PDA

View Full Version : 28th Season - Are you Brittni's and Kris's favorite? Who's the next UU Idol?

Pages : [1] 2

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Billboard Top 100 US Singles Plus a Few More!!! Who’s the next UU Idol!! :rock:

This Weeks Theme
I love the uke and I believe one of the main reasons why people don’t play the uke is that they have never been exposed or they never heard their favorite song played!! We can change that this week by playing any song from the U.S. Billboard Top 100 Singles and show that the uke sounds good for any song!! The songs are listed right here:

http://acharts.us/us_singles_top_100/

I’ve seen a few videos but we have so many talented UU ukers and my goal is that someone listens to YOUR VIDEO and becomes a uke lover for life!! How awesome would that be!!

WE HAVE TWO CELEBRITY JUDGES!!

BRITTNI PAIVA http://www.brittnipaiva.com/home.cfm

KRIS FUCHIGAMI http://www.krisfuchigami.com/

One final song I will include is this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

If this song can get 55 Million Hits in a month and it’s a foreign language to many of us, I figure a good version on ukulele can get at least 10 Million Hits!!

PARAMETERS
It must be a new video!!
The Ukulele must be the main instrument & You have to write or state it’s for Season 28 of the Ukulele (Front, Part of the Song, Back)
Post your videos in this thread

Also, in the body section of Youtube, it would be cool if you put http://ukuleleunderground.com so that someone new knows where to go if they are interested in the uke.

JUDGING CRITERIA
Points will be awarded as follows:
10 Points: Song Choice: 10 pts for songs listed 1-10, 9 pts for 11-20, 8 pts for 21-30 and down the list. Brittni and Gangnam Style will get 10 pts
10 Points: “Title of Song” as the title of your Youtube Video – You are not required to put 28th Season on the title but you do have to put the Title of the Song. Don’t forget to put your disclaimers for copyright laws!!
25 Points: Emotional Factor: How do I feel after hearing the song? Brittni says that with musicians can “Mess with other People’s Soul! We can make people feel happy, We can make them feel sad or angry” It is not purely based on how well you play. If you had fun, I’m sure I had fun watching it!!!!
5 Points: Set and Costume

** BONUS POINTS **
Each additional song gets 1 point (Must still have title of song). However, you have to state which song is your official entry, I want to thank Ukuloonie for making an entry list and a bonus list (He gets 1 bonus pt). Perform a song with someone else and get add’l 2 point for main entry.

JUDGING
I will pick the top 10 scorers and then pick 3 names out of a box as winners.

Brittni and Kris will pick their favorite performance and that person will automatically win a prize. How awesome is it to know that your video is Brittni’s or Kris' favorite?

Then I will put the 5 winners back in the box and pick the order for prizes.

PRIZES
We all love Ukukulele Underground so here are the prizes: http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/

1st and 2nd Place: UU Sweatshirt of your choice

3rd thru 5th Place: T-shirt of your choice

The first place winner can choose which prize they want, followed by the second then the third.

Just send me a PM with your name and address and I will pay everything including shipping to any country in the world!!! This contest is not sponsored by UU.

DEADLINE:
12 PM HAWAII TIME, SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 2ND

Have fun folks and let's show the world how awesome the uke is!!

ENTRIES PLAYLIST: Check Often as it will be updated!!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE090049870D15411&feature=edit_ok

BONUS PLAYLIST: Check Often as it will be updated!!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFE8B92D12BD3279&feature=edit_ok

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Doug was kind of enough to PM a few days ago telling me it's ok to post the contest Friday night or early Saturday so that people can have time to practice. We all know how difficult it is to learn a new song in a new genre in a week. Thanks Doug!

The Contest doesn't officially start until Sunday

uke4ia
08-25-2012, 07:50 AM
That Song Choice criteria is going to cut way down on the variety of songs you get this week. Everyone will want to do the same 10 songs.

janeray1940
08-25-2012, 07:50 AM
The Brittni thing is totally cool - way to go!

I've never heard a single song on that list, or for that matter, a song by any of the performers on that list. Any chance I can use a Billboard Hot 100 list from a year when I was actually listening to the radio? Maybe 1972??

Just kidding. Said it before, saying it again - I'm old :)

austin1
08-25-2012, 07:56 AM
I don't know any of the songs either, because most of them haven't made it to this side of the pond yet, but a quick youtube seach has already revealed a couple good ones :)

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 07:57 AM
The Brittni thing is totally cool - way to go!

I've never heard a single song on that list, or for that matter, a song by any of the performers on that list. Any chance I can use a Billboard Hot 100 list from a year when I was actually listening to the radio? Maybe 1972??

Just kidding. Said it before, saying it again - I'm old :)

I'm 41 so we are similar in age! Quoting Whitney, "I believe the children are our future Teach them well and let them lead the way" HAHA

We gotta show them how cool the uke is and on the flip side, we might pique their curiosity by seeing an older person playing "Whistle" LOL

That's what's great about Every Season, New Week, New Challenge!

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 08:05 AM
That Song Choice criteria is going to cut way down on the variety of songs you get this week. Everyone will want to do the same 10 songs.

That's why their's 25 pts for emotion factor! I figure many people will pick a song they like. Secondly, I'm giving bonus pts for each add'l song. If you do 10 songs, I figure you have a very good chance to be a finalist. It's not all about winning but I did it this way to also bring exposure to the more popular songs! Besides, I would love to hear some of you push the boundries!!

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I don't know any of the songs either, because most of them haven't made it to this side of the pond yet, but a quick youtube seach has already revealed a couple good ones :)

I know you'll do an awesome job as you've done Justin Bieber, Cee Lo, Rebecca Black in the past!!

austin1
08-25-2012, 08:12 AM
I know you'll do an awesome job as you've done Justin Bieber, Cee Lo, Rebecca Black in the past!!

there's something that never gets old about playing horrible pop music on the uke :D

TCK
08-25-2012, 08:13 AM
I'm buying a round for the first person to do "Truck Yeah" with a straight face

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm buying a round for the first person to do "Truck Yeah" with a straight face

You do love your country!!

The hardest thing for me is that I don't listen to these songs either so I'm gonna have to watch your video and the original video!

I just listened to it and it's catchy!

austin1
08-25-2012, 08:18 AM
any chance we could multitrack this week? just the one time? pretty pretty please?

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 08:20 AM
any chance we could multitrack this week? just the one time? pretty pretty please?

NEW RULES!!!

It must be a new video!!
The Ukulele must be the main instrument & state at the beginning it’s for Season 28 of the Ukulele

Three simple rules!

TCK
08-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Hahaha- I was kidding mate, that ain't country. It is however hilarious, and I really want to see 23Skidoo do it ;)
You do love your country!!

The hardest thing for me is that I don't listen to these songs either so I'm gonna have to watch your video and the original video!

I just listened to it and it's catchy!

austin1
08-25-2012, 08:36 AM
NEW RULES!!!

It must be a new video!!
The Ukulele must be the main instrument & state at the beginning it’s for Season 28 of the Ukulele

Three simple rules!

I love you.

Fermin
08-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Do we get bonus points for throwing up while playing?

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Do we get bonus points for throwing up while playing?

Haha...I'm sure you'll get points for the emotion factor!! :p

TCK
08-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Wait- one of the rules is to put the song title as the title of the video? You do know that every video posted in the US is going to get pulled in seconds right?

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Wait- one of the rules is to put the song title as the title of the video? You do know that every video posted in the US is going to get pulled in seconds right?

Yup, that's the tricky part and that's why I mention about the copyright disclaimers and so forth. There's many covers of the songs. I would appreciate if someone could post the best fail proof disclaimer so that people can copy and paste. Nothing is fail proof but there's tons of videos of popular songs.

janeray1940
08-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Yeah really - FWIW, I posted a video of me playing Bach's Minuet in G a while back. Within minutes - MINUTES - I got a takedown notice because some band nobody's ever heard of claimed copyright infringement over the word "minuet." They don't mess around.

Fermin
08-25-2012, 09:07 AM

There are thousands of covers posted on the US with the song title as the video title that don't get pulled, or if they do it takes a while.

You can add something like this and they wouldn't bother you:

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976: allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, and teaching. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

My videos are for private practice and feedback, and I derive no income of any kind from them."

Or you can upload the video as unlisted, so that only those with the link (us) would see it. Videos get taken down only when someone reports them.

Fermin
08-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Yup, that's the tricky part and that's why I mention about the copyright disclaimers and so forth. There's many covers of the songs. I would appreciate if someone could post the best fail proof disclaimer so that people can copy and paste. Nothing is fail proof but there's tons of videos of popular songs.

I don't know if it's the best or not, but a player I'm subscribed to, who had his original channel taken down due to several copyright infringements, uses the one I just posted on his new channel. He's had it for over a year, reposted all the videos from his old channel, and hasn't had a problem since.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Great challenge. Spent the morning listening to the top twenty or so. Quite a few fun songs in there. Whee!

mattydee
08-25-2012, 01:59 PM
I LOVE this challenge.

ukuleledaveey
08-25-2012, 02:48 PM
got my song picked and already learning the intro at 00.45 AM but i bet someone else is gonna do it and will blow me out the water lol :)

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 02:52 PM
got my song picked and already learning the intro at 00.45 AM but i bet someone else is gonna do it and will blow me out the water lol :)

Dave, it's all about the Emotional Factor and you bring out the emotions out of all of us!!

ukuleledaveey
08-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Dave, it's all about the Emotional Factor and you bring out the emotions out of all of us!!

lol :biglaugh: but are they good or bad emotions he he great theme by the way, some tough songs to cover in there, but i was drawn to one straight away, cant wait to get my teeth into it tomorrow :)

TCK
08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Videos get taken down only when someone reports them. It is my understanding that Content ID and verification is software driven, not based on complaints. It literally takes them seconds to flag material (especially popular material). More on that here (http://www.youtube.com/t/copyright_owners)
Just seems silly to invite that kind of scrutiny- you know, a disclaimer you wrote means absolutely nothing to the RIAA or the fine folks that brought you DMCA

Fermin
08-25-2012, 04:14 PM
They may say it's software driven, but seeing how many videos stay up I tend to doubt that.

About the disclaimers, this guy reposted everything he had on his original channel and makes new videos of copyrighted songs. The only difference, other than his channel name, is he added the disclaimer. I've heard of other people who appealed the decision to take down some of their videos saying they were uploading the songs under fair use and they were reinstated. The disclaimer does mean a lot. They don't want it to mean anything to them, they will do whatever they can to take you down and will do if you don't know the rights you do have, but if you show you do know the protection you have, there's nothing they can do. After all, what the law aims to prevent is someone making a profit from material not owned by them, or keeping the copyright holders from making their profit. I doubt a chance to win a t-shirt can be seen as profit, or that any teenage girl would not buy Justin Bieber's latest single because they already saw you playing it.

And anyway, as I said, you can always list them as private. Those don't get taken down. Believe me, I've seen private videos that violate Youtube rules in much worse ways....

Dougf
08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
For me, this will probably be the toughest challenge of all. But I'll give it a shot, see what happens.

One possible way of avoiding the copyright patrol might be to make the video unlisted instead of public. Of course, if you're going for a million views, that won't work as well. :)

ukuloonie
08-25-2012, 06:01 PM
I'll just go for it anyways and see what happens

peewee
08-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm going to have to text my teenage niece for help on this one..

chrimess
08-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Brittni Was a great judge for the Hawaiian challenge of the original six seasons- very good to have her back.

chrimess
08-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Is it okay to play a Koaloha uke this week?

Ukeval
08-25-2012, 07:05 PM
I have not heard one from this list (we don't have the same charts here) and I'm just a picker. So week off for me (but I posted so much for the 27th...)
See you later !

ksiegel
08-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Yeah, and I asked John if I could use that exact phrasing, and he told me to go ahead -"After all, I didn't copyright it."

So I use it myself, and haven't had a problem.

-Kurt

You can add something like this and they wouldn't bother you:

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976: allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, and teaching. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

My videos are for private practice and feedback, and I derive no income of any kind from them."

I don't know if it's the best or not, but a player I'm subscribed to, who had his original channel taken down due to several copyright infringements, uses the one I just posted on his new channel. He's had it for over a year, reposted all the videos from his old channel, and hasn't had a problem since.

myrnaukelele
08-25-2012, 07:24 PM
For me, this will probably be the toughest challenge of all. But I'll give it a shot, see what happens.

One possible way of avoiding the copyright patrol might be to make the video unlisted instead of public. Of course, if you're going for a million views, that won't work as well. :)
Also, I'm not sure if this helps but if I'm worried about possible copyright patrol action I simply name my movie 28th Season or whatever and after it's approved and up I edit the title to the name of the song. I also post it in People and Blogs instead of Music. So far it's always worked...

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 07:34 PM
I have not heard one from this list (we don't have the same charts here) and I'm just a picker. So week off for me (but I posted so much for the 27th...)
See you later !

Sad to hear as picking always work. Jake, Kris, Brittni, pick their songs and don't sing! I'm sure if this goes 52 weeks, there will be a few weeks where we are clueless but let's all try! It's not about just winning but being able to adapt and learn. It's fun!

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Brittni Was a great judge for the Hawaiian challenge of the original six seasons- very good to have her back.

I did not know that. That is cool that she is coming back. I only started on River Week and have been hooked ever since. Most weeks I struggle but I'm determined to go all the way to Week 52!!

Ukeval
08-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Sad to hear as picking always work. Jake, Kris, Brittni, pick their songs and don't sing! I'm sure if this goes 52 weeks, there will be a few weeks where we are clueless but let's all try! It's not about just winning but being able to adapt and learn. It's fun!
Yes of course I can pick songs (and I could try to sing too...) but the chart list is chinese for me... ;-) No song I even know. Anyway Ill be back next week to job, so perhaps for another season, and I'll learn a lot I'm sure listening to this one.

erivel
08-25-2012, 10:16 PM
NEW RULES!!!

It must be a new video!!

Three simple rules!

Okay, I'm a little slow here. Was that a yes to multitracking?

Dan Uke
08-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Okay, I'm a little slow here. Was that a yes to multitracking?

YES!! The Season has officially started!! I would love to hear a song from you as your 80s stuff is awesome and Grease is my favorite movie!! You got talent!!

erivel
08-25-2012, 10:25 PM
YES!! The Season has officially started!! I would love to hear a song from you as your 80s stuff is awesome and Grease is my favorite movie!! You got talent!!

Thanks dude! So little time this week...but I'm gonna try really hard to get something up.

Tootler
08-26-2012, 04:52 AM
Yeah really - FWIW, I posted a video of me playing Bach's Minuet in G a while back. Within minutes - MINUTES - I got a takedown notice because some band nobody's ever heard of claimed copyright infringement over the word "minuet." They don't mess around.

There's no way they can claim that under any country's copyright law. A minuet is an eighteenth century dance. Did you challenge them?

I've never had a takedown notice though I've had a few matched content notices, several of them on traditional songs. I always challenge the ones on traditional songs and so far they have removed the notices. The others just mean that you will see ads if you play those videos.

Make sure you challenge them over the Bach Minuet, point to backup evidence in your challenge.

Tootler
08-26-2012, 05:10 AM
I'm with Ukeval.

The list of songs is a total mystery to me as our pop charts are different. In addition, I stopped taking an interest in current pop in the early 1990s as I found it less and less appealing.

I listened to a few tracks and nothing inspired me so I am out for this week.

I shall watch the entries with interest, though, when I get the time.

janeray1940
08-26-2012, 06:42 AM
There's no way they can claim that under any country's copyright law. A minuet is an eighteenth century dance. Did you challenge them?

Yeah I did, complete with sarcastic reply, and the notice went away within a couple of days and all was well. But still - it was a hassle, and I had to respond because the threat was that if I didn't, my YT channel would be shut down in 48 hours or something like that, so I couldn't just ignore it.

Dan Uke
08-26-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm with Ukeval.

The list of songs is a total mystery to me as our pop charts are different. In addition, I stopped taking an interest in current pop in the early 1990s as I found it less and less appealing.

I listened to a few tracks and nothing inspired me so I am out for this week.

I shall watch the entries with interest, though, when I get the time.

Hi Geoff

Stay engaged as I really enjoy your words of encouragement and I'm sure everyone feels the same way.

Tootler
08-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Yeah I did, complete with sarcastic reply, and the notice went away within a couple of days and all was well. But still - it was a hassle, and I had to respond because the threat was that if I didn't, my YT channel would be shut down in 48 hours or something like that, so I couldn't just ignore it.

I'm glad it worked out OK in the end, but I agree it is a hassle. This kind of over zealous chasing up of alleged copyright infringement is totally unnecessary. (or is it just trying it on, hoping to intimidate - in other words, bullying? I wonder). I notice you had the same response as I have had - nothing, just the notice going away. You'd think that someone would have the courtesy to apologise.

nscafe
08-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Is it okay to play a Koaloha uke this week?

Was it ever not okay to play a KoAloha?

OldePhart
08-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Heh, heh. Read through the first ten or twenty in that list before I was sure the artist was listed first and the song second. I guess I'm a bit out of date... :biglaugh:

uke4ia
08-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Did you notice the links to the top hits in other countries on the right side of that web page? Some of those are pretty intriguing. For instance, #2 in Finland is "Lämpöö" by Bradi and Redrama. Do you know that one, Rob?

Lykke Li is #2 in Switzerland with "I Follow Rivers". "I Follow Rivers" is #1 in Austria, but there it's played by Triggerfinger. Bulgaria's list is behind the times, "Rolling in the Deep" is still at #7 there.

Edit: Whatdyaknow, "Lämpöö" is Finnish rap!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOE-uSesHn4

Tootler
08-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Did you notice the links to the top hits in other countries on the right side of that web page? Some of those are pretty intriguing. For instance, #2 in Finland is "Lämpöö" by Bradi and Redrama. Do you know that one, Rob?

Lykke Li is #2 in Switzerland with "I Follow Rivers". "I Follow Rivers" is #1 in Austria, but there it's played by Triggerfinger. Bulgaria's list is behind the times, "Rolling in the Deep" is still at #7 there.

Edit: Whatdyaknow, "Lämpöö" is Finnish rap!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOE-uSesHn4

I had a look at the UK list and was intrigued to find Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Oasis, The Kinks and one or two other oldies in the list - Olympic opening/closing ceremony effect. When I checked again just now, the list has been updated and quite a few of those have dropped out but are listed as such at the bottom.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Number two with a bullet...

http://youtu.be/d6_LUG3SIUo

chrimess
08-26-2012, 03:39 PM
You, my friend are not just invisble, but also wise.

Was it ever not okay to play a KoAloha?

uke4ia
08-26-2012, 05:54 PM
My daughter has started a series of posts on her Facebook page called "Weird Internet crap my father shows me." The "Gangnam Style" video just went on it.

wolfchs
08-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Awesome job Ralf! I was thinking of doing Wild Ones... wish you were here to do the Flo-rida part with me :o

Fermin
08-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Can the songs be repeated? I imagine most of us will want to do the top 10, but some don't have the time to record them right away.

I still haven't decided if I will take part, I'm really not quite motivated by the songs in the chart... And my playing skills are more likely to do justice to those songs than to any of Brittni's... :S

TCK
08-26-2012, 07:05 PM
All that stuff they say about polish and what you can and cannot do with it...all lies! Ralf,you just made that turd of a song shine man. Fantastic

Dan Uke
08-26-2012, 07:22 PM

Ralf

Thanks for submitting the first entry and I didn't realize how much talent you have. Personally, it's hard for me to whistle a tune without being sharp and flat all over the place. That was awesome and I liked that you said 28th Season at the end instead of the beginning. I can't wait for your next entry as you really engage with the viewers with your camera presence!

Dan Uke
08-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Can the songs be repeated? I imagine most of us will want to do the top 10, but some don't have the time to record them right away.

I still haven't decided if I will take part, I'm really not quite motivated by the songs in the chart... And my playing skills are more likely to do justice to those songs than to any of Brittni's... :S

You can do the same song as I don't have a problem with it as my goal is to reach as many non-ukulele players with these songs. Prizes are a by product and I am looking forward to your entry. I figure if we've tried French and Spanish, Rap will be the new challenge for all of us!!

Dan Uke
08-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Hahaha- I was kidding mate, that ain't country. It is however hilarious, and I really want to see 23Skidoo do it ;)

23Skidoo can do any song well, especially if he wears his son's mask. LOL. JK

erivel
08-26-2012, 10:15 PM

Brilliantly done Ralf! Way to start off the week!

23skidoo
08-27-2012, 05:32 AM

ummmmm..... no. :)

23skidoo
08-27-2012, 05:39 AM

Excellent, Ralf! You're setting the bar quite high with this one.... great vibe and tons of fun... just right.....

23skidoo
08-27-2012, 05:44 AM
My daughter has started a series of posts on her Facebook page called "Weird Internet crap my father shows me." The "Gangnam Style" video just went on it.

my kids are hooked on it - we watch it every morning before school..... the breakfast of champions....

My 5 year old son has taken to walking around singing 'heeeeeeeeeeeey sexy lady- oop oop oop oop oop oop - oopa Gangnam Style!' Not sure if this is good or bad, but it is a truly entertaining video.....

23skidoo
08-27-2012, 05:47 AM
23Skidoo can do any song well, especially if he wears his son's mask. LOL. JK

thanks, Daniel, but Jackson (the little guy in my avatar) is hopefully going to be wearing the mask this week..... we've already got a tune picked out and we're going to try and get the whole family involved..... and I can't resist the multitrack......

glass
08-27-2012, 06:06 AM

Nice stuff Ralf, truly an inspiration!!!

roxhum
08-27-2012, 06:26 AM
Oh man, that was excellent! A great start for the week. Ralf I always enjoy your videos. I love your style.

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 06:50 AM
thanks, Daniel, but Jackson (the little guy in my avatar) is hopefully going to be wearing the mask this week..... we've already got a tune picked out and we're going to try and get the whole family involved..... and I can't resist the multitrack......

I love seeing the family performances!! I hope your video goes viral!

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 06:57 AM

If either one of you make a reaction video, you could get more hits than all your videos combined! Very sad but that's the whole reason why this season was born so we could reach the mass!! Gotta go out to them instead of expecting them to all of sudden want to play the uke.

This video was created yesterday and already 150 views!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3UZGF4Q5I

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 07:05 AM
I know this week is tough for all of you but don't get discouraged!

I listen to sports radio 95% of the time but because of this week, I've been listening to the popular pop and hiphop stations trying to famialirize myself with the entries that are going to swarm in on Sat and Sun!!

CoLmes
08-27-2012, 07:06 AM
I've actually been working on one of these songs thats listed. Hopefully I can finish it in time :D

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 07:46 AM
I've actually been working on one of these songs thats listed. Hopefully I can finish it in time :D

Hope you enter and I'm sure your video quality will be top notch as it seems like you are the official photo / video guy UWC and great work at NAMM for Ukeeku. I have a Canon 7D and "L" lens and my stuff isn't as good as yours!! Proves it's the photographer and not the camera!!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Awesome job Ralf! I was thinking of doing Wild Ones... wish you were here to do the Flo-rida part with me :o

Not so easy for me---my hip hop role models are Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash, and Public Enemy. Not as many tongue twisters in those old school rhymes.

All that stuff they say about polish and what you can and cannot do with it...all lies! Ralf,you just made that turd of a song shine man. Fantastic

Gross. Thanks.

Ralf

Thanks for submitting the first entry and I didn't realize how much talent you have. Personally, it's hard for me to whistle a tune without being sharp and flat all over the place. That was awesome and I liked that you said 28th Season at the end instead of the beginning. I can't wait for your next entry as you really engage with the viewers with your camera presence!

Now that I've secured the "top ten" points, I'm looking further down the chart for bonus tracks. Whee. Thanks for hosting this Season!

Brilliantly done Ralf! Way to start off the week!

I tried (and failed) for weeks to get the first video submitted during the original Six Seasons. If only my February self could see me now; February me would be so proud.

Excellent, Ralf! You're setting the bar quite high with this one.... great vibe and tons of fun... just right.....

Nice stuff Ralf, truly an inspiration!!!

Oh man, that was excellent! A great start for the week. Ralf I always enjoy your videos. I love your style.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Looking forward to seeing more Seasonistas' pop stylings all week.

janeray1940
08-27-2012, 08:48 AM

Proof that the ukulele can make anything sound great! I actually listened to this all the way through and enjoyed it, but when I looked up the "official" video I turned it off within about 2 bars' worth of Flo Rida's vocals.

austin1
08-27-2012, 11:58 AM
God knows there's nothing I enjoy more than mashing up terrible songs that shouldn't be mashed up at all, let alone with each other. Here's my entry for the week! It's fast and it's rough--I'd wanted to spend way more time on this and add way more parts, but I had to get this out of the way because I've got ridiculously huge paper I have to turn in at the beginning of next week. But still--billboard top 100 AND we get to multi-track? No paper could keep me away.

Just for the record, I have never claimed to be able to rap. Or dance. Or do anything, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWULk7SFihQ&feature=youtu.be

uke4ia
08-27-2012, 12:03 PM
If either one of you make a reaction video, you could get more hits than all your videos combined! Very sad but that's the whole reason why this season was born so we could reach the mass!! Gotta go out to them instead of expecting them to all of sudden want to play the uke.

This video was created yesterday and already 150 views!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3UZGF4Q5I
All due respect to that video, but I can't see the point of playing that song if you're not doing the vocals AND you're not dancing. Why bother? Today's Boston Globe carried an Associated Press article about the singer, PSY:

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/2012/08/23/viral-clip-gives-korea-psy-pop-culture-moment/Ccnxm8VMJXMJkH0BcyEX1L/story.html

Tootler
08-27-2012, 12:05 PM

Great start Ralf, that definitely made me smile.

Tootler
08-27-2012, 12:12 PM
God knows there's nothing I enjoy more than mashing up terrible songs that shouldn't be mashed up at all, let alone with each other. Here's my entry for the week! It's fast and it's rough--I'd wanted to spend way more time on this and add way more parts, but I had to get this out of the way because I've got ridiculously huge paper I have to turn in at the beginning of next week. But still--billboard top 100 AND we get to multi-track? No paper could keep me away.

Just for the record, I have never claimed to be able to rap. Or dance. Or do anything, really.

Another one that made me smile. You looked like you were having fun and that's great.

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 12:42 PM

That was so entertaining!! Only one small problem, The title of the song isn't there. If you could change it, then that it would perfect!! I like the multi-tracking aspect and you got some serious editing skilz!

I've heard the song but didn't know the title until typing some of the lyrics. The song is so catchy and has wholesome lyrics..at least one of the songs...hard to figure out the rest!

austin1
08-27-2012, 12:51 PM
That was so entertaining!! Only one small problem, The title of the song isn't there. If you could change it, then that it would perfect!! I like the multi-tracking aspect and you got some serious editing skilz!

I've heard the song but didn't know the title until typing some of the lyrics. The song is so catchy and has wholesome lyrics..at least one of the songs...hard to figure out the rest!

My bad, I fixed it in the description box! It's a mash-up of What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJO3ROT-A4E) and Back In Time by Pitbull (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feHHCtUBRyI), both of which are currently on the top 100 list

peewee
08-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Tina!

You once claimed to speak Portugese, which is a skill I am currently coveting, and you certainly know how to multitrack, play ukulele and sing, and you seem to know how to have fun with a uke! Why no desklamp Djing?
thanks for that excellent contribution.

J-Peg
08-27-2012, 02:29 PM

Ossum!! The only thing better than Tina singing and playing the uke (and yes, rapping) is more Tina!
From one multi-tracker to another, that was amazing.

Edit: What I meant to say was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4N8ObTXAy8

ukuloonie
08-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Just for the record, I have never claimed to be able to rap. Or dance. Or do anything, really.[/video]

woo hoo, That was awesome.
Great job Austin 1.

thesillydave
08-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Proof that the ukulele can make anything sound great! I actually listened to this all the way through and enjoyed it, but when I looked up the "official" video I turned it off within about 2 bars' worth of Flo Rida's vocals.

sounded great ralf!

thesillydave
08-27-2012, 03:02 PM

tina that was amazing! now i see why you wanted to muti-track...wow! can you publish a muti-tracking for dummies?? i never have figured it out! cheers!

23skidoo
08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
nicely done, Tina, that was a hoot! And I know what you mean about 'not feeling like I'm making music if I'm not multitracking'...... I'm the same way, one of the reasons I dropped out of the Seasons for so long..... and although I've come to enjoy the challenge of doing live, one take recordings, I'm definitely going nuts with Garage Band this week.....

TCK
08-27-2012, 04:04 PM
ummmmm..... no. :)Favorite post EVER

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 04:10 PM
It's all good. I'm not worried about how's it produced as long as you get it out there!

Over the weekend, I was asking someone how to split video and audio files so that I can buy a digital recorder or mic that's not connected to my camera. Other times, I just want to keep it simple and just use my smart phone. They all sound good!!

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 04:20 PM
If someone needs help in choosing a song, It's Time by Imagine Dragon has a very 80's New Wave - When in Rome vibe

The background loop will sound good on ukulele :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sENM2wA_FTg

23skidoo
08-27-2012, 04:22 PM
If someone needs help in choosing a song, It's Time by Imagine Dragon has a very 80's New Wave - When in Rome vibe

I just let my 8 year old daughter (with my wife's help) pick the tune.....

wolfchs
08-27-2012, 04:24 PM

That was totally awesome!! I wish I knew how to do that. My editing skills are limited to what youtube would let me do :o can't even fix syncing issues... maybe one day I will learn all this.

This is why I love the seasons cause it inspires me to learn new things! :D BTW, nongdam, I LOVE THIS WEEK'S THEME!

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 04:46 PM

HAHA...If I had to guess, I would pick Call Me Maybe or Good Time!! Don't tell me, I want to be surprised with the video!!

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 04:47 PM
That was totally awesome!! I wish I knew how to do that. My editing skills are limited to what youtube would let me do :o can't even fix syncing issues... maybe one day I will learn all this.

This is why I love the seasons cause it inspires me to learn new things! :D BTW, nongdam, I LOVE THIS WEEK'S THEME!

Looking forward to your video Wolfchs!!

chrimess
08-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Cool. Guess Ill try this and "Little Talks"

ksiegel
08-27-2012, 06:52 PM
It is... an interesting week.

I have no ability to loop, multitrack, editing is as basic as Windows movie live gets, and the worst part of it all is that of the two songs on that list that I recognized, one is completely out of my vocal range, and the other I consider to be crap, rather than music.

So I'll watch, and get educated, and enjoy other people doing good things.

-Kurt

peewee
08-27-2012, 08:49 PM

My teenage niece chose me one via facebook chat...let's say it's not what I would have picked....

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Cool. Guess Ill try this and "Little Talks"

Christian

Do any song that you want but please enter cuz you got lots of style!!

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 09:41 PM
My bad, I fixed it in the description box! It's a mash-up of What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJO3ROT-A4E) and Back In Time by Pitbull (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feHHCtUBRyI), both of which are currently on the top 100 list

Don't forget that you need to put the names in the title to get 10 pts!!

What's cool about this contest is that when I listen to the radio, I automatically say that's Tina's Song or Ralf sounds much better. Tonite, my commute was so much better as I heard What Makes You Beautiful and automatically thought of Tina.

If you don't have a radio that shows the name of the song, download Soundhound on your smartphone. If you have neither, just have to listen to all 100 songs on YT! HEHE

Dan Uke
08-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Here is a better link as it tells you which other Top 100 lists each song is in.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100#/charts/hot-100

For instance, Taylor Swift's song is on country, pop songs, radio songs, adult contemporary.

I'm sure some of you are having a hard time picking a song that you like so this might help

ukuloonie
08-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks Nongdam my daughters have suggested to me a couple of songs that maybe I could play
we'll see what happens. All a bit of fun really:)

erivel
08-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Uh...The current number 4 song on the charts...and coincidentally my 4 year old daughter's favorite song...:) Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/s0mNFYRNGt4

ukuloonie
08-27-2012, 10:51 PM
This is pretty cool great job
Thanks erival for putting this together;)

erivel
08-27-2012, 10:57 PM
This is pretty cool great job
Thanks erival for putting this together;)

Thank you much!!

austin1
08-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Another one that made me smile. You looked like you were having fun and that's great.

Ossum!! The only thing better than Tina singing and playing the uke (and yes, rapping) is more Tina!
From one multi-tracker to another, that was amazing.

Edit: What I meant to say was:
[/video]

woo hoo, That was awesome.
Great job Austin 1.

thanks everyone! :D

Tina!

You once claimed to speak Portugese, which is a skill I am currently coveting, and you certainly know how to multitrack, play ukulele and sing, and you seem to know how to have fun with a uke! Why no desklamp Djing?
thanks for that excellent contribution.

Can I tell you a secret? my Portuguese skills are meh. I understand most things and my accent's pretty good, but my parents thought I'd never learn english, so they stopped speaking to me in Portuguese. My German's fluent though, from living here so long! And you have no idea how hard I tried to work the desklamp djing in there, but I couldn't make it fit.

tina that was amazing! now i see why you wanted to muti-track...wow! can you publish a muti-tracking for dummies?? i never have figured it out! cheers!

It's not so hard, I promise. I use audacity for the sound and windows movie make to edit. Film yourself, and record the sound at the same time. Do this for as many parts as you need. Convert the sound file to wmv. Put the wmv in video editing program. Sync up video and sound. Do this for all your tracks/dancing skills. E voila, you have multi-tracked! Windows Movie Maker is stupidly easy to use, although I have to save every time I do anything because it crashes on me every five seconds.

nicely done, Tina, that was a hoot! And I know what you mean about 'not feeling like I'm making music if I'm not multitracking'...... I'm the same way, one of the reasons I dropped out of the Seasons for so long..... and although I've come to enjoy the challenge of doing live, one take recordings, I'm definitely going nuts with Garage Band this week.....

Amen. When there aren't nine me's going on, I never feel like I can inject enough of myself into the song, so I'm intensely jealous of everyone who can.

me too! fabulous week, this is.

Don't forget that you need to put the names in the title to get 10 pts!!

What's cool about this contest is that when I listen to the radio, I automatically say that's Tina's Song or Ralf sounds much better. Tonite, my commute was so much better as I heard What Makes You Beautiful and automatically thought of Tina.

If you don't have a radio that shows the name of the song, download Soundhound on your smartphone. If you have neither, just have to listen to all 100 songs on YT! HEHE

Fixed again!

Uh...The current number 4 song on the charts...and coincidentally my 4 year old daughter's favorite song...:) Enjoy!

Brilliant! I was hoping someone would do this, and you did it fabulously!

erivel
08-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Brilliant! I was hoping someone would do this, and you did it fabulously!

Thanks Tina! I enjoyed your video too. I have to admit I never heard those songs before, so I checked out the links you provided. Cool stuff!

23skidoo
08-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Eric - This is currently my daughter's favorite song - she even has a little dance routine she does when she hears it...... this was our morning listening before school and you had the kids dancing around like monkeys - good job! Seriously, man - you killed..... sounds great!

roxhum
08-28-2012, 04:55 AM

Austin you are a hoot. Talented, a beautiful voice and entertaining. I am not sure why the costume changes tickle me so much. Actually I do know.

erivel
08-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Eric - This is currently my daughter's favorite song - she even has a little dance routine she does when she hears it...... this was our morning listening before school and you had the kids dancing around like monkeys - good job! Seriously, man - you killed..... sounds great!

Thanks Bill! Wish I could have seen your kids dancing like monkeys!!

Garydavkra
08-28-2012, 06:52 AM
So far the entries have been super! It's interesting to note that they are all younger members of the forum. It's like a breath of fresh air! :cool:

Dan Uke
08-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Eric

That was cool and I heard that song on my way to work, which brought a smile knowing you killed the performance. That song is soo catchy and I remember that was the bonding song for one of the US olympic team.

Can't wait for your next one cuz you got talent!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Great! I hope you had as much fun making this I had listening. Wheee!!!!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-28-2012, 07:18 AM

Your daughter must be very proud of her funky papa. Very fun!!! Your version had my wife and I up and dancing!

Dan Uke
08-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Your daughter must be very proud of her funky papa. Very fun!!! Your version had my wife and I up and dancing!

Did Brittni call yet? I had to look at your video on Youtube in the description to figure out who you were referring to. Clever :D

erivel
08-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Eric

That was cool and I heard that song on my way to work, which brought a smile knowing you killed the performance. That song is soo catchy and I remember that was the bonding song for one of the US olympic team.

Can't wait for your next one cuz you got talent!

Thanks man! Yeah it's a catchy one for sure. I've been singing it around the house, in the car, in my sleep... for the last couple of months. Never thought to cover this one until this season came up. Great theme this week!!

erivel
08-28-2012, 07:58 AM

Ralf,

Thank you! I never thought I'd be getting people up and dancing! :)

erivel
08-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Did Brittni call yet? I had to look at your video on Youtube in the description to figure out who you were referring to. Clever :D

Ha ha, not yet...

rocko
08-28-2012, 08:15 AM

Really enjoyed this... "You made it your own, dawg!"

Dan Uke
08-28-2012, 08:18 AM
So far the entries have been super! It's interesting to note that they are all younger members of the forum. It's like a breath of fresh air! :cool:

When I first joined my first one, which was only Season 19, I did it because it was fun to learn new song and I saw it a challenge. My goal is to go to Season 52, regardless of theme. I know there will be a few "what the?" themes but I am looking forward to the challenge.

I know that a few older people said screw it but I know there will be a few who will knock it out of the park!! The only reason why the younger people chimed in is that they were familiar with a few songs. Give people a few days and I know that there will be awesome videos like there have been for every season!

I'm callling out wee_ginga_yin cuz I still remember the "Lady Marmalade" video which was epic!! Just think what he can do to Kayne West or Usher!!

austin1
08-28-2012, 08:22 AM
When I first joined my first one, which was only Season 19, I did it because it was fun to learn new song and I saw it a challenge. My goal is to go to Season 52, regardless of theme. I know there will be a few "what the?" themes but I am looking forward to the challenge.

I know that a few older people said screw it but I know there will be a few who will knock it out of the park!! The only reason why the younger people chimed in is that they were familiar with a few songs. Give people a few days and I know that there will be awesome videos like there have been for every season!

I'm callling out wee_ginga_yin cuz I still remember the "Lady Marmalade" video which was epic!! Just think what he can do to Kayne West or Usher!!

Never fear, if I wind up deciding to host a second week, I'm going to pick a genre I'm fairly certain everyone will hate me for. But it'll still be way fun! :D And there will be no rapping involved.

erivel
08-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Yeah, there's like a billion kids on YouTube covering top 40 songs on ukulele and like a handful of folk here on UU that do...not that I'm young or anything. Honestly, there's only a few songs I recognized on the top 100 list...

ukuleledaddy
08-28-2012, 10:31 AM

Excellent! That was so much fun Tina!

Tootler
08-28-2012, 11:47 AM

Another fun video. You did a good job on that.

ukuleledaveey
08-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi all well here is my entry for this week i choose to do the Gotye song as it is the only song i knew in the charts and actually like, he has been around a few years and great to see him finally getting recognition outside of Australia. I apologise for the not very good performance lol and for looking very serious i was concentrating honest :)
Thanks Nongdam for hosting this week.

P.S I noticed once i had saved my video i had spelt the title of the song wrong oops sums it up really lol

http://youtu.be/G_ssGrQivv0

Tootler
08-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi all well here is my entry for this week i choose to do the Gotye song as it is the only song i knew in the charts and actually like, he has been around a few years and great to see him finally getting recognition outside of Australia. I apologise for the not very good performance lol and for looking very serious i was concentrating honest :)

P.S I noticed once i had saved my video i had spelt the title of the song wrong oops sums it up really lol

Well that was a pretty good effort. You made good use of a the hook at the beginning, but it was definitely your own take on it. Well done.

I actually managed a minute and a half of the original, almost a record. I agree with what you said on the video, some dire stuff. Very formulaic, the industry sausage machine churning them out. But then, I remember Stock, Aitken and Waterman back in the 80s. yuck!!!

ukuleledaveey
08-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Well that was a pretty good effort. You made good use of a the hook at the beginning, but it was definitely your own take on it. Well done.

I actually managed a minute and a half of the original, almost a record. I agree with what you said on the video, some dire stuff. Very formulaic, the industry sausage machine churning them out. But then, I remember Stock, Aitken and Waterman back in the 80s. yuck!!!
Many thanks for your kind words Geoff,greatly appreciated, yep back to some classic old country now that ask is outta the way :) time to play some cash,williams and a bit of guthrie and leadbelly to cleanse my soul :)

chrimess
08-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Excellent, tina, you actually rap like the bloodhond gang aand that is wayy cuuuuel.

Excellent! That was so much fun Tina!

Dan Uke
08-28-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks to introducing a song that I've never heard. It has very old school vibe which I can't figure out right now. I don't know why I thought of Doors, Animals, or Men at Work. I liked the song!

Your little commentary about music in the U.S. was humorous!

ukuleledaveey
08-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks to introducing a song that I've never heard. It has very old school vibe which I can't figure out right now. I don't know why I thought of Doors, Animals, or Men at Work. I liked the song!

Your little commentary about music in the U.S. was humorous!
Many thanks mate, really appreciate it, i wasnt having a dig at the U.S Honest :) just i didnt realise how bad the state of "pop" music was in general, since taking up the uke, i have tended to look up and get into loads of old stuff, i was always a massive music junkie, indie was my thing, but i dont even look at the charts now a days even across the pond here, there isnt much to get excited about these days just a few dear bands i cling on to. :)
Once again many thanks for a very challenging week, its been tough but good :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Nice! Great to see you pushing yourself as a uke player---playing that melody with some harmony is no easy feat. Very cool. Also, your hat gave you a "mysterious stranger" vibe. Like you just rode into town out of the desert. Cool.

ukuleledaveey
08-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Nice! Great to see you pushing yourself as a uke player---playing that melody with some harmony is no easy feat. Very cool. Also, your hat gave you a "mysterious stranger" vibe. Like you just rode into town out of the desert. Cool.
Many thanks Ralf, your such a top fella, not only a great uker, but you always have a encouraging word to say and it is greatly appreciated. I really struggled with this song it is not to hard as not to many chords, but picking and trying to sing it as well, i had a sort of mental block been practising it for the last couple of days and it wasnt getting any better so i thought i would get the ordeal over with.
By the way absolutely loved your song it was amazing, you made it your own and so much better than the original, once again many thanks mate :)

chrimess
08-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Well done, Dave, rock on.

ukuleledaveey
08-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Well done, Dave, rock on.
many thanks Christian, greatly appreciated,will you be entering mate ?
Oh while im here i thought you saud poldoski was going to bang them in for us this season?????? :confused:
once again many thanks mate.

Dan Uke
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM
DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE TITLE OF THE SONG as the Title in Youtube!!! That's the easiest 10 pts you'll ever get!!

I want non-UU to catch a glimpse of your video!!

uke4ia
08-28-2012, 04:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJIdYUxzBg8

This is "Little Talks" by an Icelandic band called Of Monsters and Men. It always shocks me when a song I really like becomes a big hit, because it very rarely happens. I first heard this song about this time last year on a new music podcast by KEXP.org. It was one of my favorite songs of 2011, and now it's one of my favorites again in 2012. I'm sorry I couldn't do more takes, but between getting ready for vacation and getting hit today by the cold my wife and daughter have had, my time and voice are vanishing rapidly.

chrimess
08-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Gotta cut him some slack and be patient as Camlla PB and he'll have a comeback lke the Spicegirls.
many thanks Christian, greatly appreciated,will you be entering mate ?
Oh while im here i thought you saud poldoski was going to bang them in for us this season?????? :confused:
once again many thanks mate.

roxhum
08-28-2012, 05:58 PM

Nice job Dave! This was actually a song I knew. Your playing and picking has gotten really good.

wolfchs
08-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Here's my attempt to the # 17 song on the list. I really had fun doing this one as I like this song very much. I could've done something else with it if I knew how to multi-track... that is my goal!!! I shall learn this!! Anyway, I hope you guys like it :o

http://youtu.be/ejWtY0e2tqk

wolfchs
08-28-2012, 06:14 PM

That was really cool Eric!

Dave that was great... I love this song!

This is "Little Talks" by an Icelandic band called Of Monsters and Men. It always shocks me when a song I really like becomes a big hit, because it very rarely happens. I first heard this song about this time last year on a new music podcast by KEXP.org. It was one of my favorite songs of 2011, and now it's one of my favorites again in 2012. I'm sorry I couldn't do more takes, but between getting ready for vacation and getting hit today by the cold my wife and daughter have had, my time and voice are vanishing rapidly.

I saw this group in Philly last month.. They are really good and you did an awesome job with the song. I tried doing it but I can't find the proper voicing for the "man" part of the song.

TCK
08-28-2012, 06:15 PM
From one of the Daves to another...this is solid mate. Absolutely my reason for watching Youtube man-keep 'em coming!

peewee
08-28-2012, 06:40 PM
You people are all super-heros, I can't seem to get myself to sing the song my Niece suggested, it's just too...I donno. (http://musicthoughts.com/t/393)

To take this raw material and make them into coherent solo uke songs, impressive. I found one that I have actually heard before, it's way down the list, but I'm going to take a run at it.

EDIT: (Why do the singers all) sound like 80's boy bands? (yes even the women)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-28-2012, 07:22 PM

Cool. I never would've made it down to #50 to listen to this one. Great song. Great work getting those hooks across with your uke!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Here's my attempt to the # 17 song on the list. I really had fun doing this one as I like this song very much. I could've done something else with it if I knew how to multi-track... that is my goal!!! I shall learn this!! Anyway, I hope you guys like it :o
Nice one! Great picking, terrific singing. Your enthusiasm for the song really comes across---it's even a little infectious. :)

janeray1940
08-28-2012, 07:39 PM
You people are all super-heros, I can't seem to get myself to sing the song my Niece suggested, it's just too...I donno. (http://musicthoughts.com/t/393)

I think Sir Duke was right about this.

ukuloonie
08-28-2012, 07:47 PM

WooHoo Wolfchs I missed that one, it's lucky I did 'cause your rendition was good:D

thesillydave
08-28-2012, 08:41 PM
and now, here's my silly attempt at #52 on the charts...50 ways to say goodbye by train....thanks! another fun and challenging season!

http://youtu.be/xnRpsipibS8

cheers!

TCK
08-28-2012, 08:50 PM
I think Sir Duke was right about this.
Agreed entirely

Dan Uke
08-28-2012, 09:12 PM

That's some great fingerpicking / strumming as you got the melody down and my kids love the "HEY". I see why this song is one of your favorites of 2012...I personally like this more than a collaboration of Genesis songs :p

Dan Uke
08-28-2012, 09:17 PM

Wow! You have such a melodic voice! The winner song for American Idol could be the winner song for UU Idol???? Hmmmm

Great Choice

Dan Uke
08-28-2012, 09:27 PM
and now, here's my silly attempt at #52 on the charts...50 ways to say goodbye by train....thanks! another fun and challenging season!

cheers!

If you love uke, you gotta love Train!! It sounds just like Phantom of the Opera at the beginning and I would have loved to have seen you wear your Lady Gaga outfit!! Dave, you always score big time with me on the emotional factor as you are such a great sport that I was hoping that you performed. Great job on some crappy lyrics!! Crappy Purple Scion?????

Tootler
08-28-2012, 11:18 PM
I found something I felt I could do but then I realised I'm away this weekend so I'm not going to have enough time to learn and record it so I'm definitely out this week.

erivel
08-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Another fun video. You did a good job on that.

Thanks for the kind words!

erivel
08-28-2012, 11:52 PM

Dave, I enjoyed your take on this song! One of three songs from the list that I actually know.

erivel
08-29-2012, 12:00 AM

I really enjoy hearing this one on the radio. Great job! I was tempted to do this one too.

erivel
08-29-2012, 12:03 AM

This is a beautiful song! I've never heard it before. Nicely done!

erivel
08-29-2012, 12:05 AM
That was really cool Eric!

Hey thanks!!

ukuleledaveey
08-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Nice job Dave! This was actually a song I knew. Your playing and picking has gotten really good.
Many many thanks Roxhum, i am surprised you recognised it after my take on it lol, the chords arent hard, it is justthe picking and trying to sing the damn thing as well, lol, it was a challenge but its good to come out the comfort zone once in a while,many thanks.

Dave that was great... I love this song!

Thank you so much, i hope you still love the original after my attack on it lol,loved your entry to, you have a lovely singing voice.

From one of the Daves to another...this is solid mate. Absolutely my reason for watching Youtube man-keep 'em coming!
thanks so much Dave, as long as i can bring a smile to your face i will keep going through the pain/cringe barrier,hope to see a entry from you mate, how about some nikki minaj :) i had to google her never heard of her, and wish i hadn't :) anyway thanks so much for your words of encouragement and kindness mate,greatly appreciated im off to play some hank now.

Dave, I enjoyed your take on this song! One of three songs from the list that I actually know.
Thank you so so much, i actually was very nervous of posting my entry as it wasnt the most cleanest of performances as i have sterpped out of my comfort zone, but i thought bugger it, its the best i will get at it. loved your entry to great playing and you have a really good voice, was great.once again many thanks.

erivel
08-29-2012, 12:14 AM

cheers!

"She'll think I'm Superman, not super minivan, how could you leave on yom kippur?"...did someone actually write that? Ah yes, Train! I dig your version!

austin1
08-29-2012, 12:21 AM

I LOVE that song! Great job!

That was beautiful :)

cheers!

Your videos are always fabulous, and this one was no exception.

austin1
08-29-2012, 12:22 AM

I was watching this last night and when I woke up this morning, I was still singing it. I am intensely jealous of your whistling skills.

iamjacobjohn
08-29-2012, 02:44 AM
I read these forums often but rarely post. In this case I felt a need to say: what an awesome idea for a contest! I think this one has the potential to spread the word about ukulele and UU to the many people that think this amazing instrument is only good for "Soul Sister" or "I'm Yours" (I'll admit, I was guilty of this at one point - at least it was a long time ago?).

These contests inspire me to play a lot too, even if I rarely end up entering them. Maybe I will this time around.

23skidoo
08-29-2012, 03:28 AM

Good one, Dave - nice arrangement on the melody picking..... I've got to say, man - out of all the regular contributors here on UU, I think you've shown the most rapid and pronounced improvement of any of us - every video is a little smoother and better performed - keep it up.....

23skidoo
08-29-2012, 03:35 AM

Nice arrangement, Jim - had to go and have a listen to the original.... like the horns, but I dig your acoustic arrangement better - really shows of what a good tune it is..... good stuff, man....

23skidoo
08-29-2012, 03:40 AM

WOW - just beautiful..... what a truly lovely voice and the pick/strum combination is just right -this is top stuff - very nicely done!

Dan Uke
08-29-2012, 03:40 AM
I read these forums often but rarely post. In this case I felt a need to say: what an awesome idea for a contest! I think this one has the potential to spread the word about ukulele and UU to the many people that think this amazing instrument is only good for "Soul Sister" or "I'm Yours" (I'll admit, I was guilty of this at one point - at least it was a long time ago?).

These contests inspire me to play a lot too, even if I rarely end up entering them. Maybe I will this time around.

It'll be awesome if you join and help that cause of spreading the uke!

23skidoo
08-29-2012, 03:50 AM

cheers!

Dig it, Dave! Nice strummin..... it's funny, this week - and your video especially - make me realize these aren't necessarily bad songs. Sure the lyrics aren't always something that's going to show up in a poetry anthology, but the basic structure of the tunes and the melody isn't too different from most other pop music of the last 50 years. Now if we could just get the bands to play them the right way and work on their production.....

wolfchs
08-29-2012, 03:58 AM
Just finished my first cup of coffee of the day so here's a bonus track (#14 on the list) before I head off to work ;)

http://youtu.be/E2-J8X0Lfzs

ukuleledaveey
08-29-2012, 03:59 AM
Good one, Dave - nice arrangement on the melody picking..... I've got to say, man - out of all the regular contributors here on UU, I think you've shown the most rapid and pronounced improvement of any of us - every video is a little smoother and better performed - keep it up.....
:bowdown: thanks so much Bill it means so much to get such fantastic feedback from someone as talented as yourself,to me this means so much more than ever winning or getting a placing in the results.
All the top players in this comp (which is nearly everyone compared to me) are just super, and i really appreciate your positive feedback everytime.
I am taken a back by your very wonderful comment Bill, as i actually think i am plateauing at the moment,but im still very very much in love with the uke and especially the old american music, which you and several others have influenced me :)
Once again many many thanks mate and look forward to a entry by you :)

wee_ginga_yin
08-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Hi all well here is my entry for this week i choose to do the Gotye song as it is the only song i knew in the charts and actually like, he has been around a few years and great to see him finally getting recognition outside of Australia.

Not really from the top 100 but a Gotye style song never the less... especially for Dave.
Consider it a bonus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed6LQEIF8qo

ukuleledaveey
08-29-2012, 04:35 AM
Not really from the top 100 but a Gotye style song never the less... especially for Dave.

:shaka::worship: Wow Rob im deeply honoured mate seriously, a song especially for me, mate you have made my day, i love it and your even doing your best essex accent which sounds very good, aahhh the good old days keown and adams and bould.
Thanks so so much, im going to save that on youtube and without being influenced i reckon you must be the winner this week for that little tune. cheers mate come on you gunnaaaaaahhhhsssssss

roxhum
08-29-2012, 04:45 AM
Just finished my first cup of coffee of the day so here's a bonus track (#14 on the list) before I head off to work ;)

That was great. You have a nice voice. This is the first time I have had the pleasure to watch one of your videos. You're good. And you did that before work!

roxhum
08-29-2012, 04:55 AM

cheers!

Dave, that was just sillywondeful! I love your sense of humor, and playing and style

roxhum
08-29-2012, 05:01 AM

Beautiful song beautifully performed

wee_ginga_yin
08-29-2012, 05:39 AM
:shaka::worship: Wow Rob im deeply honoured mate seriously, a song especially for me, mate you have made my day, i love it and your even doing your best essex accent which sounds very good, aahhh the good old days keown and adams and bould.
Thanks so so much, im going to save that on youtube and without being influenced i reckon you must be the winner this week for that little tune. cheers mate come on you gunnaaaaaahhhhsssssss

Aahh that Arsenal back four... Tony Adams would step forward and raise
his arm and the rest of the back four did the same and sprang the off-side
trap. The Gunners would score a goal and then defend it to the death.
Different but glorious days.

Glad you like it.

Dan Uke
08-29-2012, 06:51 AM

Another great song Wolfchs. Thanks for introducing a song I've never heard before. What's great about this song is that if you change it up a little, it could be country, pop, rock. 23skidoo said it best "but the basic structure of the tunes and the melody isn't too different from most other pop music of the last 50 years"

Dan Uke
08-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Consider it a bonus...

Great vibe to this song! I think this has better lyrics than "One Nil to the Arsenal" but it might be tough to get the whole stadium to chant your song. How many Gooners out there?

wee_ginga_yin
08-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Great vibe to this song! I think this has better lyrics that "One Nil to the Arsenal" but it might be tough to get the whole stadium to chant your song. How many Gooners out there?

The vibe was a slowed down Gotye with that alternating incessant Dm C chord change.
For those who are not familiar with the Arsenal football club, in their glory days they

were famous for scoring one goal and then defending it. Many of their victories had the score line 1-0.
So their fans had a chant ... "one nil to the Arsenal" which they used to chant to taunt the opposition.

I made it up on the spot after listening to Dave playing the Gotye song and tried my
best to do an Essex accent :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQxTB5efHfs

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-29-2012, 07:48 AM

cheers!
Fun one, Dave! The flamenco vibe is right on. Your delivery of the punchline/chorus works great, too. Hee hee. Scion.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Everybody talks, alright---mostly about how good your version of this song is. Fun. Energetic. Sounds like a top ten hit when you're singing it, for sure.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Consider it a bonus...

It's all here. Excellent uke playing. Psychedelic video. Dubby echo chamber effect. The sweet agony of being a sports fan. Woohoo!

Dan Uke
08-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Entries Playlist has been added on Page 1. Check often as I will update as they come!! Can't wait to see more videos

Bonus Playlist added as well

Dan Uke
08-29-2012, 08:24 AM
I found something I felt I could do but then I realised I'm away this weekend so I'm not going to have enough time to learn and record it so I'm definitely out this week.

Geoff

Thanks for making this comment as I really do appreciate the change of heart. You were so put off by the music that you didn't want to participate yet you searched diligently for a song speaks volume of your character.

ukuloonie
08-29-2012, 08:25 AM
I have updated the big list of Seasons of the Ukulele to reflect your playlist
Thanks Nongdam

23skidoo
08-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Consider it a bonus...

This is pure brilliance, Rob - a true delight.... and I think it's going to be a long year for you Gooners, sorry to say Dave.... haven't given up any goals yet, but haven't scored any yet either, have they? Hopefully they won't start this Sunday....http://youtu.be/lEuGO3k-QF4?t=4m22s

Dan Uke
08-29-2012, 08:30 AM
http://musicthoughts.com/t/393

Very interesting comments...who are we to say what is good music? I totally understand Duke saying it...

Fermin
08-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Look what I just found!

http://satwcomic.com/art/gangnam-style.jpg

peewee
08-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Here's a slightly more thoughtful take on Gangnam Style (http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/)

ukuleledaveey
08-29-2012, 11:46 AM
The vibe was a slowed down Gotye with that alternating incessant Dm C chord change.
For those who are not familiar with the Arsenal football club, in their glory days they

were famous for scoring one goal and then defending it. Many of their victories had the score line 1-0.
So their fans had a chant ... "one nil to the Arsenal" which they used to chant to taunt the opposition.

I made it up on the spot after listening to Dave playing the Gotye song and tried my
best to do an Essex accent :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQxTB5efHfs
Rob you ticked all the boxes mate and i was very impressed with the accent, to all those of a non footballing nature, the chant comes from the pet shop boys cover of "go west", with the words changed to " one nil to the arsenal", it has been a lovely day on the thread for me, some lovely comments about my song and rob composing a little dittie for me im stoked :cheers:

bonus entry uploading now :)

austin1
08-29-2012, 12:05 PM
I am really sad I can't watch Gangnam style in Germany because of copyright issues.

austin1
08-29-2012, 12:25 PM
this isn't a billboard top 100, but it was, for a really long time. Bonus entry of sorts, I guess. My friend and I did this yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCEQ4UfH8wQ

edit: attractive thumbnail, that is.

ukuleledaveey
08-29-2012, 12:27 PM
well here is a bonus entry at #86 on the billboard charts of the U.S of A. A band called big and rich a modern country band, i thought the original song sounded very bon jovi like, so i did a wiki search and low and behold richie sambora and jon bon jovi helped write there new album, cos i had to listen to this bloody song loads to try and get some idea of it(although you would never know when i start playing) i t has sort of grown on me and in fact the lyrics are pretty good, so buckle up and here i go destroying another modern song lol.

http://youtu.be/GCmEvxQ9V34

v30
08-29-2012, 02:18 PM

That my friend, was awesome!

23skidoo
08-29-2012, 02:29 PM
this isn't a billboard top 100, but it was, for a really long time. Bonus entry of sorts, I guess. My friend and I did this yesterday:

Wunderbar, Tina! Like that about 1,000 times more than the original - which (full disclosure) did make me wanna shake a tail feather before I got tired of hearing it.....

23skidoo
08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
well here is a bonus entry at #86 on the billboard charts of the U.S of A. A band called big and rich a modern country band, i thought the original song sounded very bon jovi like, so i did a wiki search and low and behold richie sambora and jon bon jovi helped write there new album, cos i had to listen to this bloody song loads to try and get some idea of it(although you would never know when i start playing) i t has sort of grown on me and in fact the lyrics are pretty good, so buckle up and here i go destroying another modern song lol.

Another hit, Davey - good job, man! I've heard of those guys, but never actually listened to any of their music.... like you said, not a bad tune, I can see why it's grown on you.....

peewee
08-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Nice work, I was eyeballing this one too, glad you did it up.

Dan Uke
08-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Sasha Fierce meets her German Alter Ego!! Great duet!

Dan Uke
08-29-2012, 03:54 PM

Another great find Dave. I think people are warming up to the top 100 songs. Thanks for bringing it again!

ukuleledaddy
08-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Nice playing! That bit at the beginning and the end really worked. Not familiar with this song at all but I certainly enjoyed your version.

decaturcomp
08-30-2012, 03:41 AM
Nice job, bro.

Dougf
08-30-2012, 04:14 AM

What's really awesome is that he managed to get this video done on the first day of the competition. Ralf, you are a legend!

v30
08-30-2012, 05:36 AM

Marvellous job, really enjoyed it!

decaturcomp
08-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Didn't know ANY of these songs. Found a group that had a cool name, listened to song twice, played through once adding something I thought helped it to be less weird as a solo then recorded. Pray for me now and at the hour of my laziness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQMDXugNrX4&list=UUa57R-HT-UlbHxQ0i2hy7yw&index=1&feature=plcp

ukuleledaddy
08-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Didn't know ANY of these songs. Found a group that had a cool name, listened to song twice, played through once adding something I thought helped it to be less weird as a solo then recorded. Pray for me now and at the hour of my laziness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQMDXugNrX4&list=UUa57R-HT-UlbHxQ0i2hy7yw&index=1&feature=plcp

Listened to it twice?! Wow, that was really good. I've never heard that song and some of those lyrics just make me cringe but you made it I enjoyed your take very much.

Dan Uke
08-30-2012, 07:46 AM

Wow, this song proves that every song sounds better on the uke and you killed it!! I like your laid back style and I could listen to your version vs. the original

It's funny cuz when I saw the group I thought that Flo rida (The singer that Ralf did) was doing a song with Georgia Line. HAHA

peewee
08-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Decaturcomp, way to represent the GA!

This week is a real head-scratcher for me. My lovely teenage niece suggested that I do Fun's Some Nights. That didn't work out...I tried a few others, then decided to just jump on #1. Taylor Swift. We are Never Ever Getting Back Together.
OMG.
Doing this song felt wrong in many ways, but I hope you can at least get some yucks out of it.
You all are lucky I don't have the time to put together a top 10 commercial free megamix medley this week.

thanks to Brittni and Nongdam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQYAue9RJjI

austin1
08-30-2012, 07:55 AM

This week is a real head-scratcher for me. My lovely teenage niece suggested that I do Fun's Some Nights. That didn't work out...I tried a few others, then decided to just jump on #1. Taylor Swift. We are Never Ever Getting Back Together.
OMG.
Doing this song felt wrong in many ways, but I hope you can at least get some yucks out of it.
You all are lucky I don't have the time to put together a top 10 commercial free megamix medley this week.

I can't properly put into words how happy that made me. Seriously. It was so much better than Taylor Swift's version, in every way possible.

And Julia Nunes did a pretty bangin version of Some Nights with Walk Off The Earth, it's better than the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZB-h5yDZv8

peewee
08-30-2012, 08:03 AM
I can't properly put into words how happy that made me. Seriously. It was so much better than Taylor Swift's version, in every way possible.

And Julia Nunes did a pretty bangin version of Some Nights with Walk Off The Earth, it's better than the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZB-h5yDZv8

Thanks Tina!
See, that's a singer's song, I'm not much of a singer.. and I just felt so uncomfortable singing "what do I stand for", I'm going to need therapy to recover from Season 28...

decaturcomp
08-30-2012, 08:06 AM
I really like your way with the spoken parts especially. It's like if George Jones were less, you know, country. Nice job!

OMG.

Dan Uke
08-30-2012, 08:21 AM

OMG.

Its hilarious as I thought you were doing a parody of this song and when I heard the real song, that's how it's sung except for a few commentaries which I loved! Did I ever tell you that I'm a banker minus the successful part? HAHA

With that said, this song is perfect for your niece as that's Taylor's fan base and that's what they go through. Nothing is said directly but goes through friends!! Teenage years were very stressful!!

You definitely get top points for song choice as everyone else was so turned off by this song but you tackled it! Great job

thesillydave
08-30-2012, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=peewee;1032902]Decaturcomp, way to represent the GA!

OMG.

/QUOTE]

loved it !

Dougf
08-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Ralf's version is amazing, so I decided to have a little fun and take a few liberties with the "arrangement". :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMGaslpQz28

Dan Uke
08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Ralf's version is amazing, so I decided to have a little fun and take a few liberties with the "arrangement". :)

You sir are one talented person. Your screen name is Dougf for Doug "Flo rida"

I wish I had a camera to show how wide my smile is! You made it your own and that was BEAST!! (I hear that's a popular word nowadays)

jalapeno
08-30-2012, 12:22 PM
great videos so far! anyways, i somehow didn't read this post until after the fact so i'm just sharing my cover of taylor swift's "we are never ever getting back together" that i posted earlier today as a bonus... enjoy!!! i was planning on covering it anyway :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psWh7lPdOAU

Dan Uke
08-30-2012, 12:34 PM
great videos so far! anyways, i somehow didn't read this post until after the fact so i'm just sharing my cover of taylor swift's "we are never ever getting back together" that i posted earlier today as a bonus... enjoy!!! i was planning on covering it anyway :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psWh7lPdOAU

Wow Oliver, where have been? I really need to learn how to multitrack and even if there is no more future contests with multitracking, it really brings music to another level. I want to learn for fun! I'm always trying to get my wife to join me so I can just use my falsetto voice and sing the female part!! HAHA

That was cool and if you have any bonus songs, please share with us!

jalapeno
08-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Wow Oliver, where have been? I really need to learn how to multitrack and even if there is no more future contests with multitracking, it really brings music to another level. I want to learn for fun! I'm always trying to get my wife to join me so I can just use my falsetto voice and sing the female part!! HAHA

That was cool and if you have any bonus songs, please share with us!

hey, thanks... i also tried to get my wife to learn, but she's a lost cause. hence, my multitracking :) anyways, here's another song that i posted earlier this week (again, coincidentally) as another bonus... it's currently #80 on billboard. enjoy! fyi, i got my appreciation for taylor swift from my 10y/o daughter :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7e-jujBwU

ukuleledaddy
08-30-2012, 01:07 PM
I didn't think I'd get a chance to get a song in this week, but I found half an hour today. I haven't heard any of the songs on the top 100 except for this one. I heard just a bit of it last week as I turned on NPR and I was instantly interested. I was surprised and happy to find it on the top 100 list.
Of course I sang the lyrics from the title wrong (instead of Ho Hey I sing Hey Ho) and I had trouble getting some high notes in the bridge (and elsewhere). Such is my lot in life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZn0XIxoGZE

Dan Uke
08-30-2012, 01:22 PM
I didn't think I'd get a chance to get a song in this week, but I found half an hour today. I haven't heard any of the songs on the top 100 except for this one. I heard just a bit of it last week as I turned on NPR and I was instantly interested. I was surprised and happy to find it on the top 100 list.
Of course I sang the lyrics from the title wrong (instead of Ho Hey I sing Hey Ho) and I had trouble getting some high notes in the bridge (and elsewhere). Such is my lot in life.

Dave...You've got good range as that song started an octave lower and you had no problem hitting the next octave. What kind of music is this cuz I like it? Is this considered Americana Music? I've seen one of Aaron Keim's video and it reminds me of it.

I hope my wife doesn't think my yelling unconrollably syndrome is back! HEY HO HO HEY

Dan Uke
08-30-2012, 01:27 PM
hey, thanks... i also tried to get my wife to learn, but she's a lost cause. hence, my multitracking :) anyways, here's another song that i posted earlier this week (again, coincidentally) as another bonus... it's currently #80 on billboard. enjoy! fyi, i got my appreciation for taylor swift from my 10y/o daughter :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7e-jujBwU

Another good one! I'm so happy you didnt' do the BOB part. I was wondering why the song was so short but now I know why as the other part is just alright. Way to go!

ukuloonie
08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
duplicates allowed ?

ukuloonie
08-30-2012, 02:30 PM
bonus list updated for this weeks season on the big list of seasons

Dan Uke
08-30-2012, 02:39 PM
duplicates allowed ?

of course!!

v30
08-30-2012, 03:01 PM

That was lovely!

myrnaukelele
08-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Some brilliant entries this week - I just cannot keep up with you guys lol! I absolutely love the multi-tracking- tina and erivel and jalapeno you guys are awesome! Gotta try that one of these days...

wolfchs
08-30-2012, 07:03 PM
oh boy, here's a short bonus track.. you guys will get tired of my face soon but i swear i'm just making up for the previous seasons i missed :p
# 44 on the list... i was listening to this havana brown song last night as i was driving home from NJ... had to keep myself awake :o

http://youtu.be/9oRqWxTugWQ

Dan Uke
08-30-2012, 08:32 PM
oh boy, here's a short bonus track.. you guys will get tired of my face soon but i swear i'm just making up for the previous seasons i missed :p
# 44 on the list... i was listening to this havana brown song last night as i was driving home from NJ... had to keep myself awake :o

If we gave out participation awards, you would definitely get one as this is your third song!! It would be cool if you do ten!!

I could totally imagine this song playing at the club with that cool beat! Another great performance and thanks for sharing a new song.

erivel
08-30-2012, 10:06 PM

Wow that was great! Third one already? I'm so busy this week, but I'd love to get another video in...

wolfchs
08-31-2012, 03:10 AM
Yup... I will admit to knowing more than half of the songs in the list even though i do not have a young'n living inside my house, i do have one inside of me :) and didn't I say I LOVE THIS WEEK's THEME! Unfortunately for me, I have to fly to Florida for the holiday weekend after work today and won't be back until Monday, that is why I've been trying to do as much songs as I can so I can introduce y'all to some "good" songs and some from the "other" kind category! :o

Nongdam, be careful what you wish for... I might actually do ten... bwahahahaha! (evil laugh)

23skidoo
08-31-2012, 03:36 AM

Good job, Alan..... not one to add to the repertoire, but nicely done - dig the vibe.....

23skidoo
08-31-2012, 03:41 AM

OMG.

way to take one for the team, peewee.....the only advantage to a lot of these songs is that they are the same 4 chords repeated over and over, so they're not too hard to learn..... I love your deadpan delivery on some of those lines - you almost turned it into one of Dylan's talking blues. Almost.:D

23skidoo
08-31-2012, 03:45 AM

Doug - you've officially won already, as far as I'm concerned. That's so hip it should be illegal - you just made my day.

23skidoo
08-31-2012, 03:49 AM

Nicely done, Padre - an excellent cover. In randomly sampling tunes from the list I stumbled on this one.... if I hadn't already been working on a different tune with my family, I would have chosen this one - it's a good song and you did it justice.

23skidoo
08-31-2012, 03:55 AM

another good one, señorita Lobo..... you truly have a great voice - so warm and rich...... this is currently my daughter's favorite song - your arrangement might be a good motivation for her to tackle Bm.....

Tootler
08-31-2012, 05:06 AM
Geoff

Thanks for making this comment as I really do appreciate the change of heart. You were so put off by the music that you didn't want to participate yet you searched diligently for a song speaks volume of your character.

Thanks for your comment, nongdam.

I have been trying to keep up with this week but haven't had time to listen to all the entries but have managed to at least sample every one and there have been some excellent efforts. Well done to all who have entered.

ksiegel
08-31-2012, 05:24 AM
Yup... I will admit to knowing more than half of the songs in the list even though i do not have a young'n living inside my house, i do have one inside of me :)

Excuse me? You ARE a young'n!! Just a kid!

Now, if we were looking at the Top 100 List from 35 years ago, I'd probably know more than 90% of the songs on it - and hate probably 75% of them.

Have I mentioned recently that I've actually had to yell at kids to get off of my lawn?

Now, where's that cane...

-Kurt

By the way - the videos are terrific- your voice is wonderful, and the playing just keeps getting better. Keep going!

roxhum
08-31-2012, 05:45 AM

OMG.

Loved it!!! A star is born. That reminded me of sillydave singing I Feel Pretty.

thesillydave
08-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Loved it!!! A star is born. That reminded me of sillydave singing I Feel Pretty.

i take that as an extreme compliment! thanks!! and i too loved peewee's song!

jalapeno
08-31-2012, 06:23 AM
Ok, here's my official entry... it's a cover of Ed Sheeran's "The A-Team" which, in case you didn't know, is about a crack addict. I decided to just keep this one simple and without all the multitrack business. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pB2qTqgRes

In case you haven't seen them, here are my bonus tracks:
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psWh7lPdOAU
Both of Us - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7e-jujBwU

peewee
08-31-2012, 06:45 AM
I've been trying to do as much songs as I can so I can introduce y'all to some "good" songs and some from the "other" kind category! :o

wolfchs, you are doing just that, some of these songs sound great when they're stripped down a little ( a lot ) your enthusiasm helps too. Love your entries.
I think my limited taste for dance music was destroyed by working on music-video sets years ago. Now I associate big dance beats with poor pay, crazy hours, bad food, big attitudes and stinky locations. There are some exceptions to my phobia for tunes that are sufficiently weird (http://youtu.be/iG-CLFPU6RY).
thanks

peewee
08-31-2012, 06:46 AM
i take that as an extreme compliment! thanks!! and i too loved peewee's song!

Now I'm blushing....

jalapeno
08-31-2012, 06:57 AM

this is awesome... just genius! i wish i would've thought of it :) our paths are certain to cross one of these days.

austin1
08-31-2012, 07:14 AM
this is awesome... just genius! i wish i would've thought of it :) our paths are certain to cross one of these days.

I'll be back in New Jersey from the middle of December to early January, let's make Colin come over and we can all jam!

Dan Uke
08-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Ok, here's my official entry... it's a cover of Ed Sheeran's "The A-Team" which, in case you didn't know, is about a crack addict. I decided to just keep this one simple and without all the multitrack business. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pB2qTqgRes

In case you haven't seen them, here are my bonus tracks:
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psWh7lPdOAU
Both of Us - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7e-jujBwU

Wow, this was vocally your best one in my opinion!! However, I do miss multitracking...this might be the only week that multitracking is allowed so I enjoyed the full on production. The original is simple so I totally understand your approach. Another song I didn't know so thank you for the introduction. This is one of the songs that I would put in my ipod if I had one!

I gotta go now and change the playlist as I thought your first Taylor Swift was your entry...either way, you have a strong contender!

jalapeno
08-31-2012, 07:31 AM
I'll be back in New Jersey from the middle of December to early January, let's make Colin come over and we can all jam!

sounds like a plan!

jalapeno
08-31-2012, 07:33 AM
Wow, this was vocally your best one in my opinion!! However, I do miss multitracking...this might be the only week that multitracking is allowed so I enjoyed the full on production. The original is simple so I totally understand your approach. Another song I didn't know so thank you for the introduction. This is one of the songs that I would put in my ipod if I had one!

I gotta go now and change the playlist as I thought your first Taylor Swift was your entry...either way, you have a strong contender!

thanks... i didn't follow the directions properly for my last one. silly me :)

wolfchs
08-31-2012, 07:35 AM

Can I come? I'm thinking if I put the three of you in one room together with all your multi-tracking skills, I'd learn how to do it quicker :o

jalapeno
08-31-2012, 07:37 AM
Can I come? I'm thinking if I put the three of you in one room together with all your multi-tracking skills, I'd learn how to do it quicker :o

YES!!! Sounds like the makings of the most epic collaboration ever :)

glass
08-31-2012, 07:38 AM
sounds like a plan!

Tina, OJ, Colin, Tammy and myself my head will explode!!! Mina too!!!!

glass
08-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Heres my shot at it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DseXD0lDR4Y

jalapeno
08-31-2012, 07:43 AM
heres my shot at it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsexd0ldr4y

swoooon!!! :)

Dan Uke
08-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Heres my shot at it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DseXD0lDR4Y

Nice CBU!! I lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo loved it!! I'm sure you'll get lots of hits cuz lots of Justin Bieber fans!! Hmmm...I always wondered how Justin would look with facial hair...now I know as you guys look alike! :p