PDA

View Full Version : Are you known as the "ukulele" guy?

kissing
08-26-2012, 01:43 AM
I don't know how widespread the uke is in other parts of the world, but where I am (Australia), I can't help but feel like the only ukulele enthusiast around.

By enthusiast, I mean someone who actually plays the instrument and has a healthy UAS appetite (not just someone who buys a Mahalo and leaves it in the closet).

Today I was going to drive somewhere with dad.
I started my car, and the radio came on. Brother Iz's Somewhere over the rainbow just happened to be playing, and after a while, he asks if I have my mp3-player plugged into the car.

"Isn't this one of your recordings?"

Had the biggest facepalm moments of my life (although a bit flattered).

coolkayaker1
08-26-2012, 02:02 AM
Bruddah Iz comes on, and people I'm with say, "That sounds just like your toy guitar!"

bonesigh
08-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Heh, I love this. I had the coolest thing happen to me at the Strathmore MD uke and guitar summit where we learned from the pro's. This older lady and her husband walked up to me the day after I had played an original song at the open mic we had before our nightly private concerts. I played my song )"Next Time" I'm commin' back Hawaiian). She was asking for my autograph. I just laughed because I thought surely this was a joke! But no, she was serious. She said that they laughed all the way home the night before and now I was part of her memories. So she had me sign her ukulele. I was so taken and honored. It was amazing.

rasputinsghost
08-26-2012, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I'm known as the 'ukulele guy. Hard to get annoyed about that though!

pulelehua
08-26-2012, 06:04 AM
Ukulele guy. Ukulele teacher. Teacher with a ukulele. Guy who got all these kids playing these ukuleles. Can you believe he also runs the chess club?

I get a lot of labels...

;)

mcwhitlow
08-26-2012, 06:05 AM
I was at at birthday party for a coworker's son yesterday. He unwraps an LU-21 and all heads swivel to me. I got him an Avengers shirt.

Dan Uke
08-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Heh, I love this. I had the coolest thing happen to me at the Strathmore MD uke and guitar summit where we learned from the pro's. This older lady and her husband walked up to me the day after I had played an original song at the open mic we had before our nightly private concerts. I played my song )"Next Time" I'm commin' back Hawaiian). She was asking for my autograph. I just laughed because I thought surely this was a joke! But no, she was serious. She said that they laughed all the way home the night before and now I was part of her memories. So she had me sign her ukulele. I was so taken and honored. It was amazing.

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing

spookefoote
08-26-2012, 06:10 AM
I am known as many things........................... None of them can be published on here!

MisterRios
08-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Actually, aside from a few friends and the people at my uke meet-up, no one knows I play Ukulele.

janeray1940
08-26-2012, 07:50 AM
At the guitar- and banjo-centric music shop where I take lessons, the employees who either don't know/can't remember/can't pronounce my first name just call me Ukulele Girl. "How's it going, Ukulele Girl?" "See ya soon, Ukulele Girl!" - I kinda like it :)

Dan Uke
08-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Many people are known by "Fill in the Blank" guy or girl but do we embrace and share? It would be awesome if we could be proud of what we like and believe.

I know I'm not the most bold when it comes to my faith...

uke4ia
08-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm definitely known at work as the ukulele guy. And that's fine with me.

Zee
08-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Yup, I'm teacher with the ukulele too.

coolkayaker1
08-26-2012, 09:05 AM
At the guitar- and banjo-centric music shop where I take lessons, the employees who either don't know/can't remember/can't pronounce my first name just call me Ukulele Girl. "How's it going, Ukulele Girl?" "See ya soon, Ukulele Girl!" - I kinda like it :)

Maybe they just call you "Uke Girl" once they get to know you.

I'm sick of being known as the guy with the toy guitar!

Bob Bledsoe
08-26-2012, 09:32 AM
No offense to the instrument, but I don't like being referred to as "the ukulele girl".

mattydee
08-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Yep. But it's definitely a good thing in my peer group...

DaveY
08-26-2012, 10:00 AM
I was at at birthday party for a coworker's son yesterday. He unwraps an LU-21 and all heads swivel to me. I got him an Avengers shirt.

But . . . did you take credit for the LU-21 anyway?

MGM
08-26-2012, 10:03 AM
I think I'm known as "Trouble"...Everywhere I walk in they say "here comes trouble" lol

Mandalyn
08-26-2012, 10:21 AM
They usually just say I am obsessed, but I don't mind.. it is true. :]

Tootler
08-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm not exactly the ukulele guy but at local folk clubs I get comments like "Geoff with the guitar that shrunk in the wash"

Pippin
08-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Yes, and proud of it (but on the Ohana website, they called me a "guitar guy" before the redesign.

Chris Tarman
08-26-2012, 12:59 PM
After the first meeting of the ukulele club I am trying to get going, one of the guys there sent me an email and told me that his sister writes for our local paper and wanted to do a story on the club. I did a phone interview with her, and a few days later got a call from a photographer from the paper, who wanted to set up time for a photo shoot for the story. We went to the park down my street and he took a bunch of pictures of me playing and of my ukes sitting around in the grass. Several weeks later, BAM! I'm on the cover of the "local scene" section of the paper. I got a few calls about the club, picked up a few new members, and yes, I have been referred to by friends and strangers as "The Ukulele Guy".

Hippie Dribble
08-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Ukulele guy. Ukulele teacher. Teacher with a ukulele. Guy who got all these kids playing these ukuleles. Can you believe he also runs the chess club?

I get a lot of labels...

;)

he he...yeah John. I am you. But table tennis trumps chess in Birralee.

I'm even known as the uke freak/geek at the local music shops...an infamous title hard earned over 10 years of asking the same question: "hey guys, any likelihood of getting some other ukes in at the moment, besides the colored mahalos?" :o and, "do you have any strings aside from aquilas?"

thankfully the world has caught up to us finally and now the shop is full of ukuleles of many brands. happy days... :)

kvehe
08-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Yes, I am known as the ukulele obsessive - probably has something to do with having two in my office (a green Dolphin and Willie Wixom tenor # 134).

Kathryn

Kem
08-26-2012, 05:19 PM
I play a number of different instruments, but over the course of the last year, I've been performing a lot of my own amusing geeky songs on the ukulele, and I'm pretty sure I am known as "that ukulele lady" in certain circles.

ricdoug
08-26-2012, 07:45 PM
There are a handful of locals that have dubbed me Mr. Ukulele, because I'm involved in a lot of local ukulele activity. I actually play more guitar, than ukulele. When I have the time I participate in drum circles, too. The way I handle the hecklers is to gift them an ukulele like a Makala and then teach them how to play. Music and music education are a passion of mine and I'm actively involved in keeping them alive:

http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org/pressroom/148-ford-donation-2011

That same grant has been given for the 2012 year. We also work with local grants for getting ukuleles into local schools and help get them started and running with educational materials. Empressa Elementary has more than doubled the 15 ukuleles that we donated to them. We donated them to Debbie Phillips' class. She and her husband Gary are passionate about Hawai'ian culture. Their music teacher was super excited when he found out.

http://www.vusd.k12.ca.us/es/Empresa/Phillips/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.vusd.k12.ca.us/es/Empresa/Phillips/Pages/TheALOHAPage.aspx

http://www.vusd.k12.ca.us/es/Empresa/Phillips/Lists/Mrs%20Phillips%20Calendar%20of%20Events/DispForm.aspx?ID=4.0.2012-08-03T00:00:00Z&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Evusd%2Ek12%2Eca%2Eus%2Fe s%2FEmpresa%2FPhillips%2FLists%2FMrs%2520Phillips% 2520Calendar%2520of%2520Events%2Fcalendar%2Easpx

http://www.vusd.k12.ca.us/es/Empresa/Phillips/Pages/UkuleleFUN.aspx

The preservation of musical arts lies soley in our own hands, as school budgets shrink, arts are chopped first. Ric

ukegirl
08-27-2012, 03:08 AM
I often hear me being refered to as the Ukulele Girl, Uke girl or ukulele jamie....When it was coming from some of my "grown up size instrument" freinds it was meant to take a gentile stab against an instrument they considered silly....but you know what, like many of you I've become pretty proud of our "little guitars" and enjoy playing out to an audience or just messing around strumming on my couch, and really missed my time off from the instrument while my shoulder somewhat healed up a bit....

Sporin
08-27-2012, 05:39 AM
yeah, the uke has become a noted part of "me" at this point. When friends see a uke story, they post it to my facebook wall, when I show up at parties, they ask "did you bring your uke?" stuff like that.

:) :) :)

joeybug
08-27-2012, 05:58 AM
yeah, the uke has become a noted part of "me" at this point. When friends see a uke story, they post it to my facebook wall, when I show up at parties, they ask "did you bring your uke?" stuff like that.

:) :) :)

I don't get the parties bit (mostly because I don't go to any parties) but I do get Uke stories on my FB wall and email and such...people see Ukulele and think of me, well my friends do anyway!

bonesigh
08-28-2012, 03:28 AM
That's great Chris. Keep it up!

After the first meeting of the ukulele club I am trying to get going, one of the guys there sent me an email and told me that his sister writes for our local paper and wanted to do a story on the club. I did a phone interview with her, and a few days later got a call from a photographer from the paper, who wanted to set up time for a photo shoot for the story. We went to the park down my street and he took a bunch of pictures of me playing and of my ukes sitting around in the grass. Several weeks later, BAM! I'm on the cover of the "local scene" section of the paper. I got a few calls about the club, picked up a few new members, and yes, I have been referred to by friends and strangers as "The Ukulele Guy".

bonesigh
08-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks to a grant we got last year we now have 25 ukes in our school. Had the first club meeting last Friday. Had 25 kids show up! Good thing some of them had their own uke. More might show up this Friday!

I think it's fantastic that you are helping out the schools. Keep it up and mahalo!

There are a handful of locals that have dubbed me Mr. Ukulele, because I'm involved in a lot of local ukulele activity. I actually play more guitar, than ukulele. When I have the time I participate in drum circles, too. The way I handle the hecklers is to gift them an ukulele like a Makala and then teach them how to play. Music and music education are a passion of mine and I'm actively involved in keeping them alive:

http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org/pressroom/148-ford-donation-2011

That same grant has been given for the 2012 year. We also work with local grants for getting ukuleles into local schools and help get them started and running with educational materials. Empressa Elementary has more than doubled the 15 ukuleles that we donated to them. We donated them to Debbie Phillips' class. She and her husband Gary are passionate about Hawai'ian culture. Their music teacher was super excited when he found out.

http://www.vusd.k12.ca.us/es/Empresa/Phillips/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.vusd.k12.ca.us/es/Empresa/Phillips/Pages/TheALOHAPage.aspx

http://www.vusd.k12.ca.us/es/Empresa/Phillips/Lists/Mrs%20Phillips%20Calendar%20of%20Events/DispForm.aspx?ID=4.0.2012-08-03T00:00:00Z&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Evusd%2Ek12%2Eca%2Eus%2Fe s%2FEmpresa%2FPhillips%2FLists%2FMrs%2520Phillips% 2520Calendar%2520of%2520Events%2Fcalendar%2Easpx

http://www.vusd.k12.ca.us/es/Empresa/Phillips/Pages/UkuleleFUN.aspx

The preservation of musical arts lies soley in our own hands, as school budgets shrink, arts are chopped first. Ric