Uninstalling Pegheads

erivel

Reaction score
Uninstalling Pegheds

Just wondering how difficult it would be to have the Pegheds removed from my concert? Are they usually glued in? They are nice, but I prefer the look and functionality of Grover open geared uke tuners.

Last edited:
I can fully understand the "look" thing.
People make comments on old fashioned tuners all the time, but pegheads are are so precise.
My experience is pegheads are much easier to precisely and keep tuned, than my geared tuners.

Just wondering how difficult it would be to have the Pegheads removed from my concert? Are they usually glued in? They are nice, but I prefer the look and functionality of Grover open geared uke tuners.

**GASP**

Everybody is different. I absolutely love peg heads. So easy for tuning and changing strings.

Just wondering how difficult it would be to have the Pegheads removed from my concert? Are they usually glued in? They are nice, but I prefer the look and functionality of Grover open geared uke tuners.

Good thing this is the 21st century - we won't burn you for heresy...

This time.

We'll see what happens after the election in November.

-Kurt​

KIwaya Master 039.jpgUkuleleSale2012 015.jpg

Not a peghead fan here; too cheap looking and plastic. And yes, I have owned Pegheads.

I adore gotoh deluxe friction tuners, E. They are even on my high end Kiwaya (they look dirty in these photos, but those are reflections...they actually sparkle.)

I mention this (as yours is not a thread/question asking for people's opinion on it, but about your swap--you already know your ukes) just in case it's hard to put on or the holes are not right for your Grover gears...then, you might consider Japanese-made Gotoh Deluxe frictions so you don't have to fiddle with the holes (maybe). Smooth, tight, no tuning issues, and look like a million bucks. Although heavier than Pegheads, its not noticeable on a concert or tenor, and they are bulletproof.

Here they are at Elderly--chrome, gold, etc. (scroll down)

http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=GOTOH+DELUXE+UKULELE+TUNERS&x=14&y=13

http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/

Again, NOT to change your mind--just an option if Grovers wont work, Eric.

Last edited:
Aren't the holes tapered to install the pegheads?

I can fully understand the "look" thing.
People make comments on old fashioned tuners all the time, but pegheads are are so precise.
My experience is pegheads are much easier to precisely and keep tuned, than my geared tuners.

How can that be? Pegheds are 4:1 ratio, even the most basic geared tuners are 12:1 ratio. It's NOT possible for a 4:1 ratio tuner to be more precise than a 12:1 ratio tuner (unless the 12:1 is a total piece of JUNK).

Jimmy

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Also wondering if the diameter of the holes left by the Pegheads would be smaller or larger than the Grover bushings.

Peghed holes will be smaller at around 7mm to 7.5mm depending upon the model. The Grover bushings will be about 9mm+, so you'll be fine. Most people want to switch from tradition geared or friction tuners and that's where you run into difficulties.

Peghed holes will be smaller at around 7mm to 7.5mm depending upon the model. The Grover bushings will be about 9mm+, so you'll be fine. Most people want to switch from tradition geared or friction tuners and that's where you run into difficulties.

Just the answer I was looking for. Thanks Chuck!!

View attachment 42181View attachment 42182

Not a peghead fan here; too cheap looking and plastic. And yes, I have owned Pegheads.

I adore gotoh deluxe friction tuners, E. They are even on my high end Kiwaya (they look dirty in these photos, but those are reflections...they actually sparkle.)

I mention this (as yours is not a thread/question asking for people's opinion on it, but about your swap--you already know your ukes) just in case it's hard to put on or the holes are not right for your Grover gears...then, you might consider Japanese-made Gotoh Deluxe frictions so you don't have to fiddle with the holes (maybe). Smooth, tight, no tuning issues, and look like a million bucks. Although heavier than Pegheads, its not noticeable on a concert or tenor, and they are bulletproof.

same here, i just never liked it. i tried one on a Mya-Moe soprano.

How much for the pegheads? ;-) Seriously, I've had them all, pegheads be the best and lightest. Just a great product.

Nice part of about regular geared tuners is that every time you open the case the first song that pops in your head is "how's the leader of the club that's made for you and me.... "

Contact Craftedcow,
He is the owner and he is a member here...no speculation...mine came out easy...maybe they ukes little glue on mine...

Hey Chuck thanks for using the right spelling for the Peghed tuners..

Eric...Wondering if you ever did change out those Pegheds? Was it difficult?

I would like to change out Pegheds on a uke I have, too.

How exactly did you go from 7mm to 9mm...did you drill it on your own, power drill, reamer? Thanks

View attachment 42181View attachment 42182

I'm with you on my lack of aesthetic understanding of pegheads.

Bernunzio has a Martin koa vintage with--gasp--pegheads. That's the first thing I'd want removed if I bought it, but I worry it's not reversable...

Eric...Wondering if you ever did change out those Pegheds? Was it difficult?

I would like to change out Pegheds on a uke I have, too.

How exactly did you go from 7mm to 9mm...did you drill it on your own, power drill, reamer? Thanks

Steve,

No never did. I ended up selling the uke...

Top Bottom