in one year??

Tenors coming next?

I'd kill for the open headstock!

Aloha Mike,
The open headstock is kinda different. I have an original one from the first attempt at this uke. Sounds and plays wonderful. Troy Fernandez played it and he was surprised as well. I now have his autograph on it along with Jay Luna of SOS, he liked it too. Brian at Koaloha gave me a set of genuine Koaloha tuners to replace the ugly ones that were on there. Looks like a Koaloha from a distance.
So my rare uke isn't so rare now, except it will be like my Maui Music prefire uke, right Mike?
Mahalo for the heads up.................................BO.......................

That is really cool. Thanks for the sneak peek, MGM! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Wow! I LOVE that open headstock on the prototype! That would be a gas - just wonder how strong it is.

Maybe they could do some that way for a little higher price?

-Kurt​

Now that the cat is out of the bag here's the deal on the new Koalanas from Koaloha.....AMAZING.....okay here's what they did...Unhappy with the offerings of chinese makers and dealings with past spec problems and cosmetics....Alan, Paul and Alwin came up with a new approach to making their import line...they set up their own factory in Thailand....their workers, their machinery...their jigs...the unibrace..and have been shuffling back and forth some of their key workers from the Hawaii factory. For months they have working alongside and training their Thai counterparts....no more quality control or changing specs issues. what you will be getting is the look feel and sound of a Koaloha....just made in mahogany and from Thailand....and yes no Koa ones as Thailand bans export of Koa...
I first tried the original prototypes about a year ago and they sounded just like a Koaloha...slighlty warmer since it was mahogany...heres a peek of what i first saw and played

View attachment 42125
View attachment 42126

As posted earlier here is the final now in production models in soprano and concert with the Koaloha standard logo witht the pearl star above
View attachment 42132

So there you have it...As mentioned..I've been told Koalohas will rise in price very soon...probably at the same time the KoAlanas arrive so get one now if you were wishing for one...

I should have videos of the new Koalanas tomorrow with sound samples

Now that the cat is out of the bag here's the deal on the new Koalanas from Koaloha.....AMAZING.....okay here's what they did...Unhappy with the offerings of chinese makers and dealings with past spec problems and cosmetics....Alan, Paul and Alwin came up with a new approach to making their import line...they set up their own factory in Thailand....their workers, their machinery...their jigs...the unibrace..and have been shuffling back and forth some of their key workers from the Hawaii factory. For months they have working alongside and training their Thai counterparts....no more quality control or changing specs issues. what you will be getting is the look feel and sound of a Koaloha....just made in mahogany and from Thailand....

Pretty much the exact same story as Martin when they opened their Mexico facility. Good deal!

Scooter

Hey Mike, obviously you're a guy who can keep a secret!

You're also a guy who can spill the beans when you have permission to do so!!

Wow, like everyone else, looking for finalized pricing!

I think the world will be filled with these babies in no time.

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom