28th Season - Are you Brittni's and Kris's favorite? Who's the next UU Idol?

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Winners are posted!!

Billboard Top 100 US Singles Plus a Few More!!! Who’s the next UU Idol!! :rock:

This Weeks Theme
I love the uke and I believe one of the main reasons why people don’t play the uke is that they have never been exposed or they never heard their favorite song played!! We can change that this week by playing any song from the U.S. Billboard Top 100 Singles and show that the uke sounds good for any song!! The songs are listed right here:

http://acharts.us/us_singles_top_100/

I’ve seen a few videos but we have so many talented UU ukers and my goal is that someone listens to YOUR VIDEO and becomes a uke lover for life!! How awesome would that be!!

WE HAVE TWO CELEBRITY JUDGES!!

BRITTNI PAIVA http://www.brittnipaiva.com/home.cfm

KRIS FUCHIGAMI http://www.krisfuchigami.com/

One final song I will include is this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

If this song can get 55 Million Hits in a month and it’s a foreign language to many of us, I figure a good version on ukulele can get at least 10 Million Hits!!

PARAMETERS
It must be a new video!!
The Ukulele must be the main instrument & You have to write or state it’s for Season 28 of the Ukulele (Front, Part of the Song, Back)
Post your videos in this thread

Also, in the body section of Youtube, it would be cool if you put http://ukuleleunderground.com so that someone new knows where to go if they are interested in the uke.

JUDGING CRITERIA
Points will be awarded as follows:
10 Points: Song Choice: 10 pts for songs listed 1-10, 9 pts for 11-20, 8 pts for 21-30 and down the list. Brittni and Gangnam Style will get 10 pts
10 Points:Title of Song” as the title of your Youtube Video – You are not required to put 28th Season on the title but you do have to put the Title of the Song. Don’t forget to put your disclaimers for copyright laws!!
25 Points: Emotional Factor: How do I feel after hearing the song? Brittni says that with musicians can “Mess with other People’s Soul! We can make people feel happy, We can make them feel sad or angry” It is not purely based on how well you play. If you had fun, I’m sure I had fun watching it!!!!
5 Points: Set and Costume

** BONUS POINTS **
Each additional song gets 1 point (Must still have title of song). However, you have to state which song is your official entry, I want to thank Ukuloonie for making an entry list and a bonus list (He gets 1 bonus pt). Perform a song with someone else and get add’l 2 point for main entry.

JUDGING
I will pick the top 10 scorers and then pick 3 names out of a box as winners.

Brittni and Kris will pick their favorite performance and that person will automatically win a prize. How awesome is it to know that your video is Brittni’s or Kris' favorite?

Then I will put the 5 winners back in the box and pick the order for prizes.

PRIZES
We all love Ukukulele Underground so here are the prizes: http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/

1st and 2nd Place: UU Sweatshirt of your choice

3rd thru 5th Place: T-shirt of your choice

The first place winner can choose which prize they want, followed by the second then the third.

Just send me a PM with your name and address and I will pay everything including shipping to any country in the world!!! This contest is not sponsored by UU.

DEADLINE:
12 PM HAWAII TIME, SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 2ND

Have fun folks and let's show the world how awesome the uke is!!

ENTRIES PLAYLIST: Check Often as it will be updated!!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE090049870D15411&feature=edit_ok

BONUS PLAYLIST: Check Often as it will be updated!!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFE8B92D12BD3279&feature=edit_ok

Last edited:
Doug was kind of enough to PM a few days ago telling me it's ok to post the contest Friday night or early Saturday so that people can have time to practice. We all know how difficult it is to learn a new song in a new genre in a week. Thanks Doug!

The Contest doesn't officially start until Sunday

Last edited:
That Song Choice criteria is going to cut way down on the variety of songs you get this week. Everyone will want to do the same 10 songs.

The Brittni thing is totally cool - way to go!

I've never heard a single song on that list, or for that matter, a song by any of the performers on that list. Any chance I can use a Billboard Hot 100 list from a year when I was actually listening to the radio? Maybe 1972??

Just kidding. Said it before, saying it again - I'm old :)

I don't know any of the songs either, because most of them haven't made it to this side of the pond yet, but a quick youtube seach has already revealed a couple good ones :)

The Brittni thing is totally cool - way to go!

I've never heard a single song on that list, or for that matter, a song by any of the performers on that list. Any chance I can use a Billboard Hot 100 list from a year when I was actually listening to the radio? Maybe 1972??

Just kidding. Said it before, saying it again - I'm old :)

I'm 41 so we are similar in age! Quoting Whitney, "I believe the children are our future Teach them well and let them lead the way" HAHA

We gotta show them how cool the uke is and on the flip side, we might pique their curiosity by seeing an older person playing "Whistle" LOL

That's what's great about Every Season, New Week, New Challenge!

Last edited:
That Song Choice criteria is going to cut way down on the variety of songs you get this week. Everyone will want to do the same 10 songs.

That's why their's 25 pts for emotion factor! I figure many people will pick a song they like. Secondly, I'm giving bonus pts for each add'l song. If you do 10 songs, I figure you have a very good chance to be a finalist. It's not all about winning but I did it this way to also bring exposure to the more popular songs! Besides, I would love to hear some of you push the boundries!!

Last edited:
I don't know any of the songs either, because most of them haven't made it to this side of the pond yet, but a quick youtube seach has already revealed a couple good ones :)

I know you'll do an awesome job as you've done Justin Bieber, Cee Lo, Rebecca Black in the past!!

I'm buying a round for the first person to do "Truck Yeah" with a straight face

You do love your country!!

The hardest thing for me is that I don't listen to these songs either so I'm gonna have to watch your video and the original video!

I just listened to it and it's catchy!

Last edited:
any chance we could multitrack this week? just the one time? pretty pretty please?

NEW RULES!!!

It must be a new video!!
The Ukulele must be the main instrument & state at the beginning it’s for Season 28 of the Ukulele
Post your videos in this thread

Three simple rules!

Hahaha- I was kidding mate, that ain't country. It is however hilarious, and I really want to see 23Skidoo do it ;)
You do love your country!!

The hardest thing for me is that I don't listen to these songs either so I'm gonna have to watch your video and the original video!

I just listened to it and it's catchy!

Wait- one of the rules is to put the song title as the title of the video? You do know that every video posted in the US is going to get pulled in seconds right?

Wait- one of the rules is to put the song title as the title of the video? You do know that every video posted in the US is going to get pulled in seconds right?

Yup, that's the tricky part and that's why I mention about the copyright disclaimers and so forth. There's many covers of the songs. I would appreciate if someone could post the best fail proof disclaimer so that people can copy and paste. Nothing is fail proof but there's tons of videos of popular songs.

Yeah really - FWIW, I posted a video of me playing Bach's Minuet in G a while back. Within minutes - MINUTES - I got a takedown notice because some band nobody's ever heard of claimed copyright infringement over the word "minuet." They don't mess around.

Top Bottom