Is there an alternative to Bm?

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
Is there another chord that sounds like it? doesn't have to be exact, but close enough. Like the E and the E7. I love the E7, hate the E. They sound almost the same and E7 is loads easier for me to form. It's all about modification for me.

7675 is a higher bm the uses all of your fingers if the bar is the challenge. Otherwise Gmaj7 will get you pretty close.

Are you doing Bm as index finger bar the entire fret 2, and ring finger on 4th fret G string.

it's fairly straighforward that way

Last edited:
Ya know what? I have tried and tried and tried to play the Bm for over a year, and all I can get is a muted sound. I go to bed frustrated that I will never be a good uke player because I simply cannot get a good sound from some difficult (for me) chords. Playing alternative chords that sound so similar that noone can tell has liberated me. I am a much happier player and isn't that what playing this instrument is all about? Who cares if I am not playing the exact chord. Since I have adopted this method and can now play all my songs with ease and without stopping, I am a happy ukulele player.

Last edited:
Do you have the same problem with other barred chords?

There is nothing wrong with playing a different Bm than most people tend to do as a first option. I personally like being able to play each chord in a few different ways and positions, so I can use each at their right time and find the right sound for what I'm trying to do. And even the first position chords have those times when they are the best sounding option, so I'd be concerned if I couldn't play one of them.

Maybe your index finger isn't placed in the right position if your getting a muted sound. When I first started playing guitar years ago I didn't think I would ever get bar chords and get a clean sound but after a lot of practice and correct index finger placement it was a breeze. When I started playing uke the bar chords were a lot easier then guitar. Have you had anyone show how to tilt your index finger on the frets when making bar chords to get a clean sound.

This is a pig of a chord for me too! Having found quite a few Springsteen songs use Bm I've resigned myself to having to learn it well.

I hate barring chords because I find I have to completely change my entire arm position, so I went for index on E & A with middle and ring on C & G. It is a real struggle still after months of trying so I think I'm going to have to introduce the little finger to the fretboard for the first time! Two concerns with this; 1. Finger tip ache again... 2. I used to box in my youth and I've lost count of the times I've broken the finger and Meta Carpal below too so it will be still as hell and sore for a while, However it does already sound better than any other method I've tried.

Good luck with which ever way you go.

Place your index finger right next to the fret and tilt it back just a little towards the nut or headstock. Don't place it flat on the fingerboard. Try just barring all 4 strings with index finger first without placing any other fingers down and work on getting a good sound that way first and when the sound is no longer muted then you can start working on adding other fingers to change the chord.
It may take a while but don't give up you'll get it.

Also make sure your index finger is straight, Tilted back a little and right next to the fret wire. You may have to push a little harder at first but after a while you'll find you can Bar with very little pressure.

I can play most barred chords with no problem. I had a heck of a time with the Bb at first and kept at it until I could play it without hesitating. It's not barring the chord that is difficult for me, it's forming the chord without hesitating. Hesitating in a song really ruins the song I think. Because I have arthritis in my hands, I have to piggyback some barred chords to be able to get enough pressure on the string to get a clean sound. The Bm is just something that throws a wrench into it all and I am delighted to have an alternative. Thanks a million for all your advice. Until my next dilema, I have to practice now. ;0)

Laying your middle finger ontop of the barring index finger might give you some added pressure for a cleaner sound.

Most people go about barre chords the wrong way in my view, desperately trying to press down for all they're worth. If you're doing a barre chord right, most of the pressure should come from the thumb clamped firmly onto the back of the neck, and you should be feeling it in your wrist. You can't get enough downward pressure any other way, you're just moving the neck backwards while pushing. Keep the neck still with your thumb, press your index finger down relatively lightly, it'll work eventually.

Keep practicing, you'll get there :)

When you play Barre chords you should use the two sections of your finger closest to your hand. If you try to play with your with the top of the finger you won't get enough leverage. Check out Gerald Ross's Beginning Swing Ukulele video. He does an excellent job of explaining how to make Barre chords.

When I bar The tip of my index finger finger is about a 1/4 inch past the G string.

Last edited:
I can play most barred chords with no problem. I had a heck of a time with the Bb at first and kept at it until I could play it without hesitating. It's not barring the chord that is difficult for me, it's forming the chord without hesitating. Hesitating in a song really ruins the song I think. Because I have arthritis in my hands, I have to piggyback some barred chords to be able to get enough pressure on the string to get a clean sound. The Bm is just something that throws a wrench into it all and I am delighted to have an alternative. Thanks a million for all your advice. Until my next dilema, I have to practice now. ;0)
If this is the case....Get a fast neck...thin and narrow...some white label kamakas, vintage martins, oscar schmidt OU2, rogue...etc

Top Bottom