my first uke

all i can say is that my uke is in the same price range and it plays fine! i know i was nervous about paying so little before i got mine but it worked out fine for me so im sure that one will work out for you too!

Not a bad first uke if you are just getting hooked,but I predict that in a few months you will start wanting something a little better.

This seems to be the natural course of things and is exactly what happened to me when I began playing.

Ok, here are some thoughts on buying the first uke.
I think you should get the best uke you can afford that has good resale value.
Here is why:
1. You want an EASY TO PLAY (PLAYABILITY) uke so you will play longer time periods when you play. A cheap uke usually has compromises in the fingerboard, frets and tuners making it harder to play.

2.You want to have the uke SOUND as nice as you can afford. Cheap ukes sound great in the hands of the masters, but in the hands of begginers a consistant sound that rings and sustains as it resonates is a great resource to play longer periods when you play.

3. You want good RESALE for 2 reasons. First, if the uke is not for you it can be sold for a fair price quickly. Second, You will probably become afflicted with UAS ( must.... have.... more.... ukes.....!). SO , some makers have a reputation of being easier to resale than others.

That being said if you had a budget of twice as much as you were looking at....from $60.00 to $120.00 you would find those things mentioned above at a much higher payoff more than 2x the price. AND if you could go to just a little more you could get a better return on the above qualities.
My list of suggestions would include:

The Flea or Fluke.

Ohana solid top.

And others as I think about it.

Another thing to consider is soprano vs concert vs tenor.

My experience as I am starting is that the roomier fretboard of a tenor allow me to play , longer, better and just have more fun. I also have a soprano that when I play it makes me be more percise that helps me in the longrun. I use the tenor to learn something and the soprano to get tighter with the fretting skill set.

If you want to get better playing any insturment it is all about spending time "behind the box" as my mandolin teacher tells me. The more you play the more fun you have!

i started out with a soprano ukulele. sopranos are the most widely known if not the most widely played, and i just think its good to start in its original size. My recomendation is to get a concert. A concert uke is actually perfect, imo, for a beginner because its right in the middle of either a tenor or a soprano. If you get a concert, you can then decide if you want to have a smaller uke, or if you want to go with an even larger and more mellow sounding ukulele. I myself now play a tenor, but i still recomend getting a concert as your first uke.

Top Bottom