PDA

View Full Version : Which Uke now inspires you most and why...

mm stan
08-24-2012, 01:07 AM
I will start it off.... I like my Anakoneke because it inspires me to
play and sparks my creativity and makes me feel good.. It probally
has the best intonation of my ukes.. as you most know in intonation,
most times it's close but no cigar...this one is spot on on every string
amazing uke..it has a sweet sound that I really like...
Now what is your favorite uke that inspires you and why...:)

Lexxy
08-24-2012, 01:11 AM
My only uke, of course! The Rosewood/Cedar tenor Wixom!

mm stan
08-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Mahalo Lexxy,
I love my wixom too..you made me pick mine up just now..now that is some inspiration!! :)

Hippie Dribble
08-24-2012, 01:30 AM
hey Stan, nice thread mate

right now? My new ohana sk-21 sopranino which arrived this afternoon.

It is small and cute and cuddly and has a great sound. After playing it a few minutes when I opened it I realised I hated the stock aquila strings. I now have a set of pyramid fluorocarbons on it and have been playing it all night, already strum marks everywhere and buffed the finish to gloss, just been thrashing it and having a ball. Great for those strumming out type songs..."yes sir that's my baby" and all those classic uke tunes. Our family is off to Hobart to visit the parents tomorrow and this baby will be coming down with us, it actually fits in the pocket of my lumberjack jacket he he so she will literally be coming with me everywhere. It has refreshed my love for the instrument and it's possibilities, I am looking forward to how much different types of sounds and playing styles I can get out of it. I had a sopranino awhile back which I sold and deeply regretted, but this one will not be going anywhere...except where I go

well built, very light and responsive and surprisingly easy to handle given it size. the intonation is not too bad and the tuners are a little temperamental but I'll work on them. Got that nice mahogany bark and decent volume for it's tiny body. Yes, this is my new baby and I'm inspired to play it into sawdust. :) $150 bucks for a lifetime of fun?...oh well, if I must...

mm stan
08-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Wow you got your Ohana already...Ha ha strum marks...yup badges of honor mate...gotta have them to know
you're a serious playa...hee hee never tried pyramid strings, are they available only in Australia??? You know
in the past I was not a big believer in freemont strings, but on the anakoneke, it is great...love them bruddah wow
Hey Bruddah, that is cool you're going to the parents house for the weekend, good to get some different scenery
of daily life and see the parents... cool I hope you make it in the city and check it out...maybe a music store
and some cool foods..ha ha no forget a evening beer..ha ha have one for me!!! what's with your tuners, they
are slipping..hell you are a great player...does that matter.. lol nah mate, I know the feeling, I had to twist
the sh*t outta my tuner screw to set it.. hope you resolve your tuner..Happy Strummings and have a nice time
at the parents place...Stay safe and enjoy..Happy Strummings....woo hoo:):music: PS bring your Collings as backup

dnewton2
08-24-2012, 01:53 AM
I havent got a new uke in almost two years because I have an awsome uke that wants to be played. I have to pick my Moore Bettah NSB concert, I have not played a uke that is even close to being in the same league (I,m sure there are some amazing ukes out there too), well maybe there was the one Koaloha black lable but... It sounds better than anything else I have and looks cooler.

Hippie Dribble
08-24-2012, 01:57 AM
pyramid strings I think are German mate..got a few sets with my bruko. I love em. They are bright and lively. yeah, funny how different strings can work with different ukes...even Hilos ha ha. tuners are no problem, a few twists with the lil phillips head screwdriver will burst their misbehaving bubbles.

yeah mate, lots of walks, a morning out to breakfast down by the docks, a couple of retro, 2nd hand shops and the inevitable trip down to a few music shops and old vinyl stores (leave the girls to go and do their thing...whew)...man this is Hobart, the BIG SMOKE...he he...when you live in a town of a dozen people and 30 dogs this is like a trip to LA for us Bruddah. Actually the range of ukes has steadily increased in the local music shops these past 18 months, all factory and predictable models but it beats having to play a coloured mahalo with 7mm actions which I'd been doing the previous 10 years he he. thanks for the well wishes Stan, will message you when we get down there and fill you in on the high life :)

mm stan
08-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Aloha Dnewton2,
What you've got a Moore Bettah concert...wow you lucky bugga, Chuckie told me he prefers to make soprano's
and tenors...how did you manage to convince him to make you one...I know you may never sell it...but if
you do...ha ha give me first dibbs...If I ever get one, I too may not buy another uke for a long long time..Happy
Strummings too..

ukuleledaveey
08-24-2012, 02:03 AM
the uke that inspires me is in fact a uke i dont even own :( and that would be a vintage martin type O, and one day when i ca play well enough and afford one it is my dream to own at least one vintage Martin. So i keep playing and struggling over the plateaux of learning and keep dreaming of that elusive Martin.
One of our members at our uke club has a vintage martin and i have had a few plays of it, but i love to just listen to him play and hear those sweet tones come out, he said that my Ohana SK35G sounded really nice which made me smile, and then i thought yeah but its not a vintage Martin lola
Congrats on the new uke Jon, they seem real good value for money those ohana sopranino's, i like ohana ukes, i have the kala pocket uke in acacia it ways more than either of my 2 sopranos, have a great trip to see the folks and howdy Stan :)

Hippie Dribble
08-24-2012, 02:06 AM
but if
you do...ha ha give me first dibbs...

Stan you buggah....um,

I better nominate for 2nd dibbs then...he he

:deadhorse:

mm stan
08-24-2012, 02:11 AM
pyramid strings I think are German mate..got a few sets with my bruko. I love em. They are bright and lively. yeah, funny how different strings can work with different ukes...even Hilos ha ha. tuners are no problem, a few twists with the lil phillips head screwdriver will burst their misbehaving bubbles.

yeah mate, lots of walks, a morning out to breakfast down by the docks, a couple of retro, 2nd hand shops and the inevitable trip down to a few music shops and old vinyl stores (leave the girls to go and do their thing...whew)...man this is Hobart, the BIG SMOKE...he he...when you live in a town of a dozen people and 30 dogs this is like a trip to LA for us Bruddah. Actually the range of ukes has steadily increased in the local music shops these past 18 months, all factory and predictable models but it beats having to play a coloured mahalo with 7mm actions which I'd been doing the previous 10 years he he. thanks for the well wishes Stan, will message you when we get down there and fill you in on the high life :)
Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
I can imagine playing on docks in Hobart with your Ohana.....is there anything mo bettah?? ha ha 7 mm action..good
for picking I suppose... that made me laugh this morning...thank you.. oh German strings, eh gotta check um out
and see if I can get a couple sets...yes I heard england have some of their own strings too..besides Ken's awesome
ones... I have them from a uke I bought from there...breaskfast down the docks and hot coffee, dat iz da life mate
keep me informed....

Hippie Dribble
08-24-2012, 02:12 AM
the uke that inspires me is in fact a uke i dont even own :( and that would be a vintage martin type O, and one day when i ca play well enough and afford one it is my dream to own at least one vintage Martin. So i keep playing and struggling over the plateaux of learning and keep dreaming of that elusive Martin.
One of our members at our uke club has a vintage martin and i have had a few plays of it, but i love to just listen to him play and hear those sweet tones come out, he said that my Ohana SK35G sounded really nice which made me smile, and then i thought yeah but its not a vintage Martin lola
Congrats on the new uke Jon, they seem real good value for money those ohana sopranino's, i like ohana ukes, i have the kala pocket uke in acacia it ways more than either of my 2 sopranos, have a great trip to see the folks and howdy Stan :)
hey Dave, good choice I reckon brother. I too am inspired to own a vintage Martin one sunny day. Never even seen one in person yet, let alone played one, but it's my dream to own a 3M soprano or style 1. Have a good weekend mate over there in the ol' Dart :)

what's this about prince Willie's willie, hmmm...or was it prince Harry's willie...whew...too many Willie's everywhere at the moment...Lexxy even got his out in this thread... a much better sight to be sure.... (*off to naughty corner now*)

mm stan
08-24-2012, 02:17 AM
Aloha Dave,
Yes you gotta get yourself one vintage martin..oh man the resonate like a dream..you will not regret it for sure
I have all sizes and enjoy them all....but the tenor is to die for...they getting real expensive though now..
I hope Dave one day you will get one...yeah keep the wife happy first though...happy strummings mate..
funny video...reminds me of absoultely fabulous show...ha ha and the benny guy...chipolatas...ha ha
or baby brats..

mm stan
08-24-2012, 02:20 AM
Stan you buggah....um,

I've learned too many times on missed oppertunities....ha ha

ukuleledaveey
08-24-2012, 02:22 AM
hey Dave, good choice I reckon brother. I too am inspired to own a vintage Martin one sunny day. Never even seen one in person yet, let alone played one, but it's my dream to own a 3M soprano or style 1. Have a good weekend mate over there in the ol' Dart :)

what's this about prince Willie's willie, hmmm...or was it prince Harry's willie...whew...too many Willie's everywhere at the moment...Lexxy even got his out in this thread... a much better sight to be sure.... (*off to naughty corner now*)

He he he you are naughty Jon but i like you (in a dick emery voice (hope you know him!))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQKlOn9iYb0&feature=related yeah it was all over the net the story not his privates lol they banned the pics in the uk press which is handy as it would of put me off chipolata's.
We have a few members (no pun intended) in the uke club who have vintage martins and one chap has a few vintage martins and gibsons but boy can he play to, he plays amazing blues on them, im trying to befriend him with big puppy dog eyes and let him know my need for a vintage martin lol.
Have a great trip mate, have fun, recharge the Ol batteries hope you and all the family have a great time have a VB for me.

ukuleledaveey
08-24-2012, 02:33 AM
Aloha Dave,
Yes you gotta get yourself one vintage martin..oh man the resonate like a dream..you will not regret it for sure
I have all sizes and enjoy them all....but the tenor is to die for...they getting real expensive though now..
I hope Dave one day you will get one...yeah keep the wife happy first though...happy strummings mate..
Aloha Stan yep it is more important to me thanany other material desire :) the vintage Martin is my dream, i guess i am at least lucky enough to have played one, my dream would be to have a soprano first then a baritone, i pressume they made baritones ? or is my limited knowledge letting me down lol.
So i have 2 dreams which is always good to have 1 a vintage Martin or two
2 to actually meet and jam with some of the wonderful people on this site :)
This is a great thread Stan hope you have a god weekend, we got a long weekend this weekend and i have a gig with the uke club on monday at a fun day at a pub, best wishes to you mate

dnewton2
08-24-2012, 04:04 AM
Aloha Dnewton2,
What you've got a Moore Bettah concert...wow you lucky bugga, Chuckie told me he prefers to make soprano's
and tenors...how did you manage to convince him to make you one...I know you may never sell it...but if
you do...ha ha give me first dibbs...If I ever get one, I too may not buy another uke for a long long time..Happy
Strummings too..

Stan you buggah....um,

I dont see a sale in the near future but if I remeber I will let you guys know.

How did I get a concert? About 4 years ago (really wow 4 years) I contacted Chuck to see about possibly getting one of his ukes. He said he had a spot in his next build cycle and it went from there. Just luck I guess. Now that you mention it I dont recall seeing many concerts on his page. But sukie has a super concert i think.

v30
08-24-2012, 04:31 AM
Aloha Dave,
funny video...reminds me of absoultely fabulous show...ha ha and the benny guy...chipolatas...ha ha
or baby brats..

I just picked up a vintage martin soprano on ebay and am still waiting for it to arrive. Never seen or heard one in person before (just the mexican martins which I liked), but wanted one for a while now after seeing and hearing them online. Been watching them on ebay for over a year now and watching the prices continuously climb....figured might as well bite the bullet now as they are not getting any cheaper. I'll have to sell a few ukes to pay for it though so hopefully its worth it.

mm stan
08-24-2012, 04:41 AM
Aloha Peter,
Yup in the last 5 years the martin prices have just hit the ceiling....Congrats on your recent martin purchase....Like any ukes, there are lemons...out of all my martin purchases,
I've only had one bad one....but still it's a decent player....maybe paid too much...425 about...ha ha still they are great investment and great players usually most of the times...
happy strummings and let me know how it turns out.....

hmgberg
08-24-2012, 05:21 AM
The ukes that inspire me today are my 40s-50s Martin 2M and a koa soprano I made for myself.

You can get Pyramid strings here:

http://search.stringsandbeyond.com/search?vwcatalog=stringsandbeyond&query=pyramid+ukulele&x=0&y=0

OldePhart
08-24-2012, 07:03 AM
I don't know that I'd call it inspiration - but I do know that my Mainland mahogany soprano is the one I reach for most often and that goes with me when I go out of town, now.

John

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Nice thread, Stan.

Gotta be my Kamaka standard. Play it every day. Love it every day. Excuse me, I'm going to go strum it once or twice now.

vanflynn
08-24-2012, 07:20 AM
The uke that inspires me is one that I don't own. It inspires me to be a better player to justify a really nice uke.

I am looking forward to getting my tiki back from the Kamaka repair shop.

808boy
08-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Aloha Bruddah Stan,
I don't know if it's just a phase I'm going through but I don't feel inspired to play anymore. Lately, I've just been dabbling with all my ukes but not like how it used to be. My playing time is getting shorter, and my desire for the uke and playing them is diminishing, kinda like losing interest. If that's the case, my family just inherited my collection.
The last uke that inspired me was my Maui Music though, great all around player...................BO..................

mm stan
08-24-2012, 07:51 AM
The ukes that inspire me today are my 40s-50s Martin 2M and a koa soprano I made for myself.

You can get Pyramid strings here:

http://search.stringsandbeyond.com/search?
vwcatalog=stringsandbeyond&query=pyramid+ukulele&x=0&y=0
Mahalo howie for the link for the strings, I have a style two too, it was my very first martin..it is so sweet..

mm stan
08-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Aloha John,
Can't blame you, I love my mainland mahogany soprano honeybee too..it's a real fun uke that sweet...worth
every cent..plus it was from Eugene Ukulele...

mm stan
08-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Mahalo Ron,
Yup my kamaka soprano is definetely one of my fav's....can't blame you wanna play it everyday..

mm stan
08-24-2012, 07:59 AM
The uke that inspires me is one that I don't own. It inspires me to be a better player to justify a really nice uke.

I am looking forward to getting my tiki back from the Kamaka repair shop.
Let me know when you get back your kamaka tiki, yup it's one of the holy grail ukes...you lucky guy

mm stan
08-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Aloha Bruddah Bo,
Sorry for now you may have lost your enthusiasm to play..everybody goes through these times where
you lose intrest....maybe uke overload..he he keep at it bruddah, find new songs and new challenges
or buy a new uke that inspires you......you have to find that special uke that inspires your creativity
when you play and just try new techniques when you're jammin' no give up brah...happy strummings

janeray1940
08-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Not to state the obvious, but - the DaSilva. As for why - it's just such pure pleasure to play! Of course, I could say that about playing uke in general :) Also, there's something about having such a nice uke that really inspires me to push myself - someday I really do hope to be worthy of it!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Not to state the obvious, but - the DaSilva. As for why - it's just such pure pleasure to play! Of course, I could say that about playing uke in general :) Also, there's something about having such a nice uke that really inspires me to push myself - someday I really do hope to be worthy of it!

The DaSilva was designed and built for you and only you. It's the rest of us who are not worthy of that particular instrument.

I'm glad the DaSilva's inspired you to share music with us in the Seasons contests---it's a pleasure to hear you and that wonderful uke make music together.

Doc_J
08-24-2012, 08:25 AM
I will start it off.... I like my Anakoneke because it inspires me to
play and sparks my creativity and makes me feel good.. It probally
has the best intonation of my ukes.. as you most know in intonation,
most times it's close but no cigar...this one is spot on on every string
amazing uke..it has a sweet sound that I really like...
Now what is your favorite uke that inspires you and why...:(

Congratulations on the Anakoneke uke Stan. Toni builds a very nice uke. So light and resonant. I'm surprised we don't see more of her ukes here.

Wow, you ask tough questions. I love all my ukes, but which one inspires me the most, now? It all depends on my mood of the day, and what I pick up to play. So, what did I pick up last and play today (last night actually)? My Mya-Moe mango super soprano. Tomorrow it will be different one, on Saturday it will be my Moore Bettah soprano.

mm stan
08-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Aloha Miss M,
what strings are you using on the Da Silva...yes a great uke does inspires your creativity when you play
and naturally do new things and learn..finding the right uke that fits you is the main thing among how it
sounds, intonation, comfort and playability...

janeray1940
08-24-2012, 08:29 AM
The DaSilva was designed and built for you and only you. It's the rest of us who are not worthy of that particular instrument.

I'm glad the DaSilva's inspired you to share music with us in the Seasons contests---it's a pleasure to hear you and that wonderful uke make music together.

You are too kind! Thanks so much, your words made my morning :)

janeray1940
08-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Aloha Miss M,
what strings are you using on the Da Silva...yes a great uke does inspires your creativity when you play
and naturally do new things and learn..finding the right uke that fits you is the main thing among how it
sounds, intonation, comfort and playability...

I'm still using the strings Mike shipped it with, which are medium tension fluorocarbon fishing line! I really like them. Similar sound and feel to M600s but a bit higher tension. Took a little getting-used-to, but I think I'm a convert.

mm stan
08-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Wait there's a video of Miss M in the seasons contest playing...on to there right now....woo hoo

mds725
08-24-2012, 09:30 AM
The ukulele I'm enjoying playing the most right now is a pre-owned 2005 Kamaka HF3 tenor, with Worth strings, including a nonwound low G (pictured below), that I bought for myself (mostly because of the unusual grain pattern on the sides and bottom of the lower bout, but also because the sound blew me away) for my birthday last summer at Gryphon Stringed Instruments. For Hawaiian music, I've been playing the Kamaka HF3, strung reentrant, that I bought last spring on Kaua'i, but it's time to swap out the original strings and I haven't gotten around to it yet. (I'm going to try out Ken's Living Water Strings). My pre-owned Kamaka simply booms and has the sweetest tone. The ukulele that has been inspiring me the most, however, is a blemished solid mahogany Pono 6-string tenor I bought on eBay after someone posted about them here on UU. I've become a songwriter, apparently, and I've been doing my writing on my Pono 6-string. I never thought much of 6 strings (why have two paired strings and two unpaired strings, I thought) but I've fallen head over heels for this one. And I say that as someone who owns (and loves) a Kamaka 8 string tenor.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26292&d=1312071050

mds725
08-24-2012, 09:33 AM

I hope you come back to the Bay Area this December for the 2012 edition of San Francisco ukulele Rebellion holiday caroling. I would love to see your new DaSilva in person after having enjoyed the videos you've posted in which you're playing it. And since the DaSilva seems to be your ukulele soulmate, I'd have to agree that you are definitely worthy of it.

PedalFreak
08-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Which uke inspires me the most? My Kamaka Tenor

Why does it? Dude...it's a Kamaka :D

janeray1940
08-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I hope you come back to the Bay Area this December for the 2012 edition of San Francisco ukulele Rebellion holiday caroling. I would love to see your new DaSilva in person after having enjoyed the videos you've posted in which you're playing it. And since the DaSilva seems to be your ukulele soulmate, I'd have to agree that you are definitely worthy of it.

Aw thanks! I hope to get up there sooner, actually, but it's looking iffy, so December it may well me. Do keep me posted of ukulele caroling plans!

And that grain pattern on your Kamaka is lovely.

mm stan
08-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Congratulations on the Anakoneke uke Stan. Toni builds a very nice uke. So light and resonant. I'm surprised we don't see more of her ukes here.

Wow, you ask tough questions. I love all my ukes, but which one inspires me the most, now? It all depends on my mood of the day, and what I pick up to play. So, what did I pick up last and play today (last night actually)? My Mya-Moe mango super soprano. Tomorrow it will be different one, on Saturday it will be my Moore Bettah soprano.
Aloha Doc,
Yes Toni builds excellent ukes....awesome sounds...I'm afraid that she is may not be making ukes anymore as she has not updated her FB and site for a long time...wow you have tough choices
between the Mya Moe Super Mango soprano and your Moore bettah soprano...holy moly you've got a great selection...so you must have a overall favorite...hee hee

mm stan
08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Aloha Mark,
What you have two HF3's holy moly and a eight stringer...but you prefer your Pono....HUH?? hee hee Yeah You know the rich sweetness over mahogany always gets me too....wow
What a sweet lookin' uke Mark....so how many ukes do you have now...tee hee hee

mm stan
08-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Aloha Aaron,
Love my Kamaka Tenors....they sing it's a no brainer....but I got me a white label that sings.. what strings do you have on yours....

Jiva
08-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I love my new KoAloha tenor with pickup...beautiful koa...that inspires me as well as the beautiful sound of this uke.

Plainsong
08-24-2012, 02:26 PM
The one that inspires me the most isn't the best uke I have. It's the workhorse I reach for when I need to quickly plug in, and that's the Risa uke solid tenor. It's the one where I come up with things I didn't know I could come up with, where I concentrate not on how easy or hard it is, but on how it sounds. That uke has been such a help, that while it's not my best uke, it's the one that gets the job done.

mm stan
08-24-2012, 03:46 PM
I love my new KoAloha tenor with pickup...beautiful koa...that inspires me as well as the beautiful sound of this uke.

Aloha Teena,
Ah you are nickster's friend...yes you ust got your KoAloha tenor with the pickup...Glad you are enjoying it soo much...I played many KoAloha tenors, but one in particular just had my finger glued to it...

mm stan
08-24-2012, 03:51 PM
The one that inspires me the most isn't the best uke I have. It's the workhorse I reach for when I need to quickly plug in, and that's the Risa uke solid tenor. It's the one where I come up with things I didn't know I could come up with, where I concentrate not on how easy or hard it is, but on how it sounds. That uke has been such a help, that while it's not my best uke, it's the one that gets the job done.

Aloha Kimmy,
Yes Yes You know what I am talking about....when you pick up and play effortlessly and new techniques just pop up when you are jamming... no effort or thought involved...out of the blues aha
moments...Glad you love your Risa, I have a soprano one...and love it plugged in....

AKuker
08-24-2012, 06:21 PM
My Boat Paddle kayak paduak concert. It sings!

bdukes
08-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Great question. Inspiration for me comes from moving outside my comfort zone or usual habits. A new uke always inspires me as new sounds and techniques seem to flow. The uke, since it entered the fold, that inspires me most is my wife's Kamaka 6 string. Octave C and A, Worth Browns. Great strummer and so unique. I end up doing a lot of "I meant to do that" riffs that inspire me to try and clean up on the HF-3.

Also, as of late, playing outside on a Dolphin has spurred some "inspiration." The neighbors may disagree.

dkcrown
08-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Aloha Bruddah Stan,

This is probably obvious, but for me it is my MB "The Phoenix." The incredibly complex and sweet sound, the unmatched craftsmanship, and the sheer beauty of this ukulele is truly inspirational for me every time I pick it up. I always take a few seconds to admire it before I begin my playing. Along with the meaningful backstory behind its build, it always brings the best out of me when I play it.

mm stan
08-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Aloha AKUker,
Wow A Boat Paddle kayak paduak concert...any pictures...I wanna see...many of us want to...Happy Strummings Glad you love your uke....thank you

mm stan
08-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Aloha Bill,
Yes you get it too...playing out of your comfort zone when it comes naturally and not stressing out and trying to learn things is awesome...I have two kamaka Liliu's.. love them to death
thank you....woo hooo

mm stan
08-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Aloha Bruddah Dana,
You have many inpirational ukes Dana...3 MB's and you make me so jealous...I want one....Chuckie do you hear me??? I am waiting...
Yes I remember your phoenix...it must be your special baby, it's the whole package....I still have the pictures you sent me....yes it has alot of memories already..
I am Gald that is your special baby....Happy Strummings..

PedalFreak
08-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Aloha Aaron,
Love my Kamaka Tenors....they sing it's a no brainer....but I got me a white label that sings.. what strings do you have on yours....

Stan...I picked out my Tenor while in the Islands in March 2011, during the Tsunami scare. Got to play a bunch of them, and mine really stood out. The dealer had it behind the counter, and he shot me a great deal on it. He had it priced much higher than I got it for because of the flame in the wood.

As far as strings I use the Pro Arte J71. Going to try a set of Worth clears on it next. I teach on it and pretty much only play this uke anymore, absolutely love it!

mm stan
08-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Aloha Aaron,
wow A tsunami special kamaka....woo hoo man....now that is some memories for the future...wow wee... how does the Pro Arte J71 sound and how is the tension??
Worth Clears...how about martin m620's yes it that is the only uke you play now....it's gauranteed to be your special uke...Happy Strummings...TY

PedalFreak
08-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Aloha Aaron,
wow A tsunami special kamaka....woo hoo man....now that is some memories for the future...wow wee... how does the Pro Arte J71 sound and how is the tension??
Worth Clears...how about martin m620's yes it that is the only uke you play now....it's gauranteed to be your special uke...Happy Strummings...TY

Yeah, lots of memories from that trip. My back went out on the plane from Oahu to Kaua'i. 7 visits to the Chiropractor in Kapa'a (BTW I highly recommend Smith Chiropractic in Kapa'a, best chiropractor I've ever been to!).

I've tried the Martins. A little to bright for me. The J71's are very balanced, great tension for me I'd say perfect. I would like a little more brightness out of them, not much more. I'm hoping the Worths might do it. But if not I'm content with the J71's :)

Hope your doin good Stan!

mm stan
08-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Aloha Aaron,
Did you try the Ko'olau alohi's then....thicker but nice and sweet...

guitarsnrotts
08-25-2012, 04:09 PM
My early 70s Kamaka soprano. I picked it up for a song, did a little work on it and installed new tuners. It has that sweet koa tone and plays like a dream. I have other ukes but when I need inspired I go back to the Kamaka. It's like picking up my old Martin guitar when I need that little kick.

mm stan
08-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Aloha Guitarsnrotts,
I have a kamaka white label soprano that has amazing sound too.....I mean awesome, but it's not my insirational uke...love it to death...I am glad yours is to you..
I know you know what I mean when I say things come naturally when you are in the zone and jammin'...you feel so comfortable that you just try things outside
your box without really thinking about it.... works for me man..

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
08-25-2012, 05:21 PM
it always brings the best out of me when I play it.

I am humbled by your words. What more could a builder hope for? :) :) :)

hmgberg
08-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Aloha Bruddah Stan,

This is probably obvious, but for me it is my MB "The Phoenix." The incredibly complex and sweet sound, the unmatched craftsmanship, and the sheer beauty of this ukulele is truly inspirational for me every time I pick it up. I always take a few seconds to admire it before I begin my playing. Along with the meaningful backstory behind its build, it always brings the best out of me when I play it.

Perfect! Now I have a great retort for my wife in the event I buy an MB ... "Honey, you want to bring out the best in me, don't you?"

CTurner
08-26-2012, 06:21 AM
I think my main inspiration uke would be the first really nice one I got: my Kanile'a concert K-1. Rob Deel in Virginia pulled it out of a case when Ginny and I were visiting him a few years ago and we both fell instantly in love: the look and sound were so rich and different. There is the tiniest surface crack on one bout now, but it is so easy to play and can make so many sounds.
When it comes to tenor inspiration, it is a close call among my three: Pohaku, Riggio, Lichty. The Lichty was the first all custom uke I ever got and is my only low g. The Riggio is so well made and has great sustain and resonance. But I guess the Pohaku would be the inspirational tenor uke for me, even though it is a 12 fret to body style that I had never tried before. The feel and construction of this tenor is wonderful and with Southcoast strings it has a wonderful bright yet balanced sound. It fits my body and playing so well and responds instantly to mistakes and good stuff!

bodhran
08-26-2012, 06:25 AM
I don't think i am inspired by my ukulele's or by my own playing of any ukulele. What inspires me is listening to any ukulele being played really well.

mm stan
08-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Aloha Craig,
wow you have a few inspirational ukes...I am not as fortunate...maybe I am very picky....You know I will need one day to get a Pohaku too..I have heard great things about them.
I know you have one coming too...wow.. never heard of Riggio and Lichty...will have to look them up...thank you for sharing...that is what makes these threads so nice....Happy Strummings....

mm stan
08-26-2012, 08:12 AM
I don't think i am inspired by my ukulele's or by my own playing of any ukulele. What inspires me is listening to any ukulele being played really well.

Aloha Bodhran,
No worries one day you will find your special ukulele, when you get it, you will know....in the meantime enjoy your journey.....Happy Strummings....

1937Scott
08-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Well Stan,

I'm waiting to see your new 'Blonde' as your inspiration.

My new WW sopranino is a hoot, but I find myself constantly going back to my pocket uke....it's always a pleasant surprise to be able to play something on the little bitty pocket uke that absolutely confounds any other Ukers I know.

So, my Solid Acacia Kala Pocket Uke is still my inspiration. All of my others (um, too many probably) are fun, but I'm happiest playing the small one!

Scott

Teek
08-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Most inspiration in my own ukes is usually the most recent purchase, so my most recent two, the refurbed Pono 6 string and the Maui Music 6 string. They sound so different and they make me be more precise.

Best inspiration is other people who are inspired and who put in the time and effort to grow as players.

Tootler
08-26-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't know about a uke that inspires me, but I do like my Flea.

Dan Uke
08-26-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't have any that inspires me more than any other. I like to play but I don't get attached to things so definitely UAS is waning. However, I do still want a long neck concert.

Anybody want to trade for a tenor?? :p

Pippin
08-26-2012, 11:18 AM
The PINEAPPLE SUNDAY. Papa KoAloha is a man with a vision and a heart of gold. He really has inspired a lot of people, but, he has raised a family that has touched so many lives with their love and kindness. He is a cancer survivor, a loving father, a master-craftsman, and gives his employees a great example to follow. He pours his passion into his musical instruments. The Pineapple Sunday symbolizes all of those qualities and more.

mm stan
08-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Aloha Scott,
Ha Ha...Nice to have my blonde koa uke as my inspiration...now are you saying I need some additional accessory to match it.... bright light went off.....yes yes excellent idea..
Now to think of the design of it, and accessories for the accessory....LOL any ideas... ha ha Glad you are enoying your WW....and kala Happy Strummings..

mm stan
08-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Aloha Teekie,
Woo hoo Two recent 6 string purchases....wow wee holy smokes...I am so happy for you, so tell me which is your favorite between the two that inspires you?? Happy Strummings

mm stan
08-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Aloha Tootler,
I love my fluke too, it has punch.....glad you are enjoying your Flea......Happy Strummings...

mm stan
08-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Aloha Daniel,
I have not tried a long neck concert as of yet....so I can't say....you have not found your inspiration uke yet....No worries keep up tryin' and buyin' ....it will come bruddah....
Now you got me thinking about a super concert....you enabler...ha ha Happy Strummings..

mm stan
08-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Aloha Mickey,
Hope you feeling better bruddah.....wow you got a Pineapple sunday too...how cool.....did not know papa koaloha had the "C" too....thank you for sharing...yes the Okamis have poured
out the aloha spirit in every way.....some positive people to follow...and their secret to success....Happy Strummings...

ChrisRCovington
08-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Right now the ukulele that inspires me the most is my Bruko No. 6. It does so for a few reasons. First is the sound of it: Wonderfully plinky. It has that "ukulele sound." I also love the feel of it. I judge an ukulele based on the sound and the feel of the neck. The smooth creamy maple they use for the neck is awesome and feels great in my hand. Next comes looks. The contast of hog and maple just looks so cool to me. It always catches my eye when I walk by and begs to be strummed. Lastly (and in many ways not least) is the German ohana of Mr. Pfeiffer. i know there are a number of small shop luthiers that have a wonderful ohana but of larger companies I can think of two that really stick out in my mind based on stories I've heard and personal dealings; Bruko and KoAloha. I have heard nothing but great and warm stories about both companies and their ownership. When something is wrong with one of their instruments they make it right, even if that means sending a new instrument at their own cost. Honestly who does stuff like that anymore? Which brings me to my next thought, I plan on getting a KoAlana soprano when they come out (hurry up!!!!!) and i have a feeling the KoAloha ohana might inspire me as well.

mm stan
08-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Aloha Chris,
If you cannot keep your hands off you Brunko, it is the "ONE" I don't know much of them nor have I ever seen one...is it a German made ukulele, or just name and made in china?? let me know
Oh don't forget about Mya Moe....they have the same policy for troubled ukes and pays for the shipping too...wow Yes Get a KoAlana....might as well be on my list too...Happy Strummings..

ChrisRCovington
08-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Yes the Bruko is German made. It is solid mahogany with a maple neck and a really cool peghead veneer. I got mine from Thomman music store online, with shipping from Germany and exchange rate on my credit card for about $180. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a solid mahogany ukulele, made in a country with such a high standard of living, for less. They also offer some very interesting custom ukulele options. I think the company has some sort of family relationship with a major German tonewood supplier in German (Kollitz family).

Mya-Moe seems like a great group of people who take a lot of pride in their work as well. I know they've made a ton of ukuleles but I consider them more of a custom shop compared to someone like KoAloha or Bruko. They are a sort of grey area between 100% custom builder and a factory, in my mind.

Great thread btw, thanks for starting it!

ukunuke
08-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Every night before I go to bed, I spend a few minutes (at least) with my Kanile'a tenor. It just soothes me. I love the Kamaka, and nothing sounds better for sheer punch and fun. But the Kanile'a speaks to my soul. From Elvis to Adele, it seems to know how to settle me in and make me glad to have found such a great uke.

mm stan
08-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Yes the Bruko is German made. It is solid mahogany with a maple neck and a really cool peghead veneer. I got mine from Thomman music store online, with shipping from Germany and exchange rate on my credit card for about $180. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a solid mahogany ukulele, made in a country with such a high standard of living, for less. They also offer some very interesting custom ukulele options. I think the company has some sort of family relationship with a major German tonewood supplier in German (Kollitz family).

Mya-Moe seems like a great group of people who take a lot of pride in their work as well. I know they've made a ton of ukuleles but I consider them more of a custom shop compared to someone like KoAloha or Bruko. They are a sort of grey area between 100% custom builder and a factory, in my mind.

Great thread btw, thanks for starting it!
Aloha Chris,
I have never heard of the Kollitz family and their tone wood business....thank you for sharing....Happy Strummings...

mm stan
08-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Aloha Ukunuke,
Wow two awesome K brands....great choice...oh yeah and your guardian sock monkey...woo hoo what a way to end you day by rewarding yourself with a few strums to unwind...
I assume the sweet tones of the tenor just grabs you and touches you to the bones...Yes Yes I would reguard it as your "the one" uke....thank you for sharing..Happy strummings...

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Aloha Daniel,
I have not tried a long neck concert as of yet....so I can't say....you have not found your inspiration uke yet....No worries keep up tryin' and buyin' ....it will come bruddah....
Now you got me thinking about a super concert....you enabler...ha ha Happy Strummings..

Aloha Stan

I'm thinking it's just my personality...When I got my dream "Fill in the Blank", it brought temporary gratification. Just playing the uke and taking a break from the hustle and bustle of life is satisfaction.

mm stan
08-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Aloha Daniel,
You sound like a very busy person...You know the best time for me to play is about an hour after I get up and had a good night's sleep...I am less stressed and tired and able to focus better..
it is when my creativity is the strongest as my mind is not cluttered....give it a try on your day off... Happy Strummings...

strumsilly
10-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Aloha Dave,

I have ben looking for one for quite awhile. not tatt I can't find one , but I can't find one reasonably priced, so I sprung for[used] a mahog Compass Rose to console me until I do.

Nickie
10-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Wow, some really fine ukes you guys own out there in Ukeland. I can't be very original about this. My inspiration is my only uke, too. My Kala SMHC-C is kinda plain jane to look at, like me. We're good partners. I don't hear with my eyes, thank goodness. This little old thing inspires me to play and sing better all the time (gee, I'm modest, ha ha). I've grown more and more confident each day since I got it, and that's priceless. In fact, the pair of us make up one big ham at jam sessions and parties. Sorry to brag on the same uke all the time, but as long as it can keep up with me (so far, so good) it's the only uke I'll ever, ever need. I'll save a lotta green, huh?

costaricadave
10-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Something about the Moore Bettah that just seems right. I haven't had nearly as many Ukes as most but it just really feels right! I started with a cheap Lanikai then picked up a Mainland. Upgraded to a Kamaka while waiting for my MB to be built. For sure something special about Chucks ukuleles. There is a reason you won't see one for sale or ever hear someone say they aren't happy with them. I am convinced it's ISLAND MAGIC! haha

mm stan
10-11-2012, 01:53 PM
I have ben looking for one for quite awhile. not tatt I can't find one , but I can't find one reasonably priced, so I sprung for[used] a mahog Compass Rose to console me until I do.

Aloha Andy,
Ha Ha What an Excuse...maybe I should use that one too....I know Ricky makes awesome uke....happy Strummings:):iwant::agree:

mm stan
10-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Wow, some really fine ukes you guys own out there in Ukeland. I can't be very original about this. My inspiration is my only uke, too. My Kala SMHC-C is kinda plain jane to look at, like me. We're good partners. I don't hear with my eyes, thank goodness. This little old thing inspires me to play and sing better all the time (gee, I'm modest, ha ha). I've grown more and more confident each day since I got it, and that's priceless. In fact, the pair of us make up one big ham at jam sessions and parties. Sorry to brag on the same uke all the time, but as long as it can keep up with me (so far, so good) it's the only uke I'll ever, ever need. I'll save a lotta green, huh?
Aloha Nickie,
I love my 24.95 rogue.....price is not an issue when we are talking about favorites ukuleles....If your Kala is what you like best, that is real cool girl....Happy Strummings
But don't let a setback on your last custom build make you stop trying to get another and find your next dream uke...

mm stan
10-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Alooha Davey,
Wow you sure don't fool around and went to the top so quickly....yes Moore Bettahs are the holy grails of uke and you are sure fortunate to have gotten one built for you..
Happy Strummings....nothing wrong with Kamakas and Mainlands too.... you sure know how to pick them... how about girls, I can imagine...ha ha Happy Strummings..

costaricadave
10-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Hahaha....Aloha mm stan. I have a very bad habit of getting the best of everything I can get my hands on! Including girls!!! hahaha I used to spend my winters on the North Shore surfing. It has been 7 years and I am itching to get back for a visit!

mm stan
10-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Aloha Dave,
Then You should come right now...the surf is happening over the north and south shores..I can imagine what kind of surfboards you have..ha ha Have surfed before for about 25 years..

costaricadave
10-11-2012, 02:41 PM
My buddy just sent some video from yesterday and today! Looks like an early season!! Ahhhh....Surfboards are another weakness.......Let's just say that a couple North Shore shapers know me by name! haha

fitncrafty
10-11-2012, 02:53 PM
If I answered this a few days ago it may have been a different answer. Today it is my koaloha concert. It is most definitely a sweet sounding uke, sounds great picked and strummed. More than the the fact that it is amazingly beautiful, the beautiful way in which it was gifted to me means more to me than anything. I will treasure it always and remember my kind friends here at uu every time I pick it up...

peaceweaver3
10-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Flea! This one is my only uke after toooo many, that's how inspiring she is. Give more love, and get more love.
Indestructible, cute, small/take anywhere, stays in tune no matter what, can be used as drum in drum circle, people say "Wow is that a lute?" which I think is funny, sounds like a harp at times, intonation perfect as far as I'm concerned...
Love love love! <3

mm stan
10-11-2012, 03:52 PM
If I answered this a few days ago it may have been a different answer. Today it is my koaloha concert. It is most definitely a sweet sounding uke, sounds great picked and strummed. More than the the fact that it is amazingly beautiful, the beautiful way in which it was gifted to me means more to me than anything. I will treasure it always and remember my kind friends here at uu every time I pick it up...
Wow Fitncrafty,
Sounds like you have bonded well with your Koaloha and you are enjoying it....we were pleased we could do that for you girl...Happy Strummings....

mm stan
10-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Flea! This one is my only uke after toooo many, that's how inspiring she is. Give more love, and get more love.
Indestructible, cute, small/take anywhere, stays in tune no matter what, can be used as drum in drum circle, people say "Wow is that a lute?" which I think is funny, sounds like a harp at times, intonation perfect as far as I'm concerned...
Love love love! <3
Aloha peaceweaver3,
I am with you with your flea...I have a fluke and have the same sentiments about mine....just a fun all around ukulele....well worth the price anyday...

strumsilly
10-12-2012, 07:41 AM
my Koaloha concert is my favorite too. it has kind of a straight grain, and I bought it broken and repaired it myself[ so I got a great price] . I liked it so much I sold my Kiwaya KTC-1 because I stopped playing it once I got the KOaloha, and it was an amazing instrument.

sbpark
10-12-2012, 08:38 AM
My Favilla U3 dated to be from somewhere between the 1930's-1940's. I scored this little guy last week. About a year ago I sold both of my ukuleles (KoAloha concert and an Ohana CK-35G) and got back into it after finding the Favilla. It's not a Martin, but it has that old-timey Martin-esque sound, and I paid a bit less than a what a new SK-38 costs, which was the other uke I was considering. Previously being into concert ukes, this soprano has inspired me to learn more about older stuff like Roy Smeck and George Formby.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/sbparker01/IMG_2922.jpg

mm stan
10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Aloha SBPark,
Wow what a score...you got a deal..it looks in great condition...and I just love the vintage sopranos sound too...Happy Strummings and thank you for sharing....