Its jusct clicked that ive had my current ukulele strings on for about 4 years?!

SamJ1206

Reaction score
Just reading some threada about changeing strings.

I thought abojut the last time i changed mine, and turns out i havent since i bought my fluke around 4 years ago!

i play my ukulele alot, and bar when im abroad, i play it every day.

ive never noticed any change in sound, but thinking about it if it were a gradual change, over the course of 4 years i suppose i wouldnt have noticed it

i was going to do recording, but being late for work (again) becuase of this adictive site i havent had time

but htis was filmed about a week ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ5qRRQdOK8&feature=plcp

do they sound like they are screaming out to be changed?

i honestlycant tell a difference

Run a fingernail on the back of the strings. If there are some groove in the string (due to the frets) that will effect the sound.

I like to change strings (more often than needed) because I like the different sound I get from different strings. Try some Black Freemonts on you Fluke.

Anyone else have a recommendation?

Last edited:
I have a Ko'Aloha Soprano that had the same set of strings on it for 12 years. I loved the sound so much I didn't want to change anything. Then one day I started thinking that maybe it would sound really better with new strings and 12 years was long enough for a set of strings. With new strings the Ko'Aloha sounds even better.

I have a Ko'Aloha Soprano that had the same set of strings on it for 12 years. I loved the sound so much I didn't want to change anything. Then one day I started thinking that maybe it would sound really better with new strings and 12 years was long enough for a set of strings. With new strings the Ko'Aloha sounds even better.
Aloha Katy,
that must be a record of some kind.....tee hee hee Happy Strummings
Yes sometimes the sound of strings deteroriating is so minute that we don't even reconize until our strings are flat dead...and have tuning issues

Run a fingernail on the back of the strings. If there are some groove in the string (due to the frets) that will effect the sound.

This is the best method. The other thing I watch for is tuning. If my electronic tuner waivers it is either the strings or tuner battery.
The degradation on strings can be so slow that you don't hear it until you put new strings on.
I change up every 6-12 months depending on the uke. My friends kid me that I never change strings, just buy a new uke.

How often you need to change them depends a lot on how much you play and your playing style, and especially on what kind of strings they are. Fluorocarbon strings are very hard and tend to last a long time. For example, I can pretty much destroy a set of Aquilas in 4 to 6 weeks on a uke I play a lot but I've had fluorocarbons on my most popular ukes for as long as a year and noticed very little change when I finally changed them out.

John

hey Sam, I've got a March 2010 Mya Moe soprano still with its original strings...he he...sounds so good I don't wanna change nuttin' :)

Top Bottom