Cats and Ukulele Re-Stringing

ukulelecowboy

Reaction score
Our newly adopted all-black domestic short hair, Pandora, is still very much a kitten although an adult cat. She enjoys our company, is very inquisitive and I find that I can't successfully re-string any of our ukuleles without her "help."

Easy solution: put her out of the room. I would. But honestly, it's so darn cute...

Just wanted to relate.

IMG_0721.jpg

Every time I change strings, my fuzzy brother Dale sits as close to the uke as he can, stares intently at the strings---especially as I wind them up---and purrs loudly.

I think my cats are jealous of my ukulele. They scowl at me and the interloper who's taken over their valuable lap (they don't like my laptop either).

What a relief! I was afraid that this was going to be a discussion about "catgut". :biglaugh:

My dogs - two retired racer greyhounds who sometimes act more like cats than dogs - also like to "help" me restring. It can be an interesting challenge to string a ukulele with two 65 pound dogs shoving their faces in my lap at the same time.

Our newly adopted all-black domestic short hair, Pandora, is still very much a kitten although an adult cat. She enjoys our company, is very inquisitive and I find that I can't successfully re-string any of our ukuleles without her "help."

Easy solution: put her out of the room. I would. But honestly, it's so darn cute...

Just wanted to relate.

IMG_0721.jpg

Great picture Mike!
Fortunately for me my cat knows the word 'out' when I point to the door while restringing my ukes. :)

Pandora is adorable. :)

I usually close the door when I restring. I am always worried one of the cats will try to eat a string - I have one that makes Christmas and birthday presents a challenge. We usually go ribbonless since she tries to chew on them.

Plus, when I restring the Kanilea the bridge pins have been known to shoot across the room. If the boy cat found it, instant cat toy and I would never find it again.

Such a cutie pie!! I have her brother from a different mother. My little Gabriel looks just like her and yes, he too likes to help me restring the guitar and uke.

I have one of those handy little black musician's helpers, too. I do prefer to sequester the cats in another room when I'm changing strings, although nylon uke strings don't worry me as much as steel strings.
.jpg

My helpers are siamese. They haven't gotten on to the table when I'm restringing but they are very curious and I have had to race one to a cut string that zoomed across the room onto the floor. Two of my cats seem to really love the uke and when I'm playing they will squeeze themselves onto my lap and stay even if I bop one on the head on an aggressive strum.

Nix

I haven't tried to restring in front of our new cat yet but I'm almost certain that it wouldn't be pretty. She has this thing with string and trying to annihilate it beyond recognition :).

Here's my li'l fuzzy helper disrupting a theatrical discussion. T'aint the uke, but I wouldn't let her do this to one of my ukes.

Top Bottom