PDA

View Full Version : Smooth vs raw surface

Tobifant
08-24-2012, 05:50 AM
I have no idea if this is the right section, but I'm going to ask anyway. Would be interesting for me to know if there's any difference in quality or durability between ukuleles with a raw, wood-like surface and those, that have a smooth surface.

vanflynn
08-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Are you talking about the finish on the wood? Glossy -vs- satin or matte? If that's it, it is more aesthetics than anything else.

Tobifant
08-24-2012, 06:19 AM
that's exactly what I was talking about :D
thanks alot :D

bazmaz
09-03-2012, 02:47 AM
Disagree, and it depends on the wood. A satin oil rubbed finish on a soft wood like Cedar - or, to an extent, Koa will show knocks and scratches quite easily. That isn't to say gloss wont, but it's generally harder to scratch a gloss instrument.

I have a satin hand rubbed finish on my Kanile'a tenor, and find it quite easy to mark it. If I were to push on the wood with a fingernail I will leave a mark - that won't happen with gloss.

Now, there are also some semi gloss finishes which are kind of a halfway house. My koaloha has this finish and whilst not gloss is very durable.

Then there is the whole argument as to whether gloss or matte sound better, but for me I find that whole debate extremely subjective!

ukebuilder
09-03-2012, 05:23 AM
I would bet that gloss will scratch less due to the pore filling with an epoxy and then a gloss over it. I dont fill under a matte finish. Just a guess but I have good luck either way.