Ukulele Worship

salukulady

Reaction score
In less than a year, this is what the uke has brought into my life.

It has brought my four children and I together playing music. We all play other instruments, but because we learned to play the uke at the same time, we have grown together.

My husband and I have come together. Although he doesn't play, (yet), he is the reason there are 11 uke strewn about my living room. He loves to find a good deal and is always online finding me something I can't live without. He is also the sound man with my band, and my band wouldn't have happened without the uke.

I have made approximately 200 new real life friends with the 3 different uke groups I play with. These are people that have helped me each week to stretch my abilities as a musician in a safe non-threatening or competitive environment. And they have made it FUN!

Teaching-I am going to be teaching uke to children through our local city recreation department starting in January. I can't wait to spread the love.

My band. This has been the most unexpected joy I have experienced. When the band leader asked me to join them, I looked over my shoulder because I was sure she was talking to someone else. "You want me to be in your band?" I play with 4 of the most non-threatening, lei'd back, FUN women musicians on the planet. Each Sunday we gather in my garage to practice, and each week I am amazed at how far we've come in such a short time.

UU - Started playing uke in Late January 2008. My husband found this site for me a week later and I joined in February. I log on every day and have learned so much from you all. You are all so easy going and so full of great information. I got to meet Aldrine, Ryan and Aaron in July at Island Bazaar. They were the first "online friends" I had ever met in real life.....it was surreal, and wonderful. I can't wait until they come back to CA.....

So, please share, what has the uke done to change your life?

Hey, funny. I started playing around the same time as you. Well, that's a very nice "isn't it a small world?" lump of positiveness just for grabs.

As for what the uke has brought me since then: sleepless nights over purchasing another one (need...high...and...low...Ggggggzzzzz.....), nightmares about the teacher / ukulele coach who teaches me ("No! No! You have to wait 1/8th before hitting that note! and your fingers are too slow! and jazz goes from side to side, not up and down!") who is actually a really passionate teacher and a very nice person, complaints from my other side that playing Crazy G 46 times in a row, although admittedly a feat of pure physical strength, is not what the public would want to hear, let alone the person next to you on the couch, and many other unforgettable experiences.

I did give a soprano uke to a potential ukulelist in Korea, which is still like the ukulelical equivalent of the Sahara desert with Mahalo ukes being displayed proudly as top-of-the-crop gear... apparently a national Uke Association was founded recently, so maybe things are going for the better.

Ukulele worship... I did go to a concert called Ukulele Grace (in a church) recently, with a lot of Japanese ukulelists (some Youtube-famous artists!) and also Bosko & Honey. Man, they are awesome. Perhaps I will do a small report on the concert and drop it on UU in a couple of days.

Ukulele has really changed my life as well.
Now,1)I am never bored,or looking for something to do.
2)If I'm having a bad day,I have an instant escape.
3)I have a new creative outlet to keep my brain young-ish.
4)I've met some of the absolutely coolest people I've ever known,and most of them,I haven't even met in person but feel confident that I can call them my friends.

There is really something special about ukuleles.

It lets me find an escape when the whole world seems to box me in a cage. When the ukulele starts playing the whole world seems to stop and everyone seems to hold hands, close their eyes, and just enjoy the moment. No other instrument in the world can bring people together in peace like the ukulele can. the uke is the light in the darkness when it seems that the sun has burnt out.

ukulele= happiness. so thats why i play

:)

Me too

I started playing uke 4 years ago this month. The uke has gotten me through 3 dreary winters without the customary depression. I have found new confidence in myself through the uke. I have performed for large church groups several times, including singing. My interests have expanded to playing banjo and tenor guitar because of the uke. I have built a uke from a Stewart Mac kit and plan on building one from scratch. I have attended 3 ukulele festivals in Calif and have met some great people both in person and on 5 differerent forums. I will be retiring in 6 months and when I am asked what i will do with my time, I reply, "ukulele."
(by the way, do to UAS I now have 9 ukes; including 2 banjo ukes, 2 banjos, two guitars, and a handcrafted 4 string folk instrument tuned like a baritone uke and shaped like an early mandolin.) The ukulele has changed my life greatly.

Last edited:
Ukulele has really changed my life as well.
Now,1)I am never bored,or looking for something to do.
2)If I'm having a bad day,I have an instant escape.
3)I have a new creative outlet to keep my brain young-ish.
4)I've met some of the absolutely coolest people I've ever known,and most of them,I haven't even met in person but feel confident that I can call them my friends.

There is really something special about ukuleles.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I've met 2 UUers and hope when I travel to meet more.

Hey, Preston! Great to see you here!

Welcome to UU.

Back on topic...

With the ukulele I've found my musical niche. I play a dozen or so different things but the uke fits me the best.

It combines "easy to play" with "constant challenge" and, for a Gemini (OK. Schizo.) guy like me that's as near to perfect as I can ask for.

Great stories. Mine's not so interesting. I was searching for how to play the super mario theme on guitar one day and came across Aldrine's insane video. Instantly hooked. Then I found Seeso, Jason Arimoto, and Julia Nunes. Totally sold me, bought a Uke the next day. I never had time to play it until about a week ago, because I was a bassist in a band. But I haven't put my Uke down since last week.

I am very happy to have found and instrument that's more fun to play, and so easy to write for. I've written 3 songs in the last week. Really fun.

Also, just want to add... It's so refreshing to find an instrument that sounds happy and bright. Whenever I play guitar or bass, dark music comes out. With a uke, I play very happy tunes and it better expresses how I feel inside, because I'm a very happy-go-lucky kind of guy. So that's how it's changed my life in the short time I've been obsessed with it.

Ok, we need details on this, because from what I know, there's a couple thousand miles separating the 3 of you. Road trip?

But why's Russ wearing a prison outfit?:biglaugh:

We found out many people in that region of NY wore pajamas out during the day. Always the trend-follower, Russ decided to don the pajamas that day.

So, please share, what has the uke done to change your life?

Driving me to the brink of poverty. Not to mention desperation and drink*.
And, of course, made me smile. Made my dog hide under the table. Made my wife roll her eyes. Made my local music store guy roll his eyes. Made my store employees roll their eyes... see, I'm getting people to exercise otherwise-underused muscles!

*Since I don't drink and drive, I was merely a passenger on this trip...

Ok, we need details on this, because from what I know, there's a couple thousand miles separating the 3 of you. Road trip?

be careful what you ask for.....lolz

AdelleTheGreat is the hostess with the mostest! She made me and Russ feel right at home. She had me washing dishes and Russ vacuuming floors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom