Which Uke now inspires you most and why...

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
I will start it off.... I like my Anakoneke because it inspires me to
play and sparks my creativity and makes me feel good.. It probally
has the best intonation of my ukes.. as you most know in intonation,
most times it's close but no cigar...this one is spot on on every string
amazing uke..it has a sweet sound that I really like...
Now what is your favorite uke that inspires you and why...:)

Last edited:
hey Stan, nice thread mate

right now? My new ohana sk-21 sopranino which arrived this afternoon.

It is small and cute and cuddly and has a great sound. After playing it a few minutes when I opened it I realised I hated the stock aquila strings. I now have a set of pyramid fluorocarbons on it and have been playing it all night, already strum marks everywhere and buffed the finish to gloss, just been thrashing it and having a ball. Great for those strumming out type songs..."yes sir that's my baby" and all those classic uke tunes. Our family is off to Hobart to visit the parents tomorrow and this baby will be coming down with us, it actually fits in the pocket of my lumberjack jacket he he so she will literally be coming with me everywhere. It has refreshed my love for the instrument and it's possibilities, I am looking forward to how much different types of sounds and playing styles I can get out of it. I had a sopranino awhile back which I sold and deeply regretted, but this one will not be going anywhere...except where I go

well built, very light and responsive and surprisingly easy to handle given it size. the intonation is not too bad and the tuners are a little temperamental but I'll work on them. Got that nice mahogany bark and decent volume for it's tiny body. Yes, this is my new baby and I'm inspired to play it into sawdust. :) $150 bucks for a lifetime of fun?...oh well, if I must...

Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Wow you got your Ohana already...Ha ha strum marks...yup badges of honor mate...gotta have them to know
you're a serious playa...hee hee never tried pyramid strings, are they available only in Australia??? You know
in the past I was not a big believer in freemont strings, but on the anakoneke, it is great...love them bruddah wow
Hey Bruddah, that is cool you're going to the parents house for the weekend, good to get some different scenery
of daily life and see the parents... cool I hope you make it in the city and check it out...maybe a music store
and some cool foods..ha ha no forget a evening beer..ha ha have one for me!!! what's with your tuners, they
are slipping..hell you are a great player...does that matter.. lol nah mate, I know the feeling, I had to twist
the sh*t outta my tuner screw to set it.. hope you resolve your tuner..Happy Strummings and have a nice time
at the parents place...Stay safe and enjoy..Happy Strummings....woo hoo:):music: PS bring your Collings as backup

Last edited:
I havent got a new uke in almost two years because I have an awsome uke that wants to be played. I have to pick my Moore Bettah NSB concert, I have not played a uke that is even close to being in the same league (I,m sure there are some amazing ukes out there too), well maybe there was the one Koaloha black lable but... It sounds better than anything else I have and looks cooler.

pyramid strings I think are German mate..got a few sets with my bruko. I love em. They are bright and lively. yeah, funny how different strings can work with different ukes...even Hilos ha ha. tuners are no problem, a few twists with the lil phillips head screwdriver will burst their misbehaving bubbles.

yeah mate, lots of walks, a morning out to breakfast down by the docks, a couple of retro, 2nd hand shops and the inevitable trip down to a few music shops and old vinyl stores (leave the girls to go and do their thing...whew)...man this is Hobart, the BIG SMOKE...he he...when you live in a town of a dozen people and 30 dogs this is like a trip to LA for us Bruddah. Actually the range of ukes has steadily increased in the local music shops these past 18 months, all factory and predictable models but it beats having to play a coloured mahalo with 7mm actions which I'd been doing the previous 10 years he he. thanks for the well wishes Stan, will message you when we get down there and fill you in on the high life :)

Aloha Dnewton2,
What you've got a Moore Bettah concert...wow you lucky bugga, Chuckie told me he prefers to make soprano's
and tenors...how did you manage to convince him to make you one...I know you may never sell it...but if
you do...ha ha give me first dibbs...If I ever get one, I too may not buy another uke for a long long time..Happy
Strummings too..

the uke that inspires me is in fact a uke i dont even own :( and that would be a vintage martin type O, and one day when i ca play well enough and afford one it is my dream to own at least one vintage Martin. So i keep playing and struggling over the plateaux of learning and keep dreaming of that elusive Martin.
One of our members at our uke club has a vintage martin and i have had a few plays of it, but i love to just listen to him play and hear those sweet tones come out, he said that my Ohana SK35G sounded really nice which made me smile, and then i thought yeah but its not a vintage Martin lola
Congrats on the new uke Jon, they seem real good value for money those ohana sopranino's, i like ohana ukes, i have the kala pocket uke in acacia it ways more than either of my 2 sopranos, have a great trip to see the folks and howdy Stan :)

pyramid strings I think are German mate..got a few sets with my bruko. I love em. They are bright and lively. yeah, funny how different strings can work with different ukes...even Hilos ha ha. tuners are no problem, a few twists with the lil phillips head screwdriver will burst their misbehaving bubbles.

yeah mate, lots of walks, a morning out to breakfast down by the docks, a couple of retro, 2nd hand shops and the inevitable trip down to a few music shops and old vinyl stores (leave the girls to go and do their thing...whew)...man this is Hobart, the BIG SMOKE...he he...when you live in a town of a dozen people and 30 dogs this is like a trip to LA for us Bruddah. Actually the range of ukes has steadily increased in the local music shops these past 18 months, all factory and predictable models but it beats having to play a coloured mahalo with 7mm actions which I'd been doing the previous 10 years he he. thanks for the well wishes Stan, will message you when we get down there and fill you in on the high life :)
Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
I can imagine playing on docks in Hobart with your Ohana.....is there anything mo bettah?? ha ha 7 mm action..good
for picking I suppose... that made me laugh this morning...thank you.. oh German strings, eh gotta check um out
and see if I can get a couple sets...yes I heard england have some of their own strings too..besides Ken's awesome
ones... I have them from a uke I bought from there...breaskfast down the docks and hot coffee, dat iz da life mate
keep me informed....

the uke that inspires me is in fact a uke i dont even own :( and that would be a vintage martin type O, and one day when i ca play well enough and afford one it is my dream to own at least one vintage Martin. So i keep playing and struggling over the plateaux of learning and keep dreaming of that elusive Martin.
One of our members at our uke club has a vintage martin and i have had a few plays of it, but i love to just listen to him play and hear those sweet tones come out, he said that my Ohana SK35G sounded really nice which made me smile, and then i thought yeah but its not a vintage Martin lola
Congrats on the new uke Jon, they seem real good value for money those ohana sopranino's, i like ohana ukes, i have the kala pocket uke in acacia it ways more than either of my 2 sopranos, have a great trip to see the folks and howdy Stan :)
hey Dave, good choice I reckon brother. I too am inspired to own a vintage Martin one sunny day. Never even seen one in person yet, let alone played one, but it's my dream to own a 3M soprano or style 1. Have a good weekend mate over there in the ol' Dart :)

what's this about prince Willie's willie, hmmm...or was it prince Harry's willie...whew...too many Willie's everywhere at the moment...Lexxy even got his out in this thread... a much better sight to be sure.... (*off to naughty corner now*)

Aloha Dave,
Yes you gotta get yourself one vintage martin..oh man the resonate like a dream..you will not regret it for sure
I have all sizes and enjoy them all....but the tenor is to die for...they getting real expensive though now..
I hope Dave one day you will get one...yeah keep the wife happy first though...happy strummings mate..
funny video...reminds me of absoultely fabulous show...ha ha and the benny guy...chipolatas...ha ha
or baby brats..

Last edited:
hey Dave, good choice I reckon brother. I too am inspired to own a vintage Martin one sunny day. Never even seen one in person yet, let alone played one, but it's my dream to own a 3M soprano or style 1. Have a good weekend mate over there in the ol' Dart :)

what's this about prince Willie's willie, hmmm...or was it prince Harry's willie...whew...too many Willie's everywhere at the moment...Lexxy even got his out in this thread... a much better sight to be sure.... (*off to naughty corner now*)

He he he you are naughty Jon but i like you (in a dick emery voice (hope you know him!)) yeah it was all over the net the story not his privates lol they banned the pics in the uk press which is handy as it would of put me off chipolata's.
We have a few members (no pun intended) in the uke club who have vintage martins and one chap has a few vintage martins and gibsons but boy can he play to, he plays amazing blues on them, im trying to befriend him with big puppy dog eyes and let him know my need for a vintage martin lol.
Have a great trip mate, have fun, recharge the Ol batteries hope you and all the family have a great time have a VB for me.

Last edited:
Aloha Dave,
Yes you gotta get yourself one vintage martin..oh man the resonate like a dream..you will not regret it for sure
I have all sizes and enjoy them all....but the tenor is to die for...they getting real expensive though now..
I hope Dave one day you will get one...yeah keep the wife happy first though...happy strummings mate..
Aloha Stan yep it is more important to me thanany other material desire :) the vintage Martin is my dream, i guess i am at least lucky enough to have played one, my dream would be to have a soprano first then a baritone, i pressume they made baritones ? or is my limited knowledge letting me down lol.
So i have 2 dreams which is always good to have 1 a vintage Martin or two
2 to actually meet and jam with some of the wonderful people on this site :)
This is a great thread Stan hope you have a god weekend, we got a long weekend this weekend and i have a gig with the uke club on monday at a fun day at a pub, best wishes to you mate

Aloha Dnewton2,
What you've got a Moore Bettah concert...wow you lucky bugga, Chuckie told me he prefers to make soprano's
and tenors...how did you manage to convince him to make you one...I know you may never sell it...but if
you do...ha ha give me first dibbs...If I ever get one, I too may not buy another uke for a long long time..Happy
Strummings too..

Stan you buggah....um,

I better nominate for 2nd dibbs then...he he

:deadhorse:

I dont see a sale in the near future but if I remeber I will let you guys know.

How did I get a concert? About 4 years ago (really wow 4 years) I contacted Chuck to see about possibly getting one of his ukes. He said he had a spot in his next build cycle and it went from there. Just luck I guess. Now that you mention it I dont recall seeing many concerts on his page. But sukie has a super concert i think.

Aloha Dave,
funny video...reminds me of absoultely fabulous show...ha ha and the benny guy...chipolatas...ha ha
or baby brats..

I just picked up a vintage martin soprano on ebay and am still waiting for it to arrive. Never seen or heard one in person before (just the mexican martins which I liked), but wanted one for a while now after seeing and hearing them online. Been watching them on ebay for over a year now and watching the prices continuously climb....figured might as well bite the bullet now as they are not getting any cheaper. I'll have to sell a few ukes to pay for it though so hopefully its worth it.

Aloha Peter,
Yup in the last 5 years the martin prices have just hit the ceiling....Congrats on your recent martin purchase....Like any ukes, there are lemons...out of all my martin purchases,
I've only had one bad one....but still it's a decent player....maybe paid too much...425 about...ha ha still they are great investment and great players usually most of the times...
happy strummings and let me know how it turns out.....

Top Bottom