Building first uke, need advice! Also first post!

Snakefarm

Reaction score
Hello! I just got back from Kauai, Hawaii, a couple of days ago, and while I was on vacation there I picked up a Kamoa 500 series concert ukulele (the second one I own, not including a Yamaha guitalele!) which I'm ABSOLUTELY in love with. Well, it must have been something about the aloha spirit that really got me in the mood to create my own ukulele. Now trust me, I KNOW that it's not easy, but I have lots of spare time and I figured this would be the place to come for help, and you've got to start somewhere, right? So I started looking around and decided I want to build a tenor (actually, I want to build whatever you guys say is easier, but if they're all the same difficulty I'd like a tenor ^^). I came across a guy on Ebay with really good ratings, etc., and saw this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luthiers-Te...Accessories&hash=item35bf3389b8#ht_500wt_1414 which I thought was beautiful, along with a lot of other wood. So, I guess what I'm really asking is, how the heck do I do this? I've done a little bit of research, but I'd really like to know how much it would cost to make something worth making, how long it would take, where to get the wood, what kind of wood to get, etc.. Please, help if you can! Mahalo! :D:D:D

I'm new to this as well, I'm set up to build furniture so I'm still waiting on a few tools (and finishing the latest honey-do list). Check your library for guitar and ukulele building books (not the same but the more concepts you learn.) I've even found some videos at the library.

There's also some great youtube videos out there.

Try to learn about the woods your going to use and the differences in how it's milled.

Everyone has a different way of doing it. The more info the better

get as many books as you can. guitar building books are great, but don't expect ukuleles to be exactly the same process. The trick is to read four or six different approaches and hybridize or pick and choose techniques. But don't get bogged down with information. Read for a couple weeks then dive in and make mistakes. Search for the most simplistic techniques.

When I built my first uke, I used the hana lima 'ia ukulele construction manual. I highly recommend it.

If you want to get in the good graces of the many people here who are generous enough to share their knowledge and experience, do some leg work. A lot of the questions you (or I or anyone) might have are already answered here in the forum somewhere. I've found if I google search "Ukulele Underground Forum (question I have)", I get better results than if I just used the search engine on the forum itself.

I can't stress this enough: If you want the assistance of the professionals who post on this board, you gotta do your own research first. All the basic stuff is out there and easy to find. *Then* you come back here and ask the unusual questions, when you come up against something odd or you've painted yourself into a corner.

I agree with dofthesea, as well. I'd choose a more manageable wood for your first build. Try looking at some mahogany sets or checking out some kits (Hana Lima 'Ia, Stewmac and Grizzly offer ukulele kits.)

And don't forget: Once you get started, post your progress pics here!

Good luck!

I'm so impressed by the responses of the newbies :) Can't really add to that until you get a bit more info digested. Do your research!

My take on it. Tenor or concert relatively easy compared to soprano. It's either of these that I let my students pick.

Check out your local library, Youtube and Google.

Read, read, read...do.
Read, read, read...do.
Read, read, read...do.
Do a little bit each time, then do a lot more reading. Don't try to to rush through one more tiny step at the end of a session. Don't have your mobile phone switched on when you're working on your uke especially when you're gluing. Keep your workspace clear of unnecessary stuff.
The further you get into your uke, the more careful you become as each new step has a greater potential to stuff up the good work you've already done. First ukes are terrifying but so much fun. Enjoy yourself.

Wow, I'm really impressed with these responses.. Thanks guys! Time to take a trip to the library! This may seem a little off-topic, and if it would be better for me to just start another thread for it I could, but which tuners are best for concert ukes? I don't really like the tension tuners I got stock on my kamoa, and I was thinking I'd Grover's on once I find out the dimensions of the existing tuners. Mahalo

My thoughts would be to stay away from Zebrawood for a first uke. I love it but it tends to have the tendency to split for me. I would go with a nice Honduran Mahogany for a first wood. Good Luck! You're onto an exciting and wonderful journey! I commend you!

Hello! I just got back from Kauai, Hawaii, a couple of days ago, and while I was on vacation there I picked up a Kamoa 500 series concert ukulele (the second one I own, not including a Yamaha guitalele!) which I'm ABSOLUTELY in love with. Well, it must have been something about the aloha spirit that really got me in the mood to create my own ukulele. Now trust me, I KNOW that it's not easy, but I have lots of spare time and I figured this would be the place to come for help, and you've got to start somewhere, right? So I started looking around and decided I want to build a tenor (actually, I want to build whatever you guys say is easier, but if they're all the same difficulty I'd like a tenor ^^). I came across a guy on Ebay with really good ratings, etc., and saw this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luthiers-Te...Accessories&hash=item35bf3389b8#ht_500wt_1414 which I thought was beautiful, along with a lot of other wood. So, I guess what I'm really asking is, how the heck do I do this? I've done a little bit of research, but I'd really like to know how much it would cost to make something worth making, how long it would take, where to get the wood, what kind of wood to get, etc.. Please, help if you can! Mahalo! :D:D:D

You don't say if you have any wood working experience or tools. Do you?

Oregon Myrtle is very easy to bend- great for beginners. sounds like maple, which sounds brighter then koa or mahogany.

I do not have experience. I do have a table saw, but I'm not sure which tools I need....? I just really want to get started and learn.

If your new to woodworking in general you may also want to look into some of the videos over at http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/ (he has a lot of "new to wood working" videos)

Things like how to properly set up your table saw will make a difference. I started building furniture from general framing and am trying to "refine" myself further. The more you know the safer and more enjoyable any kind of wood working will be. Mark's videos at the wood whisperer can also show you about lumber properties (there are way more concerns is this discipline) but it's a start.

If you don't have the tools to mill your lumber I think a kit will be a good option, they get a lot of decent reviews. I've also noticed a number of ebay sellers that provide sets (just back and sides) so you'll have to mill the rest of your materials, not sure of those sellers quality but it's an option.

The other aspects like finishing (my current struggle on some instrument repairs) is a whole other side of your project. I'm currently reading some forum posts on that, a ton of info (and arguments) out there.

Also check out videos on sharpening for your hand tools.

That's all I can recommend as a noob. Hope it helps.

Maple is a really is easy to bend and works very easy as well. It's all about the thicknesses of your sides which determine what is easy verses what is hard. Stay away from highly figured wood until you get more experience.

I just wanted to put in a plug for the Ebay seller (rivdriftr) you referenced in your 1st post. Kevin is a top notch honest guy and sells very nice wood. Do not have any reservations about purchasing from him. He has a lot more than what is shown on Ebay and if you contact him and tell him where you are in the learning curve he can probably guide you to some good wood to try. He comes across some very nice myrtle and mahogany too by the way.

Top Bottom